Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Some thoughts...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Some thoughts... Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Some thoughts... - 3/25/2013 9:29:24 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

I never have enough PPs because I am ALWAYS changing leaders. This is something that most players don't put enough effort into IMO.

+1

Have a look at some of the tanker captains. No wonder they get hit by subs! I just found one that had a 22 naval rating!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 601
RE: Some thoughts... - 3/25/2013 9:55:27 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

I never have enough PPs because I am ALWAYS changing leaders. This is something that most players don't put enough effort into IMO.

I'm constantly changing leaders. The number of poor commanders in charge of key military hardware is astonishing. Low skill and aggression ratings for air and naval assets generally concerns me the most.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 602
May 31/42 - 3/26/2013 6:35:57 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Another quiet turn. The only things of note were the KI-44-IIa entering production at 50/month. I will increase this to 100/month. The Std-C Cargo class transports are being converted to Std-CT Tankers. I have 17 of these at last count and they will be put immediately to use moving fuel to forward areas upon completion. Lastly, the Ha-43 engine advanced R&D to 7/45.

Oh, I lost a four kill fighter pilot to Ops. The Japanese planes are brutal, I can't even rebase a unit without an aircraft damaged/destroyed and a pilot wounded/killed. I've always had problems with high Ops losses despite moving in good weather, not too far and to decent sized airbases. Of course, advanced weather is playing havoc during normal operations which, in my opinion, favours the Allies whose aircraft are more durable. Japanese planes might as well be made out of balsa wood.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 3/26/2013 6:36:34 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 603
RE: May 31/42 - 3/26/2013 12:49:04 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Oh, I lost a four kill fighter pilot to Ops. The Japanese planes are brutal, I can't even rebase a unit without an aircraft damaged/destroyed and a pilot wounded/killed. I've always had problems with high Ops losses despite moving in good weather, not too far and to decent sized airbases. Of course, advanced weather is playing havoc during normal operations which, in my opinion, favours the Allies whose aircraft are more durable. Japanese planes might as well be made out of balsa wood.

I've been reading about the Solomons campaign, (Islands of Destiny by John Prados), and the ops loss numbers were staggering for the Japanese there. After the first few months they were losing at least 2/3 to ops against 1/3 lost in combat. They struggled with stuff like volcanic ash at Rabaul, the high humidity and heat, the major distances flown on missions and the shortage of good mechanics. The planes themselves were of course more lightly built than the Allied planes and they had a shortage of spare parts. Japanese pilots were quoted as being amazed at how much damage a Wildcat could take and still keep fighting to make it home.

On top of that, the Japanese rebased anything long distance by ship. It would almost be more fun if both sides had to do more of this, as ops would really slow and you'd have to really consider the missions you would fly in order to keep planes in working order. If both sides had more constraints like this it would be really interesting and place even more emphasis on strategic choices and pre-planning I feel.

In 4/44 I have no pilots with more than 10 kills! Most of my 'expert' pilots are 80 exp with 5-8 kills but I can't get anyone to last long enough to get past 10. Luckily I have a good number in KB groups still that are in this 80 exp category. Probably half of each group, and the rest in the 65-79 exp category.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 604
June 1-7/42 - 4/2/2013 2:11:51 AM   
SqzMyLemon

The June 8th turn is away and I thought I'd better provide a brief update of what's happening in the Gilbert Islands.

The first naval bombardment against Makin occurred on June 4th. No enemy mines were encountered and the bombarding ships performed their mission flawlessly after stationing at Jaluit. A second bombardment was conducted on the 8th. Kwajalein is the base of operations and is only a level three port at the moment. To facilitate rearming of the BB's I've moved two naval HQ's and four large AKE's to the base. I have no problem replenishing 14" shells. This means with two BB's I can bombard Makin every 4-5 days. Two more BB's will reach the theatre soon and this will allow bombardments against Makin at least every three days . I must keep Kwajalein well supplied and enough fuel on hand to sustain these operations.

So far I've detected two enemy LCU's, the 7th Marine and 64th Coastal AA Rgt.'s. I expect there to be a base force, CD and armoured units as well. I'm bombarding at 15k to avoid any coastal guns. The last thing I want is to get dinged up and cause operational delays. I don't know if Jocke anticipated how effective I can be at conducting sustained naval bombardments, but the Marines are in for a pounding. The port (level 0) is 30% damaged, so I'm hoping further bombardments will prevent fort construction indefinitely.

A Japanese AMC encountered five Allied APD's performing a fast transport supply mission to the island, but combat was avoided during the phase. The enemy force was heading east from Makin, so I can only assume the first supply run was a success. This was an important piece of intelligence. I'm moving some CVL's and surface forces to patrol east of Makin to interdict any future attempts. If Jocke wants to keep this foothold in the Gilbert Islands he's going to have to run the gauntlet. This may draw out stronger enemy naval forces and if so, KB is based just two days away at Ponape and remains undetected so far.

I'm prepping the 5th Division and other support units for a counter invasion. The next step is to expand Tabiteuea and use this as my primary base for air operations against Makin with JAAF bombers. This invasion was just what I need to address weakness in the Gilbert and Marshall Island chains. However, I'm very conscious this could be a diversion and will make appropriate preparations to be able to respond to another Allied move wherever that may be.

Here are AAR's for the two naval bombardments conducted so far:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Naval bombardment of Makin at 136,125

Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro
BB Fuso
CL Abukuma
CL Kinu

Allied ground losses:
180 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 23 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 16 (2 destroyed, 14 disabled)
Vehicles lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Port hits 4
Port supply hits 1

BB Yamashiro firing at 7th Marine Regiment
F1M2 Pete acting as spotter for BB Fuso
BB Fuso firing at 64th Coast AA Regiment
CL Abukuma firing at Makin
CL Kinu firing at 7th Marine Regiment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Naval bombardment of Makin at 136,125

Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro
BB Fuso
CL Abukuma
CL Kinu

Allied ground losses:
127 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 10 (1 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Port hits 8
Port supply hits 2

BB Yamashiro firing at 7th Marine Regiment
F1M2 Pete acting as spotter for BB Fuso
BB Fuso firing at Makin
CL Abukuma firing at Makin
CL Kinu firing at Makin

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/2/2013 5:49:25 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 605
Completely off-topic - 4/2/2013 5:45:36 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Just had a little altercation with I'm assuming a neighbour this evening and have to admit I'm a little wired after the fact so need to vent. Off and on today there's been a guy sitting in his car parked in front of our house blaring his stereo to the point all I can hear and feel is his bass, and his windows are rolled up no less! I finally got fed up and went out around 21:00 to ask him politely to turn it down. I think he thinks I'm the neighbour that has called and complained about their dog barking all hours of the night, I'm not, but tell him that.

Anyway, as I approached the car he got out and told me not to say a word, that he's already heard about me and if I want to make something of it he'll essentially kick the pooh out of me. Well, needless to say I was a little shocked at his reaction. I've never seen him before and I thought it was the kid across the street, turns out it's some late 40's early 50's guy who likes to sit in his car in the dark, smoke and play his music loud. He went into the troublesome neighbour's house after so I can only assume he's now living there or something.

I just asked him to please turn his music down and backed away from him and went back inside my house. I swear if I'd said the wrong word he'd have started a physical fight. Anyway, what the hell is wrong with people? I believe these people are renters and just have no respect for the neighbours. Their dog is a constant problem and apparently we now have to put up with this jerk and his music. He was so angry. I'm an average guy, not afraid to defend myself if needed, but I don't need this kind of crap in my life right now. I thought it would be enough to ask him just to turn it down. Next time it will simply be a call to the local police and hopefully they can catch him in the act and deal with it.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 606
RE: Completely off-topic - 4/2/2013 12:36:38 PM   
obvert

Although I'm never one to back down from telling people I think they're out of line and should consider those around them, this one sounds like something to let the professionals handle. Obviously he's looking for conflict. Hard when that kind of stuff impacts your home situation.

Do you have good relations with your other neighbors? Seems like some teamwork might help here.

Sorry you have to deal with that. I've only had a few minor annoyances lately, like a hip-hop housewarming party next door that went all day one Sunday. But they're nice people so I cut them some slack. Everyone has to throw a party once in a while.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 607
RE: Completely off-topic - 4/2/2013 1:16:41 PM   
catwhoorg

You tried a direct friendly approach.

Next time call the cops and be done with it.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 608
RE: Completely off-topic - 4/2/2013 3:31:47 PM   
witpqs

SqzMyLemon,

Don't call next time - call now! Tell them what happened, and specifically mention that another neighbor has called about their dog and he thought that was you. Remember, he thought you already called the police and he still threatened you.

You know there is (at least) one neighbor on record with the police. Your call will make it two (at least). Second, grab a (new or empty) notebook and start a log with dates and times.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 609
RE: Completely off-topic - 4/2/2013 3:50:45 PM   
veji1

Yep, call now and report the threats. At least it will be on record for next time when there is a problem.

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 610
RE: Completely off-topic - 4/2/2013 4:31:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

SqzMyLemon,

Don't call next time - call now! Tell them what happened, and specifically mention that another neighbor has called about their dog and he thought that was you. Remember, he thought you already called the police and he still threatened you.

You know there is (at least) one neighbor on record with the police. Your call will make it two (at least). Second, grab a (new or empty) notebook and start a log with dates and times.

I concur with my Argletonian colleague on this matter.

Being inconsiderate (blaring stereo) is one thing. Being brusque or rude (telling you to **** off) is another. When physical violence is threatened, that's another threshhold crossed. Time for the police to be involved.

Can you get a restraining order on the basis of his verbal threats?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 611
RE: Completely off-topic - 4/2/2013 4:35:46 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Thanks Gents. I'll document any further issues and let the authorities handle things from here on out . I'll discuss this guy's reaction with our neighbours to let them know he's looking for trouble and to be wary of any discourse with him.

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 612
China - 4/2/2013 4:44:16 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Here's the situation in Northern China. It appears the Chinese are indeed withdrawing from Sian, whether a rearguard will be left behind is the question. I've invested Kungchang with a division and trying to clear the mountain hex S.E. of the base to open the main road. I'm not attempting to trap the enemy force at Sian, but I do have a division in each of the hexes across the river to try and hold my position. Jocke continues to ignore stacking limits apparently with most non-base hexes being overstacked. The priority remains to seize the fuel/oil centres before resuming the offensive further into Central China.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 613
RE: China - 4/2/2013 4:52:44 PM   
Cpt Sherwood

Jocke does seem to have problems in China. I wonder what he is doing wrong?

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 614
RE: China - 4/2/2013 4:55:45 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Here's Southern China.

I'm flanking Kweiyang to the west with the 21st IMB and 110th Division to block the road to Kunming. Troops are investing Tuyun, but I want to roll around it and threaten Kweiyang directly. Kweiyang is overstacked and I'll begin bombing raids to target the defenders while trashing the airbase.

Changteh is contested with a division, but I'll not try to take this base directly. The same goes for Chihkiang. I will address these bases once Kweiyang falls and attempt to encircle the defenders.

Once a few more enemy supply producing bases are taken, I will eliminate the two encircled pockets which will free up four divisions for frontline duty and provide the enemy with more mouths to feed after respawning.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/2/2013 4:56:20 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 615
The Gilbert Islands - 4/2/2013 5:08:28 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Here's the defenders at Makin. I'll be building up Tarawa and Tabiteuea for JAAF air operations against the base. I want the naval torpedo bombers focused on an anti-shipping role rather than suffer daily losses from enemy FLAK. Jaluit works nicely as the starting point for bombardment runs against Makin. The ships almost make Kwajalein on the return journey. I'll patrol aggressively to give early warning of any Allied naval strength committed to resupply or further landings in the theatre.

This may be a perfect opportunity to force Jocke to come to me and put assets at risk rather than me having to track him down. However, I've said it before, but I think this is meant to draw me away from something else. Time will tell...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 616
RE: Completely off-topic - 4/2/2013 5:19:32 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

SqzMyLemon,

I concur with my Argletonian colleague on this matter.

Being inconsiderate (blaring stereo) is one thing. Being brusque or rude (telling you to **** off) is another. When physical violence is threatened, that's another threshhold crossed. Time for the police to be involved.

Can you get a restraining order on the basis of his verbal threats?

I called the police last night to ask for advice. They say to avoid confronting him again, if the problem persists to just call them instead. We do have a noise bylaw here, but the problem is the police need to hear the disturbance before they can act. I can call the next time it happens and with luck they'll be able to do something.

As to the threat of violence, I don't know. I mentioned it during the conversation but the officier didn't really comment. One interesting tidbit is the neighbours who called about the dog, and we are good friends, his Son just became a police officer. Not that he can do anything personally, but it's nice knowing he could be involved at some point.

It's just unfortunate that this moron thinks I'm the one who's complained previously, but what can you do. It looks like I took one for the team.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 617
June 10-11/42 - 4/8/2013 3:18:41 AM   
SqzMyLemon

We've reached June 12th and a couple of things of note.

Australia:

Darwin fell easily to the 56th Division after the first deliberate attack as the defenders were out of supply. AAR follows:

Ground combat at Darwin (76,124)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 13215 troops, 108 guns, 66 vehicles, Assault Value = 486

Defending force 5181 troops, 32 guns, 30 vehicles, Assault Value = 56

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 418

Allied adjusted defense: 28

Japanese assault odds: 14 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Darwin !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
80 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2157 casualties reported
Squads: 67 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 187 destroyed, 27 disabled
Engineers: 15 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 30 (29 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 18 (14 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Units retreated 6
Units destroyed 2

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
56th Division

Defending units:
2/4 MG Battalion
2/2nd Ind Coy
Emery Point Fortress
19th Australian Battalion
Northern Territory
2nd RAN Base Force
2/1 NAOU Det.
Darwin RAAF Base Force

The Gilbert Islands:

Naval Bombardments are conducted against against Makin every two to three days at the current pace of operations. Four BB's operate in teams of two with one TF hitting the base while the other replenishes. On the 11th, enemy APD's were spotted well east of Makin and it's assumed they are a resupply TF for Makin. I've got a small SCTF in position to try and engage the APD's. No sign of other enemy naval forces, but I can only hope Makin will draw them out like moths to a flame.

Here's a screenshot showing the situation:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/8/2013 3:21:34 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 618
Me and my big mouth - 4/10/2013 10:37:06 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Well, I didn't actually send the next turn as originally thought on Sunday and Jocke sent an e-mail enquiring about the whereabouts of the next turn. I mentioned I thought I was waiting on him. Jocke sent a turn that we both thought maybe I didn't get and I of course had to mention his APD force being sighted and asked if he'd withdrawn them to avoid a hot reception after receiving the turn. Well, the turn he sent was the one we'd already run so I had to resend the proper turn (which I thought I'd already sent but didn't) and of course this allowed him to withdraw his APD's out of danger. I don't blame him, but this is a good example for not giving away OpSec information to your opponent until after the fact.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 619
June 15/42 - 4/13/2013 11:55:32 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Time for an update.

The Gilbert Islands:

Naval bombardments are progressing regularly against Makin. Enemy formations accounted for so far are 1st Marine Def. Bn., 7th Marine Rgt. and the 64th Coast AA Rgt. Each bombardment includes two BB's with one TF reinforced with two CL's. Dates and results follows:

June 4th - 0(9) infantry, 1(23) non-combat, 1(1) engineer, 2(14) guns and 1(8) AFV's.
June 7th - 1(5) infantry, 3(13) non-combat, 0(1) engineer, 1(9) guns and 0(0) AFV's.
June 10th - 0(0) infantry, 2(8) non-combat, 0(1) engineer, 2(4) guns and 0(0) AFV's.
June 11th - 0(0) infantry, 2(7) non-combat, 0(0) engineer, 2(2) guns and 1(1) AFV's.
June 13th - 2(15) infantry, 1(25) non-combat, 0(1) engineer, 2(7) guns and 1(1) AFV's.
June 15th - 0(2) infantry, 1(28) non-combat, 0(0) engineer, 1(12) guns and 1(2) AFV's.

Damage to the port 0(0) is a cumulative 76%, which should be preventing fort construction.

The Philippines:

Air attack against Manila revealed no FLAK today! I hope this means the supply threshold has finally been breached and contribute to reducing this Allied bastion quickly. I've brought in seven divisions and a large concentration of artillery. The initial large scale bombardments were painful, but today was the first time Allied losses were greater. Only 1/3 of my forces are prepped for Manila, the rest need to prepare for other objectives.

China:

The road to Kungchang is open and two divisions, 37th and 41st, are tasked with capturing the base. Bombers wil begin ground attacks once Sian falls.

A deliberate attack against Sian on the 13th reduced the forts to level three, but despite 3:1 odds the defenders held. Another deliberate attack ordered for the 16th should take the base. Here's the AAR for the previous assault:

Ground combat at Sian (83,41)

Attacking force 44715 troops, 388 guns, 315 vehicles, Assault Value = 1306

Defending force 33281 troops, 189 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 666

Japanese adjusted assault: 1874

Allied adjusted defense: 484

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1637 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 151 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 12 (1 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2954 casualties reported
Squads: 15 destroyed, 299 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 83 disabled
Engineers: 12 destroyed, 24 disabled
Guns lost 13 (1 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade
32nd Division
15th Division
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
59th Division
2nd Tank Regiment
51st Const Co
2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
3rd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
52nd Const Co
12th Army
13th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
90th Chinese Corps
47th Chinese Corps
68th Chinese Corps
7th Construction Regiment
15th Chinese Base Force
22nd Group Army
Jingcha War Area
14th Group Army
3rd Group Army
41st AA Regiment
4th Chinese Base Force
37th Group Army
Red Chinese Army
49th AA Regiment

Burma:

The only remaining Allied bases in Burma are Akyab and Kalemyo. This theatre will be heating up in the next few months as I move additional forces in.

Naval Ops:

An Allied submarine hit a mine on the 14th and was confirmed sunk during the replay on the 15th.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 620
R&D Engine info - 4/14/2013 6:13:38 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Here's an update on my engine R&D.

Ha-42 arrival date 10/45, 62% research complete and production at 10/month
Ha-43 arrival date 7/45, 34% research complete and production at 142/month
Ha-44 arrival date 5/43, 94% research complete and production at 17/month
Ha-45 arrival date 6/43, 0% (just advanced) research complete and production at 260/month
Ha-60 (Kawasaki) arrival date 1/43, 53% research complete and production at 30/month
Ha-60 (Aichi Ha-60) arrival date 9/42, 92% research complete and production at 50/month
NE Turbojet arrival date 1/46, 96% research complete and production at 80/month

As you can see, I'm investing heavily in the Ha-43 and Ha-45 for mid/late fighters. Time will tell whether the investment will be worth it, but I won't know for years.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 621
June 16/42 - Sian captured - 4/14/2013 7:23:07 PM   
SqzMyLemon

China:

Sian fell to deliberate attack today as anticipated. Industry is lightly damaged with the oil/refineries at 16(4), HI 8(2), LI 47(13) and resources 125(35). AAR follows:

Ground combat at Sian (83,41)

Attacking force 43792 troops, 388 guns, 315 vehicles, Assault Value = 1203

Defending force 29365 troops, 187 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 366

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 2143

Allied adjusted defense: 90

Japanese assault odds: 23 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Sian !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1030 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 102 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
9699 casualties reported
Squads: 312 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 382 destroyed, 58 disabled
Engineers: 81 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 89 (89 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 12

Assaulting units:
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
59th Division
32nd Division
15th Division
2nd Tank Regiment
12th Army
3rd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
51st Const Co
52nd Const Co
2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
13th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
68th Chinese Corps
47th Chinese Corps
90th Chinese Corps
22nd Group Army
Jingcha War Area
14th Group Army
15th Chinese Base Force
37th Group Army
41st AA Regiment
Red Chinese Army
3rd Group Army
49th AA Regiment

Next objective is Kungchang. Bombing has begun and the first assault will go ahead in roughly five days.

The Philippines:

The bombardment today didn't go well. I wonder when I should think about launching the first ground assault. AAR follows:

Ground combat at Manila (79,77)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 98424 troops, 1227 guns, 538 vehicles, Assault Value = 3771

Defending force 70883 troops, 778 guns, 807 vehicles, Assault Value = 2353

Japanese ground losses:
186 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 6 (1 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
91 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 5 (2 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Assaulting units:
48th Division
11th Garrison Unit
3rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
16th Division
Imperial Guards Division
4th Division
64th Infantry Group
21st Ind. Engineer Regiment
5th Division
38th Division
18th Division
11th Tank Regiment
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
5th RF Gun Battalion
4th RF Gun Battalion
14th Army
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd RF Gun Battalion
6th RF Gun Battalion
7th RF Gun Battalion
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
3rd RF Gun Battalion
3rd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
57th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
91st PA Infantry Division
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
31st Infantry Regiment
41st PA Infantry Division
194th Tank Battalion
4th Marine Regiment
31st PA Infantry Division
51st PA Infantry Division
11th PA Infantry Division
192nd Tank Battalion
14th PS Engineer Regiment
45th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
71st PA Infantry Division
1st PA Infantry Division
21st PA Infantry Division
3rd/12th PA Inf Battalion
2nd PA Constabulary Division
1st USMC AA Battalion
301st Construction Battalion
86th PS Coastal Artillery Battalion
200th & 515th Coast AA Regiment
Provisional GMC Grp
Clark Field USAAF Base Force
I Philippine Corps
II Philippine Corps
803rd Engineer Aviation Battalion
USAFFE
Cavite USN Base Force
201st PA Construction Battalion
Bataan USN Base Force
Asiatic Fleet
Manila USAAF Base Force
202nd PA Construction Battalion
88th PS Field Artillery Regiment
301st PA Field Artillery Regiment

The Gilbert Islands:

Another bombardment result:

June 16th - 1(14) infantry, 5(35) non-combat, 0(1) engineer, 3(6) guns, AFV's 1(7).

Sub Ops:

SS Triton near Fusan, in deep Ocean, takes two direct and one near miss DC hits. SC Ch 29 has some teeth.

Thoughts:

Large tanker TF's are leaving Singapore regularly now that I've addressed my immediate fuel shortages in the Pacific. I'll begin exporting fuel from Saigon to see if it will draw from Singapore or Rangoon. It's consistently been at around 280-300k fuel most of the game.

A problem has occurred at Fusan, it's been over a week now since any large dumping of resources to the base for export. It seems like the routine has just stopped shipping extra resources. I haven't changed anything that would have upset the process and prior to the last week. I was getting an influx every 5-6 days, but the stockpile at the base since the 7th has been: 35466, 1000, 800, 600, 400, 200, 0, 400, 200 and 400. Not sure what happened, but Fusan is next to useless at the moment in terms of exporting resources.

The first Sentai's are upgrading to the Ki-44 IIa Tojo. There has been ZERO air combat for months. No sign of Allied bombers or fighters. Bases in India are expanding though to support bomber operations against Burma. Allied bases at Howrah and Calcutta are expanding rapidly.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 622
June 20/42 - Oucho at Manila - 4/17/2013 9:59:34 PM   
SqzMyLemon

The Philippines:

Being the impatient world conqueror that I am, I decided to launch a deliberate attack against Manila. Odds were 1:2 and 11k Japanese casualties later the fort level was reduced to 3. I suffered a few destroyed squads, but 1000 were disabled. Overall, much as expected, but actual losses of squads, guns and AFV's were almost equal to Allied losses which is encouraging. I'm further encouraged by a (-) supply modifier for the defenders. I'll continue to pound away with artillery and bombers while ground forces recover.

Meanwhile, many of the divisions that are being used at Manila are prepping for other objectives, most notably those destined for the Makin invasion.

China:

Not much happening until my forces are in position for the next offensives. Kungchang is receiving daily air bombings to soften up the defenders prior to the first assault in two days.

I'm attempting a weak encirclement of the troops retreating/withdrawing from Sian and area. I have occupied all the hexes between the enemy forces and freedom, but it won't take much for the Chinese to open a hex side or two and escape.

Lots of maneuvering around Tuyun as troops are positioned to exploit an opening.

Thoughts:

Game's pretty boring right now, but that's on me. I just plod along until Manila is captured which will free up seven divisions for other duties. In the meantime, I dig, dig and dig some more. I also move fuel/oil now much more efficiently and should start to see large increases in the Home Islands. I'm producing about 70's Tojo's a month right now and in the process of upgrading various Sentai's. There's been no air combat for months, so at least when the action heats up again, I won't be in Oscar's.

I think there's a lot of potential for action in the Central Pacific around Canton Island. I'm getting reports of small enemy SCTF's operating around Canton and if I make a move on capturing the base it could draw Jocke's attention.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 623
Thoughts... - 4/18/2013 9:20:59 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Burma:

I really dislike the Burma theatre and don't know how best to deal with it. Right now the plan is to push Allied units completely out of Burma and assess the success of a landing in India to push the Allied start line back. I realize it's late, but I can't help thinking Burma has become a crucial theatre in the game for Japan, completely out of proportion to what it was in RL.

I'll be defending against a coastal invasion while trying to maintain a strong enough MLR in Burma proper to make any advance slow and costly for the Allies. Current strength is three divisions.

China:

China is going well, but the lustre has worn off. Initially, I was thinking of eliminating the Chinese from the Allied OOB, but I have since become fatigued with China. Success here really doesn't improve my position anywhere else on the map unless I make a play for India, and it's far too late for the kind of operation that would make a strategic impact.

Since Sian has fallen the focus remains on the fuel/oil at Lanchow. Kungchang is the last base to deal with before I can move on Lanchow. So far, supply is not reaching Sian in any appreciable amount. In fact, China as a whole is rather thin on supply as I've stopped importing any from the Home Islands. I think this is where I would expand LI in a future game to make China self-sustaining.

I've already withdrawn all 5th Air Division Sentai's to the Philippines and 3rd Air Division Sentai's are beginning to deploy back to Burma. Air power in China will be further reduced over the coming month. Support units are already being re-deployed to the Pacific.

Sumatra:

I'm building up coastal defences, but have no troops with which to garrison them as yet.

Java:

I'm building up coastal defences, but have no troops with which to garrison them as yet.

Australia:

I'll continue this later, the internet connection has become super slow and trying to complete this post is becoming painful.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 624
Interesting discussion... - 4/19/2013 8:11:49 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I'm posting here because I don't want to give anything away to Jocke in our PBEM. I'm finding the discussion in Canoerebel's AAR extremely enlightening and felt the need to post my thoughts here in my own AAR. I won't discuss anything further about CR's AAR to not compromise anything.

For those of you who have followed my previous AAR and this one, it's clear I struggle with a certain lack of aggressiveness. I always feel I should be doing more, pushing deeper and generally taking the fight to the Allied player. Every time I have this feeling, I then scramble to come up with any number of grandiose operations to increase the enjoyment level for readers and somehow hand my opponent a strategic defeat, yet do nothing most times. The more I play, the more I realize it's just not how I operate, or how Japan's war should be directed in my opinion.

A lot of Allied players seem to think that a Japanese player that doesn't launch some massive operation in an attempt to gain auto-victory, or establish a much larger perimeter than Japan did historically, somehow bad players or are playing Japan poorly. I've never thought grabbing territory other than oil/fuel centres means anything to Japan in the long term. There's the argument that taking more territory will slow the Allied advance, and my counter to that is only if the Allied player wishes to advance that particular route. Any number of winning strategies are available to an Allied player and Japan simply can't defend against them all, least of all by taking more territory. I do care about finding and destroying Allied units and if he comes to me in mid-42 all the better. I'd gladly spend the next 6 months building up my defences while reacting to and defeating early invasions.

I see Jocke's occupation of Makin Island an opportunity to destroy 5 Allied LCU's, nothing more, nothing less. Is it slowing me down on my expansion? No, because I'm not expanding anymore. My goal is to earn VP's that can't be taken away from me, and those include destroyed enemy squads and devices. Why do I care about taking any base and the associated VP's when I know I can never hold it the entire length of the game. Eventually, almost all my VP's left at game's end will be from destroyed enemy units, not from bases held.

I believe Japan's best defence is a small perimeter and a flexible counterstrike force. Make the Allies pay heavily to advance against a strong interlocked defence, not a series of isolated, guano covered atoll's. I kind of laugh at comments about how Japan should be doing this or that to push the Allies, assuming the Allied player will co-operate completely. The Allies don't have to fight for anything on the map if they don't want to, and often don't. It seems the onus is on Japan to make the game entertaining in 42/43, yet it's often the worst thing to do in terms of sustainability.

My comments are all based on Scenario 1 of course, where I personally feel Japan doesn't have the ability to exploit anything much bigger than a historical perimeter, unless a continental strategy against China and India is undertaken. My thoughts aren't complete here, but I've been thinking of CR's AAR and the comments being made there lately and wanted to blurt out a few thoughts. I just find it very interesting the different opinions being expressed and how some think that having Japan reacting to and defeating a series of early Allied invasions somehow hurts Japan's position overall. I don't believe it does if massive expansion isn't the Japanese players strategy to begin with, but destroying Allied units is. It seems to me that the Allied player would then be dancing to the Japanese player's tune rather than otherwise, but that's almost never understood or acknowledged by a majority of Allied players.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/19/2013 8:26:24 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 625
RE: Interesting discussion... - 4/19/2013 8:21:17 PM   
Chickenboy

Very true, SqzMyLemon. I agree almost completely with your POV.

I'm sending you a PM about some specifics too.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 4/19/2013 8:23:30 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 626
RE: Interesting discussion... - 4/19/2013 9:12:03 PM   
witpqs

It's a balancing act between:

- How you want to play the game (some strive for historical orientation, some for all-bets-are-off anything goes, etc. etc.);
- Effort to/toward winning (the competitive aspect);
and
- Keeping it interesting for both parties.

You seem to understand that. Granted one could play in a way that is thoroughly boring for their opponent, but I think it's mostly up to each player to find what interest oneself in a given match. If he thinks you are not stressing him enough, then he can make up for that by pressing his offensive harder, earlier, broader, deeper, and on and on.

Put on your best James Cagney impression and yell out to him "COME AND GET ME, COPPER!!"

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 627
RE: Interesting discussion... - 4/19/2013 9:28:13 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

It's a balancing act between:

- How you want to play the game (some strive for historical orientation, some for all-bets-are-off anything goes, etc. etc.);
- Effort to/toward winning (the competitive aspect);
and
- Keeping it interesting for both parties.

You seem to understand that. Granted one could play in a way that is thoroughly boring for their opponent, but I think it's mostly up to each player to find what interest oneself in a given match. If he thinks you are not stressing him enough, then he can make up for that by pressing his offensive harder, earlier, broader, deeper, and on and on.

Put on your best James Cagney impression and yell out to him "COME AND GET ME, COPPER!!"

I completely agree. Love the Cagney quote as well. I never want my game to be boring, but in this case I'm ok with a slower pace as it fits my strategy this time around. You know in my last game it was a constant struggle to deal with a Sir Robin and the sense I was playing poorly. I've since understood that, in my opinion, a Scenario 1 game needs to be played differently than a Scenario 2 game where larger invasions are encouraged and possibly successful because of an enhanced OOB for Japan. I believe destroying Allied units for VP's is the way to go this time rather than illusory territorial gains. I'm sticking to the idea that I will go where I know there are Allied units to destroy, and if my lack of aggression means I encourage them to hit me sooner, all the better.

I'm also glad you didn't take my post in a JFB vs. AFB context. It's not my intention to start a flame war, but rather just remind some people that there are different ways to play the game. A flashy Japan isn't necessarily a good thing in terms of supplying a long term, competitive and entertaining game.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 628
Brief update - 4/19/2013 10:22:03 PM   
SqzMyLemon

June 22/42:

China:

The deliberate assault against Kungchang achieved 3:1 odds but failed to capture the base. Forts are reduced to level one and as soon as supply has accumulated again another assault will be launched. I believe the base will fall on the second attack.

Near Sian, I'm reassessing the potential encirclement of 20+ Chinese LCU's. I have two additional divisions moving up and will attempt to close off hex sides to prevent a Chinese withdrawal. I'll need to push towards Central China as well in order to prevent hex side control switches allowing escape.

Near Tuyun, Chinese forces are conveniently withdrawing and allowing me to press forward with no risk of enemy infiltration to my supply LOC. Jocke has over stacked Tuyun so I will attempt to bypass it and march directly for Kweiyang.

Production:

The NE Turbojet has advanced to 12/45. 17 transports have just finished converting to 2850 capacity tankers. I love these small tankers for moving fuel around in submarine infested waters. They sail immediately for Balikpapan. Another Sentai has upgraded to the Tojo IIa, only four aircraft granted, but you have to start somewhere!

Thoughts:

I'm withdrawing the 5th Division from Luzon and will start re-deployment to Kwajalein for the Makin invasion, it's now 40% prepped. I'm also sending a combat engineer unit, an anti-tank RF unit or two and some artillery. I may over stack briefly, but I want to land in sufficient strength. I'm anticipating my losses will quickly keep me under the limit.

Naval bombardments have to be taking their toll on the defenders and if I'm lucky, the resistance may not be as heavy as originally anticipated. I'd like to have Makin dealt with by mid-July.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/19/2013 10:23:36 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 629
Update - 4/21/2013 2:35:47 AM   
SqzMyLemon

June 25/42:

China:

Kungchang falls after a second deliberate attack. The enemy forces retreat towards Lanchow. AAR follows:

Ground combat at Kungchang (81,36)

Attacking force 22299 troops, 200 guns, 69 vehicles, Assault Value = 767

Defending force 17829 troops, 61 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 345

Japanese adjusted assault: 561

Allied adjusted defense: 115

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Kungchang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker: fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
459 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 42 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Allied ground losses:
3884 casualties reported
Squads: 171 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 276 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 38 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 14 (14 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 3

Assaulting units:
37th Division
69th Division
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
36th Chinese Corps
75th Chinese Corps
8th War Area

On to Lanchow...

The Philippines:

The latest artillery bombardment against Manila is much more effective then previous ones, especially since the deliberate assault on June 20th. This could be the beginning of the end for the defenders. AAR follows:

Ground combat at Manila (79,77)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 92925 troops, 1222 guns, 520 vehicles, Assault Value = 3259

Defending force 69188 troops, 772 guns, 797 vehicles, Assault Value = 2200

Japanese ground losses:
185 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 21 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
269 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 21 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

The Gilbert Islands:

The latest bombardment results against Makin:

June 18th - 2(10) infantry, 1(22) non-combat, 0(2) engineer, 0(2) guns, 2(8) AFV's
June 19th - 1(1) infantry, 5(16) non-combat, 0(0) engineer, 0(0) guns, 1(6) AFV's
June 21st - 0(5) infantry, 0(12) non-combat, 0(1) engineer, 1(5) guns, 0(0) AFV's
June 22nd - 1(2) infantry, 5(31) non-combat, 1(2) engineer, 1(3) guns, 1(18) AFV's
June 24th - 0(8) infantry, 2(23) non-combat, 0(0) engineer, 0(0) guns, 1(8) AFV's
June 25th - 0(8) infantry, 3(13) non-combat, 0(1) engineer, 1(3) guns, 1(3) AFV's

Another enemy unit identified at Makin is the 119th USAAF BF.

Production:

The Ha-44 engine advanced to 4/43.

Thoughts:

With June/July upgrades due for my CV's, I've made the decision to send them back to Japan for refit and not be available for the Makin operation. I will rely on Hiyo, Junyo, Shoho, Ryujo and Zuiho to provide support. Naval and Army LBA can further support the operation from Maloelap, Tarawa and Tabiteuea.

So far, no further attempts to resupply Makin by the enemy. My hunch is that another amphibious operation against a different target is being planned and timed to coincide with any counter invasion of the island on my part.

In other news, the withdrawal of air units from China is in full swing. I will spend some PP's to upgrade single engine bomber units which will compensate for the reduction in numbers somewhat. The focus of the JAAF will shift to Burma and begin operations against Commonwealth forces in earnest.

Here's a screenshot of China showing the potential encirclement of 25 Chinese LCU's around Ankang. As stated previously, my cordon is extremely weak and it shouldn't take much effort on the part of the Chinese to open a route to freedom. I'm doing what I can to send in reinforcement and prevent a few enemy units from escaping. We'll see how that goes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 4/21/2013 2:38:38 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Some thoughts... Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI