weapon question

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

endoric_MatrixForum

weapon question

Post by endoric_MatrixForum »

some weapons are good vrs armor, some are good vrs shields. where do space monsters fall if i was to create a ship for killing them specifically?

rail guns pass shields but are bad vrs armor but damage componets, are they good vrs space monsters since they have no armor?
ehsumrell1

RE: weapon question

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello Endoric;

In my experiences I find that having a fast ship (Cruise speed 40 or higher) is the best defense
against the run of the mill space demon (Kaltor, Space Slug, Ardilus). To answer your original
question though, a good mix of Beam weapon fire, with a dose of torpedos takes care of them.

The ONE THING though to IMMEDIATELY take out of your sky is that damned SilverMist (we have forum member WiZz to thank for that)! Ship Ion weapons do the most direct damage to the SilverMist, with Fighters coming in a close second. The problem is though that the SilverMist is wickedly fast and shrewd when it attacks. Plus, if it splits and there are two or more in the vicinity, it can get even worse. They will, pardon the expression, gang-bang your fleet if you came weak (like bringing a knife to a gun fight....machine gun fight that is).
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Yea, all the spacemonsters need to get close to damage your ships.

So the key is long range weapons and fast, agile ships.

Early in the game you will struggle with some of them - especially large kalthors and the ardilius'es, but mircomanage a few agile ships and you'll outsmart them.

(though ardilius'es hurt and can take allot of beating, so you'll might want to stay away from those if you encounter them early)

Silvermists are rated a disaster by the game. And for a good reason. It can, as mentioned above - eat an entire fleet of ships, so bring ion weapons and fighters if you want to kill one.

(out of curiosity - how was WiZz involved with silvermists? Was it a feature suggestion?)
Wild_Bill

Post by Wild_Bill »

I thought I could take out the SilverMist through the Game Editor, but I must not have done it right since the SilverMist was still in game. As a result, the next game I just eliminated space monsters altogether. Shame really as the Kaltor, Space Slug, Ardilius were kind of fun to have in the game.
Persistence will take you places Talent never dreamed of.
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Check the "no disaster" checkmark during game setup. (or something similar)

That way you can keep the regular monsters, but as the slivermist is considered a distaster it will no longer be in the game.

(Though - it will remove the legendary pirates and some other events in addition to the Silvermist).
Wild_Bill

Post by Wild_Bill »

Thanks.
Persistence will take you places Talent never dreamed of.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Arcatus

(out of curiosity - how was WiZz involved with silvermists? Was it a feature suggestion?)

Actually Arcatus, there was a 'Creature Contest' held by Matrix for a new, dangerous space creature
to be added and introduced in the Legends expansion. There were SEVERAL excellent creations and
entries. See thread here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2933919

Unfortunately [:D] Wizz's creation/entry of the SilverMist nanocloud creature topped them
all by Matrix vote. I personally commend him on it (even though he beat out my entry) though, during
the testing of the Legends expansion, I witnessed numerous entire colonies and solar systems completely
DEVASTATED by those 'things'. As Arcatus just articulated on....they're NASTY!

Attachments
SilverMist Cloud.jpg
SilverMist Cloud.jpg (105.5 KiB) Viewed 141 times
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

+1

WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

For fighting Spcaemonsters: Woody's guide [:D]

1. Use range to your advantage. They don't shoot back so the longer the range the better. Torps seem to do a better job than missiles in my experience [;)]
2. Use fighters and bombers because the monsters as far as I can tell don't damage them at all. Also, if the monster runs away (I don't think they are actually fleeing, but I have seen them move away and my ships can't keep up) the fighters and bombers can catch up and kill them!
3. Use overwhelming force! They can't hit you from range, so take overwhelming force and use it to kill them before they reach your ships, focus all fire on a single monster. Or, if you have found and reclaimed a hi-tech ship, sometimes it can take out a whole bunch of monsters by itself!

[;)]

For Silvermists use Ion weapons, I *think* this is common knowledge, but just throwing it out there!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

The reason why you should use ion weapons on silvermists is that they are the only weapon that reduces the silvermist speed from 72 to a reasonable value...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Return to “The War Room”