Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: pre-April 15/42 Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: pre-April 15/42 Update Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: pre-April 15/42 Update - 2/6/2013 10:25:46 PM   
obvert

Yep. Reset of existing movement to zero sucks and should be a bug whether it's considered one or not. I know you both brought this up before.

As for your oilers and the low fuel ships, I've had this happen and had to do it the old fashioned way. Make sure they got to the same hex at the end of the day. I just set the ships to the destination with no retreat allowed and also changed the hem base to the closest possible. If the ships are truly out they should only move one hex so you can get there that way.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 481
RE: pre-April 15/42 Update - 2/9/2013 6:20:01 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

I just set the ships to the destination with no retreat allowed and also changed the home base to the closest possible. If the ships are truly out they should only move one hex so you can get there that way.

Thanks Erik, that worked like a charm. I was able to get them to meet up and stay in the hex to allow refueling. Strange that setting patrol points with a delay does't work the same way. Regardless, ships are fueled now and I can get on with things again.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 482
Southern China Update - 2/9/2013 6:30:53 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Here's a screen showing the situation around Hengyang.

I'm not bombing the enemy near Hengyang to at least allow Jocke the chance to move it. It is running out of options. If the Chinese attack though, they will easily defeat the lone Infantry and Artillery Rgt.'s I currently have in the hex. If not, the enemy force can't move east or west because I've closed both hex sides.

The Chinese supply situation can't be good after losing a number of production centres lately. I'm trying to keep the pressure on. Liuchow, here I come.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 2/9/2013 6:31:10 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 483
RE: Southern China Update - 2/10/2013 11:14:40 AM   
obvert

About the encirclement. I would let him move where he's trying to go, as long as you can get there first. That will mean you just move right on in behind him and the encirclement is complete, as he only had the side he came in on open. No need then to waste moves with that unit going off road into the forest to the South.

I would move your unit on the road in there, unless the others are one turn away. Maybe an arty bombardment against the 9 units would throw them into combat mode and slow them since you've agreed to not aerial bomb.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 484
RE: Southern China Update - 2/11/2013 5:37:21 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

About the encirclement. I would let him move where he's trying to go, as long as you can get there first. That will mean you just move right on in behind him and the encirclement is complete, as he only had the side he came in on open. No need then to waste moves with that unit going off road into the forest to the South.

I would move your unit on the road in there, unless the others are one turn away. Maybe an arty bombardment against the 9 units would throw them into combat mode and slow them since you've agreed to not aerial bomb.

This screenshot was taken the turn I closed the west hex side. Things have now changed. The nine units are now moving N.W. and the Chinese attempted to reinforce their position at 2 with another corps from Chihkiang. I own the hex, and only the N.W. hex side is Chinese controlled after they made an earlier river crossing when I only had a Tank Rgt. in position. I've since reinforced with three divisions and this increased the 1/3 requirement for AV to cross a river without having to make a shock attack. When the reinforcing corps arrived, the resulting shock attack trashed the unit causing almost 300 destoyed squads.

I can wait for the nine Chinese units to arrive at position 2 in the clear hex and then launch an assault. The 4 units indicated as moving east, are now moving west. I'm going to try and clear the hex containing the 9th Army HQ and BF before that to close off that route of escape.

I think like you do. I try to force the Chinese to move into a hex I own, so I can try and close the door behind them.

Jocke's frustrated and mentioned he hates China, but I think this proves that you have to be very careful being aggressive with the Chinese early. If the situation goes bad, it tends to get very painful rather quick and takes time to recover and form a strong MLR.

In the north, I've been bombing a force in 2x terrain and Jocke has said their movement has reset back to zero as well. I don't know why this is happening, but it's beginning to taint everything I do in China. I wonder if Dababes somehow treats aerial bombing differently in regards to troop movement? All I know is it's completely hampering my ability to hammer the Chinese if I have to stop to allow them to move all the time. It's becoming extremely frustrating and a game breaker for Jocke.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 485
I need to update - 2/11/2013 5:49:46 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Batavia has fallen on April 20th after consecutive deliberate attacks. The Java campaign is now at an end. The 4th and Imperial Guards Divisions are the worst off and need some time to recuperate. The 16th Division will deploy to Sumatra and join the 5th Division in capturing Palembang. The elite 18th (91 exp) and 33rd Divisions will remain in reserve for the moment and deploy to Sumatra if needed.

The 21st Division at Port Blair will deploy to Burma.

I now will move to capture Darwin and prepare for landing in Western Australia to deny the use of Perth to the Allied build up. Then I will move on India with the aim of isolating all allied forces in Burma and capturing Ledo to prevent any aid reaching China. I want the Tojo available for the Indian operation and will move when I can achieve air superiority against the British. I'm thinking July at the earliest. even if that is too late and not succesful, it prevents the Allies from moving forward in Burma if they are busy fighting me around Dimapur and Ledo.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 486
RE: I need to update - 2/11/2013 6:11:21 PM   
Andav

In my DBBs game with witpqs (there is an AAR), as the Japanese I am constantly moving under Allied bombers and it does not reset movement. I do not think the Chinese would be any different. I know I bomb his guys all the time when moving and "twice on Sunday" when they are in open ground. I think if it is resetting, you should post a save to the tech support forum and have it checked out. It should not be happening. The Chinese seem to move slow enough without resetting.

Just as an FYI, I read and enjoy your AAR but will pretty much never comment. One of the many lurkers boasting your Viewed count. Keep up the good work!

Wa

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 487
RE: I need to update - 2/11/2013 6:21:51 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Thanks Andav. Both you and witpqs have suggested posting in the tech forum and I think we may have to. I can't speak for Jocke, but I really don't run into this issue. I'm usually in combat mode when under aerial attack and just don't see this happening to my forces anymore.

I'm glad you are enjoying the AAR. It's not up to my standards, but time is an issue this time around and I just can't post in the amount of detail I'd like to and yet still complete turns.

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 488
Off topic - 2/11/2013 6:23:56 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Erik, looks like another modelling thread has been started in the main forum, we'd best get cracking on our Japanese CL projects again.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 2/11/2013 6:24:03 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 489
RE: Off topic - 2/11/2013 6:29:53 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Erik, looks like another modelling thread has been started in the main forum, we'd best get cracking on our Japanese CL projects again.

Yes! This is the week for me as well. Some time off and lots of bad weather!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 490
RE: Off topic - 2/13/2013 3:25:56 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Erik,

I finally cleared the furniture out of my model storage area, so I'm back in business! I need to do a complete model inventory soon and assess the extent of my addiction.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 491
Dragging my butt - 2/13/2013 3:32:18 AM   
SqzMyLemon

I'm still working on the next turn and it seems to be taking me awhile. I'm trying to get everything in motion to get supplies and fuel stockpiled for the next operations.

China is going better than expected, but I need to shift focus to securing the Solomons and Marshall's in case Jocke tries an offensive move while I'm occupied elsewhere.

On a purely descriptive note. Japan has it's second Naval Air Ace. PO1 Saeki, Y. of Tainan Ku S-1, based at Toboali, scored his fifth victory a few turns ago.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 492
April 24/42 Update - 2/16/2013 6:19:43 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I've missed updating a week of game time, but I've just been swamped with work. I'd rather keep turns going while they can in case Jocke needs to stop our game and focus on his other PBEM.

A few developments. I'm moving on Palembang now. 5th Division and two Tank Regiments are currently investing the base. An Inf. Rgt. and 33rd Division are being sent to increase my assault value before launching the first attack. I've been keeping Palembang's airbase shut down.

In Australia, a Tank Rgt. has almost reached Katherine while infantry from Derby slowly march overland to reinforce. I'll cut off Darwin from the land side and ship additional troops to land at Wyndham. I'm reinforcing Port Hedland and will begin to move on Exmouth and Carnarvon. I'm dangling the CVL Ryujo TF around Exmouth to keep Jocke's attention focused here. KB is undetected steaming east towards Tazmania. Submarines are performing search patrols to see if I can spot a target worth committing KB to attack.

In Burma, I'm marching on Myitkyina with a couple of Inf Rgt.'s from 55th Division. Only light enemy forces are still in Burma, the bulk of the forces were withdrawn via Akyab. The 21st Division will arrive at Rangoon by sea tomorrow.

April 24/42:

China:

The large enemy force near Hengyang has moved N.W. from it's last position shown on the screenshot previously posted. I did not bomb this force to allow it to move and it's now entered a Japanese controlled hex in clear terrain. Japanese forces awaiting the arrival of the enemy force launched a shock attack today after strong air bombardment against the enemy force. In what has to be one of the worst results I've ever had in a shock attack against Chinese troops in clear terrain ever, the Chinese hold and an entire Japanese Division, the 34th, is completely trashed with only 40 AV left and suffering over 300 disabled infantry squads. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 79,52 (near Shaoyang)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 52130 troops, 517 guns, 186 vehicles, Assault Value = 1814

Defending force 46982 troops, 283 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1147

Japanese adjusted assault: 1048

Allied adjusted defense: 372

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-), leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
6470 casualties reported
Squads: 35 destroyed, 725 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 72 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 51 disabled
Vehicles lost 10 (1 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
5617 casualties reported
Squads: 262 destroyed, 193 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 142 disabled
Engineers: 9 destroyed, 12 disabled
Guns lost 67 (1 destroyed, 66 disabled)

Assaulting units:
34th Division (This division gets hammered))
13th Division
51st Division
116th Division
2nd Tank Regiment
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
51st Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
11th Army
2nd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
52nd Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion

Defending units:
4th Chinese Corps
46th Chinese Corps
63rd Chinese Corps
10th Chinese Corps
18th Chinese Corps
25th Chinese Corps
65th Chinese Corps
7th War Area
18th Chinese Base Force

I'm starting to realize overstacking doesn't really mean much in terms of negatively affecting the combat performance of overstacked units. The stacking limit in the hex is 80k, there are over 90k of Chinese troops in the hex and despite a low supply modifier my force actually gets mauled with over 700 disablements. Ouch. The lowest leadership and land attack skill of all the infantry and armour units was 68, yet still lost the leadership modifier. I tend to think the crappy leaders of support units such as artillery units affect overall leadership ratings way out of proportion to what they bring to the battle. The 11th Army HQ is commanded by one of my best army commanders in Watanabe, so to see the Chinese get the (+1) modifier seems ridiculous.

Regardless of the reasons, this attack failed to dislodge the Chinese. I've ordered a deliberate attack again for tomorrow, I can't risk the Chinese launching a shock attack themselves and routing my forces if I rest. I must maul this enemy force while it's vulnerable in clear terrain and avoid the same, especially after such a brutal result suffering an almost 50% reduction in combat effectiveness.

Indian Ocean:

On a happier note, I finally mauled an enemy transport TF in open Ocean with a SCTF. An enemy TF of ten ships was spotted by Jake floatplane heading due west of Albany roughly midway to the map edge, a returning supply TF. I ordered CA Tone and two DD's to intercept. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Busselton at 24,153, Range 6,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Tone, Shell hits 1
DD Shiratsuyu
DD Shigure

Allied Ships
PC Bhadravati, Shell hits 6, and is sunk
xAK Clan Lamont
xAK Ikauna, Shell hits 2
xAK Islami
xAK Maldive, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Empire Kamal, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Empire Glade
xAK Empire Glen, Shell hits 3
xAK Empire Rani, Shell hits 2
xAK Empire Niger
xAK Empire Ability, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk

In three running battles, I believe all enemy ships were sunk with sinking sounds heard between combats and the final action of the day against a lone transport. These were 5600 cargo and 200 fuel capacity transports worth 12 VP's each, a nice haul. My SCTF is out of ammo and heading back to Java to replenish.

The Philippines:

I risk the mines at Manila and naval bombard the defenders. I lose a DMS to CD gun fire and what sounds like a boom sound before I even get to the bombardment screen, so not sure what is up with that. It also appears that DMS's embedded in a bombardment TF do not clear any mines. A decent bombardment though. AAR follows:

Night Naval bombardment of Manila at 79,77

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
O-47A: 2 damaged
O-47A: 1 destroyed on ground
PBY-4 Catalina: 1 destroyed on ground

Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro
BB Fuso

Allied ground losses:
682 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 21 destroyed, 44 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 11 (1 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 8 (5 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 19

E8N2 Dave acting as spotter for BB Yamashiro
BB Yamashiro firing at Manila
F1M2 Pete acting as spotter for BB Fuso
BB Fuso firing at 1st PA Infantry Division

Here's the troop comparison at Manila after an artillery bombardment. AAR follows:

Ground combat at Manila (79,77)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 1942 troops, 140 guns, 136 vehicles, Assault Value = 1457

Defending force 70730 troops, 778 guns, 811 vehicles, Assault Value = 2363

Japanese ground losses:
Guns lost 22 (10 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Vehicles lost 18 (5 destroyed, 13 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
38th Division
11th Garrison Unit
64th Infantry Group
48th Division
3rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
21st Ind. Engineer Regiment
11th Tank Regiment
14th Army
2nd RF Gun Battalion
4th RF Gun Battalion
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
5th RF Gun Battalion
6th RF Gun Battalion
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
194th Tank Battalion
14th PS Engineer Regiment
192nd Tank Battalion
3rd/12th PA Inf Battalion
91st PA Infantry Division
57th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
4th Marine Regiment
31st Infantry Regiment
11th PA Infantry Division
21st PA Infantry Division
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
41st PA Infantry Division
51st PA Infantry Division
1st PA Infantry Division
45th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
31st PA Infantry Division
71st PA Infantry Division
2nd PA Constabulary Division
803rd Engineer Aviation Battalion
Clark Field USAAF Base Force
201st PA Construction Battalion
Cavite USN Base Force
Provisional GMC Grp
Asiatic Fleet
88th PS Field Artillery Regiment
Manila USAAF Base Force
I Philippine Corps
301st Construction Battalion
86th PS Coastal Artillery Battalion
1st USMC AA Battalion
USAFFE
II Philippine Corps
200th & 515th Coast AA Regiment
202nd PA Construction Battalion
Bataan USN Base Force
301st PA Field Artillery Regiment

Thoughts:

Business as usual. I'm redeploying troops, ships and aircraft for the Perth operation. Recon of Burma shows little movement of Allied troops forward from India. I may have to rethink an operation here. The plan was to trap Allied forces perhaps moving forward too quickly. However, that appears to not be happening, so really denies the purpose of the operation in the first place, the destruction of Commonwealth Indian forces moved forward too soon. The same is true of the Perth region, but this operation will go ahead, as I want to deny access to the DEI from this route as long as possible.

The Allies are not moving forward in areas that I'd hoped would have received more attention by now. I think Jocke is simply waiting to see where I'll go next and move appropriately after he determines the route of least resistance. I don't think he has to fight for anywhere I choose to move against, but I won't move for movements sake. If there are no targets, I will not sail across the map just hoping to run into something. KB's current position has two purposes, stay undetected and pounce on any high value targets of opportunity, and if detected, provide the deterrent to allow the Perth operation to go ahead without risk of enemy naval interdiction.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 493
RE: April 24/42 Update - 2/17/2013 2:44:55 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

The lowest leadership and land attack skill of all the infantry and armour units was 68, yet still lost the leadership modifier. I tend to think the crappy leaders of support units such as artillery units affect overall leadership ratings way out of proportion to what they bring to the battle.

The - leadership doesn't mean it applied to all your forces, only that at least one unit failed its leadership check. As you note, likely one of your support units.

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 494
RE: April 24/42 Update - 2/17/2013 4:57:54 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

The lowest leadership and land attack skill of all the infantry and armour units was 68, yet still lost the leadership modifier. I tend to think the crappy leaders of support units such as artillery units affect overall leadership ratings way out of proportion to what they bring to the battle.

The - leadership doesn't mean it applied to all your forces, only that at least one unit failed its leadership check. As you note, likely one of your support units.

If that's the case, I'd like to know how the Chinese passed theirs.

Is the leadership modifier the equivalent of +1 to the die roll? If so, it's far too easy for combined-arms forces to lose out on this positive modifier because they include support units with poor leaders. I find it unrealistic to have to spend PP's to exchange almost every leader in the Imperial Army just to have a chance to get a consistent +1 modifier. Don't get me wrong, I do my best to have good quality leaders at the sharp end, but it continues to be frustrating to see support units undermine the overall performance of an otherwise experienced command structure, if this is indeed what is happening.

I need to re-read the manual in a few places to try and understand this better.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 2/17/2013 5:19:40 AM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 495
April 25/42 Update - 2/17/2013 5:18:11 AM   
SqzMyLemon

April 25/42:

China:

All the action was in China today.

A follow up deliberate attack in the mountains near Kungchang showed positive results and I'm slowly grinding this enemy force down. Once again though, this Chinese force is almost 40k worth of troops in a 25k stacking limit hex, yet after a second deliberate attack in three days there still is no (-) supply modifier. I can only hope the supposed supply usage of Chinese forces in overstacked hexes will eventually negatively affect the Chinese ability to fight effectively months from now. AAR follows:

Ground combat at 82,36 (near Kungchang)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 14674 troops, 131 guns, 379 vehicles, Assault Value = 623

Defending force 19893 troops, 105 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 497

Japanese adjusted assault: 323

Allied adjusted defense: 493

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
18 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 45 (6 destroyed, 39 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
600 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 94 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Assaulting units:
12th Tank Regiment
3rd Tank Regiment
9th Tank Regiment
41st Division
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
30th Chinese Corps
75th Chinese Corps

I launched a follow up deliberate attack against the Chinese force west of Shaoyang today. Results were much better than the previous day's shock attack. I think I set my orders to rest today, I doubt there will be a Chinese counterattack now. However, I might also have ordered another deliberate attack . I just can't remember. Regardless of my orders, I've decided I need to eliminate this Chinese force so I can shift the axis of my offensive towards Liuchow and Tuyun. I can't afford to have a number of divisions tied up holding this enemy force in place or risk giving Jocke a chance to retreat and infiltrate my lines as he likes to do. I need to secure this area, threathen Changteh with encirclement and move on. AAR follows:

Attacking force 37679 troops, 411 guns, 144 vehicles, Assault Value = 1226

Defending force 42017 troops, 282 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 772

Japanese adjusted assault: 490

Allied adjusted defense: 166

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1898 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 156 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 8 disabled

Allied ground losses:
3511 casualties reported
Squads: 60 destroyed, 266 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 40 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 14 disabled
Guns lost 21 (5 destroyed, 16 disabled)

Assaulting units:
13th Division
51st Division
34th Division
116th Division
2nd Tank Regiment
11th Army

Defending units:
18th Chinese Corps
46th Chinese Corps
10th Chinese Corps
63rd Chinese Corps
25th Chinese Corps
4th Chinese Corps
65th Chinese Corps
7th War Area
18th Chinese Base Force

Production:

Device Kawasaki Ha-60 advances R&D to 1/43

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 496
April 26/42 Update - 2/17/2013 7:26:56 PM   
SqzMyLemon

April 26/42:

All the action is once again in China. I did order another deliberate attack against the Chinese force west of Shaoyang after all. Despite 7:1 odds, the enemy still holds. AAR follows:

Attacking force 36472 troops, 412 guns, 144 vehicles, Assault Value = 1098

Defending force 39322 troops, 277 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 508

Japanese adjusted assault: 539

Allied adjusted defense: 72

Japanese assault odds: 7 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
318 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 65 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1814 casualties reported
Squads: 102 destroyed, 23 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 59 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 34 (5 destroyed, 29 disabled)

Assaulting units:
51st Division
116th Division
13th Division
34th Division
2nd Tank Regiment
11th Army

Defending units:
10th Chinese Corps
63rd Chinese Corps
46th Chinese Corps
4th Chinese Corps
18th Chinese Corps
25th Chinese Corps
65th Chinese Corps
7th War Area
18th Chinese Base Force

Indian Ocean:

No sign of anything Allied yet from patrolling submarines as KB makes it's way towards Tasmania. Fuel is going to be tight, but I may try and swing south of Tasmania and race through the gap between Australia and New Zealand to arrive at Noumea. I'm picking up lots of enemy TF's in the area and it may be my best chance to surprise some enemy naval forces if I can remain undetected.

The rest of the map is quiet as my forces move on their next objectives.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 497
Thoughts - 2/17/2013 7:59:14 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Jocke has raised the issue of a ceasefire or surrender in China which I'm not really sure how to respond too. I understand Jocke's dislike for the theatre, but I also think he's giving up way too easily here despite getting caught out of position a number of times. The biggest problem I am having is he's mentioned his current situation is a result of his forces losing movement from being bombed, which has prevented him from being able to withdraw properly and not get trapped, and that I've been able to capitalize on that. Needless to say this frustrates me and implies that somehow I'm gaining an unfair advantage. I can't help feeling the entire China campaign is tainted now.

Right now, I'm in the process of investing Liuchow. Jocke has not made one effort to move out of the base to avoid being cut-off. Is it because he's trying to and his movement is being reset, or does he just not recognize the danger, or doesn't care? I captured Kweilin for a song when he had 40k worth of troops one hex away and they did not make any effort to reinforce the base before it fell. He withdrew from Changsha opening the road to isolate his forces at Hengyang which I then did and having blocked the railway long before that to Kweilin his only choice was to move towards Chihkiang. I won the race to block that route by occupying the rough terrain hex directly S.E. of Chihkiang. Did I win the race because his units were having their movement reset, or did I win the race because he was forced to use the woods movement rate while I travelled along a main road? In this case Jocke clearly stated his movement was being reset to zero from bombing. I stopped bombing and he moved his force into a Japanese occuppied hex and this is the force I've been attacking for three days now. I'm bombing troops around Sian and Jocke stated they've reset as well, it seems every force I'm bombing Jocke is stating he's having trouble moving them. How can I possibly be facing this against almost every Chinese force on the map? How can I be expected to play at all if I don't know whether the game is borked, or just a result of how both of us have played up to this point?

I'm almost to the point of submitting the last two weeks of turns to michaelm to discover if there is a bug, or if things are working as designed. If Jocke's forces are losing movement, why? I think I may not continue the game until this question can be answered and explained fully to both of us so that we can understand what is happening here and move on. If everytime I bomb an enemy force there's the chance it will reset it's movement, rather than just being slowed down, that's a game breaker for me. I'm beginning to feel cheated and that there's no point pursuing a China campaign if I'm getting an advantage through anything other than my own play.

I really don't understand why this constant loss of movement is occurring, but it's wrecking the game for me. If it's just a case of that's what happens to Chinese troops who are out of supply, bombed and suffering from low morale, I need that expained to my opponent so he doesn't think he's getting screwed here. If it shouldn't be happening, it needs to be fixed. I think the best course of action may be to halt the game, submit the saves to michaelm and get some kind of definitive answer here before moving this game any farther forward. The China theatre is an important one in my overall strategy, I need to know that what I'm accomplishing there is not a result of a crappy land combat design that isn't working properly, or a result of something all together different.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 498
RE: Thoughts - 2/17/2013 9:00:40 PM   
obvert

With stacking limits China should be able to hold much more effectively for the Allied player. If he didn't get to an MLR and hold, especially after his experience in our game, I'm not sure the movement issues are the most critical. If in addition there is something wrong with the game there, as well, I can see where that would be frustrating. In fact I thought Michaelm did say before it had to do with changing modes or something?

Anyway. If he was just sitting in the forests waiting for you to try to push him back, using small forces forward as guerrillas if desired, and setting up multiple lines, he should have been able to hold fairly well. You should not feel that you have to concede anything if this is important to your strategy and you've invested in that. As many Allied players have pointed out elsewhere, if the Japanese focus on China, something else is more vulnerable, either form a lack of troops, less supply, or less air power.

Maybe while you take a day or two off you could do a test in China in a head to head and see if you can recreate this movement erasure issue. As part of doing that maybe ask what all of the particulars of these units were; mode, follow commands? how far they were set to go, etc. I've certainly had units bombed to hell by 4Es (one brigade just got taken from a good fresh fighting force to a shattered 37% TOE shell in about 4 days along a jungle road. It never stopped moving though, in either move or combat mode. I still wonder if it's something in his settings, also. It seems every Chinese player would have this happen, as the Japanese always bomb the s*** out of them.

PS - Have him ask Bullwinkle about China. Interesting ideas there, and certainly no panic about not being able to hold it.

< Message edited by obvert -- 2/17/2013 11:03:17 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 499
RE: Thoughts - 2/17/2013 10:53:41 PM   
witpqs

Have you guys posted save games on the lost movement for Michael?

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 500
RE: Thoughts - 2/18/2013 12:43:43 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Have you guys posted save games on the lost movement for Michael?

I just did. I'm not sure what is happening on my opponents side, but I just can't wrap my head around why it's happening so consistently. I can't help but wonder if it's a result of how Jocke is ordering his units to move or if he's changing destinations, modes or something. I do not suffer anything like it. I had an armoured unit marching in combat mode in Burma that was bombed for a few days and I didn't lose any movement whatsover. He clearly states it's after his troops are bombed, but I'm beginning to wonder. It's unlikely that every stack I'm bombing should be losing movement like this. I just don't get it.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 501
RE: Thoughts - 2/18/2013 12:51:38 AM   
Cpt Sherwood

The only effect I have noticed is units changing from move mode to combat mode and not all of them do it.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 502
Game on hold - 2/18/2013 1:46:56 AM   
SqzMyLemon

I've decided to put the game on hold until this issue is resolved. I've asked Jocke to provide some save files for Michael to look at. Until then, I'm outta here to get some model time in.

(in reply to Cpt Sherwood)
Post #: 503
RE: Game on hold - 2/18/2013 3:14:30 AM   
PaxMondo

Watching this.  I haven't seen it, but given that it is happening (movement resetting to zero if bombed), that would be a big deal.  At this time, it is a big deal for the allies.  But in '43, it will be a big problem for you as the IJ.  Hopefully, Michael will be able to sort this out.

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 504
April 28/42 - 2/25/2013 4:58:50 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Here's a brief update showing the Chinese and Australian theatres of operation as of April 28th. First up is Southern China where the biggest gains are currently being made.

The yellow circles indicate Chinese forces that are surrounded or cut off. In total, 27 Chinese LCU's are facing destruction from direct attack or attrition. I plan on eliminating the Chinese force two hexes southeast of Chihkiang, which has no viable retreat route, in order to form a defensive line at position 5. Four divisions can then be redeployed to exploit pending breakthroughs at positions 2 and 3.

Position 2 at Liuchow has five Chinese LCU's apparently trying to withdraw northwest while two Japanese divisions position to attack the base tomorrow. A preliminary artillery bombardment yesterday indicates only two Chinese corps, a BF and two Army HQ units defending the base. Japanese bombers are hammering the defenders in clear terrain, but weather grounds the missions on occasion. Jocke waited too long to withdraw this force as an IMB at position 1 is about to block the Liuchow - Tuyun railway tomorrow.

Position 3 is a severely battered Chinese base force and Army HQ. A lone IMB and artillery unit are pushing these units back. I have no intelligence on whether any Chinese forces hold the river line yet. If I can get across the river and reinforce before a Chinese counterattack, I will have turned the flank of the Chinese positions at Changteh, Chihkiang and Tuyun. That will be quite a coup if I can manage it. However, any undetected Chinese units currently holding the river line will ruin this hope PDQ.

Position 4 contains four enemy LCU's of at least three corps. A harder force to break, yet vital in order to clear the Changsha - Kweilin railway. Removing this enemy force from the rail line is the number one priority and reinforcements are being deployed.

I'm extremely pleased with events in China. The aggressive use of Chinese forces in the first months of the war has resulted in a large number of enemy LCU's being surrounded, and weakening many others, that could have been used to form a much stronger MLR. If, and it's a big if, I can get across the river north of Kweilin and flank Chinese positions at Tuyun and Chihkiang many offensive options become available. If not, I will simply flank Tuyun and march directly on Kweiyang. I want the Kunming to Paoshan bases closed to any Allied aid based from Burma or India.

China is what it is in this game, but I'd be foolish to not press my advantage. I think I've done well capitalizing on the opportunities provided in the south, however, the situation in the north is completely the opposite. It's going to be a long, grinding and bloody affair cracking the Chinese defence there and blocking Lanchow's and Sian's fuel from reaching Chinese industry, let alone capturing it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 2/25/2013 6:04:16 AM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 505
RE: April 28/42 - 2/25/2013 6:09:39 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Ack, it's already 23:00 here. Work is killing me lately and there will be no relief until Spring breakup. The game limps along with both Jocke and myself being busy with other things.

I have not forgotten about my post in the tech forum about the movement issues we've had. I just haven't had the time to sort out which files I need to provide michaelm.

I'll provide Northern China and Australian screenshots tomorrow. Off to bed.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 506
May 2/42 - 3/2/2013 1:41:41 AM   
SqzMyLemon

We've moved past April 42, so I thought I'd post an economic overview. Here's the latest WitP Chart from tracker:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 507
RE: Total Chinese casualties to date. - 3/2/2013 1:49:03 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Here are the monthly numbers for destroyed Chinese squads and guns.

Dec/41:

1373 Infantry
1087 Non-Combat
117 Engineer
87 Guns

Jan/42:

1888 Infantry
1715 Non-Combat
109 Engineer
155 Guns

Feb/42:

974 Infantry
1057 Non-Combat
60 Engineer
89 Guns

March/42:

999 Infantry
1417 Non-Combat
40 Engineer
90 Guns

April/42:

1858 Infantry
1299 Non-Combat
180 Engineer
191 Guns

Total:

7092 Infantry
6575 Non-Combat
506 Engineer
612 Guns

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 508
RE: Total Chinese casualties to date. - 3/2/2013 4:49:33 AM   
PaxMondo

YOu might be banking a bit TOO much HI now.  I would get my ARM and VEH pools a bit bigger than they are before cutting them back.  Like HI, you can't lose those and you can go through a lot in a hurry.

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 509
RE: Total Chinese casualties to date. - 3/2/2013 5:09:53 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

YOu might be banking a bit TOO much HI now.  I would get my ARM and VEH pools a bit bigger than they are before cutting them back.  Like HI, you can't lose those and you can go through a lot in a hurry.

I agree. I'm tweaking things right now, but this screenshot just showed a spike. Last turn I only banked around 4300, but I turned off a bunch of merchant shipyards which shot it up again. The Yamato is complete in 17 days, so naval production will be scaled back and armaments increased. I may not build Musashi this time around. If not, that will allow the armaments pool to grow quickly. I also learned my lesson last game, I'm not overproducing aircraft this time around until better models are available, so that will allow even more armaments to be pooled over the next few months.

Last game I know my vehicle points were low, so my production right now is where I want to be with a goal of around 20-25k by years end. I do want roughly 100k of armaments by the end of 42, so I'll make sure I meet that target.

My concern is fuel. Big mistake on my part letting Palembang go this long. My grand offensive operations are on hold due to lack of fuel. If Palembang is trashed upon capture, I'll be battening down the hatches and going into defensive mode pretty quick.

I love playing Japan, but I always wish I could start over. I so know now what I want to do, but it may be too late once again. I kinda suck with Japan really, truth be told.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 3/2/2013 5:10:33 AM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: pre-April 15/42 Update Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI