Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT - Need some help regarding Tinian - Aug 1945

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT - Need some help regarding Tinian - Aug 1945 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT - Need some help regarding Tinian - Aug 1945 - 8/11/2012 2:44:32 AM   
scout1

Dating a wonderful woman who's grandfather was stationed in Tinian in Aug 1945. She has recently shared some of the photo's he took (apparently without permission) of a couple of B-29's .... One is the "Enola Gay" and the other is "The Great Artiste" .... Really cool seeing these old photos ...... So trying to help her backtrack some info on her grandfather. Looking to find out what units were stationed on Tinian during this time ....

Can anyone help ..... Thanks in advance ....
Post #: 1
RE: OT - Need some help regarding Tinian - Aug 1945 - 8/11/2012 6:10:21 AM   
CaptDave

Just some things I ran across while looking for something else, which turned out to have nothing relating to your question. Maybe some of the links in some of the articles will help you find more.

This chapter and the next talk about the invasion and capture of Tinian:

Campaign in the Marianas, Chapter 13

Mostly photos, but 504th Bomb Group:

US Army Air Corps 504th Bomb Group, Tinian

A tiny mention within an article about one unit:

1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, "Silver Lions"

Not directly what you're asking for, but an interesting article on Darrel S. Cole, a Marine bugler who spent a lot of time manning a machine gun at Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima (where he was killed). I think we all know about the ship named for him, which was attacked off Yemen a few years back.

Wikipedia: Darrel S. Cole

Some on Sgt. Cole's unit (which didn't stick around after the island was captured):

1st Battalion, 23 Marines

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 2
RE: OT - Need some help regarding Tinian - Aug 1945 - 8/11/2012 12:07:08 PM   
tocaff

My dad flew B-29s out of Tinian. Check out the 2 sites below.

http://www.b-29.org

http://www.9thbombgrouphistory.org

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 3
RE: OT - Need some help regarding Tinian - Aug 1945 - 8/11/2012 10:15:24 PM   
jcjordan

Can you tell if they're pre or post mission photos of the planes? If pre, I'd say he'd have to have been either in the 509th in some capacity or closely associated w/ the guarding or maintainence of the unit since it was off limits/on it's own from what I've read of the unit. If post mission, they'd just be soveneir type photos of a soldier taking photos of the a/c that did the missions.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 4
RE: OT - Need some help regarding Tinian - Aug 1945 - 8/12/2012 1:06:56 AM   
sanch

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff
My dad flew B-29s out of Tinian...

My father maintained B-29 instrument panels on Timian. I don't recall his squadron, but he was in the 20th BG, but not the same squadron as Enola Gay.

He was drafted in '42, prepped for a year for China, and deployed to Tinian shortly after it was taken (it was still not really secure - he took his rifle everywhere he went).

I still have his dog tags ...

Check out the museum in Tucson - a big section devoted to the 20th BG - group photos and all.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 5
RE: OT - Need some help regarding Tinian - Aug 1945 - 8/12/2012 1:54:01 AM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Can you tell if they're pre or post mission photos of the planes? If pre, I'd say he'd have to have been either in the 509th in some capacity or closely associated w/ the guarding or maintainence of the unit since it was off limits/on it's own from what I've read of the unit. If post mission, they'd just be soveneir type photos of a soldier taking photos of the a/c that did the missions.

photo's appear to be both prior and after (according to my google effort). Tail art of 2 photo's were arrow in circle, which was the original artwork. Changed to "R" in circle just prior to mission. other photo's show Enola Gay nose art which was apparently added just prior to the first mission, so likely post mission.
Not sure when "The Great Artiste" was added for nose art. This was the instrumentation aircraft for both bomb drops. Photo shoes the "The Great Artiste' nose art ....

Not likely part of the "airbase' direct ....His letters put him in the 184th infantry at Okinawa till June 45 .... Presumably sinus related problems bounced him to Siapan then Tinian for TDY ........

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT - Need some help regarding Tinian - Aug 1945 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI