Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Shameless B-day plug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Shameless B-day plug Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Shameless B-day plug - 9/4/2012 6:21:50 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Happy birthday, junior!

If I'm a junior at 44, that must mean you're at least...

It's all relative! Thanks witpqs

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 91
RE: Shameless B-day plug - 9/4/2012 6:28:48 PM   
witpqs

52, you youngin'!

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 92
RE: Shameless B-day plug - 9/4/2012 7:13:26 PM   
moore4807

Sqz,
1) Happy birthday!
2) Your post about ARM not following designated infantry LCU - I was up this early AM and tried it out in China with a couple of rested units - "follow" seemed to work fine at first. However when I sent the units towards a battle the ARM got ahead of the INF units. Rough conclusion - when I changed the destination from a Base to a location, and reset the units to follow the INF unit, THEN the ARM unit didn't stay behind the INF unit, so I checked the manual and of course I can't find anything other than the travel speeds table and the small description of "follow" (pg 189 etc.) I don't have an answer but I see what you mean!
3) Since I'm reading both AAR's I wont comment on the game - but I am reading and appreciate your descriptive reasonings. Keep on Truckin!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 93
Brief Update - 9/4/2012 8:15:35 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Japanese forces established a foothold on Mindanao with the capture of Davao on the 25th. Troops have also landed at Zamboanga, the only supply producing base on Mindanao. The Allies had abandoned the base. The plan will be to pin Allied troops at Cagayan and then siege them into submission. Davao and Zamboanga were the primary objectives. With both bases secure, I'll rely on lack of supply to reduce the enemy over time.

Kendari and Tarakan invasion forces will begin landing in a few days. The threat of Allied CV's appearing in the DEI is a real threat now with KB off near Tahiti, so I will be trying to land quickly on Timor under cover of LBA.

Palembang is going to be problematic. How much force will I need to deal with 7 Allied units of unknown disposition? I have the 21st and 38th Divisions available. I'd prefer to capture Oosthaven and get a foothold on Java at Merak to close off the strait to Allied use prior to dealing with Palembang, however, I'm not sure how much additional strength would be required for these operations. LBA would be limited to Kuantan and Singkawang. Not sure this would allow me to get to Oosthaven unmolested. I may have to land on some additional bases to develop some airfields closer to Batavia first.

Baker Island invasion forces have left Tarawa and will be covered by a small SCTF of CL's and DD's. Canton Island will follow, but I'll be timing that invasion with the arrival of KB. Canton being mined already and the number of ASW TF's and PT's around the base indicate it's not undefended. I do not want an early Allied foothold on either base. KB will raid SoPac again when replenished. Baker and Canton Islands will provide the eyes of the fleet via floatplane search.

I'm gathering forces for Rabaul, Lae and PM. I'm late getting to New Guinea and the Solomons. As with Canton Island, operations here will be supported by KB.

I now begin my strategy of targeting China's production. Immediate objectives are Loyang and area to deny this supply to Chinese forces. I begin a push towards Sian. Yenan must be cleared to allow supply to flow forward and I want to force the enemy to fight in 2x terrain rather than 3x. Any bases that do not generate supply will be left alone for now, they draw it away from more vital areas, and supply generally doesn't flow to these bases anyway. I'll be looking to pound smaller concentrations of Chinese troops while avoiding any slugfests with larger formations. It's all about bleeding the Chinese forces, while not destroying them, to strain supply to the breaking point. Then I destroy them .

I've never faced Singapore after allowing every Allied unit to withdraw before. I'm guessing fort levels to be at 2-3 and holding because of my bombing attacks. I've just doubled the number of bombers conducting raids to cause more damage. I'm going to have five divisions available, with the 21st and 38th available in an emergency. I also have three divisions in the DEI, but one is needed for Rabaul and the Solomons. The other two are needed for Timor and Darwin.

The lack of extra troops provided in Scenario 1 will limit what I can do, but it's up to me to maximize the potential of what I do have. I've been overcommitting forces early, but that's my way to get divisions together quickly. Now I can use economy of force to take smaller bases while I recon primary targets to determine what I'll need and where to move quickly. I want to be established and moving through Java by the end of January at the latest.

A note on PP's. I've stopped spending for China specifically. I am now buying out air support units, engineers, base forces and 2nd Air Division formations for future offensives. I will use my air power to make up for the lack of troops and unlike my other game, it will be concentrated to achieve overwhelming force against whatever Allied forces are committed to contest my advances. I didn't attrition Allied air power last time, this time I will.

The more I look, India is a no go for me. Too many positives for the Allies if I strike there. If it was Scenario 2 though...

The next two months must be decisive for me, move quickly and destroy everything in my path while accomplishing my initial objectives. The sooner I can mount operations against Australia and SoPac the better.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 9/4/2012 8:19:30 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 94
RE: Brief Update - 9/4/2012 8:53:18 PM   
obvert

Happy Birthday Joseph!

I've been away so I'll need a few days to catch up on things here.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 95
RE: Brief Update - 9/4/2012 10:02:48 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Happy Birthday Joseph!

Hi Erik,

Thanks! Where did you just return from?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 96
RE: Shameless B-day plug - 9/4/2012 10:06:44 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: moore4807

3) Since I'm reading both AAR's I wont comment on the game - but I am reading and appreciate your descriptive reasonings. Keep on Truckin!

Thanks for still following along and getting something out of it. Interesting test with the follow command. I plan on trying a few different things, but not against enemy held hexes anymore. I can't risk having the armour continue to arrive first.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 97
RE: Shameless B-day plug - 9/4/2012 11:18:51 PM   
fcharton

Happy birthday, lemon-san, many happy returns, and successful sweeps, and deadly DA.

François

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 98
RE: Shameless B-day plug - 9/5/2012 4:03:18 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcharton

Happy birthday, lemon-san, many happy returns, and successful sweeps, and deadly DA.

François

+1

Banzai Joseph!

Pax

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 99
Quick Dec. 26th update - 9/5/2012 4:19:31 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Thanks Gentlemen, a quiet Birthday of dinner with my Mother and grocery shopping . Although there were surprises awaiting me at home including the arrival of a package of model supplies and detail sets I'd ordered some time ago, and the latest issue of a model magazine!

Pumped about tonight though. Are you ready for some football? Ok, but what's happening in the game you ask?

Jocke's sneaky I think. I ran across some high value shipping last turn preparing to make a dash for safety from the Philippines. Ships sunk include xAP President Madison and AS Holland. Not a bad idea to sit back, wait for the majority of my shipping to be occupied elsewhere then try and slip through.

Zamboanga fell easily, so that source of supply for Allied troops is gone. I think I will make quick work of Cebu as I believe that also generates supply. I don't want any submarines transporting supply to Luzon or Mindanao. I whacked Cagayan pretty hard with a BB bombardment on the 25th. I really like bombardments now and they are a big part of my tactics. Sustained bombardments can really do a number on defending troops, as I learned in my other game. BB's are more than just bomb magnets and sources of FLAK now in my opinion, they are the hammer to tip the scales in favour of my ground forces when assaulting coastal bases.

Air recon of the Celebes indicates little opposition awaits me. Allied air is minimal, with 12 bombers showing up at Kendari. LRCAP from Manado and Ternate should be enough to protect my amphibious TF's from air attack. I've moved large numbers of surface ships to Ternate, they will protect the invasion fleets from naval interdiction short of Allied CV's appearing.

It's time to make a mad dash for bases as quickly as I can north of Australia. I haven't reconned Timor yet, but bases appear to be lightly defended, if at all, in the area. It appears Java is where the Allies will make their stand, much like my last game.

KB is sailing for Canton Island and was undetected last turn. I will stay 16 hexes away from Christmas Island and will arrive at Canton Island in about three days. I think KB will arrive well prior to my invasion TF which is bad, because I don't want her sitting around drawing submarine attention. The Baker Island invasion TF is still loading. Canton's is still a week away. It's a shorter sail to Canton Island from Tahiti then I thought. KB's fuel is fine and I still have 15k in the replenishment TF. I could snoop around the LOC between Hawaii and SoPac for a few days if needed.

Tabiteuea Island takes on new importance to me. Stacking limits in the Marshall's are extremely small. Tabiteuea Island allows 30k worth of troops. It will become my major base in the Gilbert Islands. I will take it in a matter of days and start building it up.

I've begun a major shifting of naval assets. I'm loaded in Malaya and the Celebes, but lacking assets in the Central Pacific and the Kuriles. I think I still need a large presence for Sumatra and Java, but can reduce the numbers in the Celebes. I figure 2 BB's, 4 CA's, 4 CL's and 16 DD's should be plenty for operations against New Guinea, the Solomons and Canton Island. These numbers don't include KB either. The problem is troops, that is what is slowing me down at the moment. I'll have everything sorted out and moving in a day or two.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 100
Quick note on the economy - 9/5/2012 9:56:05 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Last game, my inexperience with running Japan's production resulted in many early mistakes that cost excess HI and supply, limiting my pool growth and I didn't reach 1,000,000 HI until March 1943. I'm expanding vehicle, naval shipyard and aircraft production, much like I did last game, but I'm already banking in excess of 5k HI daily. Much better. That is the goal for all of 1942, 5k daily, which will give me a pool of around 1,800,000 by 1943.

I'm expanding HI in Manchuria and China exclusively at the moment. I will capture Sian and Lanchow to suppliment the increased fuel demand. No fuel will be exported from the continent until a direct land route from Singapore to Fusan is created. I'm still not convinced the fuel flows well overland, but others say it can be done. Hopefully, this time I get the fuel/oil flowing.

I over expanded Kate and Val production last game, this time they are each being limited to 25/month. I've already got 50+ of both in the pools. This will drop as units expand and upgrade, but I'm confident production will keep up with requirements. I am investing to accelerate the Judy a few months early, it could prove decisive if available for the Allied push I'm anticipating.

I haven't decided on going with just the Helen or Sally yet, but I'm leaning towards having both. Right now, I'm ramping up Ha-34 Engine production for both the Helen and Tojo, while the Sally requires the Ha-32, as does the Betty. I don't get the Helen for four months, so the Sally has to carry me through the crucial first months in the numbers I need to be effective. Decisions!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 101
RE: Quick note on the economy - 9/6/2012 2:17:34 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

... a direct land route from Singapore to Fusan is created. I'm still not convinced the fuel flows well overland, but others say it can be done. Hopefully, this time I get the fuel/oil flowing.

HAve you started to pull resources from Fusan? What is your daily rate? With your convoys originating in Fusan, you should already have some fuel pooling there in response to their re-fueling needs.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 9/6/2012 2:19:56 AM >

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 102
RE: Quick note on the economy - 9/6/2012 4:11:56 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Have you started to pull resources from Fusan? What is your daily rate? With your convoys originating in Fusan, you should already have some fuel pooling there in response to their re-fueling needs.

Hi Pax,

I've already got ten Aden class transports pulling resources from Fusan and most of the small YO Class tankers (500 capacity) drawing fuel. Fuel stocks at Fusan are currently 8k. I'll monitor the draw as the game progresses and keep adding ships if necessary. I'm not concerned about drawing much fuel out at this stage, because I want it available to drive the HI expansions I'm doing, but I do remember you saying the sooner you start drawing from Fusan the better. I definitely am exporting the maximum amount of resources possible. I'll see what happens over the next few months and try to get the land route opened up quickly to start things flowing in larger quantity.

Do you think it's feasible to go with both the Helen and Sally, or would you switch all to Helen? My concern is having to ramp up Ha-34 production to provide engines for both bombers and fighters now that the Tojo requires this powerplant. I'd need to produce a minimum of 400 engines monthly and that might not even produce an engine stockpile. Keeping the Sally in production could reduce the strain and I wouldn't need to convert any existing factories.

What's your take?

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 9/6/2012 4:14:32 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 103
RE: Quick note on the economy - 9/6/2012 5:02:02 PM   
obvert

I've kept the Sally in production through the time when the Helen IIa comes on line. Then it slows down or stops. By then you should have your engines figured out and less strain on supply to add more engines if needed.

I would get something faster loading than Adens at Fusan. Two TFs of about 10 AKL will do it. They will load in a day, and then they'll unload in a day, so they just flip back and forth in a nice symmetry. I actually have 4 TFs doing this at Fusan.

In my Torsten game I had Fusan at level 8 port in February, which also helped. That is the staging base for anything coming out of the area, so all of those construction units that are cheap get sent there day 1 and build while they wait to be bought and shipped out.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 104
RE: Brief Update - 9/6/2012 5:03:35 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

Happy Birthday Joseph!

Hi Erik,

Thanks! Where did you just return from?

Neew York City. An old friend getting married. I had to do the toast and speak in the actual ceremony a well. Nerve-wracking but fun, and it all went well. Now shattered and back home trying to catch up n everything.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 105
RE: Quick note on the economy - 9/6/2012 5:56:44 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

I've kept the Sally in production through the time when the Helen IIa comes on line. Then it slows down or stops. By then you should have your engines figured out and less strain on supply to add more engines if needed.

I would get something faster loading than Adens at Fusan. Two TFs of about 10 AKL will do it. They will load in a day, and then they'll unload in a day, so they just flip back and forth in a nice symmetry. I actually have 4 TFs doing this at Fusan.

In my Torsten game I had Fusan at level 8 port in February, which also helped. That is the staging base for anything coming out of the area, so all of those construction units that are cheap get sent there day 1 and build while they wait to be bought and shipped out.

I'm in the process of expanding Fusan by the same method. I have all my smaller xAKL's doing the Hakodate route, but usually shift over to Fusan once I've got things humming. I have so many Aden's sitting doing nothing at the moment, but I'm using some on these on smaller runs until my long distance routes are established. All my PB conversions are now complete so I finally have adequate escorts.

I'll most likely concentrate on the Helen, at least it's armoured. I see a lot of Ha-34 production in my future. I plan on using a lot of bombers now that I can concentrate larger numbers. Especially, if I find myself heavily engaged in Australia.

I'm going to switch over to fast transport invasions for the Banda Sea area as you did. Jocke's pulled right back, so I should be able to get footholds easily and reinforce at will once LBA is established. You must have spanked him with your Betty's/Nell's, he seems to have a healthy respect for them and keeps well out of range.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 106
RE: Quick note on the economy - 9/6/2012 8:38:20 PM   
obvert

He's probably also thinking about the G3M3 that are traveling 21 hexes to attack in the South Pacific. He doesn't like those.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 107
What's happening this turn... - 9/6/2012 9:27:00 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I just received the next turn for Dec. 27th, so I've had some further time to think on immediate objectives.

The first Japanese troops have reached Moulmein, but I won't have the strength to assault until more combat formations arrive. I am starting the battle for air supremacy in Burma today with sweeps of Rangoon. I've temporarily stripped Borneo and Malaya of Zero's for a decisive first strike. It took awhile to gather enough supply at the forward airbases to sustain flight operations.

70 Zero's and two Chutai's of Oscar's are ordered to sweep. I'm hoping the Zero's sweep first, otherwise it could get ugly for the JAAF. Allied fighter strength at Rangoon appears to be around 65-75 fighters, I'm guessing mostly AVG.

The Kendari invasion fleet sets sail from Ternate covered by LRCAP from Manado. The 16th Division will be responsible for the capture of the Celebes. The 56th Division will take Timor. The 2nd Division currently on Mindanao will re-deploy to Rabaul and the Solomons. I'm going to use the 21st and 38th Divisions at Singapore, which will give me seven to take the base quickly. I don't want to mess around at Singapore.

The Baker Island invasion TF should be loaded and on its way today. I'm using the original Wake Invasion forces for Canton Island, but they are still in the Marshall Islands. I need to recon Canton Island soon. I'll have additional forces move towards the Marshall's in case I need more troops. The 252nd Bde. is loading at Guam for Rabaul.

APD's are deploying to the Celebes to speed up the rate of invasions of smaller bases. Priority is to get air support units in place and closing off Allied access to the DEI.

KB sails WNW to hopefully avoid detection from Christmas Island. This will put her two days S.E. of Canton Island and almost in position to support landings at Baker Island as the invasion TF approaches. I have no indication of Allied ships around Baker Island, but I've ordered it reconned today.

The remaining four days in December will set the pace for January. It's Blitzkrieg in the Pacific time.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 108
RE: Quick note on the economy - 9/7/2012 3:42:27 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

+1

Every Sally you produce is just one more pilot you jeopardize. At least that is how I look at it. And my investment in bomber pilots is a lot higher than fighter pilots (train more skills, takes longer to produce). I get Helen's (the 2nd one with armor) in production ASAP and phase out the Sally ASAP. I put the Sally's on ASW duty where they have little chance of intercept and allow attrition to slowly wear them away.

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 109
RE: Quick note on the economy - 9/7/2012 3:56:12 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

+1

Supply and as far as I know, resource movement, is governed by the overall size of the base. Something like P + A + 0.5*F. I build up Fusan to max max max. I also tend to use ships that will load in one day. I also send all the construction units to Fusan early in the game to get it going ASAP. By the end of Dec I have resources flowing well enough that I can meet HI requirements from HOK and Fusan. I'm also pulling small amounts of fuel and oil from Fusan (those small tankers, just one per TF each) just to get the flow of both going in anticipation of the DEI and getting central China open from Singers to Korea. Then in summer '42 when this is all achieved, the oil and fuel flows start moving quite nicely.

Remember that the resouce/supply movement AI isn't complex* ... it likes to do what it last did. It takes a LOT of time to get it to make a change. That's why I start from the very first day. I establish the flow pattern I want first, then do "maintenance" shipments to keep it that way. I never use any other mainland asia port to ship from. Ever.

* If you're an engineer, think of the PID controller as low gain and almost zero on Integral and some Derivative. Meaning, it doesn't anticipate changes, likes to go back to what it was and doesn't react to swings very quickly. Your only counter to this is stubborn, persistent, contrary inputs to shift its "central" pattern. It takes a lot of cycles to effect this (cycles = days). 30 - 100 are typical in this case.

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 110
Quick Dec. 28th update - 9/7/2012 4:09:11 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Ack, my timing is off all over the map. Still waiting for ships to arrive at certain ports, and the sailing of invasion TF's is being held up by slow loading and lack of transports.

I'll launch an assault against Loyang tomorrow with four Divisions and three Tank Rgt.'s. Bombers are trying to soften up the defenders prior to the ground attack. The Chinese are attempting to move out of the base, I don't know if the bombers have slowed them down enough to catch them. I'm not sure if 1900 AV will be enough and they are not prepped for Loyang. I'll just have to wait and see, there's always the chance the Chinese win the race and move out next turn. That would be ok, a supply producing base captured for no loss. I must be careful though, depending if Jocke tries or not, I'm vulnerable to being cutoff if the attack fails.

The Allies didn't CAP Rangoon, so the sweeps were unopposed. I'll continue to expand airbases and stock supply, then hit the base hard when I'm ready. The Zero's have been deployed back to the DEI to support operations there.

Moulmein will be attacked today, I don't expect much as I'm still waiting for two Thai divisions to arrive.

The Kendari invasion TF will begin landing tomorrow. Only one regiment is landing in the initial wave, follow up troops including a BF will arrive in a few days. I set LRCAP to cover the TF's, hopefully they prevent any enemy bombers from hitting the transports.

Now, I've left myself too thin of surface ships for the Celebes. I sent CV Kaga and the other carriers back to Japan to repair, including my banged up surface ships. I'm diverting five CA's and 5 DD's to reinforce my naval presence here. Once repaired, the CV's will support landings in the Aleutians.

I've decided to land on Java with the 38th Division. I want to establish a foothold and throw off the timing of the Allied response. I'm certain Jocke is expecting me to land at Palembang before I try for Java. I'll land at Kalidjati to get control of a decent airbase immediately for CAP. I'll be expecting to see a heavy Allied naval presence and will come prepared.

KB will be spotted ENE of Canton Island today, but unfortunately I've had problems getting my Baker Island invasion TF to load, it's bigtime late. I'll do my best now to take both Baker and Canton Islands while KB can provide support. My recon is grounded due to weather at both bases, I'm going in completely blind.

I figure it will be at least a week and a half yet until I begin an assault of Singapore. I need to take four more bases with armour to open up the rail line, then get everything moving. Falling behind schedule here now too.

Despite my initial preparations, the wheels have come off somewhat transitioning to the next set of operations. Nothing critical, but every small delay will have consequences later. I must get moving. I'm still not functioning at the level I need to be right now. I've wasted at minimum a week, closer to two, to be honest.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 111
A note on Sub Ops - 9/7/2012 4:54:54 PM   
SqzMyLemon

After the initial slaughterfest of fleeing Allied shipping, Japanese submarines have not recorded a hit since Dec. 21st. Spotting of enemy TF's has also dried up. I'll be bringing in boats to rearm/refuel and then set up new patrol zones over the month of January. Right now I'm mainly supporting KB and various amphibious operations.

Dutch and Allied S-Boats are starting to make their presence known with a number of hits and sinkings lately in the Celebes and South China Sea's.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 112
Brief Dec. 30th update - 9/7/2012 9:33:50 PM   
SqzMyLemon

China:

The attack against Loyang was a success. My force easily swept aside 500 AV of Chinese troops causing 450+ squads lost. There's my January quota taken take of . As much as I'm happy about the outcome, I know Jocke hates China and feels the entire theatre is unbalanced.

It appears the secondary road to Sian is open. I'll recon the route to see if anything is waiting for me in the woods. The armour is ordered ahead of the infantry, speed matters. Luckily for me, the Chinese force retreated to Tsiaotso. There are now 14 units soon to be trapped behind my advance at Tsiaotso and Chengchow.

Units are now marching to force the mountain pass west of Taiyuan along the secondary road. Three infantry divisions and two armour units will attack in a few days. I decided to bypass Yenan all to together now and march directly for Sian. Providing I can break through the mountains, the troops around Yenan will be in serious trouble if they don't start pulling out now.

There are now at least 10 Chinese units cut off around Chuhsien. Another five are trapped on the wrong side of the river between Kukong and Nanchang. I have to play this smart, because there is definitely a chance for the Chinese to fight their way through, unless they are out of supply.

I think Jocke is now paying the price for an aggressive opening. He roughed up some Japanese units, but they'll recover. The Chinese forces I'm going to hammer will not, unless I destroy them outright. I'll look at trapping and starving them into submission instead.

Burma:

Moulmein fell easily. I'd forgotten how weak the initial Commonwealth troops are in Burma. On to Pegu.

The Celebes:

My Kendari TF ended up one hex short in order to land today...sigh. I'm covering this force with LRCAP from Manado and a SCTF of 2 BB's, 2 CA's and 6 DD's. There is an enemy TF spotted near Makassar that could cause me trouble tomorrow. I'll have to rely on my SCTF doing it's job of protecting the amphibious landing. All Betty's and Nell's in range are set to naval attack if the Allies approach. Three submarines are screening the route to Kendari as well, I may get lucky or at least slow the enemy TF down.

The Philippines:

The 2nd Division is being withdrawn from Mindanao for deployment to New Guinea now that the main objectives are secure. Now we wait for lack of supply to do it's thing.

Central Pacific:

KB spots a group of enemy PT's near Canton Island. An AMC recon flight indicates one unit at the base, but DL is low so there could be more. If needed, KB can hammer the island prior to invasion. I've a force of CL's and DD's moving in to deal with the PT's.

Thoughts:

I feel better. A solid attack at Loyang crushes the Chinese. I'm moving forward now and have the strength to deal with enemy forces on my terms. Nanyang is to be bypassed for now. Chinese forces in clear terrain will now get hammered from the air or attacked by ground forces at every opportunity. The race for Sian is on.

BC Repulse was spotted by submarine south of Java and heading to Australia. Very interesting!

My damaged CV's will arrive at Hiroshima tomorrow and begin repairs. I'll cobble together some units to seize Adak in the Aleutians.

Should be some action if Jocke contests the Kendari landing.

Edit note: Jocke mentioned in his e-mail along with the next turn he's got large forces in my rear in China. He sounds pretty confident they can do some damage, however, they have no source of supply. That's going to really limit what he can do. I'm looking to follow behind him and close off the hexside if he invests any Japanese ocupied hex. Plus, I'm ramping up the number of bombers available in China. It's going to get ugly for his supply situation once those stacks start getting hammered.

There is a growing concern that Jocke will attack both Hankow and Wuchang. I should have sufficient AV to deal with anything but a massive assault. The priority is contain cut off enemy troops and prevent a breach of my MLR. It could get very interesting, but I have to think I've started to turn things around in China.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 9/7/2012 11:00:39 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 113
RE: Brief Dec. 30th update - 9/7/2012 11:33:32 PM   
PaxMondo

Looking Good!

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 114
Dec. 25-31/41 - 9/9/2012 12:13:45 AM   
SqzMyLemon

I've fallen behind once again. It's time to get caught up and start providing some screenshots to bring the war up to date.

122541:

Sub Ops:

Japan

Nothing to report.

Allied

SS Plunger shells the sinks the xAKL Hitora Maru off the coast of Kobe. No ASW attack.

The Philippines:

What I believed to be an enemy TF of PT's spotted at Busuanga turned out to be a number of transports escorted by a lone PG. The CL Jintsu and four DD's were dispatched and the AAR follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Busuanga at 77,80, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Jintsu, Shell hits 1
DD Oshio
DD Shikinami
DD Ayanami
DD Sagiri

Allied Ships
PG Isabel, Shell hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP President Madison
xAP Don Esteban, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Tantalus, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Yu Sang, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Governor Wright, Shell hits 12, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

The xAP President Madision escaped...for now.

In an effort to destroy the American B-17's at Cagayan a night time bombardment is ordered. Unfortunately, the undamaged B-17's appear to have been redeployed. The base was hit hard and resulted in 4 MP, 10 AB, 4 ABS, 27 Runway, 8 Port and 1 Port Fuel hits including 6593 Fires. A further 17 non-combat squads and 9 AFV's were destroyed.

Davao was captured easily after the first assault. Troops began landing at Zamboanga.

China:

A Japanese deliberate attack by three Tank Rgt.'s near Kanhsien fails to dislodge the Chinese defenders. For no loss, Chinese forces suffered 0(59) infantry, 0(9) non-combat and 0(2) engineer squads disabled totalling 466 casualties.

Pakhoi is captured by the 22 JNAF AF Bn.

Four Chinese Corps (639 AV) rout two Japanese artillery units near Nanyang. This allows the Chinese to escape destruction and rejoin their MLR.

Miscellaneous:

Tawi Tawi is occupied by the Japanese

Bayombong expands fortifications to size 1
Naga expands fortifications to size 1
Kuantan expands fortifications to size 3

Natori-1 converting to E13A1 Jake

xAK Kimnon Maru arrives at Amoy
xAK Sana Maru arrives at Shanghai

122641:

China:

Minesweepers have arrived at Hong Kong and the port is being cleared.

The Philippines:

CL Jintsu and friends sink xAP President Madison and AS Holland today near Taytay.

Zamboanga is captured.

Central Pacific:

Amhipbious landing at Ocean Island and the base falls easily destroying the Australian Heron Det.

Malaya:

Bombing of Singapore continues to prevent fort construction. I'll refrain from posting anything further on Singapaore until my troops are in position to launch an assault.

Kuala Lumpur is captured.

Sumatra:

AMc Jarak is sunk at Sabang by G3M2 Nell's based from Kuantan.

Miscellaneous:

Tapul is occupied by the Japanese

Kuantan expands airfield to size 5

xAK Renzan Maru arrives at Hakodate
xAK Rizan Maru arrives at Amoy
xAKL Hokuzan Maru arrives at Cam Ranh Bay

Maizuru 2nd SNLF arrives at Kwajalein Island
II/84th Naval Guard Unit arrives at Saipan
50th JNAF Coy arrives at Tokyo

122741:

Burma:

Japanese sweeps against Rangoon are unopposed.

China:

Chinese defenders at Loyang are being softened up by bombers in preparation for a ground assault.

Hong Kong is cleared of mines. The 38th Division will now redeploy to Sumatra and deal with Palembang.

The Phillipines:

Amphibious landing at Dadjangas.

Miscellaneous:

Atimonan is occupied by the Japanese

Pilot Yano, S. is reported as having been found

xAK Nishi Maru arrives at Bangkok
xAK Ekkai Maru arrives at Shanghai

28th Mountain Gun Regiment arrives at Harbin

122841:

Sub Ops:

Japan

Nothing to report.

Allied:

SS S-39 sinks xAK Taibun Maru near Cam Ranh Bay. No ASW attack.

China:

Loyang's defenders continue to get pounded by air attack.

Malaya:

Temuloh is captured.

New Guinea:

Amphibious landing at Hollandia.

The Philippines:

The 1st/101st PA Bn. and 2nd/101st PA Bn. are destoyed near Davao by ground assault.

Dadjangas is captured by the II/81st Naval Guard unit.

Sumatra:

Fast Transort landing at Muntok.

Miscellanneous:

Japan

Iba is occupied by the Japanese

Ominato expands port to size 6
Bayombong expands fortifications to size 2
Singkawang expands fortifications to size 2

SC Ch 25 arrives at Yokohama/Yokosuka
xAK Taizan Maru arrives at Amoy

Allied

Hilo expands airfield to size 2
Bombay expands airfield to size 5

I'm not sure, but I believe this is the first intelligence on Allied expansions of the war.

122941:

Sub Ops:

Japan

SS I-160 misses DD Vampire near Waingapoe, but discovers the location of BC Repulse.

Allied

SS Tarpon sinks PB Kenkon Maru near Manado.

Borneo:

Two HDML's are sunk at Tarakan by Nell's based at Singkawang.

Burma:

Moulmein falls easily. Allied troops retreat after suffering 40(11) infantry, 24(25) non-combat and 4(0) engineer squads lost including 4(0) guns and 1(0) AFV's lost totalling 1281 casualties. Japanese suffer a number of diabled squads totalling 73 casualties.

China:

Loyang's defenders are hammered again by air attack prior to the ground assault. Chinese forces are crushed and routed at Loyang. Four Japanese Division's and four Tank Rgt.'s suffer 2(42) infantry, 0(6) non-combat and 0(8) engineer squads lost totalling 634 casualties, while Chinese receive 488(69) infantry, 547(56) non-combat, 44(3) engineer squads lost including 34(6) guns totalling 11316 casualties.

The Gilbert islands:

Amphibious landing at Tabiteuea and the base is captured.

Malaya:

Port Swettenham is captured.

New Guinea:

Hollandia is captured.

Sumatra:

Muntok captured.

Miscellaneous:

Cabanatuan is occupied by the Japanese

Chiang Mai expands airfield to size 2
Chumphon expands airfield to size 2

AMC Akagi Maru arrives at Osaka/Kyoto
AS Heian Maru arrives at Kobe

xAP Kachidoki Maru arrives at Shanghai

Allied

CA Minneapolis is reported to have been sunk near Starbuck Island on Dec 25, 1941

123041:

Sub Ops:

Japan

SS I-160 misses AVP Bellatrix.

Celebes:

Amphibious landing at Kendari.

Miscellaneous:

Lingayen is occupied by the Japanese

Bayombong expands airfield to size 1
Ambon expands fortifications to size 2

Aoba-1 converting to E13A1 Jake

37th JNAF AF Unit arrives at Tokyo

123141:

Sub Ops:

Allied

SS Thresher misses DD Kuretake near Kochi.

Borneo:

Fast Transport landing at Jesselton.

Sambas is captured after a DA by the Japanese 124th Inf. Rgt. Another 13(4) infantry, 38(1) non-combat and 3(0) engineer squads are lost including 2(2) guns totalling 675 casualties. No Japanese losses.

China:

Bombing attacks are now focused on Nanyang.

The Celebes:

Kendari falls after the first assault by the 20th Inf. Rgt. Japanese suffer a few disabled squads totalling 66 casualties. Allied forces are driven back with 4(3) infantry, 23(2) non-combat and 4(0) engineer squads lost including 1(0) guns and 4(0) AFV's destroyed totalling 486 casualties.

Central Pacific:

A Japanese SCTF of two CL's and five DD's sinks one enemy PT Boat at Enderbury Island. This TF is clearing the way for the amphibious TF which will arrive in a few days.

Amphibious landing at Baker Island and the base is captured.

The Marshall Islands:

A sighting of an Allied SCTF south of Eniwetok draws the attention of CA Nachi and DD Oboro. French AMC Cap Des Palmes is sunk.

Miscellaneous:

Butuan is occupied by the Japanese

Jehol expands airfield to size 7
Kanhsien expands fortifications to size 1
Paotow expands fortifications to size 2

Nagara-1 converting to E13A1 Jake

xAK Toko Maru arrives at Tokyo
xAK Tozan Maru arrives at Canton

Thoughts:

So ends 1941. Japanese forces are moving on all fronts and have suffered negligible losses to date. Allied forces seem reluctant to engage within range of LBA, so I'm advancing quickly now. I admit I've faced little to no opposition yet, but Singapore, Palembang and Java will be another matter. Eight enemy units now located at Palembang will mean a hard fight and risk trashing the industry upon capture.

I'll next post screenshots showing the situation of the major theatres as of Jan. 1/42 and go over the scorecard for the month.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 9/9/2012 12:15:27 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 115
1942 - 9/9/2012 6:29:41 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Northern China:

Chinese squads and guns destroyed (all causes) for Dec. 1941.

1373 Infantry
1087 Non-combat
117 Engineer
87 Guns

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 9/9/2012 6:33:35 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 116
RE: 1942 - 9/9/2012 7:06:48 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Southern China:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 117
RE: 1942 - 9/9/2012 7:26:45 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Malaya, Sumatra and Borneo:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 118
RE: 1942 - 9/9/2012 7:39:25 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Mindanao and Borneo:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 119
RE: 1942 - 9/9/2012 7:50:01 AM   
SqzMyLemon

The Celebes:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Shameless B-day plug Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI