Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

April 9/42 Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> April 9/42 Update Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
April 9/42 Update - 1/16/2013 5:30:56 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Wow, a major development in China has changed the situation completely!

First, I'd like to pass on that the bombardment of Batavia was succesful and no mines were hit, but the BB's targeted the troops and not the airbase as hoped. I really wanted to try and nail the remaining British and Dutch fighters on the ground. A number of enemy patrol boats were sunk, but I did lose a TB to torpedo attack from a Dutch MTB. It could have been worse if I'd hit some mines, but no complaints from me despite the airbase not being hit. Severe weather grounded my bombers too, so overall not a good day in the DEI. The disappointment in Java was more than offset by events in China.

Essentially, the Chinese have abandoned both Changsha and Hengyang without a fight! Full withdrawals from both bases has opened the door in the south. Now to figure out how best to capitalize and if my troops can be positioned fast enough to create a few more encirclements or a further breakthrough. Screens follow and I apologize for the crammed text, but I wanted to try and provide as many troop dispositions as possible to give a clearer picture. I can fill in specific numbers of troops if required.

Southern China:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/21/2013 4:10:30 AM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 421
RE: April 10/42 Update - 1/16/2013 5:31:45 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Northern China:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 422
Further comment - 1/16/2013 7:55:06 PM   
SqzMyLemon

With all the focus lately in Mike Solli's AAR about fuel and oil, I'm pumped about being in a position to clear the Liuchow - Changsha railway much sooner than anticipated. I want to see if I can finally get fuel and oil flowing along the land route from Singapore, Bangkok or Saigon. After securing the railway, if I can capture Sian and Lanchow by June/July my long term economic health will benefit tremendously.

I still have a large fuel stockpile at Saigon to the tune of 200k that has remained fairly constant from game start. I want to see if I can get it flowing east to Fusan. I'm able to draw fuel/oil to Fusan as I've been using the port exclusively for some time, but I can't get resources to stockpile. I don't know if it's a question of loading them faster than they can accumulate or not. Shanghai, Port Arthur and Keijo all have stockpiles of 100k resources yet I'm not exporting from those bases. Fusan can expand to a level 8 port and I believe I have it at level 5 or 6 right now, perhaps once level 8 is reached the stockpile of resources will increase substantially.

When Changsha comes under control I need to decide on whether to repair the HI or not. I'd like to secure Sian's or Lanchow's fuel/oil before I do any more HI expansion in China. Gaining the production of Liuchow, Kweilin, Shaotang, Siangtang, Hengyang and Changsha should see a marked increase in resource flow to Fusan.

I've also decided to expand a number of LI factories in the Home Islands. I've always tinkered with the idea of this and it seems like the kind of game to try some new things. This obviously is a long term investment and won't pay dividends until early 1945. I'm not going to go crazy here, maybe just enough LI to compensate for the loss of some HI centres I expect to lose sooner than later throughout the Empire.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/16/2013 7:58:15 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 423
RE: April 10/42 Update - 1/16/2013 8:04:09 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Wow, a major development in China has changed the situation completely!

First, I'd like to pass on that the bombardment of Batavia was succesful and no mines were hit, but the BB's targeted the troops and not the airbase as hoped. I really wanted to try and nail the remaining British and Dutch fighters on the ground. A number of enemy patrol boats were sunk, but I did lose a TB to torpedo attack from a Dutch MTB. It could have been worse if I'd hit some mines, but no complaints from me despite the airbase not being hit. Severe weather grounded my bombers too, so overall not a good day in the DEI. The disappointment in Java was more than offset by events in China.

Essentially, the Chinese have abandoned both Changsha and Hengyang without a fight! Full withdrawals from both bases has opened the door in the south. Now to figure out how best to capitalize and if my troops can be positioned fast enough to create a few more encirclements or a further breakthrough. Screens follow and I apologize for the crammed text, but I wanted to try and provide as many troop dispositions as possible to give a clearer picture. I can fill in specific numbers of troops if required.

Good job on the bombardment. Glad no BBs got mined for your troubles.

A pleasant surprise re: Changsha and Hengyang too. Why would he want to voluntarily leave Changsha with its excellent terrain defenses?

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 424
RE: April 10/42 Update - 1/16/2013 8:28:30 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

A pleasant surprise re: Changsha and Hengyang too. Why would he want to voluntarily leave Changsha with its excellent terrain defenses?

I'm not sure why it was given up freely. I think Jocke has a tendency to see things worse than they are at times. Then again, with the successful crossing at Siangtang it was only a matter of time till Hengyang and area was captured which would really put Changsha at risk of being surrounded as well. This might be key, suffering two encirclements already, Jocke may recognize that I'm not interested in wiping out Chinese formations at this stage, but rather isolating them and pressing on. I'm not providing him with a ready reserve at Chungking and I'm simply flanking his major positions rather than bludgeon myself against his defences. In that light, it does seem sensible to withdraw and try to establish some form of MLR rather than wait to be surrounded. However, if I can bag another 8-10 units he's going to be getting awfully thin for LCU's.

I now press on with Tuyun and Kweiyang as the main objectives. I want to keep the pressure on and keep moving until I hit a wall.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 425
RE: April 10/42 Update - 1/16/2013 8:42:27 PM   
witpqs

Changsha is light urban, not so great but not horrible for defense either. With the spearhead pushed through, Changsha was being cut off. The decision is leave the troops there to delay things and damage the industry as much as possible and definitely lose the troops, or withdraw and use them for the defense of the rest.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 426
RE: April 10/42 Update - 1/16/2013 9:06:44 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Changsha is light urban, not so great but not horrible for defense either. With the spearhead pushed through, Changsha was being cut off. The decision is leave the troops there to delay things and damage the industry as much as possible and definitely lose the troops, or withdraw and use them for the defense of the rest.

My thoughts too. At what point does defending Changsha become untenable and either willingly sacrifice the defenders or live to fight another day? I'm not sure I would completely abandon the base though. I had five divisions tied up investing the base and this move will free up four divisions at 100% effectiveness to be used elsewhere immediately. Jocke's now withdrawing an overstacked force burning up even more supply and every mile travelled will make his force that much less combat effective.

It's definitely going to get tougher the farther I go into China and this may prove a brilliant maneuver on Jocke's part, but in the meantime I'm more than happy to capture key bases and further weaken China's supply generating capacity for a song.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 427
RE: April 10/42 Update - 1/16/2013 9:17:54 PM   
witpqs

Certain parts of the campaigns are just a big poop sandwich, eaten one turn at a time!

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 428
RE: April 10/42 Update - 1/16/2013 9:58:33 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Certain parts of the campaigns are just a big poop sandwich, eaten one turn at a time!

Yes. Too bad, Yankee dogs! BANZAI SqzMyLemon!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 429
RE: Further comment - 1/16/2013 10:55:08 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

I've also decided to expand a number of LI factories in the Home Islands. I've always tinkered with the idea of this and it seems like the kind of game to try some new things. This obviously is a long term investment and won't pay dividends until early 1945. I'm not going to go crazy here, maybe just enough LI to compensate for the loss of some HI centres I expect to lose sooner than later throughout the Empire.

Just to put it into perspective, if you increase 1 LI factory today, it'll break even on 9 Jan 45.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 430
RE: Further comment - 1/17/2013 1:20:04 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

Just to put it into perspective, if you increase 1 LI factory today, it'll break even on 9 Jan 45.

Yeah, in stock scenarios there just is no economic justification to expand LI. That 1000 supply could have been used (or saved) somewhere else. Helping to keep a base over 20K to allow upgrades for example ....

Pax

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 431
Strategic musings... - 1/17/2013 4:11:05 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Lots of interesting comments and opinions being presented lately on the running of the Japanese economy and the issue of fuel. So much so, that I've decided on my phase II objective. Since I'm concentrating so much effort and resources on economic expansion and R&D, I need to select a target that will contribute materially to the Empire in a meaningful way, yet still meet my requirement of finding and destroying large quantities of Allied troops. Australia does not contribute one thing economically to the Empire and in fact would be a net importer of my already limited resources. The size of the continent and distance between bases would make it very hard for me to isolate enemy troop concentrations while providing adequate air support. I believe the proper choice is...India.

I mentioned earlier that it appeared Jocke was going to try and hold a line in Northern Burma and thought it might be possible to make a landing with the intention of trapping and destroying all Commonwealth forces committed to Burma. Driving as far as Ledo would remove any chance of aid to China from India and protect my Burma frontier far longer. Pax's comments in Mike Solli's AAR about India struck a cord and went a few steps further by including Calcutta for an objective for a number of reasons. Industry, captured fuel/oil and protecting Burma from Allied bombing allowing much more fuel/oil to be exported to the Home Islands over a longer time period. This sealed it for me.

I'm playing for the end game, to research and deploy the strongest fighter force available to combat Allied bombing and invasion of Japan. I'm not here to repeat what Japan did historically and I believe trying to be conservative with Japan's economy while sticking to a historical perimeter is a losing strategy. At some point Japan's navy becomes a liability more than an asset if fuel is the limiting factor. If there isn't enough to sustain a war economy and maintain a large fleet simultaneously, something has to give. That's where the air force comes in. I'm investing in that to stop the Allies, not the navy, and for that I need to expand my economy, invest heavily on aircraft R&D and protect my fuel/oil centres as long as possible.

So...it's India. Not an outright conquest, it's too late for that and this is after all only Scenario 1, but enough to gain me an economic cushion and force the Allies to take the Central or South Pacific route. I will strengthen my position on the north coast of Australia and look to create a solid roadblock in the Aleutians. So folks, there it is. India is where it's at.

I'll try and show that expanding the Japanese economy and investing heavily in R&D may not be the bugbear everyone thinks it is. I will be the first to admit my mistake if I crash the economy, but at least it won't be from lack of trying to do something against what's commonly accepted. After all, repeating history is just that, repeating history. I don't have the toys of a Scenario 2, but playing a conservative Scenario 1 as Japan is nothing more than a slow grind to defeat in my opinion.

I'd rather go out in a blaze of mediocrity!

Pax, I won't say I'm out to prove you wrong (as you were about Lunga ) but take your thoughts on India and especially Calcutta and apply them to my game to see if I can give myself a fighting chance to change history! I'll be relying on you to throw some advice my way from your experience with this type of operation.

Thoughts are most welcome!

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/17/2013 4:14:35 AM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 432
RE: Strategic musings... - 1/17/2013 10:47:04 AM   
Mike Solli

What's your decision on the LI expansion?

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 433
RE: Strategic musings... - 1/17/2013 11:49:50 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

+1

I'll also note that I did state when trying for Calcutta in Scen 1 (only version I play and the one my personal mod is based upon) I set that as a target from Dec 7. Starting this late will be a handicap. I will be watching with great interest to see how it goes starting from such a relatively late point. BANZAI!!!

Pax

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 434
RE: Strategic musings... - 1/17/2013 4:18:55 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

I'm going to try a moderate expansion of about 100 LI (100,000 supply) as a test. I know it isn't a lot, and to make LI expansion a viable option I think it has to be instituted from day one and in numbers that will make a difference to the end game. I just want to see what kind of effect this amount may have on things, if any. Baby steps.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/17/2013 4:20:22 PM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 435
RE: Strategic musings... - 1/17/2013 4:43:20 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I'll also note that I did state when trying for Calcutta in Scen 1 (only version I play and the one my personal mod is based upon) I set that as a target from Dec 7. Starting this late will be a handicap. I will be watching with great interest to see how it goes starting from such a relatively late point. BANZAI!!!

Hi Pax,

I did catch that in your comment. I'm hoping the late date will catch Jocke offguard and will have given him the chance to move even more troops forward. Criptop's AAR shows that a late Chittagong invasion can pay dividends if not protected against and that was another reason I decided to give this a shot.

I actually think I'm better situated to move on India rather than Australia. I have seven divisions available, one heading to Port Blair, one at Palembang and five on Java. It's a short hop, skip and jump to India from where I current am already concentrated. Another plus is that 80% of my fleet is located no farther away than Soerabaja. the fact that I will have the Liuchow - Changsha railway cleared relatively quickly will facilitate moving reinforcements from China that much faster.

I can still feint towards Australia and the fact I already control New Caledonia and Luganville may buy me some time. Jocke may be preparing for an Australian assault and reinforcing here, not India, with American units.

I will post a screenshot on the planned invasion soon. I wish I could go after Ceylon first to safeguard my flank, but I think that will cause way too much of a delay, remove any element of surprise and require more troops than I have available anyway.

I think this will be an exciting operation and I want to try something different. I decided some time ago that I wanted to push the envelope this time around. This is it.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 436
RE: Strategic musings... - 1/18/2013 2:10:37 AM   
PaxMondo

In addition to those 7 you will need some garrison units and a few brigades.  But, yeah, +2500 AV should let you take Calcutta and environs.  Then back up and smash all of his forces between Calcutta and Burma.  That's what you really want to do if you can.  Then you can repair the oil in Burma and have that all travel to Saigon and then onto Shanghai or PA or whereever you are loading for the HI.

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 437
RE: Strategic musings... - 1/18/2013 2:49:08 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

In addition to those 7 you will need some garrison units and a few brigades.  But, yeah, +2500 AV should let you take Calcutta and environs.  Then back up and smash all of his forces between Calcutta and Burma.  That's what you really want to do if you can.  Then you can repair the oil in Burma and have that all travel to Saigon and then onto Shanghai or PA or whereever you are loading for the HI.

Hi Pax,

That's it in a nutshell. The ultimate goal is to crush anything caught between Calcutta and Burma, push the Allied counteroffensive start line way back and capture any fuel, oil and supplies I can while maximizing the amount I can get out of Burma and maybe Ledo.

Do you think a landing at the bases between Madras and Calcutta is the best option, or go straight for Diamond Harbor? I thought about a two phased assault with the capture of Chittagong the initial objective, which might draw more troops to oppose me then conduct a second landing at Vizga-whatchamacallit and then drive on Calcutta.

When I get the turn back I can start looking at things in more detail. I also have the 55th Division already in Burma, so that gives me eight to play with. If I send all available reinforcements to Luzon to capture Manila in the meantime, that would free up another two divisions after it falls. I'll begin withdrawing some armour units and re-deploy to Malaya and also my paratroop formations which are all currently on Java. I do have to take Palembang yet, but I can do that right after Java and still prepare for India.

I like the timing, if I can be in India by middle-late May, I can use the fleet for at least a month before withdrawing the CV's for upgrades. The Tojo will enter production in June so I can then take on the Hurricanes. Once I'm established the entire operation will be an army and air force thing and the navy can transition to the the Solomons and counter any Allied attempt to gain an early foothold.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 438
RE: Strategic musings... - 1/18/2013 3:14:58 AM   
PaxMondo

Either is equally possible in my mind.  Recon will tell you which way to go.

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 439
RE: Strategic musings... - 1/18/2013 4:00:02 AM   
Saros

That 100K supplies for LI would likely be a lot more useful somewhere else. I'm in October '42 Scen1 and supply is short everywhere, there just isn't enough produced to expand factories, build bases/forts and supply your troops. You can pick like 1.8 of the three things to do properly.

Your best bet if you want to last lategame is to concentrate on stockpiling everything you can in Japan and invest in Georges, Franks and lategame fighters like Shindens and Ki-83's. One thing to think about is where the LI would be located, if its in mainland Japan you are going to have to ship resources in and if its off Japan you wont be able to get to the supplies it generates once the noose tightens around the home islands which in Scen 1 by 1945 (when the LI would be in the positive returns) it will have.

< Message edited by Saros -- 1/18/2013 4:02:53 AM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 440
RE: Strategic musings... - 1/18/2013 3:54:15 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saros

That 100K supplies for LI would likely be a lot more useful somewhere else. I'm in October '42 Scen1 and supply is short everywhere, there just isn't enough produced to expand factories, build bases/forts and supply your troops. You can pick like 1.8 of the three things to do properly.

Your best bet if you want to last lategame is to concentrate on stockpiling everything you can in Japan and invest in Georges, Franks and lategame fighters like Shindens and Ki-83's. One thing to think about is where the LI would be located, if its in mainland Japan you are going to have to ship resources in and if its off Japan you wont be able to get to the supplies it generates once the noose tightens around the home islands which in Scen 1 by 1945 (when the LI would be in the positive returns) it will have.

I think you are right Saros. In this particular instance the 100k in supply is better used repairing R&D factory points for late war fighters. A 100 LI expansion will do me no good by April 1945.

Glad to see you following along.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/18/2013 5:26:56 PM >

(in reply to Saros)
Post #: 441
RE: Strategic musings... - 1/18/2013 4:00:59 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Duplicate post

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/18/2013 4:02:56 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 442
RE: Total Chinese casualties to date. - 1/21/2013 4:06:51 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Here are the monthly numbers for destroyed Chinese squads and guns.

Dec/41:

1373 Infantry
1087 Non-Combat
117 Engineer
87 Guns

Jan/42:

1888 Infantry
1715 Non-Combat
109 Engineer
155 Guns

Feb/42:

974 Infantry
1057 Non-Combat
60 Engineer
89 Guns

March/42:

999 Infantry
1417 Non-Combat
40 Engineer
90 Guns

Total:

5234 Infantry
5276 Non-Combat
326 Engineer
421 Guns

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/21/2013 4:07:33 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 443
April 10/42 Update - 1/21/2013 5:02:49 AM   
SqzMyLemon

The game has slowed as Jocke is in full move mode and informed me I may not receive a turn until Friday, the 25th. I will have plenty of time to plan future moves. In the meantime, we did complete April 10th and something out of the ordinary occurred.

Indian Ocean:

I snuck CVL Ryujo and CVL Zuiho into the Indian Ocean and the task force has been cruising undetected well off the coast of Australia for a week. During the night naval movement phase, the CVL TF ran across an Allied transport TF, but failed to engage in a surface action. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Busselton at 22,153, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo
CVL Zuiho
CA Myoko
CA Haguro
DD Suzukaze
DD Nenohi
DD Hatsushima
DD Wakaba
DD Yugure
DD Ariake

Allied Ships
DE Starling
xAK Clan Alpine
xAK Empire Raja
xAK Filleigh
xAK Howra
xAK Jaladuta
xAK Jalajaran
xAK Empire Kumari
xAK Nirpura
xAK Nirvana
xAK Governor
xAK Tiradentes
xAK Salland
xAK Michael Embiricos

Reduced sighting due to 28% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 28% moonlight: 12,000 yards
Range increases to 12,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 12,000 yards
Allied TF attempts to evade combat
Range increases to 12,000 yards...
Both Task Forces evade combat

I hoped the TF would remain within strike range during the air phase and I was in luck. Despite poor weather a strike was launched and a number of transports were damaged or sunk. Unfortunately no afternoon strike was launched. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Busselton at 21,152

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 29 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24
B5N2 Kate x 28

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Howra, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk
xAK Michael Embiricos, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Salland, Torpedo hits 1
xAK Jalajaran
xAK Clan Alpine
DE Starling
xAK Nirpura, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
xAK Nirvana, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
11 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo

Port Blair:

The amphibious landing against Port Blair commenced with a naval bombardment by BB's Mutsu and Nagato, but damage was minimal. The bulk of the 21st Division has landed and only one troop transport was damaged from enemy CD fire. The Allies had indeed reinforced the base, including an Indian Brigade. The remainder of 21st Division will land prior to any assault. I expect forts to cause some delay in capturing the base. Initial landing AAR follows:

Ground combat at Port Blair (46,58)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 3194 troops, 11 guns, 44 vehicles, Assault Value = 136

Defending force 11254 troops, 103 guns, 34 vehicles, Assault Value = 442

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
44th Indian Brigade
Port Blair RN Det
2nd Indian Coastal Artillery Regiment
22nd Light AA Regiment

Defending units:
21st Div /1

Java:

Batavia is bombed daily, weather permitting, and damage levels to the airbase are increasing. Daily artillery bombardments are also beginning to take a toll on the defenders. Here's the latest bombardment results and the units involved in the battle for Batavia. The first deliberate attack will be launched on April 12th, after elements of 33rd Division recombine following strat mode conversion. I have 16th Division clearing Merak and in reserve. AAR follows:

Ground combat at Batavia (49,98)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 2718 troops, 179 guns, 198 vehicles, Assault Value = 1854

Defending force 36478 troops, 343 guns, 118 vehicles, Assault Value = 935

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 3 (2 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
201 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 17 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 3 (2 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Assaulting units:
33rd/B Division
33rd/A Division
18th Division
4th Division
Imperial Guards Division
33rd/C Division
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
3rd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
7th RF Gun Battalion
3rd RF Gun Battalion
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
Batavia Coastal Gun Battalion
6th KNIL Regiment
4th KNIL Regiment
Roodenburg Battalion
1st Regt Cavalerie
2nd KNIL Landstorm Battalion
Tjilatjap KNIL Battalion
1st KNIL Regiment
1st KNIL Landstorm Battalion
4th KNIL Landstorm Battalion
2nd KNIL Regiment
Lijfwacht Cav Sqn
Marinier Battalion
SE Borneo KNIL Battalion
Commandement Marine
1st KNIL AA Battalion
KNIL Army Command
1 ML-KNIL Aviation
2 ML-KNIL Aviation
ABDA
ML-KNIL
3rd KNIL AA Battalion
Batavia Base Force

Thoughts:

Nothing Earth shattering, but it was really nice to catch some enemy shipping today, even if only transports. No troops losses were indicated, so the TF was either empty or hauling supplies. I have created two SCTF's with a CA and DD each to attempt to wipe out the remaining ships of the enemy TF. The CVL's are low on fuel and will retire to rendezvous with a replenishment TF. I do not know where any Allied CV's are at present, so I will not tempt fate by keeping the CVL's patrolling so far out.

One worrisome development is the complete lack of Japanese submarine attacks on a few enemy transport TF's I've run across over the last month. For some reason despite often being located in the same hex, well away from Allied naval air search, I can't get attacks in. This game seems to be mirroring my last PBEM as far as submarine operations are concerned. Extremely disappointing.

China is action packed at the moment with Jocke attempting to reach Chihkiang by any means possible. I will attempt to cut off at least one major stack of Chinese LCU's and create another encirclement. It will come down to movement rates and if I can clear two Chinese Corps out of rough terrain on the main road to Chihkiang before the nine units that withdrew from Hengyang arrive. My Empire for a paratroop unit in China rather than being all in Java. Initial recon of Chihkiang indicates what appears to be only a British AA unit defending the base. Ugh, what a missed opportunity on my part to capture the base by paradrop. That might have bottled up both enemy forces withdrawing from Hengyang and Changsha and ripped the Chinese defence wide open.

So, it seems there won't be anything further happening until Friday. Just when things have gotten interesting.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 444
April 11/42 Update - 1/22/2013 8:49:05 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I received a turn from Jocke yesterday, but this will be it for at least a week. I'll take my time and start formulating my plans for India and my planned operations over the next few months.

April 11/42:

China:

A small action sees one Chinese Corps destroyed and another forced to retreat near Sian.

S.E. of Chihkiang, Japanese forces try to block nine Chinese LCU's from reaching the base. Depending on upcoming moves, there's a good chance I can isolate this force. Even if I don't, the five divisions freed up from Changsha might be able to catch this Chinese force in clear terrain and maul it.

There are now three enemy units at Chihkiang so it is unlikely I could have held the base if I had been able to make an earlier paradrop.

I'm going to be able to mass some serious firepower over the coming weeks in the north and will attempt to start pushing the Chinese back and take Kungchang.

Port Blair:

The 21st Division launches a deliberate attack at 1:1 odds and reduce the forts to level 1. A follow up deliberate attack may take the base. I'm glad I sent a division to deal with the base quickly as I can't afford to waste time taking these smaller bases.

Indian Ocean:

The Allied TF scatters to the wind and it's every ship for itself. Unfortunately, my SCTF's don't react as hoped and only one transport is located and sunk during the naval phase. During the air phase another is spotted and sunk by the CVL's. I'd like to stay and round up the rest, but I'm critically short of fuel, so the priority is to withdraw and replenish. There's also the chance of superior enemy naval forces catching my TF's low on fuel and far from home. I won't risk getting caught just to bag a few more transports.

Java:

All is set for the first deliberate assault against Batavia on the 12th. I will be attacking with a 2:1 AV advantage, but expect fort levels to heavily favour the defence. Artillery bombardments have been effective though, so perhaps the first assault will go better than anticipated. A quick end to resistance on Java will allow me to finally move on Palembang.

Horn Island:

A couple of xAKL's and a PG are spotted at Horn Island. Nell's from Lae sink the PG and torpedo both xAKL's.

Thoughts:

Eight enemy units at Darwin and five at Horn Island. As soon as Java is cleared I will deal with Darwin and Horn Island using the 56th Division which is currently scattered across Northern Australia.

All combat LCU reinforcements are heading to Luzon to reduce Manila. I'm trying to figure out how best to clear the port of mines while avoiding the CD guns, so the naval bombardments can go in risk free.

Lots to do over the coming weeks. I must start strengthening the Marshall's and Solomons in case the Allies make an early move while I'm occupied with India.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 445
Back up and running in a few days. - 1/29/2013 6:15:32 AM   
SqzMyLemon

I received an e-mail from Jocke stating we'll resume the game by Friday or Saturday. I have to admit RL work has been busy and I've not been up to playing at all lately. The hiatus couldn't have had better timing for me.

So, what about the game?

Having had time to look things over in detail, I'm not happy with my play once again. I have to learn to stay focused playing Japan and move my forces in a way that compliments my overall strategy. I've wasted so much time from poor planning that could have been better used preparing for the next phase of operations. I'm scrambling to get units in place to build up the infrastructure necessary to gain my next objectives.

I've decided that my overall strategy will require two, possibly three, major offensive operations to be conducted over the remainder of 1942 with one caveat stated below. I will not reveal the objectives or go into any further detail at this time. The strategic goal of finding and destroying Allied forces remains the priority, but the manner and sequence of events in which I will attempt to do so will change.

On an economic note, I still am investing heavily in aircraft R&D. There will be no more talk of expanding LI in this AAR, all available surplus supply must be devoted to advancing late war airframes as quickly as possible. I'm reducing merchant navy fuel requirements immediately with the aim to conserve fuel solely for combat operations and export to Japan. Resources will be shipped to Malaya, Indochina and China exclusively and thus move overland to Fusan for export to Japan. There will be no excursions to guano covered islands for resource shipments to Japan. The Empire goes on fuel rationing as of now.

Right now, the immediate goals remain the swift capture of Batavia and Palembang. Here's the caveat; the extent of my future offensive operations will be dependent on the state of the production facilities at Palembang upon capture. No fuel/oil means my offensive plans get scaled back and I assume more of a defensive posture. If Palembang remains a viable source of fuel/oil, I will aggresively look to bloody the enemy on ground of my choosing for the remainder of 1942.

The war resumes in a few days. Banzai!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 446
RE: Back up and running in a few days. - 1/29/2013 7:07:00 AM   
PaxMondo

Would agree with most of your points above.  Except: Palembang.  If damaged, you will want to commit the supplies to repair the oil centers.  Refineries?  Maybe.  Maybe some.  Tough decision.  Depends upon your other supply needs (a/c factory repair and R&D, offensive op's, etc.)

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 447
RE: Back up and running in a few days. - 1/29/2013 9:30:34 AM   
obvert

It's late for Palembang, and even if the facilities are in tact, what I found is there will be less fuel and oil in the base than if captured earlier. By this date some of the del has been taken away to OZ, some spoiled, and if there is a long siege, then some will of course not be made at all. Still, your rationing scheme beginning now is the way to go and should keep things humming through the end if you stick to it.

With Miri and Pelembang (if damaged) you could be looking at 200-300k supplies just to get them back in order, and that is absolutely necessary. Sucks, but it has to happen. I wouldn't do refineries though. Not while there is a surplus in Japan. It's unlikely that they'll be wrecked anyway. Fingers crossed!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 448
RE: Back up and running in a few days. - 1/29/2013 8:36:58 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Thanks for the comments Erik and Tony. I've always struggled getting enough supply to Miri for repairs, but I seem to be doing a little better this time around. I'm just repairing the oil centres and the hardest part is keeping enough supply on hand to facilitate repairs. I'm preparing for a trashed Palembang and will provide enough supply for repairs.

A couple things of note. I still have over 220k of fuel at Saigon and another 250k at Port Arthur. I have over 170k of oil at Oosthaven, 90k at Medan and over 200k at Port Arthur. So I do have some large amounts stockpiled and just awaiting export to Japan. I'm able to draw fuel/oil to Fusan no problem, but I'm unable to stockpile resources at Fusan and it's becoming a problem. I wonder if expanding Keijo's and Port Arthur's HI upset things. It seems every major port in China and Korea has over 100k of resources available, but Fusan is at 0 and I seem to be drawing only what is produced daily. I'm 96% to a level 8 port so hopefully that will increase the resource draw away from Port Arthur and Keijo.

Thinking in terms of fuel use, I'm very wasteful. I always use more transports than is necessary to move troops around. I will begin to reduce the amount of shipping used to only what is required for non-amphibious operations in rear areas. Worrying about the possible destruction of fuel/oil from Palembang has at least made me look at ways to conserve fuel and be more efficient.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 449
RE: Back up and running in a few days. - 1/29/2013 9:02:55 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I'll finish up the turn for Jocke tonight and send it off.

I've ordered the first deliberate attack against Batavia. Early artillery bombardments have been effective destroying a number of squads daily, I hope this indicates the forts levels are not high and that perhaps the supply situation isn't great for the defenders.

Looking at China, I think I have a really good chance of trapping another nine enemy LCU's. If I can, that will be 27 units in total that I've removed from the Chinese OOB without destroying them. It also most likely means that Liuchow and Kweilin will not be reinforced prior to assaulting these bases which is good for me. Being able to use the Liuchow to Changsha railway will be huge in economic terms.

I've begun shifting LBA towards Burma in preparation for air operations against Commonwealth forces. Navy LBA will concentrate in the Solomons and DEI for both offensive operations and preventing the Allies from getting an early foothold if I'm occupied elsewhere.

I've 400+ PP's saved up and may begin buying out elements of the 8th Division from the Kwangtung Army. I'm thin for combat LCU's in the Pacific and I think I should make a big push to capture Manila with bought out units. This would free up almost three divisions worth of troops and a large number of support units currently laying siege to the base. It's not going to be easy, but intensive bombing and naval bombardments should be able to reduce the available supply for defence. I've avoided using artillery bombardments to keep my troop strength a mystery so far.

Lots to do, but I'm a lot more focused on what needs priority and have begun putting things in motion to remedy some earlier mistakes. I'm restructuring much of how I do things in an effort to make up for lost time and conserve both fuel and supply.

Fun times...

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> April 9/42 Update Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI