Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pelton vs MT

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pelton vs MT Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 3:26:06 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Pelton, even under the best circumstances, the Red Army morale is crap in 1942. Mid 40ish on average. A few dozen guards rifle divisions doesn't move the needle much here. The morale is basically baked into the game.

The real variable is first of all: how large it is going into 1942? And secondly, where is it at and how much terrain does it have to play with. I can hardly imagine a more favorable situation for the Soviets than the one you have handed to Michael.

The rope a dope thing you are planning can be countered. You've effectively given him a free setup, with 8 million or more men and replacement pools flowing to infinity. You are going to find out that morale, in fact, is not everything, and that quantity has a quality of its own, particularly when allied with time and space.

As you know he alrdy had the 8 million man SHC army in the bag if I pulled back or not. Hugh has 7.3 million in our game and MT has lost less men and holds more manpower centers before I pulled back. So the 8 million thing is nothing new and was 100% predictable as you know.

Kamil had 10 million, had a much better blizzard(higher morale), I had less men and much lower moral by June 42.
You also know that core high morale(guards) are the ones that get lines moving in 43, causing the bubble.

So I have seen this and have exp vs it in more then one case personally.

vs Kamil who had much higher manpower #/ I was not using reserve mode in 43/ + less germans/ + much lower german morale/ I still would have held out until December 44 or Jan 45 as we stopped playing in early November 44, 10 hexes from Berlin.

This game I do have max GHC OOB/max german morale and lower SHC manpower #s.

So even if I only go to rivers and hold using reserve mode in 43, I will still be in a much better shape then I was in my game vs Kamil. Much much better.

I see this game at a min based on past personal exp going past Jan 45 no problem.

Kamil knew then how to build a SHC 2.0 army and had past exp building and using them. MT has zip exp other then what he learns from you and others. Kamil is as good as anyone at using what he has at hand.

Flaviusx you know as I do MT blizzard O would have crippled the GHC army and by late 44 be in Berlin, that is why hes undefeated as SHC and GHC with only 2 of 30 games getting into 42.

No one has ever "farmed" morale all of 41 then pulled back. I am the first.

The GHC guys that have pulled back were already defeated, low morale, lost 10-30 divisions during blizzard, lost 17+ morale per division not counting retreats, lost 600,000 to 1,000,000 men to general winter. The games as you can see reading the AAR's last until Dec 44 or early 45.

I have in general 20+ more morale pts per division and will have far far more troops then anyone thats tried this to date

quote:

that quantity has a quality of its own, particularly when allied with time and space.

I am 100% counting on that fact.

The GHC's quantity and quality is higher then it will have ever been by June 42. We have all seen 10 million man SHC armys, thats nothing new.

I had nothing to lose by taking complete control of the tempo of the game from 41 to 45.
If I did the standard GHC stuff of which MT has trashed by March 42 I would have just been one of many. I am not one of many and never have been.

I have set the table and now it will play out for better or worse.

MT is probably kicking himself right now for having been evacing out industry up until a few turns ago for no reason. He built a blizzard army with no wheres to go.

Just for following me far hes lossing allot of trucks/men/tanks ect. TDV has exp for following poeple to far, he was lossing 100k a turn to artition because of a lack of trucks during spring of 42 and early summer.

Things are allot different then what you have been reading in the past in this game.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 10/7/2012 3:44:33 AM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmyypGyfng&list=PLrY4H4gWWBircAjo

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 61
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 9:41:58 AM   
glvaca

quote:

Pelton, even under the best circumstances, the Red Army morale is crap in 1942. Mid 40ish on average. A few dozen guards rifle divisions doesn't move the needle much here. The morale is basically baked into the game.

The real variable is first of all: how large it is going into 1942? And secondly, where is it at and how much terrain does it have to play with. I can hardly imagine a more favorable situation for the Soviets than the one you have handed to Michael.

The rope a dope thing you are planning can be countered. You've effectively given him a free setup, with 8 million or more men and replacement pools flowing to infinity. You are going to find out that morale, in fact, is not everything, and that quantity has a quality of its own, particularly when allied with time and space.

That is not really true and I can easily prove it. Even in 1941 the Soviet divisions can easily be trained to around 50 morale. Just keep them back 10+ hexes and on refit. It won't take long for even a starting division of 35 morale to reach the 50 morale zone.
Once in 1942, it becomes even pretty easy to "train" morale upto 52 and perhaps more.
A 50/50 morale/exp riffle division will be a 3CV, perhaps 4CV if full strength. Have enough of these and some good defensive terrain and forts and the German isn't going anywhere in a hurry.

Sure, you'll have to work for it, rail out units, rest & refit behind the lines. In this game, MT will have an easy opportunity to train as there are no German units in sight.

I predict this game is going to move to a German turtle in a hurry. Whether MT will be able to break the strong German defensive is what will remain to be seen.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 62
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 11:25:42 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: glvaca

I predict this game is going to move to a German turtle in a hurry. Whether MT will be able to break the strong German defensive is what will remain to be seen.

What is surpising or has been in my past 2 games is how critical trucks and supplies at to SHC units from April to July 1942.

Both times the atrition rate was higher then replasement rate for several months/morale drops now because of a lack of supplies and how many units simply surrended because of dropping morale and no supplies.

TDV's army was only around 4.5 million come spring and he did not have enough trucks, I am not sure what a 8+ million man army will have for issues come mud season, but I am guessing it will not be a good thing.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 63
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 11:37:53 AM   
glvaca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: glvaca

What is surpising or has been in my past 2 games is how critical trucks and supplies at to SHC units from April to July 1942.

Both times the atrition rate was higher then replasement rate for several months/morale drops now because of a lack of supplies and how many units simply surrended because of dropping morale and no supplies.

TDV's army was only around 4.5 million come spring and he did not have enough trucks, I am not sure what a 8+ million man army will have for issues come mud season, but I am guessing it will not be a good thing.

Then it all comes down to how quickly MT can build up his supply lines. IF he's sensible, by now he'll have a goodly amount of RR brigades. Don't underestimate the speed of Russian rail road conversion if pushed to extremes.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 64
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 12:26:37 PM   
Flaviusx

Soviet morale is higher in 41 than 42. It craters in 42 and doesn't begin climbing again until September.

I am speaking here of averages. It is possible to get some limited number of units to relatively high morale. But taken as whole, you'll be very lucky to be much over 45 morale by mid year.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 65
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 12:37:42 PM   
glvaca

quote:

Soviet morale is higher in 41 than 42. It craters in 42 and doesn't begin climbing again until September.

I am speaking here of averages. It is possible to get some limited number of units to relatively high morale. But taken as whole, you'll be very lucky to be much over 45 morale by mid year.

This ss is from my Sj80 game a while back which ended on turn 54.
Please note this is the bottom of the slide with 375 units selected. All Inf. Divs, nothing else. To top of the screen notes 47 morale. 47!
Many units are above or on 50 morale!

It is perfectly possible as the Soviet to game the system to have an above average of 50 start of spring 42.
In fact, your "ignorance" of this obvious fact is so suspecious (as the known Expert on the subject) as to be, well, "suspecious". Let's not insult each other and stick to the facts pls.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/7/2012 12:45:10 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 66
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 12:39:39 PM   
glvaca

This is the top of the pile:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 10/7/2012 12:40:03 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 67
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 12:41:42 PM   
glvaca

And the Corps:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 68
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 12:44:33 PM   
glvaca

The Soviet Army is nowhere near the easy, 1cv ants Army some would have it be in 1942. Or at least ik can be.

Take away (some) of the morale restrictions imposed on the Germans in the blizzard and I'm sure the game will be much the better for it.

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 69
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 12:48:58 PM   
Flaviusx

That's a very partial listing that includes many guards.

Take a list of all your rifle divisions and take the average.

Beyond that, the Red Army is coming off a blizzard counteroffensive high. Going into the summer and fall of 42, the German is going to knock those numbers down, especially if he manages to pocket stuff and force fresh drafts.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 10/7/2012 12:53:23 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 70
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 1:17:44 PM   
glvaca

quote:

That's a very partial listing that includes many guards.

Take a list of all your rifle divisions and take the average.

Beyond that, the Red Army is coming off a blizzard counteroffensive high. Going into the summer and fall of 42, the German is going to knock those numbers down, especially if he manages to pocket stuff and force fresh drafts.

The turn is 54, first turn of summer clear.

I concluded after reading your reply you may have missed the obvious point. The 47 morale units you see (out of 375 listed) are the bottom displaying only, what?, 50 units?
There only divisions and yes, I have Guards in between, but since I already have a substantial number of Guards Corps (other ss), not that many.
And there are other screens which point, no prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that your proclaimed "average" of 45 is simply not true, if you game the system. What's more, you proclaim to be in total ignorance of this fact. _really_ very strange....

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 71
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 1:25:55 PM   
Flaviusx

Yes, and the German summer offensive has presumably not gotten started yet.

The average here is probably somewhere in the high 40s. After retreats and some pocketing that average can be forced downwards. I stand by my original point.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 72
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 3:09:17 PM   
TulliusDetritus

glvaca, from my own experience I would say Flaviusx is correct. At the end of the blizzard I had pulled back 100 rifle divisions. Refit mode + 10 hexes from the enemy. They had enough time to regain morale. They did.

I did the same with frontline units. I rotated to lowest morale units, (refit + 10 hexes), rinse and repeat...

Then came the German offensive...

In short, no Soviet unit morale (during the summer 42) survives contact with the enemy. This gained morale (refit + rear) simply melted like snow under the sun

That's what I discovered.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 10/7/2012 3:11:31 PM >

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 73
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/7/2012 4:54:56 PM   
Klydon

Well, this is going to be an interesting 1942.

One of the things that changes in 1942 compared to 1941 is the Russians go from not caring how many counters they lose to having counter management come into a big priority for them. I think Pelton will have his work cut out for him, but if he hits some pockets and removes enough counters from the map, Michael is going to be delayed in getting those 8 million+ men and all those armaments into play effectively.

I think I can safely say this is not the game most of us expected to see between Pelton and Michael.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 74
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/19/2012 5:21:49 PM   
Pelton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-E-LDc384

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 75
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/19/2012 6:51:16 PM   
juret

summer 42 will be fun to watch in this one

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 76
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/19/2012 7:44:31 PM   
Pelton

Right now 60+ infantry divisions are at 98% toe or higher and only 6 units are below 70 morale with 58 at 75+ morale. 180,000 arm and 150K men in the bank.

I have only 3 mech/panzer units below 85 morale and 2 are brigades.

All tank divisions are at 80% toe. I am leaving there until new toys arrive. Mech units are all maxed out other then 3 at the front near Minsk.

I have had refit OFF for 4 turns to the units over the blizzard line. So by summer I expect all units at 100% with men/equipment in the bank.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 10/19/2012 7:46:10 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 77
RE: Pelton vs MT - 10/21/2012 10:12:50 PM   
Pelton

Turn 27 OOB at almost 3.5 million.

Germany has run out of

I don't see a hooker smiley's guys.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 10/21/2012 10:13:29 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 78
June 42 4.5 million OOB for GHC - 10/23/2012 11:10:59 AM   
Pelton

Turn 31

Just a quick up date on what GHC looks like at this point mid way through Blizzard.

Currently GHC has 225,000 arm Pts
and 200,000 men in manpower pools.

OOB is at 3,450,000

GHC will be getting 30 fresh infantry divisions between now and mid-June and 3 panzer divisions plus a bunch of regiments.

This totals about 550,000 men (low side), plus normal replasements of about 15,000 per turn(I am figuring on low side) 15,000 x 23 turns before summer = 350,000.

GHC should have at a min of 4.4 million men under arms come summer offensive, probably closer to 4.6.

The most important thing to factor into this is morale. Inf/panzer/mech units morale will be higher then in 1941, only 1 panzer division is under 85 morale.

Key objectives for 1942:

1.Keep farming morale as long as possible.
2.Keep OOB as far above 4 million as possible.
3.Keep pushing and pocketing units for as long as possible.
4.Get a min of 60 divisions into static mode as quickly as possible saving 10k replasements per turn.
5.Convert over to defensive when I want to and not be forsed to.

I am doing a what if for germans that was a historical plan submitted to OKH, but was not used.

Like I said I have tested this out with a friend. I have a good idea of the what "ifs" as things unfold during 42 summer/fall and 42/43 winter.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Pelton -- 10/23/2012 11:43:07 AM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 79
RE: June 42 4.5 million OOB for GHC - 10/23/2012 2:59:19 PM   
Balou

quote:

Like I said I have tested this out with a friend.

Curious to know how many and what sort of sov troops you were facing in summer of 42.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 80
RE: June 42 4.5 million OOB for GHC - 10/23/2012 4:32:33 PM   
janh

I can't help but I think your tank strength is really low given you've been resting and refitting them for weeks now back at home. Can you show the pools? Is it the usual lack of light tanks that create this shortage?

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 81
RE: June 42 4.5 million OOB for GHC - 10/23/2012 8:31:11 PM   
Pelton

Remember its only January not June.

2350 is really high for me, most games by mid January I am down to 1000 and down to between 2.8 and 3 million men. I alrdy have allot more of both then normal for this time of yr and the numbers would be going down for the next 7 weeks.

Pelton

< Message edited by Pelton -- 10/23/2012 8:32:55 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 82
RE: June 42 4.5 million OOB for GHC - 10/24/2012 8:45:56 AM   
janh

How long have they been idle so far? I was under the impression that you'd pulled them offline by end of November, when you stopped the offensive.

When you use them offensively up right until blizzard hits, I fully understand. 1000 sounds more typical, though if my memory doesn't fail, thus far my games had more like 1500 or even near 2000 left just before blizzard. If I use them until March as well, that can drop quickly. Most times I have issues with the light tanks, though, and am doing ok with PzIII and PzIV. I wish it were possible to reassign light tank slots to medium for some Panzer divs, that would help a lot.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 83
RE: June 42 4.5 million OOB for GHC - 10/24/2012 1:38:26 PM   
Klydon

The problem you would run into with reassignment of light tank slots is you don't have near enough PzIII and PzIV tanks to fill them. Even if you do it for just some panzer divisions, it would vastly reduce the number of effective panzer divisions.

If it is any consolation, the Russians have the same issues with their slots and a lot of light tanks are in use during this time period as well. As time goes along, the TOE changes and the amount of light tanks drops while the amount of medium tanks (T34) go up.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 84
RE: June 42 4.5 million OOB for GHC - 11/9/2012 2:22:59 PM   
Pelton

Turn 36

Manpower Pts over run during 1942 = 80
Russian Units Destroyed after November 1st 1941
Corp:
Divisions:
Brigades:
SU:
AP total:
Russian losses this turn: ,000 Total dead: 2,225,000
Russian OOB: 7,830 ,000
A net gain of: ,000
Russian units currently in a pocket: 5
GHC losses this turn: ,000 Total dead: 806,000
GHC OOB: 3,563,000
GHC net OOB change: ,000
GHC ARM Pool: 311,000
GHC Manpower Pool: 224,000

As planned on the next to last turn of Blizzard all units move forward. All units are at close to 100% TOE, art units are at 90% TOE. Panzers East ! Any loses will be quickie replaced by manpower pool then some. I expect SHC OOB to drop or be static until mud then drop over the coming turns because of distance from railheads and a lack of trucks until at some point in summer. So I will work on small pockets and just in general keep pushing as long as possible.

Attachment (1)

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 85
RE: June 42 4.5 million OOB for GHC - 11/12/2012 1:19:19 PM   
Pelton

Turn 37

Manpower Pts over run during 1942 = 113
Corp:
Divisions: 2
Brigades:
SU:
AP total: 20
Russian losses this turn: 17 ,000 Total dead: 2,242,000
Russian OOB: 7,874,000
A net gain of: 42,00
Russian units currently in a pocket: 2
GHC losses this turn: 21,000 Total dead: 827,000
GHC OOB: 3,563,000
GHC net OOB change: 0,000
GHC ARM Pool: 330,000
GHC Manpower Pool: 243,000

Not much to report.

I have started changing out leaders to change over to reserve mode.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 86
RE: June 42 4.5 million OOB for GHC - 11/12/2012 1:38:48 PM   
Pelton

Turn 41 VP-168

Manpower Pts over run during 1942 = 130
Corp:
Divisions: 8
Brigades: 5
SU:
AP total: 105
Russian losses this turn: 116,000 Total dead: 2,528,000
Russian OOB: 7,844,000
A net gain of: 28,000
Russian units currently in a pocket: 3
GHC losses this turn: 53,000 Total dead: 1,032,000
GHC OOB: 3,626,000
GHC net OOB change: ,000
GHC ARM Pool: 279,000
GHC Manpower Pool: 162,000

Last snow turn before 5 mud turns and things are basicly going as expected.

I have all my leaders changed out from OKH to Corp level for reserve mode defences. I just have to reorganize armys into 2 large Corp of 4 and 5 infantry divisions and 1 panzer corp of 4 divisions.

I will not do that until I change over to the defensive. SHC CV is good, but not as high as Kamils or others have been in past games at this point. With all the lack of fighting SHC only has 3 to 4 hundred thousand more men then many of my past 42 games.

We shall see how this all plays out over the next 150 turns. Waiting on about 15 more fresh divisions to arrive at the front.

I have also put about 30 divisions into static mode and pulled as many units off line to lower attrition as much as possible during mud season.

With all the reoragnization I still have 383 AP saved up.

So far so good.

Seeing I am basicly done with leadership moves I will start using any AP over 450 to start building 45 and 44 fort belt lines. I am not sure how the summer will turn out so there is no pt and starting work on 43 summer lines at this point.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 11/12/2012 1:41:28 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 87
Spring 42 - 11/23/2012 4:19:50 PM   
Pelton

Turn—36—-GHC-OOB: 3,563,000—-GHC net OOB change: ,000
Turn—40—-GHC-OOB: 3,626,000—-GHC net OOB change: +63,000
Turn—53—-GHC-OOB: 3,840,000—-GHC net OOB change: +226,000

225,000 armament points and 50,000 men in pools.

I will start updating every 5th turn.

Basicly looking to min loses and keep OOB static or growing over time.

3200 tanks and another 200 in the pool. Most units are near max toe or +90%. I started disbanding unneeded units so I can build forts with extra manpower and armament pts.
So building a few hundred forts will not have any effect on front line units.

I should have the needed 60 divisions in static mode by July 1 to save about 15,000 men per turn. I will hold 400 to 450 AP so if units need to be released I can release all 60 on the same turn.

The only attacks will be to hold a line or push back to a river line so more units can be in static mode.

I have reserve mode completely set-up from OKH down to army make-up/Corp commanders and still have 400 AP saved.

A 3 deep fort belt from Riga to marsh is almost done. The marsh to Chigirin is behind major river. South of there most is behind minor rivers.

Basicly all set other then a few hexes we will fight over during the summer months.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 88
RE: Spring 42 - 11/23/2012 7:57:24 PM   
STEF78

quote:

I should have the needed 60 divisions in static mode by July 1 to save about 15,000 men per turn.

I haven't seen in the manual that units in Static mode do suffer less attrition. How will you save 15 000 men per week?

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 89
RE: Spring 42 - 11/24/2012 2:33:43 AM   
Walloc

9.5.2. Front Line Attrition
Units that begin their turn adjacent to enemy units during their logistics phase will suffer additional attrition losses representing low intensity combat, with approximately one-half to one percent of ground elements in a unit being destroyed (one-half of the manpower is killed and the other half is disabled). Combat attrition losses are dependent on unit morale, the number of ground elements of a certain type in a unit, and the experience level of each type of ground element. The higher unit morale and ground element experience level, the fewer combat attrition
losses. This attrition is in addition to the additional fatigue effects from being adjacent to enemy units (9.4.1).

v1.04.10 - April 18, 2011
Increased front line attrition, but reduced the proportion of these attrition loss that is KIA to 30% (was 50%). The net impact should be similar KIA but an increased amount of manpower disabled due to front line attrition.

v1.05.28 - September 29, 2011
Reduced front line attrition by 30-50%. In addition, Static units will now only suffer half of the normal front line attrition.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pelton vs MT Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI