Matrix Games Forums

New screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!Space Program Manager will be launching on Steam
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

*********** from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH please.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> *********** from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH please. Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
*********** from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH please. - 8/10/2012 2:42:37 AM   
JeffK

It was mentioned that it could be interesting for us Monday Morning Coaches to pull apart the strategies of both CR and PJH.
This is a CR & PJH free zone so feel free to be abusive about both of their strategies!

PS I forgot to state the bleeding obvious, please keep anything you see here BIGOT.
I found it interesting to read CR's fears about PJH's potential moves and look at what PJH was intending to do.
IMVHO CR was playing his last game more than playig the current situation.

But, the game allows for an IJN strike into the Socatra, Diego Garcia area far more easily than IRL so maybe it being prudent.

I think something is about to break (without reading too much of PJH's AAR), who will it be??

< Message edited by JeffK -- 8/12/2012 7:44:17 AM >

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Post #: 1
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 4:14:20 AM   
Ingtar

I am feeling some of the same uncertainty they both seem to feel. It seems that they both might be showing fear for the other.

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 2
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 4:31:28 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ingtar

I am feeling some of the same uncertainty they both seem to feel. It seems that they both might be showing fear for the other.

I think it is respect rather than fear ..

Very early on in CR's AAR I commented that the IJ were looking for maxium VP's in the most dense areas of thte map. Alaska being a very dense VP area for the IJ when the ports and the airfields are built up. I find it interesting that the IJ mistakenly thought that bombing India would yield VP's. It is becoming more clear that the IJ's strategy is based on instant victory conditions and not so much on lasting until '46. The IJ might pull it off ...

Patients and providers of healthcare win with interprofessional practice http://ipep.arizona.edu/blog

(in reply to Ingtar)
Post #: 3
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 4:32:23 AM   
JeffK

It could ne a healthy respect for each other.

Its also a part of the game I dislike, knowing each others capabilities and falling back to cover the strategic points.

Plus both play a bit gamey though CR now uses DD's as a picket line. I could just imagine IRL the morale of his DD crews, " HMS Thanet, go out and let us know if the KB is coming!!"

(in reply to Ingtar)
Post #: 4
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 6:20:19 AM   
John 3rd

The whole picket line concept drives me nuts. Totally agree with Jeff on that.

Agree that knowing so much about an opponent makes it easier to plans moves and countermoves.

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 5
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 6:20:53 AM   
Bullwinkle58

I don't think CR likes my Zen-like comments. Hard to say anything when reading both. Alfred as well has tried to tell him that PH plays in Nemo's way and he should maybe open the apperture a bit more. CR's continued inability to see NoPac as anything but a bother may lose him the game. PH's just announced plans up there are pretty brilliant if they work. When the KB shows up in NoPac AGAIN CR is going to have twins.

The Moose

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 6
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 6:22:44 AM   
John 3rd

...maybe triplets...

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 7
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 9:36:55 AM   
JeffK

PJH is investing a lot on CR playing for points, which historically he hasnt,

I wouldnt bother with Nopac unless it was being a nuisance, and i doubt the JFB can create enough of a nuisance from the air.

If CR could sink a bit of KB off India and hold OZ and India he might decide to do a sub blockade of Alaska and let it wither on the vine. To me there are too many landings needed which for the next 12 mths are too hard for the AFB to attempt, maybe PJB should have left abridgehead to land at.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 8
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 11:00:23 AM   
HansBolter

He also just stated the CR can get points in either India or Alaska and that he came make it very tough in both places, but overlooks the propensity CR has shown in other games for the DEI. If PJH has his BBs and the KB in the Alaska region the DEI could be very ripe for the picking. Especially with CR already holding a prime staging base in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

Hans

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 9
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 5:48:44 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

PJH is investing a lot on CR playing for points, which historically he hasnt,

I wouldnt bother with Nopac unless it was being a nuisance, and i doubt the JFB can create enough of a nuisance from the air.

If CR could sink a bit of KB off India and hold OZ and India he might decide to do a sub blockade of Alaska and let it wither on the vine. To me there are too many landings needed which for the next 12 mths are too hard for the AFB to attempt, maybe PJB should have left abridgehead to land at.

I think you have to play for points if you want to win as Japan. It's a game with carefully engineered balances resting on VPs. I can't see PH playing for anything but the win.

NoPac is more than a nuisance and less than the main effort, but it's a VP factory if done well. While it's active CR has to keep a substantial set of scarce 1942 forces around there. Witness his decisions on what to do with his carriers. PH has used minimal carrier assets to roam up and down the WC beating on pots while the larger balance headed to the IO. CR suffers from "definition disease." If he calls something "the KB" in his mind that means a defined set of assets. PH has no trouble separating his carriers and using dogmeat ships to look like fleet carriers off the WC. Look back at CR's posts; right up until the day Chitagong became the apparent target he was still saying "the KB" was off the WC. And he's still doing it now in the IO even as PH may have begun the transfer to NoPAc once more.

Similarly, he wants PH to "come for" (another label) Oz or greater India where grand battles can be fought so he rejects any other targets. I gently suggested there could be four, five, or six targets and he curtly responded, speaking of New Zealand. Huh? PH holds Alsaka and he's talking about New Zealand?

Gonna be triplets at least.

Finally, Im surprised CR hasn't made more hay of the non-dud torpedoes he has. The sub war has been a snooze. When you have good fish in 1942 using subs as pickets is a waste. They should be inside harbors and up the Inland Sea reaping ships like Death itself. The IJN ASW ratings are at '2''. Lose some subs, but get into the Japanese economy now. But I'm not seeing it. Maybe it's under-reported.

The Moose

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 10
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 6:07:57 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
NoPac is more than a nuisance and less than the main effort, but it's a VP factory if done well. While it's active CR has to keep a substantial set of scarce 1942 forces around there. Witness his decisions on what to do with his carriers. PH has used minimal carrier assets to roam up and down the WC beating on pots while the larger balance headed to the IO. CR suffers from "definition disease." If he calls something "the KB" in his mind that means a defined set of assets. PH has no trouble separating his carriers and using dogmeat ships to look like fleet carriers off the WC. Look back at CR's posts; right up until the day Chitagong became the apparent target he was still saying "the KB" was off the WC. And he's still doing it now in the IO even as PH may have begun the transfer to NoPAc once more.

Finally, Im surprised CR hasn't made more hay of the non-dud torpedoes he has. The sub war has been a snooze. When you have good fish in 1942 using subs as pickets is a waste. They should be inside harbors and up the Inland Sea reaping ships like Death itself. The IJN ASW ratings are at '2''. Lose some subs, but get into the Japanese economy now. But I'm not seeing it. Maybe it's under-reported.

Hehe, those 2 points have perplexed me too. Its not that it hasnt merits splitting his CV force split up, but he is some what predictable on that. He would have had chances to do some real damaged if he had them gathered. Either at WC or Indian ocean. Ok its easy to say having read both AARs knowing whats going on. Non the less being predictable on this could very well have influences PJHs "shoe-string" operation at Chittagong.

Yeah with the torp working i would have expected to see more sub frenzy. Doesnt seem he has sunk more than what i see in other AARs with out. I could be underreported as u say but looking at it, it seems most have comed from surface to surface actions like at PM of as lately.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/10/2012 6:33:37 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 6:25:46 PM   
paullus99

Canoe doesn't seem to report his sub victories, though he has hinted that he's done fairly well on merchants to this point. I agree though, he should be taking advantage of his working torps & flooding the home waters to intercept anything that looks like a tanker.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 12
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 6:42:43 PM   
Cribtop

Until very recently I believed PJH was out-thinking himself and getting too cute. Two recent developments have changed my mind. First, PJH is about to maneuver CR out of Sian and Lanchow without really firing a shot. The supply implications of this are huge. Second, PJH detailing his plans to jump an invasion of dangled "bait" bases in the Aleutians cross-referenced with CR's recent post that he is considering just such an invasion covered by 2 USN fleet CVs. If PJH shows a few trash CVs in the IO convincingly at the right time, CR may just walk right into a mess up there.

PS Love this thread. Don't forget to tell CR and GreyJoy that any posts here count on CR's side of the ledger in the great post count race!

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 8/10/2012 6:44:06 PM >

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 13
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 8:03:15 PM   
witpqs

The errant trashing of two divisions meant to besiege Singapore is quite bad. It's unclear just why he was moving across the river with only two divisions, which is really the root of the problem.

The Aleutians plan is good, but it should be pretty obvious. I mean the part about nearby air bases being the jaws of a trap should be obvious. We'll see.

CR's best counter to the whole NorPac thing is less than a sure thing as he might not have time, might not have forces, and would certainly have to fight it our with PJH: seize the bases in the Aleutians that the Japanese air units need as transfer bases so they are trapped against the West Coast.

It'll be interesting to see if PJH can capture Calcutta. CR sure has a lot of reinforcements in/heading for India.

Building up Socotra (Scoodra? ) is OK on the stock map, but on the extended map there are other bases that can be used to cut off India via the Gulf of Arabia. Also, in a patch the activation of emergency reinforcements for India was changed so that it includes the country code for the cluster of bases that includes Socotra. Land at Socotra, Masirah, or the other bases (and their land masses) now and it triggers the emergency reinforcements.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 14
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 8:38:20 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Building up Socotra (Scoodra? ) is OK on the stock map, but on the extended map there are other bases that can be used to cut off India via the Gulf of Arabia. Also, in a patch the activation of emergency reinforcements for India was changed so that it includes the country code for the cluster of bases that includes Socotra. Land at Socotra, Masirah, or the other bases (and their land masses) now and it triggers the emergency reinforcements.

I don't know if PH knows that after he missed the bit in the manual about strat bombing.

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 15
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 8:38:56 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

The Aleutians plan is good, but it should be pretty obvious. I mean the part about nearby air bases being the jaws of a trap should be obvious. We'll see.

This thread is a great idea. I haven't felt free to comment much on either AAR since I gave PJH the idea of the NoPac invasion. (although to be fair, I suggested he bomb the factories in Seattle, which has not been PJH's plan.)

Hmm. Whether the airbases are a trap depends a whole lot on the weather. There is a risk that a lightning invasion during a storm could trap one or more daitais on the ground. One of the many things that make this game interesting. That being said, I think CR pretty much has to take those bases back at some point; he can't afford Japanese submarine bases that close to the West Coast when it's time to push the counter-offensive.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 16
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 8:41:13 PM   
Cribtop

I agree that Singers was an unforced error by PJH. As for NOPAC, yeah, it is kind of obvious, but it makes me nervous that CR is openly contemplating exactly what PJH wants him to do. Then again, Dan's essence is constantly reading the tea leaves while slowly assembling forces for plans he is quite happy to back out of or abandon altogether. Many players allow inertia to drag them on with plans regardless of the warning signs. Time will tell whether CR's particular skills serve him well and cause him to pull his hand back from the fire.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 17
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/10/2012 8:48:21 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Until very recently I believed PJH was out-thinking himself and getting too cute. Two recent developments have changed my mind. First, PJH is about to maneuver CR out of Sian and Lanchow without really firing a shot. The supply implications of this are huge. Second, PJH detailing his plans to jump an invasion of dangled "bait" bases in the Aleutians cross-referenced with CR's recent post that he is considering just such an invasion covered by 2 USN fleet CVs. If PJH shows a few trash CVs in the IO convincingly at the right time, CR may just walk right into a mess up there.

PS Love this thread. Don't forget to tell CR and GreyJoy that any posts here count on CR's side of the ledger in the great post count race!

PH does do elaborate feint systems, but CR loves him some feints and PH is a Nemo disciple. I thought the original China plan was masterful, but doubted it could be pulled off on the ground. I'm in awe of anyone who can fight well in China; I find it a morass of slow-moiving mistakes when I play.

The Aleutians bait plan will be great to watch if CR bites. One problem might be that CR is busy sending all his free LCUs off to backwaters like Scoooooodra and Ceylon, leaving little to land on Aleutian rocks. But you have to admit that PH is well inside the Nemo-esque OODA loop. CR is in total react mode.

Speaking for Alfred, who I don't think will play here as he does not read PH's AAR, he tried to prod CR to look outside China for a reaction point after the Japanese division census. CR seemed to take it as a hint to look around the Chinese mountains for a flanking opportunity. I think Alfred was referring more to a Singapore breakout and a rampage north in Malaysia. If CR mustered his RN carriers, heavy RN gunners, and about 50-70 xAKs through CT (merchants which he can afford to lose) he could ram at least 50% of the supply through to Singers where it would unload very quickly. He could then try to break out, knowing pretty well that PH's cupboard is bare of heavy LCUs to respond (Bataan is the closest and they're somewhat beat up.) Going medeival on PH's behind at Singers is something Nemo would think of. Sending medium-heavy LCUs to sit on Scoooooooooodra while the nearest war is east of Calcutta is not.

The Moose

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 18
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 1:00:01 AM   
JeffK

While I dont understand the emphasis on Socotra and havent used the extended map since it came out I really doubt the sense of a massive Singapore gambit.

The troops there are not the best and they will face a shock attack crossing the straights.

And where do they go? A long winding road up the Malay Peninsula and even further to Bankok before you would make PJH worry.

The comments about KB off the West Coast are interesting, I thought the numbers were light and I queried if it might be mini KB.

You are correct about CR's fixations, but they have borne fruit in his past games, maybe they provide determination and maybe become a self fulfilling truth if hid opponent reacts.

I would like to see CR try some odd tactics, what will unsettle PJH. (Land on Hokkaido?? Maybe a bit early) It would have to be against a target PJH cant ignore. (If you were going to land supply at Singapore, why not try for Palembang??)

Post #: 19
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 1:46:08 AM   
Alfred

quote:

While I dont understand the emphasis on Socotra and havent used the extended map since it came out I really doubt the sense of a massive Singapore gambit.

The troops there are not the best and they will face a shock attack crossing the straights.

And where do they go? A long winding road up the Malay Peninsula and even further to Bankok before you would make PJH worry.

The comments about KB off the West Coast are interesting, I thought the numbers were light and I queried if it might be mini KB.

You are correct about CR's fixations, but they have borne fruit in his past games, maybe they provide determination and maybe become a self fulfilling truth if hid opponent reacts.

I would like to see CR try some odd tactics, what will unsettle PJH. (Land on Hokkaido?? Maybe a bit early) It would have to be against a target PJH cant ignore. (If you were going to land supply at Singapore, why not try for Palembang??)

A Singapore breakout, which should have been prepared for from the moment it became obvious Japan was not targetting its capture as a high priority, has many advantages.

1. The Allied troops are already in situ. They are not in situ at Palembang.

2. Those troops are of a much higher overall quality than the Allied Burma Army. The Australian troops are good, the two Indian divisions, once assembled, only need rest time to recover morale and do some training. They have had that opportunity. Very importantly there are several artillery and AA units present which means they can operate without air support to a much greater degree than can any other British/Commonwealt assembled force at this time of the war. Also do not underestimate the value of all those support squads in the numerous HQs.

3. The breakout would be largely hitting thin air. However so much time has elapsed that Japan has been given time to bring in sufficient new divisions to now allow, and only now, the actual investment of Singapore.

4. The key bases in Malaya which Japan is utilising to support its naval operations in the Bay of Bengal lie on good communication lines. Against limited combat opposition the Allied forces would advance quite rapidly. The advance does not have to reach Rangoon or Bangkok to sever Japan's currently isolated from each other forces in Assam and lower Burma. PH would have to scramble forces from somewhere to cover his LOCs. Personally I doubt he has any strategic reserve at the moment, thus some operation would have to be stripped of forces to meet the threat. As it is, Singapore was a huge Allied POW camp contributing absolutely nothing to the prosecution of the Allied war effort; all achieved without a single Japanese prison guard.

5. Moving to Palembang is not so good because:

(a) fresh forces from somewhere would be necessary (unlike Singapore where they already exist in situ)
(b) no significant overland bases are threatened which is the complete opposite situation regarding Singapore
(c) thus only air operations out of Palembang would be dangerous. The airfield is too small for efficient 4E use, unlike Singapore
(d) Palembang's port is far smaller than Singapore's and that has serious ramifications in terms of unloading speed and attendant ship losses (not to mention the then necessary ship repair and reloading facilities). Plus access to it is limited which restricts the basing of heavy naval assets out of Palembang
(e) the Singapore breakout creates a reasonably secure Allied SLOC to Singapore. Recapture of Palembang itself does not create a similarly secure SLOC

Alfred

< Message edited by Alfred -- 8/11/2012 1:56:18 AM >

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 20
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 3:12:53 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

As it is, Singapore was a huge Allied POW camp contributing absolutely nothing to the prosecution of the Allied war effort; all achieved without a single Japanese prison guard.

Right! What was the purpose of sending only two divisions? They got mauled for nothing. Could they and the forces with them hold back a breakout from Singapore? I don't know what is there with them, or the full roster of what hunkered down in Singapore.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 21
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 4:15:16 AM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

As it is, Singapore was a huge Allied POW camp contributing absolutely nothing to the prosecution of the Allied war effort; all achieved without a single Japanese prison guard.

Right! What was the purpose of sending only two divisions? They got mauled for nothing. Could they and the forces with them hold back a breakout from Singapore? I don't know what is there with them, or the full roster of what hunkered down in Singapore.

I can only assume that more divisions ae following because 2 only should not suffice to capture Singapore. Better though would have been to send none across. Now, in the unlikely event that the Allied garrison could force the two intruders to retreat back across the causeway, the odds of a successful Allied crossing are considerably improved.

Alfred

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 22
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 4:20:12 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can only assume that more divisions ae following because 2 only should not suffice to capture Singapore. Better though would have been to send none across. Now, in the unlikely event that the Allied garrison could force the two intruders to retreat back across the causeway, the odds of a successful Allied crossing are considerably improved.

Alfred

Complete agreement - send none across unless there are enough crossing to do the job.

I gained the impression from PJH's post that only the HQ stayed across the river in Singapore, and that the two divisions fell back across the river during the failed crossing. I have seen units do that when REALLY smashed on a river crossing. If so, they must be in horrendous shape. I would only rely on whatever units are in hex with them.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 23
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 4:37:29 AM   
Alfred

witpqs,

I'm not reading the Japanese AAR and I don't recall Canoerebel mentioning the enemy had auto withdrawn. That being so, together with the HQ being the only unit in "reserve", now would be the perfect opportunity for the Singapore garrison to breakout, if it had been readied to do so. For Japanese units do not easily retreat and if they auto withdrew it means they were really very badly defeated with large numbers of disabled squads at least to be expected.

Alfred

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 24
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 5:41:46 AM   
Cribtop

In his AAR, PJH stated he messed up the orders because he was in a hurry to get the turn out. I don't think the two divisional crossing was intentional. That said, it would be a boon to CR if he's ready to take advantage.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 25
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 6:49:44 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

A Singapore breakout, which should have been prepared for from the moment it became obvious Japan was not targetting its capture as a high priority, has many advantages.

1. The Allied troops are already in situ. They are not in situ at Palembang.

2. Those troops are of a much higher overall quality than the Allied Burma Army. The Australian troops are good, the two Indian divisions, once assembled, only need rest time to recover morale and do some training. They have had that opportunity. Very importantly there are several artillery and AA units present which means they can operate without air support to a much greater degree than can any other British/Commonwealt assembled force at this time of the war. Also do not underestimate the value of all those support squads in the numerous HQs.

3. The breakout would be largely hitting thin air. However so much time has elapsed that Japan has been given time to bring in sufficient new divisions to now allow, and only now, the actual investment of Singapore.

4. The key bases in Malaya which Japan is utilising to support its naval operations in the Bay of Bengal lie on good communication lines. Against limited combat opposition the Allied forces would advance quite rapidly. The advance does not have to reach Rangoon or Bangkok to sever Japan's currently isolated from each other forces in Assam and lower Burma. PH would have to scramble forces from somewhere to cover his LOCs. Personally I doubt he has any strategic reserve at the moment, thus some operation would have to be stripped of forces to meet the threat. As it is, Singapore was a huge Allied POW camp contributing absolutely nothing to the prosecution of the Allied war effort; all achieved without a single Japanese prison guard.

5. Moving to Palembang is not so good because:

(a) fresh forces from somewhere would be necessary (unlike Singapore where they already exist in situ)
(b) no significant overland bases are threatened which is the complete opposite situation regarding Singapore
(c) thus only air operations out of Palembang would be dangerous. The airfield is too small for efficient 4E use, unlike Singapore
(d) Palembang's port is far smaller than Singapore's and that has serious ramifications in terms of unloading speed and attendant ship losses (not to mention the then necessary ship repair and reloading facilities). Plus access to it is limited which restricts the basing of heavy naval assets out of Palembang
(e) the Singapore breakout creates a reasonably secure Allied SLOC to Singapore. Recapture of Palembang itself does not create a similarly secure SLOC

Alfred

Good to see you here Alfred.

The comments on Palembang speak for themselves. Bad choice versus Singers.

On the troop levels, if a big ram is engineered to reach Singers it could be expanded a bit and some of the Allied forces currently being wasted in Oz, Ceylon, and Scoodra could be on xAPs and into Singers to beef up the break-through thrust. Supply is paramount, but extra AV is available, and in Malaysia could do some good VP-wise versus sitting in the aforementioned backwaters.

The northern goals as you say need not be Bangkok or Rangoon. A thrust to the height of Alor Star and Georgetown would take away some very large air bases, secure the western side and make Pt. Blair less vulnerable, remove air patrols to the west as well, and present opportunity for a turn east to take Kota Bharu. Siginificant additional supply capturing ought to be possible, as well as a push-back on a VP-ratio which is not running in the Allies' favor at the moment.

Possibly of the greatest import, such a move would make PH react for a change instead of CR dancing to the Japanese tune. And for relatively little additional risk.

The trap CR has fallen into is to assume that Singers must fall; the only question is when. PH's choice of strategic target priority has presented CR an opportunity to hold Singers for the duration, an event which places severe limitis on Japan's options in the sub-theater in 1943-44--shipyard-wise, strait transit-wise, and resource flow-wise. An Allied Singers makes Palembang and Medan untenable as longer-range 4Es come on line, as well as represent a VP-hedge fund and springboard to support re-taking Indo-China in the out years.

The Moose

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 26
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 7:22:40 AM   
JocMeister

I think CR is finally starting to realise what a mess China is for the Allies. "Where I was guardedly optimistic two weeks ago, I'm now guardedly pessimistic"

If CR superstack of 300k gets mauled I think there is a good chance he will loose China in 42.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 8/11/2012 7:24:45 AM >

Post #: 27
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 2:28:42 PM   
witpqs

Moose,

How would those forces actually get to Singapore at this time? They would all wind up on a diving expedition.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 28
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 6:53:14 PM   
Walloc

Poor CR, that last combat report in PJHs thread....

Rasmus

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 29
RE: War & Peas from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH p... - 8/11/2012 7:18:22 PM   
Justus2

I have a question, regarding CRs recent posts on using PPs for transferring units from Manchuria. I didn't want to bring it up in the AAR, as I haven't played PBEM so I don't really know how this would be taken. I know it is frequently listed as a House Rule in other PBEM/AARs, but this game they specifically did not, to me that would imply they accepted taht PP would not have to be paid? Conversely, did CR pay PP to move US forces into Canada? That seems to me to be a similar situation, right? I am not trying to blame either side, just wondering if I am understanding the issue.

Currently Playing:
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition (learning, not really playing ;) )
LST 325 Fanboy!

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> *********** from the peanut gallery - No CR or PJH please. Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI