Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

36000 casualties in one air strike?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> 36000 casualties in one air strike? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/11/2012 10:25:38 PM   
gravyface_

Playing Fall Weiss, sent a Stuka unit in for an air strike... to the tune of 36K casualties listed under the "Detailed Losses". Ummm, what? Looked up what a Dywizja Piechoty was (infantry division) and can't see a Polish infantry division having that many troops let alone taking that many casualties. Does that number not represent KIA soldiers?
Post #: 1
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/11/2012 10:53:13 PM   
gwgardner

In a previous thread someone reported that the parameter for calculating losses is being multiplied by ten or something like that. Has to be fixed.

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 2
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/12/2012 3:15:22 AM   
gravyface_

Ah ok. I'm assuming we'll be waiting a while for a fix for this?

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 3
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/12/2012 7:30:15 AM   
Rasputitsa

Deleted, double post.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 8/12/2012 8:07:04 AM >

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 4
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/12/2012 7:46:14 AM   
Rasputitsa

I am not sure if the casualty calculations need to be adjusted, there are others who will know better than I, but this example looks like a x10 error and I wonder if it transfers into the total casualty list in the report section.

However, in this scale of game (operational and strategic) the loses should not be seen as only KIA. If a division, or corps, breaks up under attack, there could be 10,000s of disorganised and demoralised men, without equipment, clogging the roads (France 1940), or heading for the forests (Russia 1941), they don't have to be KIA to be lost to a fighting unit and unable to fight.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 8/12/2012 8:48:36 AM >

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 5
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/12/2012 12:30:58 PM   
gravyface_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

I am not sure if the casualty calculations need to be adjusted, there are others who will know better than I, but this example looks like a x10 error and I wonder if it transfers into the total casualty list in the report section.

However, in this scale of game (operational and strategic) the loses should not be seen as only KIA. If a division, or corps, breaks up under attack, there could be 10,000s of disorganised and demoralised men, without equipment, clogging the roads (France 1940), or heading for the forests (Russia 1941), they don't have to be KIA to be lost to a fighting unit and unable to fight.

Well, it's hard to say: the turns are a week long and the units seem to be of the wing (Schlachtgeschwader) size, if one assumes that Luftflotte 1 (the actual unit represented) would've sent the entire wing for the attack (I/SG 3 for example)... still say that's too high. The division doesn't even have 36,000 men in it; that would be Corps size and I'm sure the unit represented is a Division IIRC.

Think there was only 336 Stukas that participated in Fall Weiss so the 25 losses I sustained doesn't seem right either.

Either way, finding this a glaring oversight/flaw/bug in the game to fail to accurately portray casualties.

< Message edited by gravyface_ -- 8/12/2012 3:15:18 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 6
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/12/2012 7:52:08 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: gravyface_
quote:

Well, it's hard to say: the turns are a week long and the units seem to be of the wing (Schlachtgeschwader) size, if one assumes that Luftflotte 1 (the actual unit represented) would've sent the entire wing for the attack (I/SG 3 for example)... still say that's too high. The division doesn't even have 36,000 men in it; that would be Corps size and I'm sure the unit represented is a Division IIRC.

Think there was only 336 Stukas that participated in Fall Weiss so the 25 losses I sustained doesn't seem right either.

Either way, finding this a glaring oversight/flaw/bug in the game to fail to accurately portray casualties.

I am agreeing that this particular example looks like a x10 error, but I also think we should not just be looking at losses in terms of only KIA, loses may run into large figures for many reasons that are not just those killed.

Does this error transfer into the loses data featured in the report section, or is it just a numbers display problem, are the actual calculations wrong, or is correct data being wrongly displayed.

The game works with units made up of strength points, purchased with PPs. If you lose a Corps with strength points of 6, it's the loss of those 6 strength points which is significant to the game mechanics, the notification of soldiers lost is window dressing and it is annoying if the figures are not relevant, but it shouldn't effect the game mechanics.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 8/13/2012 11:27:24 AM >

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 7
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/13/2012 5:08:23 PM   
doomtrader

Looks like this value is a bug, I will check it and if needed we are going to fix it for next patch.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 8
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/13/2012 5:34:54 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader
Looks like this value is a bug, I will check it and if needed we are going to fix it for next patch.

Is the 'next patch' for this item going to be 1.02, or the one after that.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 9
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/13/2012 6:02:46 PM   
doomtrader

The one after that.

I get a hint from Matrix that they will announce the patch today.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 10
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/13/2012 6:38:12 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

The one after that.

I get a hint from Matrix that they will announce the patch today.

On the issue of 1.02, that's good news, thanks.

On the possibility of the bug, do you think it is just an error in displaying combat results, or that the combat calculations could be in error.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 11
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/13/2012 6:56:44 PM   
doomtrader

We have been struggling with the displayed values for units in the meantime, so I'm not pretty sure at this moment which one might this be.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 12
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/13/2012 8:22:53 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

We have been struggling with the displayed values for units in the meantime, so I'm not pretty sure at this moment which one might this be.

OK, thanks for the info, I have been waiting for 1.02, but I will watch the combat results more closely.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 13
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/14/2012 11:09:53 AM   
Rasputitsa

In the Statistics of the Reports display there is a grand total of each nation's casualties, those suffered and inflicted, is this total taken from adding the numbers of men lost in the combat reports, or converted from the number of strength points lost ?

Is this total figure likely to be in error, or does it come from another source ?

Just about to get started with 1.02 and it would be nice to know how much reliance to place on the different numbers displays.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 14
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/17/2012 12:52:24 PM   
Meteor2

Needs adjustment quickly.

An attack of two german bombers with strength of 10 (so 4 single attacks) decimated a polish corps by 85000 men (!!!).
By the way, it was a strength 1 polish corps !

A single french bombardment (strength 7) against a single german corps gave 25000 casulties.

What a calculation...

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 15
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/17/2012 3:26:39 PM   
Rasputitsa

The displayed personnel casualty results are obviously way out, but the important thing is the loss of unit strength points, if these results are wrong then there is a big problem. If it is only a matter of transferring the correct unit strength loss results into a number of men, then it is annoying, but not critical.

Is it just a display error, or calculation fault, which would be much more serious. Hope Doomtrader can confirm which is the case.

Also, are each nation's total casualty figures in the reports section also inflated, or can they be relied on as correct.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 8/17/2012 3:28:16 PM >

(in reply to Meteor2)
Post #: 16
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/19/2012 2:04:56 AM   
marklv

This is a MAJOR defect! It's not just one unit - it's all the goddamn units in the game!!

How could this defect not have been spotted during testing? I just don't understand.

The other thing that has always annoyed me is why the USSR never surrenders, even if you kill, disable and/or capture 22 million soldiers etc. It's not realistic. And high losses should severely impact the quality of troops as the experienced soldiers are killed, disabled or captured - I don't know if this is calculated, probably not.

< Message edited by marklv -- 8/19/2012 2:07:58 AM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 17
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/28/2012 11:55:12 AM   
Meteor2

Hello Doomtrader,

any chance to get this fixed in the coming "hot fix patch" ?
It is really annoying and I ask myself, how it was possible to ignore this in the test phase of the previous patch.

(in reply to marklv)
Post #: 18
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/29/2012 1:49:23 AM   
gravyface_

quote:

-- snip --
Also, are each nation's total casualty figures in the reports section also inflated, or can they be relied on as correct.

They're inflated. One turn in and my casualties are 29K, Poles 355K.

Messing around with UnitComposition in consts_Germany.ini right now in the scenarios\1939 Grand Campaign Germany folder; who knows.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 19
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/29/2012 8:08:02 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

quote:

-- snip --

Messing around with UnitComposition in consts_Germany.ini right now in the scenarios\1939 Grand Campaign Germany folder; who knows.

OK, thanks, so although the figures are inflated, looks like x10, the combat is done in strength points which should be correct. The casualty error should be corrected in the hotfix, due out in September, so the link below says.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3171884

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 20
RE: 36000 casualties in one air strike? - 8/29/2012 2:09:41 PM   
gravyface_

quote:

quote:

quote:

-- snip --

OK, thanks, so although the figures are inflated, looks like x10, the combat is done in strength points which should be correct. The casualty error should be corrected in the hotfix, due out in September, so the link below says.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3171884

Good news! There's something (sadistically) satisfying about seeing accurate casualty counts. I know the strength indicator in most war games is a convenient (and necessary) abstraction based on a boatload of variables, but without an accurate body count, it's just not a wargame.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> 36000 casualties in one air strike? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI