Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MG and bazookas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> MG and bazookas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MG and bazookas - 8/12/2012 6:42:47 PM   
Twotribes

Are these both front line units and best used on defense?
Post #: 1
RE: MG and bazookas - 8/12/2012 6:44:35 PM   
ernieschwitz

I think so...

I know that MGs are. Not sure about Bazookas, but it would make sense if they are.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 2
RE: MG and bazookas - 8/15/2012 5:39:18 PM   
Madlok

Bazookas are front units too. But they have more HP than other infantry, so they have better survivability.
Bazookas are better in defense but their favorite targets (tanks etc.) are better and have more HP in attack. In defense however infantry is usually entrenched, and tanks have penalties when they're attacking everything except plains, fields and deserts, so generally for infantry is better to defense.

< Message edited by Madlok -- 8/15/2012 6:00:10 PM >

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3
RE: MG and bazookas - 8/15/2012 7:08:32 PM   
Josh

With MG's you mean heavy Machine Guns? And not the Submachine Guns right? In that case yes, MG's are *perfect* on the defense. 5 of them or even maybe 10 in an Inf unit definitely keeps enemy Inf away, especially in forests and cities.
Bazookas I don't know... not fond of them. First is AT guns for me, they rule. Then later in the game Bazookas get added but they never get much tank kills, even when in cities and forests where armour is vulnerable... oh it works but it just ain't the tank killer I thought it would be. Or maybe I haven't experimented enough with them?

(in reply to Madlok)
Post #: 4
RE: MG and bazookas - 5/15/2013 4:58:39 PM   
Jenska

Bazookas can be more effective than AT in some circumstances, but head-to-head they don't do so in simple situations.

You have to keep in mind the difference in HP's and attack/defense strengths for each unit as well as the cost. At 1000 production units, you get ONE AT or 4 Bazookas. Thats 200 HP's vs 600, 1800 defense vs 1600, but only 600 attack vs 1000. Now armor has different A/D values against infantry vs artillery, but by putting some rifles or militia in the mix the bazookas survive longer than you might expect and you should ALWAYS have some infantry in an AT formation otherwise you lose the REAR area advantage of the AT units.

Some other items to keep in mind:
1. If you want to go on the offense against armor bazookas DO NOT have a terrain penalty, so the 1000 attack is still 1000, but the AT gets reduced to 300 or even 150 if you're not on the plains
2. You can buy 250, 500 or 1500 points worth of bazookas all at once, but not AT's, they're 1000 each.
3. Horses may not be expensive, but one horse carries 2500 bazooka attack and 4000 defense and 1500 hit points (cost 2700 prod, 10 raw), roughly the same cost (2400/10) gets you 2 horses and 2 AT's for 600 attack, 3600 defense and 400 hit points.
4. Bazookas entrench twice as fast as AT's
5. AT's have a higher defense initiative, but they have the same offensive intitiative.
6. Bazookas are FRONT line units, ATs are REAR

IMO - AT's are best in a static or slow moving situation, either to slow an advance or consolidate gains. Bazookas are better suited to a faster advance or to cover a rapid retreat.

I'm going to be experimenting with several interesting unit mixes soon, so I may start some new threads focusing on them.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 5
RE: MG and bazookas - 5/15/2013 7:08:18 PM   
jday305

1+ for Jenska's explaination of the difference between bazookas and ATs.

RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

(in reply to Jenska)
Post #: 6
RE: MG and bazookas - 5/15/2013 8:33:17 PM   
Hollywood

+1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenska

Bazookas can be more effective than AT in some circumstances, but head-to-head they don't do so in simple situations.

You have to keep in mind the difference in HP's and attack/defense strengths for each unit as well as the cost. At 1000 production units, you get ONE AT or 4 Bazookas. Thats 200 HP's vs 600, 1800 defense vs 1600, but only 600 attack vs 1000. Now armor has different A/D values against infantry vs artillery, but by putting some rifles or militia in the mix the bazookas survive longer than you might expect and you should ALWAYS have some infantry in an AT formation otherwise you lose the REAR area advantage of the AT units.

Some other items to keep in mind:
1. If you want to go on the offense against armor bazookas DO NOT have a terrain penalty, so the 1000 attack is still 1000, but the AT gets reduced to 300 or even 150 if you're not on the plains
2. You can buy 250, 500 or 1500 points worth of bazookas all at once, but not AT's, they're 1000 each.
3. Horses may not be expensive, but one horse carries 2500 bazooka attack and 4000 defense and 1500 hit points (cost 2700 prod, 10 raw), roughly the same cost (2400/10) gets you 2 horses and 2 AT's for 600 attack, 3600 defense and 400 hit points.
4. Bazookas entrench twice as fast as AT's
5. AT's have a higher defense initiative, but they have the same offensive intitiative.
6. Bazookas are FRONT line units, ATs are REAR

IMO - AT's are best in a static or slow moving situation, either to slow an advance or consolidate gains. Bazookas are better suited to a faster advance or to cover a rapid retreat.

I'm going to be experimenting with several interesting unit mixes soon, so I may start some new threads focusing on them.

(in reply to Jenska)
Post #: 7
RE: MG and bazookas - 5/16/2013 10:06:18 PM   
all5n

I use bazookas in Anti-Tank armored units. Because they can "ride" on the tanks, they don't slow it down.

It adds an additional AT punch for extra hits on the armored units that i am trying to take out.

(in reply to Hollywood)
Post #: 8
RE: MG and bazookas - 7/11/2013 4:47:21 AM   
Jenska

@all5n: I often spring for Light Tank II early for extra punch against other LT's and AC's. Not as powerful as Medium Tank (same PP cost) but less expensive to build and provides more individual units for better coverage. IN some games we don't get past 1 or 2 level II researches so the first choice is often key.

(in reply to all5n)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> MG and bazookas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI