Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Update Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Update - 4/21/2013 6:03:57 PM   
SqzMyLemon

June 26/42:

Only thing of note today was a Chinese river crossing that I expected to get whacked, instead they form a bridgehead for little loss. A Japanese division and tank regiment in rough/wooded terrain defending against a river shock attack by four undersupplied Chinese Corps. I foolishly ordered a counterattack this turn with the intention of taking advantage of high disruption. I expect to get creamed though, because it's obvious the Chinese didn't suffer badly during the crossing. Dumb on my part and a reaction to what I felt was a BS combat result. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 81,42 (near Ankang)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 23213 troops, 151 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 873

Defending force 12947 troops, 76 guns, 144 vehicles, Assault Value = 498

Allied adjusted assault: 157

Japanese adjusted defense: 892

Allied assault odds: 1 to 5

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
156 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
735 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 97 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Assaulting units:
55th Chinese Corps
61st Chinese Corps
77th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
1st War Area
31st Group Army
36th Group Army

Defending units:
12th Tank Regiment
63rd Division

Other than that, a pretty quiet day in the Pacific.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 631
Update - 4/21/2013 9:30:36 PM   
SqzMyLemon

July 28/42:

The Philippines:

A second deliberate attack against Manila reduced the forts down to level two. Engineers continue to pay a heavy price, but it's clear the defenders are weakening. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Manila (79,77)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 97372 troops, 1231 guns, 680 vehicles, Assault Value = 2887

Defending force 68810 troops, 771 guns, 794 vehicles, Assault Value = 2163

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 2043

Allied adjusted defense: 2897

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3728 casualties reported
Squads: 21 destroyed, 525 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 59 disabled
Engineers: 60 destroyed, 57 disabled
Guns lost 54 (5 destroyed, 49 disabled)
Vehicles lost 48 (8 destroyed, 40 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2230 casualties reported
Squads: 17 destroyed, 212 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 76 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 46 disabled
Guns lost 43 (5 destroyed, 38 disabled)
Vehicles lost 17 (1 destroyed, 16 disabled)

The Gilbert Islands:

The latest two naval bombardment against Makin:

June 27th - 0(7) infantry, 1(19) non-combat, 0(0) engineer, 1(12) guns, 0(0) AFV's
June 28th - 2(8) infantry, 2(10) non-combat, 0(5) engineer, 1(10) guns, 0(0) AFV's

Allied APD's were spotted heading to Makin by a small CVL TF I've had parked and undetected in the Central Pacific for a week. As usual, I'm a little disappointed in only hitting two APD's, but sinking any at this stage matters. It's clear Makin is in trouble if supply doesn't reach the base. Can I land and take the base prior to Jocke sending a stronger force to get supply to the island. Should I risk sending KB for refit when the issue of Makin has yet to be decided. If Jocke commits his CV's to insure supply gets through, I may not be able to prevent it. Naval air strike AAR follows:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Howland Island at 149,123

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24
B5N2 Kate x 28

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
APD Waters, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
APD Little
APD Pillsbury, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
APD Gregory

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
11 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo

Southeast Pacific:

Allied APD's were also detected landing troops on an island, I can't remember the name (Tannu maybe?), east of New Caledonia and south of Luganville. I need to shore up my positions if I intend on making a fight of it in this theatre.

Production:

Ki-44 IIb Tojo advances R&D to 5/43.

Two large fuel/oil TF have reached the Home Islands, fuel stocks are now at 1,096,459 while oil is 1,777,336. Supply is only at 670,485, but I've had to send supply to China recently, as local production can't provide sufficient amounts needed to stockpile at forward bases. I'm confident supply will recover over the coming six months.

I've decided to stop completion of BB Musashi. I feel the HI can be put to better use. I also have burned through about 5k worth of vehicle points lately and that concerns me. I'm increasing production, so stopping Musashi makes sense right now.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/21/2013 9:31:37 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 632
RE: Update - 4/22/2013 5:13:26 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I'm withdrawing the CVL TF back towards Kwajalein today. I don't like presenting two CVL's as easy targets for Allied CV's, especially with KB heading back to Japan for refit. I did break off one CA and a DD to try and chase down the remaining APD's.

Should be a quiet turn otherwise. My focus is now shifting back to production and the economy somewhat. Following the decision to stop Musashi, it's imperative that I get my long term HI, fuel, oil and supply projections sorted out. I must be able to sustain the war effort into late 45 to get the benefits of my extensive aircraft R&D.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 633
Thoughts - 4/22/2013 7:17:53 PM   
SqzMyLemon

With the fall of Manila likely to occur within the next few weeks, what could/should I do with the forces currently committed there? The 5th Division has already withdrawn from the fight for Manila and is earmarked for the invasion of Makin. That leaves six divisions and numerous supporting artillery, engineer and tank units to deploy elsewhere.

My first inclination is to secure my position in Burma by a landing at Cox's Bazar to push the Allied start line back a few hundred miles while moving to secure the jungle terrain along the border with India. I briefly contemplated an invasion of Ceylon, but that might be well past it's due date.

I'm also tinkering with invading Northeast Australia to deny a solely Allied LBA covered base of operations for a move against New Guinea. The Solomon Islands chain is too easily bypassed if the Allies choose this route, so preventing a build up here for the remainder of 42 could prove valuable.

I bought myself six months of no enemy activity in the New Caledonia/Espiritu Santo area, but that is changing now with the realization that small APD TF's are active quietly reinforcing the region. I can not stop Australia from being reinforced, but will focusing on operations in the Southeast Pacific act to draw out Allied assets to battle for the remainder of 42. How would fighting in this theatre improve my overall defence, if at all?

The Aleutians do nothing for me other than to deny them to the Allies, is it worth mounting a late 42 invasion to secure them prior to the weather deteriorating?

Is the Allied presence in the Gilbert Islands simply a feint to draw my attention, or is it intended as the first stage of a Central Pacific focused advance?

I've stopped reading Jocke's AAR against obvert some time ago to prevent myself being influenced by what is occurring there. Unfortunately, Jocke isn't showing me much in our game for me to base any kind of educated guess as to a possible favoured Allied approach. Jocke is definitely keeping his cards pretty close to his chest at this stage and he's definitely conserving his navy and air force. I suspect he had no idea how close he came to risking his CV's though during the Makin landing. A couple more days, or a fully fueled KB could have changed the complexion of the war dramatically in May.

As always, I'm throwing stuff out there for thoughts or opinions. Other than the Makin operation, Horn Island is yet to be captured, as is Canton Island if still possible. My intention with any further large scale operations against India or Australia is strictly defensive in nature. I want to fight a defensive air battle over my own territory as much as possible to safeguard pilots lives and inflict prohibitive pilot and bomber losses on the enemy. I'm not looking for the cliché decisive battle, but I do want/need to start bleeding Allied assets. Will the Allies play ball though? That is a big question.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 634
Update - 4/23/2013 6:23:30 AM   
SqzMyLemon

June 29/42:

Quiet turn.

Central Pacific:

CA Myoko failed to intercept the remaining enemy APD's. All ships are retiring to within naval LBA range. Makin will be hit with another naval bombardment tomorrow.

China:

I failed to eliminate the bridgehead west of Ankang after two deliberate attacks. This will now become the escape route for the Chinese. My main focus remains Lanchow.

Burma:

Low on supply. Will need to get surplus supply from Palembang on the move.

The Philippines:

Latest Artillery bombardment caused no Japanese losses. Thanks to those that said stick with the bombing and artillery attacks. I also think the decision to heavily reinforce was the catalyst to break the stalemate. I will be relieved to finally wrap this theatre up and redeploy the troops.

Off Topic:

More models arrived today from Czechoslovakia. I ordered a British B-24 Liberator used in the CBI theatre and two more Fokker DR.1 Triplanes, as well as a photo-etch detail set for another B-24 Liberator kit I've had for some time. I also got a 1:48 scale Japanese CV deck base that I'm excited about. I plan on mounting either a Kate or Val on it. I so need a year long sabbatical from work and unfortunately AE to get some kits finally finished. AE just sucks up so much of my time it's frightening.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 635
RE: Update - 4/23/2013 9:22:48 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

...AE just sucks up so much of my time it's frightening.

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 636
RE: Thoughts - 4/23/2013 10:18:23 AM   
obvert

quote:

My first inclination is to secure my position in Burma by a landing at Cox's Bazar to push the Allied start line back a few hundred miles while moving to secure the jungle terrain along the border with India. I briefly contemplated an invasion of Ceylon, but that might be well past it's due date.

I've been cautioned that mid-42 is too late for an India landing, but I'm not so sure if you know where his CVs are located. He will see it coming through sigint, and the actual conquering of the base could be difficult. Depends on what the air situation is at the time.

quote:

I'm also tinkering with invading Northeast Australia to deny a solely Allied LBA covered base of operations for a move against New Guinea. The Solomon Islands chain is too easily bypassed if the Allies choose this route, so preventing a build up here for the remainder of 42 could prove valuable.

I think this just gives him a chance to use restricted Aussie units and doesn't stop anything, just tires your forces and extends your perimeter. Are you building the Solomons extensively? I would choose a line farther back, somewhere around Rabaul or even farther onto North New Guinea as the hard line. The rest is just about delay. Looking at the GJ-Q-Ball game, what will really hurt are well timed parries as he moves forward, but leaving a bunch of guys sitting behind the Allied advance, as both GJ and I faced once the Allies got moving, is not great and speeds the pace of the next stage invasions.

quote:

I bought myself six months of no enemy activity in the New Caledonia/Espiritu Santo area, but that is changing now with the realization that small APD TF's are active quietly reinforcing the region. I can not stop Australia from being reinforced, but will focusing on operations in the Southeast Pacific act to draw out Allied assets to battle for the remainder of 42. How would fighting in this theatre improve my overall defence, if at all?

Most players try to 'fix' mistakes they made in previous games in their new game. Jocke will not fight a big war in the Caledonia/Hebrides in your game. He will either go Cent Pac or right to New Guinea, or he'll just miss the theatre altogether. It took him over a year to move from Caledonia up and finally make a landing at Port Moresby and capture that base. He won't repeat that.

quote:

The Aleutians do nothing for me other than to deny them to the Allies, is it worth mounting a late 42 invasion to secure them prior to the weather deteriorating?

Is the Allied presence in the Gilbert Islands simply a feint to draw my attention, or is it intended as the first stage of a Central Pacific focused advance?

I wouldn't worry yet about what he's going to do, but look at what you can't afford to lose. Think about what you want to keep longest and stack stuff there. Then worry about delaying whichever axis he chooses. Make sure the ducks are in a row and places like the DEI, Kuriles, Marianas and Burma get forces (no quick game changing assaults), but assess your own goals in defense as well.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 637
RE: Thoughts - 4/23/2013 4:59:27 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Good thoughts as always Erik.

I think your Australian analogy can apply to India as well in terms of the use of restricted units. Something for me to think on. I'll keep plans for an operation against India in my pocket for now. I do have a number of divisions already prepped, but that won't affect anything if I decide it's a no go.

Here's my initial thoughts. Jocke will move directly against New Guinea and bypass the Solomon Islands. I believe he's going to make a big move in the Central Pacific. I also feel a Sumatra operation is not out of the question either. I'm basing this on the fact that Jocke is getting a lot of advice from Bullwinkle, Speedy and others that profess a more direct approach. Jocke also follows AAR's of the more aggressive Allied players, so I believe he'll try something bold.

I'm finally saving PP's to buy out combat LCU's to man the MLR. I now have just over 1000 in total. I've been fortifying bases from day one. As more engineer units become available the pace will certainly increase. I'm concentrating on the Central Pacific at the moment, but Sumatra will be getting a lot more attention.

In Burma, I'm planning on a tenacious defence of Rangoon's air space, the problem will be the enemy bases at Akyab and Cox's Bazar. I need to force bombers to operate without fighter support in order to cause prohibitive losses on the Allies. Denying bases for enemy sweep purposes is a priority.

I think I have the right mentality for defending with Japan. I believe relying on a static defence is a mistake. You simply can't protect everything in strength, there's always a weak point to be exploited. You have to be flexible and reactionary. However, I wouldn't rule out a large scale spoiling attack on my part either. If Jocke overreaches and leaves an opening, I hope to recognize it quickly and strike effectively.

More later...I need to get some work done today!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 638
Update - 4/24/2013 5:21:22 AM   
SqzMyLemon

June 30/42:

Another quiet turn.

The Gilbert Islands:

Makin naval bombardment:

1(8) infantry, 0(11) non-combat, 0(0) engineer, 0(0) guns, 0(0) AFV's

I've moved the range down to 8k with no risk of CD gunfire. I'll be monitoring the damage at these closer ranges. Does anyone know if there is a sweetspot to inflict the most damage?

China:

I'm targeting Kweiyang's airbase.

The Philippines:

Another deliberate attack is ordered for July 1st.

Thoughts:

I hate July. Will Jocke exploit the absence of KB if he's operating on the assumption that I'm performing refits, or will he be upgrading his own CV's? KB is one turn out from the Home islands and I'll be flying off all airgroups after resizing to allow for training while the ships refit. I've noticed in the past that if you don't, they are frozen in place and can't be moved off the ships during their refits. Gaining three weeks of training is nothing to sneeze at.

Vehicle points are still falling rapidly, I'm down to just over 10k in the pool. I've begun turning off all replacement and upgrades to see if that stems the tide and rebuilds the pool. I have been receiving most of the 1st and 2nd Tank Division sub-components lately so I wonder if that is the major cause of the freefall. Regardless, that just confirms what others like Pax, nygiants and obvert have been saying, get that vehicle pool growing in preparation for the late war reinforcements.

A big shift for the remainder of 1942 to the defensive and getting bases built up for the securing of the Empire. I've begun shifting 5th Air Division HQ's Tojo Sentai's to New Guinea. They'll be followed by JAAF bomber Sentai's after the fall of Manila. Despite taking a defensive stance early once again, I will use the fleet offensively if opportunity knocks. It's just that I'm going to be quite selective in what merits the fuel expenditure and chance of victory.

Off Topic:

I'm now the proud owner of a 1:72 scale model B.Mk.VI Liberator in British CBI service, as well as a nice sized 1:48 plastic base representing the carrier deck of the Shokaku or Zuikaku. I also picked up some WW1 aircraft, two more Fokker Dr.1 Triplanes and an Albatros D.V in 1:48 scale. I really need counselling on my model buying obsession . Michael?

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 639
Question - 4/24/2013 4:51:39 PM   
SqzMyLemon

With July upon us, I'm now able to resize my CV groups. This is what I did for both the Hiyo and Junyo: 27 fighters, 18 dive bombers and 9 torpedo bombers. This puts me at 53/54 for capacity. My reasoning for only 9 TB's was the 18 torpedo sortie limit for each ship. No point having 27 Kate's that only carry 18 torpedoes. What's your preferred aircraft allotment?

I haven't resized KB yet.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 640
RE: Question - 4/24/2013 5:20:02 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

With July upon us, I'm now able to resize my CV groups. This is what I did for both the Hiyo and Junyo: 27 fighters, 18 dive bombers and 9 torpedo bombers. This puts me at 53/54 for capacity. My reasoning for only 9 TB's was the 18 torpedo sortie limit for each ship. No point having 27 Kate's that only carry 18 torpedoes. What's your preferred aircraft allotment?

I haven't resized KB yet.

I go with 18 Kates in those cases. My KB becomes a "one shot weapon". TBs are the only ones who can really make the diffeence in a CV battle. Untill you get the Judy with its 500kg payload (at 6 hexes, mind you), the Vals are, more or less, useless.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 641
RE: Question - 4/24/2013 5:51:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

What's your preferred aircraft allotment?

So long as enemy ships are your primary nemesis, I'd continue to stick with a full complement (18) of TBs and minimize the number of DBs given a choice. I agree with GreyJoy.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 642
RE: Question - 4/24/2013 6:10:38 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Good points about the TB's. I'm torn though. So often I've had TB's go after nimble DD's and waste their torpedoes. With the DB's at least I know they have a better chance of hitting a DD. Perhaps a compromise is in order, Hiyo at 27F 18 DB 9 TB and Junyo at 27F 9DB and 18 TB. That way everything is covered, but it's all really moot considering you have no control on what aircraft type targets what class of enemy ship. Thanks for the input and I'll take these considerations into account when dealing with KB.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/24/2013 6:11:10 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 643
RE: Question - 4/24/2013 6:21:16 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

Good points about the TB's. I'm torn though. So often I've had TB's go after nimble DD's and waste their torpedoes. With the DB's at least I know they have a better chance of hitting a DD. Perhaps a compromise is in order, Hiyo at 27F 18 DB 9 TB and Junyo at 27F 9DB and 18 TB. That way everything is covered, but it's all really moot considering you have no control on what aircraft type targets what class of enemy ship. Thanks for the input and I'll take these considerations into account when dealing with KB.

Well, if you know there are only DDs in the attacked area, i'd simply swicth the TBs to carry bombs instead of torps. Or simply let the TBs down and go only with DBs.
If you have a decent chance to get close to enemy's major warships, go for a full TBs strike, imho.
And if you cannot be sure if the enemy CVs are around...well, you should simply avoid the fight.

things will change when the 4th version of the Judy will come along. That beauty uses the 800kg bomb at normal range (6) and a still deadly 500kg bomb at extended (8). In this cases i think the Judy becomes superior to the Jills. It's 50mhp faster and doesn't suffer as much as the low-flying TBs from AA fire.

But, untill then, go for the Kates

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 644
Off topic - 4/24/2013 6:21:55 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Having read about various book recommendations in a few different AAR's, I've recently ordered a few:

Fire in the Sky
Soviet Military Operational Art: In Pursuit of Deep Battle
Russia against Napoleon

These will be added to the 30 or so still on the 'to read shelf' of my bookcase.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 645
Things that make you go hmmm... - 4/24/2013 9:05:23 PM   
SqzMyLemon

You know how you often read into things what may, or may not be true, from comments made when corresponding with someone? Jocke sent the turn earlier today and mentioned "Let's see if July will be a little more active than previous months!" So of course my mind is now going over a hundred possible scenarios, and should I have sent KB for refit? If Jocke moves during July, I may not be able to do much to stop him, especially if he goes for New Caledonia, Luganville or reinforces his position in the Gilbert Islands.

This is what makes playing another person so great, but also can lead to those sleepless nights of angst wondering if you made a mistake or misread what was happening. So, let's indeed see if July will be more active.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/24/2013 9:06:29 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 646
RE: Things that make you go hmmm... - 4/24/2013 10:32:21 PM   
obvert

quote:

You know how you often read into things what may, or may not be true, from comments made when corresponding with someone? Jocke sent the turn earlier today and mentioned "Let's see if July will be a little more active than previous months!" So of course my mind is now going over a hundred possible scenarios, and should I have sent KB for refit? If Jocke moves during July, I may not be able to do much to stop him, especially if he goes for New Caledonia, Luganville or reinforces his position in the Gilbert Islands.

This is what makes playing another person so great, but also can lead to those sleepless nights of angst wondering if you made a mistake or misread what was happening. So, let's indeed see if July will be more active.

He always adds something to get you thinking he's up to something. usually he is, but the degree is never shown by the comment. interesting, huh?

I always quiver when he's itching to get the turn back. He will send a note like, 'Tried something I shouldn't have today. Will be up waiting for the replay!' Which of course means I'm up late having to run the replay.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 647
RE: Things that make you go hmmm... - 4/24/2013 10:39:30 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Will be up waiting for the replay!

I definitely plan on making him sweat a little with some slow e-mails or minimalistic replies that give little away. Call it reverse SigInt Japanese style.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 648
RE: Off topic - 4/25/2013 3:34:00 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Having read about various book recommendations in a few different AAR's, I've recently ordered a few:

Fire in the Sky
Soviet Military Operational Art: In Pursuit of Deep Battle
Russia against Napoleon

These will be added to the 30 or so still on the 'to read shelf' of my bookcase.

So, go ahead and ship them to me. I will read them and send them back to you where they will await your reading pleasure. (My book purchase funds are a little limited at the moment)

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 4/25/2013 3:35:00 AM >

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 649
RE: Off topic - 4/25/2013 6:06:46 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

(My book purchase funds are a little limited at the moment)

I'm in the same boat, I've been slowly getting through my book stash and try to use the library as much as possible. Luckily, these three books were all purchased with gift cards received at Christmas.

My last model purchase for some time too. There's a hobby shop in Vancouver I try to get to once a year (August) when they have a customer appreciation sale with everything in the store a minimum 25% off. Too good a deal to resist and last year I picked up a 1:350 scale Essex for half price! I digress though, Lemon-San has house projects to complete and needs to tighten the financial belt with no more fun purchases till August.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 650
Update - 4/25/2013 6:28:39 AM   
SqzMyLemon

July 1/42:

Another quiet turn.

The Philippines:

The third deliberate attack against Manila suffered heavier casualties, fortunately most were from the 11th Garrison Unit and 64th Infantry Group. Back to air and artillery bombardment until troops recover.

Ground combat at Manila (79,77)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 92927 troops, 1229 guns, 672 vehicles, Assault Value = 2546

Defending force 66449 troops, 759 guns, 793 vehicles, Assault Value = 1924

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 1642

Allied adjusted defense: 2219

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
8305 casualties reported
Squads: 126 destroyed, 434 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 99 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 86 disabled
Guns lost 82 (5 destroyed, 77 disabled)
Vehicles lost 59 (2 destroyed, 57 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
3033 casualties reported
Squads: 34 destroyed, 129 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 102 disabled
Engineers: 22 destroyed, 32 disabled
Guns lost 60 (20 destroyed, 40 disabled)
Vehicles lost 47 (8 destroyed, 39 disabled)

KB:

CV's have arrived at Kobe, but was I lucky to not be detected. I changed my projected route into port and avoided a cluster of enemy submarines cruising off the coast of Japan. I've been remiss in setting up my ASW covering the Home Islands.

The Enemy:

Lot's of movement and recon from the Allies lately. Noumea is actively being snooped by long range recon. I suspect Jocke is close to launching an amphibious operation. New Caledonia has only two Aviation Bn.'s. Yep, that's it.

Thoughts:

I fired up all the "True Blood" soundtracks tonight and spent a few hours doing a massive Japanese turn. I addressed my ASW shortcomings in Japan, resized KB's air units and disbanded the CV's in port to begin the refits. I started sending all unrestricted naval LBA to the Central Pacific. Fuel is prioritized for Truk, Rabaul and Kwajalein for combat operations. All large tankers are now running the Singapore to Home Islands route. All AA units are being re-deployed to cover prime aircraft factories in Japan, or sent to various theatres. All replacements have been turned off for non-AA units throughout the Empire. AA units have been left on to allow for radar upgrades only. Everywhere else, it's dig, dig and more dig.

If the Allies move while KB is out of commission, it's going to fall to the surface fleet and LBA to cover. I did everything possible this turn to set up a deployment plan and get things moving in the right direction. Finally!

A few more tunes, a drink and then off to read book four of "Game of Thrones" before bed.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 651
RE: Update - 4/25/2013 10:19:16 AM   
obvert

With his stack at Manila are you bombarding every day with your arty (only)? This could keep his units just slightly disrupted and add to the effects of air strikes. It looks a tough pad here since he still as supplies from the base. The constant bombardments will also blow through his supply quickly.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 652
RE: Update - 4/25/2013 2:07:16 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

[......... then off to read book four of "Game of Thrones" before bed.

You mean " A Feast For Crows"?

SACRILEGIUM!!!! Never call our beloved saga "Game of Thrones"!!!! Its true name is "A Song of Ice and Fire"! Those damned assholes of the HBO renamed it... hate that name! Also because in the books they call it GAME of THRONE, not throneS!

However it's the less good book of the series... the following is much much better...Martin himself said it took him almost 5 years to write it cause he couldn't solve a series of problems of the plot

The Winter is Coming...always

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 653
RE: Update - 4/25/2013 3:21:32 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

SACRILEGIUM!!!! Never call our beloved saga "Game of Thrones"!!!! Its true name is "A Song of Ice and Fire"! Those damned assholes of the HBO renamed it... hate that name! Also because in the books they call it GAME of THRONE, not throneS!

However it's the less good book of the series... the following is much much better...Martin himself said it took him almost 5 years to write it cause he couldn't solve a series of problems of the plot

Interesting. The copy I have and the ones I see online say 'Game of Thrones' for the first book.

Just looked and 'Wind of Winter' is estimated to take 3 years, and he started only last year! Arrrggg. He does have a lot completed that wasn't included in 'Dance with Dragons,' but I can't wait another 1.5-2 years for more! It is supposed to be very long, maybe 1,500 manuscript pages.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 654
RE: Update - 4/25/2013 3:54:24 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

Interesting. The copy I have and the ones I see online say 'Game of Thrones' for the first book.

Just looked and 'Wind of Winter' is estimated to take 3 years, and he started only last year! Arrrggg. He does have a lot completed that wasn't included in 'Dance with Dragons,' but I can't wait another 1.5-2 years for more! It is supposed to be very long, maybe 1,500 manuscript pages.

no, i was mistaken... sorry It is in the Italian version that they changed the title using the "singular" instead of the plural...

Yes, Martin's timings are a PITA...i started to read the first book back in 1998...and i've waited so long for every single book that i decided to re-read the past ones every time before i buyed the following... now i've read them all 5 times in italian and 1 in english

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 655
RE: Update - 4/25/2013 3:57:50 PM   
obvert

I'm behind, just starting my second read through. I used to do that with 'The Lord of the Rings' as a teenager. Each autumn I'd read it again. But this series is so much more epic.

I know the HBO is not nearly as good, but it's still fun to visualize it all, and i can watch it with the GF who won't read the books. Plus the ladies are HOT!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 656
RE: Update - 4/25/2013 5:08:44 PM   
Chickenboy

Agree on the book series and the television / cable series as well. The HBO series piqued my interest in reading the books, which I finished last summer.

Great read! But it makes commitment to LOTR like reading a pamphlet. We're talking 3500+ pages for the first five books alone. I find it hard to commit to reading a series that may go 7000 pages, even if it is enjoyable and well written.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 657
RE: Update - 4/25/2013 5:17:16 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I started reading the books for the first time just before the HBO series started. I like to stay ahead of the TV series for obvious reasons. I have to say, I think the whole production is pretty slick and think they did a great job of casting. I'm always disappointed when an episode ends and look forward to Sunday nights. And yes Erik, the women are hot. Brienne especially!

Another author I've always enjoyed was Guy Gavriel Kay. His books are not as epic in nature, but I always find his stories enjoyable.

I'm finally about to finish up the "Wheel of Time" saga and what a long haul that one has been. I definitely will not be reading all 14 books again . All I know is Martin better get snapping, he's no spring chicken and don't want him to pull a Jordan on us and pass away before his story is finished.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 658
RE: Update - 4/25/2013 5:21:40 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Still awaiting the next turn. I just noticed something when I was completing the turn. The Kawasaki Ha-60 engine doesn't complete R&D before the Ki-61-1a Tony. Is this new to DaBabes? I don't recall the engine not being available before the airframe in stock. I could (most likely) be wrong, but it seems strange this time around if true.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 659
RE: Update - 4/25/2013 5:27:20 PM   
witpqs

If you're looking for a good 5 book series, try our Arthur C. Clarke's Rama series. The first book is Rendezvous With Rama.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 660
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Update Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI