Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Screenshots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Screenshots Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Screenshots - 10/26/2012 5:04:02 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Canton Island:

Canton Island is still contested. I will eventually land an additional infantry regiment with more offensive firepower to finally take the base. Tabiteuea will become the primary base in the area and provide logistical support for the others.

I think the Ellice Islands will become important for keeping an eye on Fiji and provide an anchorage for raiding SCTF's.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 10/26/2012 4:41:58 PM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 241
RE: Screenshots - 10/26/2012 5:04:46 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Luzon:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 242
RE: Screenshots - 10/26/2012 7:44:57 AM   
obvert

Thanks for the screenshots Joseph!

The area around Sian looks to be breaking down. Still, if he decides to stay and trio to hold it could be a slog. He doesn't like to fight under constant air pressure at low levels of supply though, and in my game often moved back without being defeated, including at Sian. I'm interested to see how this plays out for you.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 243
RE: Screenshots - 10/26/2012 9:08:43 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

He doesn't like to fight under constant air pressure at low levels of supply though, and in my game often moved back without being defeated, including at Sian. I'm interested to see how this plays out for you.

Hi Erik,

Sorry the maps aren't up to my usual standards, but I devoted time tonight to a massive reorganization in my other PBEM. I'm having to look at ways of staving off auto-victory in that one. VP's are 29714 to 10455 in Japan's favour and the date is 3 October 42.

Anyway, back to this game. I agree, if I move against Sian, Jocke will simply withdraw anyway. I figure I might as well try and flank Sian and apply pressure to prevent the Chinese buying time to consolidate a defence in the mountains. Lanchow is the prize and the key to starving Chinese industry of fuel in my opinion, not Sian. Sian is a deathrap to the Chinese, but there's no need for me to waste time trying to take it now.

I'll explain more later, but around Changsha I think I have a real chance to catch Jocke offguard and maul a number of his forces in detail. Once the railway is clear from Tsiaotso to Wuchang, I'm going to redeploy a number of units and try to make a big push to threaten Changsha.

I'm sticking to my strategy of destroying Chinese squads in poor defensive terrain prior to gaining territory. I don't want to simply push the Chinese back relatively unscathed. I want them rendered combat ineffective before they can form a solid MLR. I don't want to destroy units until much later when the lack of supply is the real killer, that's the time to have the Chinese respawn.

I've been re-reading jrcar's AAR and something there struck a cord with me. I don't want to take territory for the sake of having it. I want to focus on finding where the enemy is and destroy them. I believe Jocke is employing a semi "Sir Robin" so rather than try and guess what might hurt him, I'm going to find where he is and go after him. I'm going to be a lot more flexible in terms of where my forces go after I've established my initial perimeter. If Jocke focuses on an area too soon, that's where I'll show up.

I'm starting to see WitPAE PBEM more in terms of Poker now than ever before. Play your opponent.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 10/26/2012 9:15:17 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 244
RE: Screenshots - 10/26/2012 9:56:51 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Ok, previous screenshot posts have been edited with comments to describe what is going on and my intentions in each theatre. I hope this clears things up for everyone.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 245
Strategic Musings - 10/29/2012 6:42:37 AM   
SqzMyLemon

We've reached Feb. 9th, unfortunately I was busy this weekend and didn't get turns out to Jocke quickly.

I thought I'd go over the planned agenda for the rest of February.

Singapore has been cleared of mines and transport shippping is deploying to prepare for operations against Sumatra in earnest. However, I may divert 2-3 divisions to Luzon instead of trying to get onto Java right away. Why? Recon of Bataan, Clark Field and Manilla show that Manilla is the primary defensive position Jocke has chosen. I've noticed Jocke moving units out of Bataan to Clark Field and Manila. My thinking is take three divisions from Malaya and reinforce Luzon for immediate operations against Clark Field. The 48th Division is already on Luzon so I'd have four divisions.

Once Clark Field falls, I can then take Bataan and clear the sea route to Manila. I can then bottle up the defenders of Manila and use air and naval froces to reduce Manila. When Bataan falls, I can quickly re-deploy three divisions for operations against Java with Palembang hopefully dealt with by then.

If I choose to divert troops to Luzon, that will still leave me with four divisions to deal with Palembang. I need time to build up airbases anyway in order to overwhelm the Allied airforce on Java and defend against the possibility of Allied CV's operating in the theatre. I think both operations are doable and could be wrapped up quickly.

KB and Mini-KB will meet up at Truk and then the Wake Island invasion force sails. When Wake falls, KB may be used to raid the LOC to the West Coast again, or raid in SoPac while operations in Java are ongoing.

I'm not concerned with the invasion bonus and getting to Australia fully prepped. I like to land at secondary objectives anyway and then begin to prep for major targets to reduce the SigInt the Allies get.

I think I'm adjusting my rather optimistic plans at start. With Scenario 2, I believe I'd have the troops to move on multiple theatres at once. I just don't have the troops available yet for full scale operations against Australia, there are too many loose ends I need to clear up first. Luzon will be a bear to take if I don't root the Allies out from Bataan and Clark Field prior to moving on Manila.

Palembang must be dealt with before I move on Java, otherwise I stretch my available fuel to the breaking point. I'll need to fully commit large numbers of aircraft to subdue Java and I don't have the bases yet to provide cover for my landings, especially if Allied CV's are available. I'll need to hit Java with everything I've got to compensate for no Japanese CV support.

KB is needed to curb the aggressive forward movement of troops Jocke has been sending to the Pacific and provide a buffer for me to reinforce and build up my positions in SoPac without threat of Allied interdiction. When Palembang and Java are dealt with, the Combined Fleet and Imperial Army can mass for operations against Australia if I stick to the original plan of invading Perth and then striking Northeast Australia. A lot depends on what enemy naval assets I can flush out and destory over the next two months. It is going to take an invasion of Australia or Fiji to do so in my opinion.

Off to bed to mull things over. Lots to do in the meantime, but I know that as it stands right now, there's no way I can move on Australia or India until I get the Palembang fuel/oil and get the DEI and Philippines into mop up stage so I can bring everything to bear on further advances to overwhelm the daily improving defences of the enemy.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 246
Recent Developments - 10/29/2012 4:33:40 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I will post another screenshot of Southern China tonight to show what is happening.

Recon has now picked up five enemy units in the hex S.W. of Wuchang opposed by two Japanese Mixed Ind. Inf. Bde.'s. This is an increase of three enemy units. I'm not sure what Jocke is attempting to do here, but it opens up the possibility of cutting these enemy units off with an offensive mounted from Wuchang. I've already mentioned that the Chinese are committed here in bite sized portions and if I can shift enough troops I should be able to rough up a fair number of enemy LCU's and threaten Changsha.

I've got the ten unit enemy force near Nanchang bottled up and after I close a few hex sides I can shift the majority of troops to drive on Pingsiang and leave a token holding force to prevent the enemy from moving west. Speaking of Pingsiang, again the Chinese have many units deployed here in small groups. A quick advance by armour heavily supported by air could hold enough of these troops in place long enough for a few divisions to arrive and lay a beating on the Chinese.

China is going well. The Chinese are helping by remaining forward with large numbers of troops. I've stated a few times that the first priority is to render as many Chinese units combat ineffective prior to advancing on major bases. So far so good. It's going to be a tougher slog in the mountains around Lanchow, but I thnk that will be offset by the large number of casualties I continue to inflict.

On another note, China is short of air support units and I haven't brought all of my bomber strength to bear yet. I know Jocke hates China and the ability of Japan to bomb essentially at will, but he hasn't seen anything yet. Once I get some airbases expanded and can concentrate my bombers, the Chinese are going to get hammered.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 247
Ignore post 246 - 10/30/2012 5:39:14 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I'm sticking to the original plan.

I move against Palembang in strength to insure the base falls quickly. I believe it's going to be a tough fight to dig them out and with a stacking limit of 40k I will require a strong reserve to replace spent divisions. I then move against Batavia on Java.

Japanese forces will paradrop on Denpasar when the 2nd Raiding Rgt. arrives at Makassar. I'll then conduct amphibious landings on the eastern half of Java with a number of infantry regiments.

A Japanese submarine finally found and sank an Allied transport five hexes directly west of Perth. I will be redirecting a number of submarines to begin patrolling around major Australian ports. To this end, KB will not be used to raid into SoPac, but will begin patrols off the Australian coast once Wake Island is secured.

I almost let myself lose focus and direct my attention away from Australia. I was guilty of indecision last game, I will not tolerate repeating that behaviour this time around. I planned on Australia from the start and will stick to it.

First, I need Palembang and Batavia. I will begin formulating detailed plans for Australia over the next few weeks.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 10/30/2012 10:00:56 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 248
A quick note. - 11/2/2012 5:42:22 PM   
SqzMyLemon

The pace of the game right now is really slow. I just received a turn from Jocke, the first one since Monday. First off, I'm not worried about the pace of the game. I knew going in it was a secondary game for both of us and there might be a slow turnaround, but it does affect the AAR in a negative way. There just isn't much going on regularly that contributes anything meaningful to the AAR. I'll be concentrating on some other activities rather than updating the AAR on a daily basis.

The priority will be to get turns finished quickly so they are available to Jocke, so that if he has the time the turn is available for him to work on. I also don't want to dedicate a lot of my spare time going into great detail on other aspects of the game like production and R&D for example while the pace of the game is so slow.

Winter has arrived here and it's model time. I'll post on the AAR periodically when events in the game merit an update, but when I do I will focus on major operations and the planning for them, rather than daily events. Sorry for the need to do this, but the game just doesn't warrant much effort in an AAR at the moment. I hope this changes over the coming months as Jocke settles into his new routine and maybe gets more time.

Thanks for still following along. I'll do my best to provide interesting and comprehensive updates in the near future.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 249
RE: A quick note. - 11/2/2012 5:48:09 PM   
obvert

I'll do my best to frustrate him so that he decides he should spend more time doing some turns for you!

We're all still here. But it's more fun if we can scheme against him together. Surprised it's that slow for you. I'll tell him to throw you a bone more often.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 250
RE: A quick note. - 11/2/2012 5:52:03 PM   
Encircled

Speaking as someone who has a five and a three year old, its very hard sometimes to devote the time to anything other than family and (sigh!)work.

Two games at once is going to be really hard

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 251
7-12 February 42. - 11/5/2012 10:23:20 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Not much happening.

China:

I'm moving on Yenan. Three tank regiments are engaging a larger enemy force to the southwest of Yenan. A deliberate attack of 1:7 odds destroyed and disabled a number of enemy squads for no loss. Follow up infantry units are still 92-138 miles away so the armour is on it's own. Japanese bombers are concentrating on this enemy force in support of the armour.

Recon of Kunming is indicating an unknown Indian unit present. This leads me to believe Jocke may be attempting to hold open a land route to Burma, or at least prevent me from seizing the bases from Paoshan to Kunming.

Borneo:

Balikpapan fell easily to river assault by two infantry regiments. The fuel and oil facilities suffered minor damage.

Sumatra:

I am trying to decide on whether to launch an amphibious assault directly against Palembang or waste weeks going the Oosthaven route. There are ten Allied units at Palembang.

CentPac:

The Wake Island invasion force is loading at Truk and will sail on the 13th supported by KB.

Australia:

Broome and Derby are in Japanese hands. CL Boise and friends bombarded Broome on the 12th causing little damage.

Thoughts:

Focus shifts to Sumatra and Java now. I will not raid SoPac with KB, but rather focus on supporting operations against Java and Western Australia. It's time to start the initial stages of shutting down Perth as a port of call for reinforcing Australia.

In China, I'm in the process of trying to completely surround ten enemy LCU's around Nanchang. I'm about to move forward and invest Changsha, hopefully creating a small encirclement of a number of enemy units in the process.

A note on R&D. I've had numerous small factories not repairing and decided to bump a number of them up to 30. These factories are now starting to repair on a regular basis. George, Frank, Karyu, Shinden, Tojo and Tony models in particular.

ASW remains pathetic. Allied submarines sail into ports and shallow water hexes at will with little threat of DC attack. Deep water remains a haven for enemy submarines due to the ineffective Type 95 DC.

Due to a recent setback the gloves are coming off in the air war. The focus shifts to overwhelming enemy air units wherever encountered.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 252
13-15 February 42. - 11/12/2012 10:01:07 PM   
SqzMyLemon

The wheels have come off. I'm really struggling since Singapore fell. The ground forces have recovered disablements and are ready to move, but I'm frozen in place trying to figure out my next move.

Palembang shows 10 enemy LCU's. I'm bombing the base to prevent further fort construction, but I put the forts at level 4 minimum by this time. I can't decide on whether to launch a direct amphibious assault against Palembang and risk the CD guns, or land on Java and deal with Batavia first.

Borneo:

Balikpapan is clear of mines and the port is open for business. The facilities are fully repaired and shipping is arriving to refuel. The combat LCU's will be re-deployed for operations against Java. Seizing Balikpapan intact completely takes the strain off supplying naval forces with fuel from Japan.

Burma:

Japanese forces advance on Lashio which the Allies appear to be in the process of abandoning.

China:

I'm concentrating on capturing Yenan to secure a supply line for flanking Sian and marching on Lanchow. The Chinese are withdrawing in good order and there's no impetus on me to move quickly against Sian, which is now defended by a considerable number of enemy units. However, I am building up airbases at Kaifeng, Nanyang and Tsiaotso in preparation for the air campaign against Sian and area.

In the south, Jocke sensed trouble around Changsha and is currently withdrawing back into the base. I'm marching on Changsha from two directions, but the intention is to contest the base with a holding force rather than launch an assault. If I had been able to attack the smaller Chinese forces in detail prior to them withdrawing, I might have been able to take a crack at a weakened Changsha defence. I will bypass Changsha and attempt to move on Hengyang. I'm currently blocking the Kukong-Hengyang railway with a Ind. Mixed Inf. Bde., but it won't hold against troops attempting to withdraw from Kukong.

Changsha's airbase was bombed on the 15th, destroying a number of SB-III's and AVG aircraft on the ground. I want to establish complete air superiority in China now to begin the process of destroying Chinese supply instead of interdicting ground troops.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there is a force of 10 Chinese LCU's of roughly 80k around Nanchang that won't be escaping, barring bad luck in terms of movement timing, I'm in the process of sealing off every hexside and trapping this force.

Java:

Denpasar fell to airborne assault on the 15th. Air support and supplies will now be flown in. I may risk a number of small supply TF's covered by LRCAP from Makassar to build up supply quickly. I'm shifting strong surface forces to Makassar in preparation for invading Eastern Java.

My fear is the commitment of Allied CV's against invasion shipping and surface forces before I can establish air superiority over Java. There's been no sign of Allied surface forces near Java and I suspect they've been withdrawn to Australia, but I'm not going to risk getting caught unprepared. Jocke has a healthy respect for Betty's and Nell's, so I want to make him have to run a gauntlet of them should he decide to interdict my invasion TF's. All I need is a foothold capable of putting up LBA in decent numbers and Eastern Java will be isolated from interference by Allied naval forces.

The Philippines:

Jocke has stripped Bataan and Clark Field of defences and concentrated on Manila. I'm looking at capturing both Bataan and Clark soon to apply pressure on Manila, but that will have to wait until Palembang is dealt with and I'm established on Java. I'm wishing I had the extra troops of Scenario 2 right now. However, I'm in the process of freeing up air units to secure air superiority over Luzon and start destroying supply in the meantime.

CentPac:

The Wake Island invasion force will most likely be spotted on the 16th. The invasion TF is supported by a strong surface TF and Mini-KB. KB is trailing by two days in order to be in position to react if Allied CV's or surface forces attempt to interdict. I'm willing to risk the light CV's if it draws out some Allied CV's. I've established a submarine screen and patrolling AMC to the east of Wake Island to give advance notice of an Allied move. The surface TF will bombard prior to the landings and KB will most likely launch air attacks against the base if the coast is clear. The 90th Inf. Rgt. and a Naval Guard unit are tasked with capturing Wake Island. Forts are probably high, but I'll rely on KB causing enough disruption to the defenders to ensure the base falls.

Thoughts:

I wasted too many PP's on things that are not a priority right now, changing leaders being one of them. I'm buying out every air and support unit I can. I'm also converting most single engine Sentai's to two engine bombers. Production is starting to build up a modest pool now allowing for conversion to better aircraft. It's going to take way too long to amass PP's to buy out substantial LCU's from China or Japan for immediate combat operations, so I'll focus on increasing the effectiveness of my air force instead.

I'll be receiving substantial ship reinforcements within two months, primarily the CV's Junyo and Hiyo along with a number of DD's. They will be a welcome addition to the Combined Fleet.

I continue to build up HI pools at 6k a day (total being 340k as of today), armaments and vehicle pools are increasing daily as well. Aircraft numbers are increasing, allowing both replenishment and upgrading. The air force will be in good shape to apply maximum pressure in numerous theatres by March.

Despite struggling, the next few weeks should see me back on track and moving forward. It will be imperative that I start sinking some Allied ships on a regular basis and upset the Allied buildup.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/12/2012 11:03:51 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 253
RE: Screenshots - 11/12/2012 11:54:27 PM   
jrcar

Good choice :)

Most ground is meerly used to kill the enemy, very little has intrinsic value... exceptions of course are resource areas (in particular fuel and oil)... even these though you will loose, so the aim is to delay the enemy as long as possible so you can utilise them before you loose them.

If you can destroy enough of the enemy force, and loose only a little of yours, then you make it much harder for them to do get at you...

Cheers

Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

He doesn't like to fight under constant air pressure at low levels of supply though, and in my game often moved back without being defeated, including at Sian. I'm interested to see how this plays out for you.

Hi Erik,

Sorry the maps aren't up to my usual standards, but I devoted time tonight to a massive reorganization in my other PBEM. I'm having to look at ways of staving off auto-victory in that one. VP's are 29714 to 10455 in Japan's favour and the date is 3 October 42.

Anyway, back to this game. I agree, if I move against Sian, Jocke will simply withdraw anyway. I figure I might as well try and flank Sian and apply pressure to prevent the Chinese buying time to consolidate a defence in the mountains. Lanchow is the prize and the key to starving Chinese industry of fuel in my opinion, not Sian. Sian is a deathrap to the Chinese, but there's no need for me to waste time trying to take it now.

I'll explain more later, but around Changsha I think I have a real chance to catch Jocke offguard and maul a number of his forces in detail. Once the railway is clear from Tsiaotso to Wuchang, I'm going to redeploy a number of units and try to make a big push to threaten Changsha.

I'm sticking to my strategy of destroying Chinese squads in poor defensive terrain prior to gaining territory. I don't want to simply push the Chinese back relatively unscathed. I want them rendered combat ineffective before they can form a solid MLR. I don't want to destroy units until much later when the lack of supply is the real killer, that's the time to have the Chinese respawn.

I've been re-reading jrcar's AAR and something there struck a cord with me. I don't want to take territory for the sake of having it. I want to focus on finding where the enemy is and destroy them. I believe Jocke is employing a semi "Sir Robin" so rather than try and guess what might hurt him, I'm going to find where he is and go after him. I'm going to be a lot more flexible in terms of where my forces go after I've established my initial perimeter. If Jocke focuses on an area too soon, that's where I'll show up.

I'm starting to see WitPAE PBEM more in terms of Poker now than ever before. Play your opponent.

quote:

AE BETA Breaker

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 254
RE: Screenshots - 11/13/2012 8:36:47 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Thanks jrcar. The question will be whether I can implement the strategy effectively.

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 255
Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/13/2012 8:44:01 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Does anyone know the effects of being overstacked?

Jocke has 78k Chinese in a forest hex with a stacking limit of 55k. I'm under the stacking limit. The enemy force should be unsupplied since there is no direct supply path open. If I attack, what are the effects on the Chinese force? Do they simply burn supply faster or is there a combat penalty associated with being overstacked, or both?

Thanks in advance.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 256
RE: Screenshots - 11/13/2012 8:50:48 AM   
jrcar

Yes putting theory into practice when the enemy has a vote is always intereting...

Cheers

Rob

quote:

Thanks jrcar. The question will be whether I can implement the strategy effectively.

AE BETA Breaker

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 257
Where next? - 11/13/2012 9:16:18 AM   
SqzMyLemon

I've decided.

I go all out for Java with six divisions. The capture of Balikpapan eases the fuel crunch until I can deal with Palembang. I need fuel and access to the IO if I'm going to move quickly against Australia. I'm massing almost 450 aircraft, including 250 fighters, for operations against Java. I will land against Eastern Java first to apply pressure on Soerabaja in an effort to draw forces away from Batavia. The main landings will follow at Kalidjati with the intention to drive inland and seal off Batavia from reinforcement before investing the base. Nothing new or original, but time is becoming an issue. Java must fall quickly.

The Wake Island invasion force is still undetected. As soon as Wake Island falls, I have a plan for KB. It might be time for a walkabout around the coast of Australia to try and catch Allied naval assets offguard. I've come up with a risky idea (to me at least) but it's time to throw Jocke some curveballs and maybe bag some serious Allied shipping. If not, I'm in position to support the Perth invasion with KB. If I'm going to attempt this, I have to begin preparations immediately in order to position my forces. Mum's the word right now, but I will definitely elaborate as things develop.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 258
RE: Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/13/2012 12:59:56 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Jocke has 78k Chinese in a forest hex with a stacking limit of 55k. I'm under the stacking limit. The enemy force should be unsupplied since there is no direct supply path open. If I attack, what are the effects on the Chinese force? Do they simply burn supply faster or is there a combat penalty associated with being overstacked, or both?

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that the stacking limit is total for both sides in a hex. So if 55K is limit, it is total for both. If he is over, then you are too and both of you are facing the penalties. Supply usage is the only penalty I know of.

If chinese forces are facing stacking penalty, I would just withdraw my forces and let his go to zero supply. At that point, with the severe combat penalty they face (25% of AV, something like that) you should be able to take that hex easily.

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 259
RE: Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/13/2012 2:46:33 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that the stacking limit is total for both sides in a hex. So if 55K is limit, it is total for both. If he is over, then you are too and both of you are facing the penalties. Supply usage is the only penalty I know of.

If chinese forces are facing stacking penalty, I would just withdraw my forces and let his go to zero supply. At that point, with the severe combat penalty they face (25% of AV, something like that) you should be able to take that hex easily.

Really? That doesn't make sense . The Chinese (or other forces) could sabotage anyone's supply just by intentional over-stacking in that case. I think it is for each side. I could be wrong, but wow, that would change everything from island landings to major land campaign strategy.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 260
RE: Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/13/2012 3:37:58 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

Thanks in advance.

No, it's a limit for each side. 100% certain. So in the example given Chinese forces get to stack up to 55k without penalty, and Japanese forces get to stack up to 55k without penalty.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 261
RE: Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/13/2012 4:23:12 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I'm pretty sure it's for each side as well. Whenever I've been overstacked the stacking limit and troop numbers have been red on the information screen. They are white in this case.

My main question though is about the effects, is it just increased supply usage or is there an associated combat penalty in addition to the normal penalty for being out of supply? I'm trying to gage how much strength to commit to keep this force bottled up. If I knew the Chinese would suffer more than just supply usage, which I believe there is none, I can use maybe 600-750 AV against the 1100 AV of the Chinese.

Thanks for the comments and I hope this helps others understand what is happening with stacking limits. I'd like to nail this down and plan accordingly for future operations.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 262
RE: Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/14/2012 1:17:10 AM   
PaxMondo

Helps me.  Never played with them, and as IJ in stock maps, you rarely are concerned with them. 

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 263
RE: Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/14/2012 5:08:39 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Going to take a break from the other threads for a bit and just concentrate on the AAR and following the AAR's that I enjoy reading, primarily those of obvert, fcharton, jrcar and Q-Ball vs. GreyJoy. The BS, drama and unstable personalities that are appearing more frequently in threads is starting to bug me and I find myself wanting to avoid reading any of it.

I think I've just reached my saturation point for inane, abusive and dick like behaviour. It's most likely just me, but then it's all about me...right?

Turns are still slow. But the game is progressing. I'll begin to post more on events in China and provide some screens explaining my upcoming operations against Java and Sumatra.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/14/2012 5:10:03 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 264
Almost forgot - 11/14/2012 5:22:48 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Erik and Francois,

I noticed you had mentioned some classical music you both enjoy listening to. I enjoy some classical, but frankly find it overwhelming trying to pick out CD's and such to listen to. Often I want to hear just the music, without the associated opera singing, but fail miserably. If you find the time and are inclined, I'd really appreciate some suggestions as to some pieces and composers you enjoy.

I'm going to start utilizing my local library in a big way to see what's available, but the selection is overwhelming. I'd like to find the good stuff right off the bat for a change.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 11/14/2012 5:28:00 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 265
RE: Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/14/2012 5:22:48 PM   
witpqs

The only direct penalty for exceeding stacking limits is supply. That was asked in some other threads and there was confirmation from the devs. But notice I said "direct". The supply penalty can have other effects, as you know. Combat modifiers, morale effects and recovery of morale, disruption recovery, enabling disabled squads/devices, anti-aircraft fire (more vulnerable to bombing without AA)...

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 266
RE: Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/14/2012 5:27:26 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

The only direct penalty for exceeding stacking limits is supply. That was asked in some other threads and there was confirmation from the devs. But notice I said "direct". The supply penalty can have other effects, as you know. Combat modifiers, morale effects and recovery of morale, disruption recovery, enabling disabled squads/devices, anti-aircraft fire (more vulnerable to bombing without AA)...

Thanks witpqs. That's what I was looking for, just confirmation that overstacking doesn't carrying any other direct penalty besides increased supply usage. I'll base my operations on this and make overstacked Chinese formations pay. We all know how supply is so crucial in China.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 267
RE: Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/14/2012 5:34:23 PM   
witpqs

One of the problems the Allied player faces with the Chinese - and it seems realistic to me - is that when a formation gets retreated that can cause over stacking. Say you have two prepared positions in a row. Troops take time to dig fortifications in non-base hexes, so you must get that second line in place early too.

Then, the first line (hex) gets retreated, the units falling back to the second hex. But the second hex is already well populated with troops ready for the defense. Now supply is getting burned like there is no tomorrow! That continues until the retreated units can be moved rearward, bringing the stacking level back down under limit.

Can happen anywhere, but a real pain in China because of the already very tight supply situation.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 268
RE: Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/14/2012 5:42:16 PM   
fcharton

Hi Joseph,

Killing two birds with one stone... While working on your Java turns, you might enjoy listening to Java Suite by Leopold Godowsky. Here are three excerpts. The first two are very influenced by balinese music (gamelan), maybe the most "classical" asian music. The last one is a more classical virtuoso piece, in the tradition of Liszt. All those pieces are obscenely difficult (the score is displayed in the first piece, if you can read music, you'll sure notice), which makes the seeming calm moves of Hamelin in the last piece all the more fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZGM_IY_Gug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oMPoZisSb8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbXialUks4Q

I am with you about the forum discussions. I believe this forum is a very nice change from most, but discussions on game mechanics, balance, and realism, have a tendency to go awry at times. The AARs are a world of their own, much more bloglike...

Francois

< Message edited by fcharton -- 11/14/2012 6:00:57 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 269
RE: Question regarding stacking limits. - 11/14/2012 10:35:13 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Life is good, two turns waiting for me at home.

Thanks for the Godowsky links Francois, I listened to the first one and enjoyed it. The others I'll play while working on the turn.

A brief update on what's in the works. I'm loading two armoured regiments at Singapore for use in Northern Sumatra. I'm also loading up a number of additional engineer units for Muntok and Toboali on Bangka. Both bases are now level two airfields, once Muntok reaches level four the air offensive against Batavia and area begins. I'm moving in supply and air support to sustain operations.

Transports are massing at Balikpapan and Makassar to load the initial invasion forces for Java. Strong surface forces are available to provide support for the amphibious TF's. Zero fighters are being re-deployed to provide LRCAP. I'm concerned about Allied CV's making an appearance. I figure I'll begin landing on Java within the week.

The plan is to establish a beachhead with a level 3-4 airbase near Soerabaja and draw enemy units away from Batavia if possible. In the meantime, the air campaign to shut down Batavia and establish air superiority over Java will begin from bases on Bangka.

Once air superiority over Batavia and area is achieved, the main invasion force of six divisions will land at Kalidjati and move inland to isolate Batavia. Secondary forces will capture Merak and Oosthaven. Once Batavia falls the bulk of the forces will redeploy against Palembang and secure the oil. Then preparations will begin for the invasion of Perth. I'm going to be off schedule, but I think it's safe to say that by April I'll be heavily engaged in Australia.

I'm hoping to provide a screenshot of the DEI later to show my preparations and forces involved.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Screenshots Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI