Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/11/2013 5:35:28 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Here's a series of screenshots to try and provide information on my economy, production and R&D for PoultryLad. Anything not provided that you might also be interested in, please ask. Any explanation or reasoning for my production decisions feel free to ask as well. Advice always welcome as well.

First up is Aircraft R&D, and yes, it's a lot. I'm playing Japan on credit.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/11/2013 5:41:17 AM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 391
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/11/2013 5:36:53 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Regional Industry:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 392
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/11/2013 5:37:55 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Ship Production:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 393
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/11/2013 5:38:52 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Supply and Fuel:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 394
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/11/2013 5:39:29 AM   
SqzMyLemon

WitP Chart:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 395
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/11/2013 12:54:12 PM   
obvert

Looking good on the economy. Are you not planning to make any of the new tankers or fast merchant ships? Looks like merchant ships is where you're saving a lot of HI.

In my game in late 43 I am just now tapering off of merchant production. It's still higher than yours though unfortunately . I'm making a stockpile of tankers for the inevitable losses that will only get more critical. I'll mostly shut it off as these are built. I'm able to stockpile 5500 a day in HI now and that should go up soon as the merchants get shut off.

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/11/2013 1:04:41 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 396
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/11/2013 4:36:48 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Looking good on the economy. Are you not planning to make any of the new tankers or fast merchant ships? Looks like merchant ships is where you're saving a lot of HI.

Most definitely. My priority is to get as many combat vessels constructed early while they can still be effective in combat, hence the focus on BB Yamato, CV Taiho, DD's and the Unryu CV's. I may not build BB Musashi this time around though despite the fact I like my BB's. As naval shipyard points are freed up, I'll switch production to more merchant vessels with priority being the Type-1 TL Tankers. The merchant production queue is still in a state of flux.

At some point I will scale armament production way down so that will be additional HI savings which can be diverted to tanker production. I also tend to turn aircraft frame and engine production on and off periodically for flexibilty.

The main concern is obviously the huge supply expenditure for my aircraft R&D. I'll be expanding HI in China and captured HI centres until June 42 and then stopping. I want all my supply used for HI expansion paid back by April/44 so from that point on I'm in the black for supply. I strongly believe the early large scale investment in expansion will pay dividends later, but I also realize I've never gone into the late game and may be in store for a rude awakening. Time will tell.

Running the economy is often more fun for me than air or naval combat.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 397
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/11/2013 4:46:34 PM   
Chickenboy

SqzMyLemon,

Good stuff. I'll digest over the day from "work" and comment later. Thanks for taking the time to post!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 398
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/11/2013 4:55:01 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

Most definitely. My priority is to get as many combat vessels constructed early while they can still be effective in combat, hence the focus on BB Yamato, CV Taiho, DD's and the Unryu CV's. I may not build BB Musashi this time around though despite the fact I like my BB's. As naval shipyard points are freed up, I'll switch production to more merchant vessels with priority being the Type-1 TL Tankers. The merchant production queue is still in a state of flux.

At some point I will scale armament production way down so that will be additional HI savings which can be diverted to tanker production. I also tend to turn aircraft frame and engine production on and off periodically for flexibilty.

The main concern is obviously the huge supply expenditure for my aircraft R&D. I'll be expanding HI in China and captured HI centres until June 42 and then stopping. I want all my supply used for HI expansion paid back by April/44 so from that point on I'm in the black for supply. I strongly believe the early large scale investment in expansion will pay dividends later, but I also realize I've never gone into the late game and may be in store for a rude awakening. Time will tell.

Running the economy is often more fun for me than air or naval combat.

One thing I've begun to realize is that all of those expansions of HI early mean I have used a bit more fuel than I thought I would by this point. I'm going to have to really watch fleet moves carefully and make no unnecessary convoys.

I'm thinking of completely pulling out of the Aleutians to Adak and just getting the Kuriles ready with the rest of those forces. Same for Cent Pac. Although I've recently put units out there, by Spring 44 I may be pulling the plug and getting everything back both to use the units and not to have to supply them so far out.

If you can get the planes early enough to change the game and hold him back for a good amount of time, then the expenditure may be worth it. I like building the HI, and I'm glad I did as now I have a good stash of it for late game. There is always a compromise though, and that is the most interesting part of the Japanese side for me.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 399
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/11/2013 5:31:56 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

One thing I've begun to realize is that all of those expansions of HI early mean I have used a bit more fuel than I thought I would by this point. I'm going to have to really watch fleet moves carefully and make no unnecessary convoys.

Ah yes, I must not forget to factor in the increased fuel expenditure. Most of my HI expansion is in China which will be far easier to supply with fuel than the Home Islands and will hopefully remain out of enemy bomber range longer than the DEI. The key to sustaining my Chinese expansion will be access to Lanchow's production.

I should perhaps hold off on some increases right now until I take Palembang. I'm merrily humming along without taking into consideration the state of the facilities there upon capture. If they end up completely trashed that will change my economic plans drastically and use hundreds of thousands in supply to fix.

Thanks for reminding me to consider fuel. A needed reality check.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/11/2013 5:44:50 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 400
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/11/2013 5:43:20 PM   
GreyJoy

Yup, fuel is really a concern when u reach mid 1943. The KB alone is able to drink 2000 tons of fuel prt turn when travelling

I didn't expand any HI and i'm already struggling to keep the fuel levels at 2.5 millions ( ships included!!!)

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 401
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/13/2013 8:59:08 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Here's a series of screenshots to try and provide information on my economy, production and R&D for PoultryLad. Anything not provided that you might also be interested in, please ask. Any explanation or reasoning for my production decisions feel free to ask as well. Advice always welcome as well.

First up is Aircraft R&D, and yes, it's a lot. I'm playing Japan on credit.

Hi SqzMyLemon,

I apologize, but I'm having great difficulty reading this and differentiating between levels of research (research completed) and actual production. Plus, I missed any engine research / production too.

I don't use Tracker (I'm a luddite), so I rely on the game industry screens to show me *how* I'm bollocksing everything up.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 402
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/13/2013 9:02:29 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

WitP Chart:

Impressive HI build by April 1942.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 403
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/13/2013 9:05:19 PM   
Chickenboy

Why halt CVL Ryuho, SqzMyLemon?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 404
RE: Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 - 1/14/2013 4:22:46 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Why halt CVL Ryuho, SqzMyLemon?

I halted the CVL because her air groups don't arrive for some months after construction. I know I can use a few independent air units on the carrier instead, but I prefer using those in a training or LBA role.

No problem on the aircraft R&D Andre, I'll put something together clearly showing the exact numbers and status of my air production and R&D.

I'm investing heavily in aircraft this game. If I can somehow blunt the Allied air juggernaut, I may be able to hold out longer and support the navy that much better with strong LBA.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/14/2013 3:58:44 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 405
Next turn - 1/14/2013 4:32:11 AM   
SqzMyLemon

We've reached April 8/42 and there may be another slow period during Jocke's upcoming move. I will use that time to update what's going on.

I've crossed the river successfuly at Siangtan and routed four Chinese Corps. Changsha is flanked and enemy movement indicates movement at both Changsha and Hengyang. Possibly a major withdrawal? If so, that means Kweilin and Liuchow are in deep trouble.

I'm moving to begin operations against Batavia and just waiting for the rest of 33rd Division to rail up so the first assault can be launched.

I'll update soon and provide screens. China is going really well without major PP expenditure for additional restricted units. This is allowing me to spend the PP's on units for the Pacific instead.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 406
Just some thoughts - 1/14/2013 5:36:14 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I just received the CV Hiyo and was dismayed to see that her air groups can't resize for another 3 months or so, just like the other CV's. Apparently she can only field 36 aircraft out of a possible 53 in total. I can understand these limitations if I was playing a PDU off game to reflect the historic shortage of carrier aircraft and pilots, but should they still apply to a PDU on game when I can insure having both available?

I may remove her inherent air groups and replace them with two independent ones to allow me to utilize her full capacity. I'm guessing I'll have to do the same for CV Junyo when she arrives in a week.

In other news, the first 100k of fuel arrived safely in the Home Islands and what a relief to finally add to the reserve. I've begun accelerating a number of tankers to facilitate carrying capacity for late 42 and early 43.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 407
RE: Just some thoughts - 1/14/2013 5:53:51 PM   
House Stark

Do you have any 18 plane units which you can add to the CV? That would put you at 54/53 capacity, and planes should still fly right? Sounds simpler than having a bunch of tiny LBA units for a few months.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 408
RE: Just some thoughts - 1/14/2013 6:31:16 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: House Stark

Do you have any 18 plane units which you can add to the CV? That would put you at 54/53 capacity, and planes should still fly right? Sounds simpler than having a bunch of tiny LBA units for a few months.

That's an idea I hadn't thought of. The only thing is the strike groups are very small. I think there are less than 18 bombers in total. I may be better off resizing two groups, one of fighters the other DB's or TB's to give myself a better strike package or just turn it into a purely CAP capable CV. I'll check around to see what's available, but I just had to withdraw three Zero units of 9, 9 and 18 capacity. I'm not sure if there's a unit smaller than a 45 fighter capacity one at the moment.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/14/2013 6:34:41 PM >

(in reply to House Stark)
Post #: 409
RE: Just some thoughts - 1/14/2013 6:34:09 PM   
Chickenboy

I was thinking something along the same lines. Don't you have some fleet CVs undergoing radar upgrades right about now? Swap out their (larger) air units onto Junyo to 'mix and match' whilest they're undergoing repair.

Same way I'd approach CVL Ryuho, FWIW. I'd rather have her built and undermanned than not available at all.

(in reply to House Stark)
Post #: 410
RE: Next turn - 1/14/2013 9:31:08 PM   
obvert

quote:

We've reached April 8/42 and there may be another slow period during Jocke's upcoming move. I will use that time to update what's going on.

I've crossed the river successfuly at Siangtan and routed four Chinese Corps. Changsha is flanked and enemy movement indicates movement at both Changsha and Hengyang. Possibly a major withdrawal? If so, that means Kweilin and Liuchow are in deep trouble.

I'm moving to begin operations against Batavia and just waiting for the rest of 33rd Division to rail up so the first assault can be launched.

I'll update soon and provide screens. China is going really well without major PP expenditure for additional restricted units. This is allowing me to spend the PP's on units for the Pacific instead.

In the now at least temporarily resurrected game with Torsten, the IJA made the same move over the river to Siangtan. It certainly puts a hole in the Chinese defense. Make sure to see if he's got enough garrison at Chikhiang. If you can get that far it would be devastating. I guess with stacking limits though it all changes and things don't happen quite so fast.

Interesting to compare situations, as that game is now approaching April too.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 411
RE: Just some thoughts - 1/15/2013 4:26:34 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Same way I'd approach CVL Ryuho, FWIW. I'd rather have her built and undermanned than not available at all.

I've restarted CVL Ryuho due to persistent poultry peer pressure.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 412
RE: Next turn - 1/15/2013 4:57:32 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

In the now at least temporarily resurrected game with Torsten, the IJA made the same move over the river to Siangtan. It certainly puts a hole in the Chinese defense. Make sure to see if he's got enough garrison at Chihkiang. If you can get that far it would be devastating. I guess with stacking limits though it all changes and things don't happen quite so fast.

Interesting to compare situations, as that game is now approaching April too.

I'll recon Chihkiang this turn and see what's there. It's a race between a Japanese tank regiment (no need to specify Japanese in this case ) and a Chinese Corps to the rough woods hex directly S.E. of Chihkiang. I'm bombing the Chinese force, but if I can still get a full move from the armoured unit I'll win. We occupy the same hex and no ownership is indicated, so I don't know if that will affect my movement rate.

My impression of the stacking limits so far is that the lower the limit, the longer and harder it will be to capture a hex. In the north the stacking limit is 25k in a mountain hex, so room for a division and however many support units. Factor in the defensive terrain benefit and it could take awhile. Now imagine a base in 3x defensive terrain and high forts with a small stacking limit and you get an idea how difficult it could be. Bombing will be key to cause disruption and supply loss in order to clear a hex. I'll be trying to infiltrate the Chinese rear with smaller units and create any number of problems for Jocke. The larger limits might actually be more of a hindrance than benefit, but I will have to wait and see.

I may have to make a serious decision at some point. I'm advancing with a small number of divisions while at least 10 divisions currently contain enemy troops in two encirclements and contest Changsha in enough strength to hold. If I can continue to advance at the rate I am all is good, but if I get stuck I may have to elimiate these isolated pockets of troops in order to press forward.

I've sent off the next turn to Jocke and there may be a break for a few days while he prepares for his move. If so, I will update the China theatre with screens so you can see the current situation fully. I know Jocke doesn't like China and sees it as a free pass for a Japanese player, but so far I've done nothing special there. I think defending forward with the Chinese has allowed me to isolate a large number of enemy units and left gaping holes in the Chinese MLR allowing me to continue to isolate enemy units and defeat them in detail. It's going to get tougher, but I think I'll be able to keep using maneuver rather than just brute strength to gain an advantage.

I wonder, do I still receive VP's for Chinese units that wither by attrition, or must I defeat them in combat to gain the points? I want the points.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/15/2013 5:04:47 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 413
RE: Next turn - 1/15/2013 9:02:38 AM   
obvert

Good question about the points. Not sure if you get any when they just starve.

Yeah, I agree it looks much tougher with the limits.

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/15/2013 9:24:06 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 414
RE: Next turn - 1/15/2013 1:15:06 PM   
witpqs

You do get points when enemy troops starve. Destroyed is destroyed!

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 415
RE: Next turn - 1/15/2013 3:15:52 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

You do get points when enemy troops starve. Destroyed is destroyed!

Excellent news!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 416
Brief April 9/42 preview - 1/15/2013 3:40:46 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I'm trying something today that perhaps isn't necessary and could be costly at this point. I've ordered a naval bombardment of Batavia with two BB's based at Toboali. The TF includes two DMS's which will hopefully clear some of the mines during the mission. The bombardment range is set to 12k to lesson the risk to the DMS's. I've also ordered a small SCTF of two TB's to try and attack small patrol craft indicated at Batavia prior to the bombardment. I've set orders for a naval air strike against Batavia against any remaining patrol craft and there will also be a major bombing raid against the airbase. I'm throwing everything I have at Batavia to soften up the base prior to the ground assault in a few days.

I don't really need to do this, but I want to send a message that I'm willing to risk engaging heavily defended bases with CD guns, mines and PT's with naval and air units. I hope to instill a sense of insecurity, that nothing is beyond reach or should be considered secure despite apparently formidable defences. It may not, but willing to try.

I recently employed a naval bombardment against Manila and got good results despite a CS hitting a mine. Damage to the CS was light and no damage was suffered from defensive CD guns.

Other than that, just awaiting the turn to see if my armour unit in China is able to occupy the rough terrain hex S.E. of Chihkiang ahead of the Chinese and block that escape route while the infantry rush to catch up. I'm also waiting to see how many troops are leaving Hengyang and if they indeed appear to be marching to Kweilin along the main road, which I've blocked with the 104th Division. If I can cut off another nine enemy LCU's trying to escape from Hengyang that could leave the Chinese very short of troops in the south.

I forgot to mention, the Port Blair invasion force set sail from Medan the day before and was spotted two days sail from reaching Port Blair. The entire 21st Division will make the assault and should be enough to overwhelm the defence. I moved in submarines to screen for any Allied naval activity and a number of Nell units are set to naval attack missions well beyond the range of Port Blair.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/15/2013 8:36:50 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 417
RE: Brief April 9/42 preview - 1/15/2013 3:51:45 PM   
Chickenboy

If given an option, I'd prefer not to bombard bases that are heavily mined, as a 'good' hit can put a capital ship out of action for some time. In a recent game, Mutsu bashed Wake before my troops liberated it, but hit either a Mk. 10 or Mk. 12 mine. She's in dry docks for the next 83 days now.

Still, I had no land route into Wake like you do for Batavia. I'd forego naval bombardment in exchange for additional IJAAF LBA beating on the LCUs in the hex. A few days of this can do wonders for their disruption and readiness at comparatively limited long-term risk for your navy readiness.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 418
RE: Brief April 9/42 preview - 1/15/2013 4:16:15 PM   
SqzMyLemon

All good points. In my experience though, other than China, Japanese LBA just can't be relied on to cause enough disruption or damage to a base consistently to be effective. From what I gather, DaBabes has further reduced the effectiveness of bombing damage so that makes Japanese bombers even less effective in a suppression role than stock AE.

However, my experience with naval bombardments is different. If done right and you get a good roll they are devastating to facilities and defending troops. I'm willing to risk damage or loss at this stage in order to hammer Batavia quickly and move on. It sends a message and maybe it's old school, but nothing beats a good naval bombardment in my books.

Of course, if I do hit a few mines it will suck, but nothing that can't be overcome at this stage and Singapore can repair any damage sustained. I always expand Singapore's naval repair facilities to 100 to accomodate the largest ships and avoid having to sail back to Japan for all but the heaviest damage.

Let's see if I get lucky.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/15/2013 8:36:18 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 419
RE: Brief April 9/42 preview - 1/15/2013 6:37:01 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I so don't want to work today as my numerous posts on other threads and AAR's indicates.

Is it 5 o'clock yet!

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Industry screenshots for CB as of 040142 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI