Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulian (no abulbulian)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> After Action Reports >> Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulian (no abulbulian) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulian (n... - 8/9/2012 8:33:18 PM   
bwheatley

This will be the home of my AAR vs abulbulian as germany.

Step 1:

My first act as CiC i re-designated every unit to be based on a less confusing format.
#K for infantry korps
# PK for panzer korps

Our general strategy will be to a little haphazard this time as i'm not german mastermind. In my first AI games i tried hard to encircle vast swaths ala WITE. With shorter turns i will have to bite off smaller portions of the front at a time. The first couple turns will be critical.

I hope Abulbulian stays and fights so i can pocket. But if he follows the historic model that the soviets pulled back much more freely in 1942 then we shall chase them into the hinterland.

We're hoping we can convince hitler that we don't need stalingrad but use soviet rivers to protect our flanks for the drive to baku.

< Message edited by bwheatley -- 8/15/2012 4:49:51 PM >

-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Post #: 1
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 6:52:44 AM   
bwheatley

Reports are in for T1. Not sure how i did but

I killed 55K soviets with a lost myself of 15K.

I'll get some screenshots and start putting together reports tomorrow.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 2
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 7:49:44 AM   
olivier34

A new AAR ! Really cool. Do you want to keep your pps and use the prestige points that you could get to play the "no stalingrad card" ?
A lot of losses in the first turn. Have you attack the ennemy airfields ?

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 3
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 6:00:39 PM   
bwheatley

Yea a lot of losses I had actually played the first turn 75% of the way earlier then threw it into bitcasa to finish when i got home. But bitcasa ate it so i had to re-run the turn and this time the random rolls were less in my favor. I'm doign the screenshots now. :)
We have pbem protection off so we can both go back and do AAR shiz. Yea i attacked a few airfields with results less in my favor then last time i ran the turn. The luck of the draw.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to olivier34)
Post #: 4
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 6:52:47 PM   
bwheatley

Casualties

Well these look bad but when i re-opened the first game where abulbulian was germany he killed 51k and lost 12.5k.
So i feel like 55k-15.9k is still in the ballpark.

My general play style as germany typically turns towards attack attack attack (stalin style) and i'll make good progress until my losses start to compound and i lose the ability to push forward. From there is it the slow withdraw against the soviet rubber band. You just push as far as you can before the soviet rubber band eventually throws you back with force.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 5
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 6:53:22 PM   
bwheatley

Fighter Losses

5 to 1 i will take those any day of the week.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 6
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 7:13:41 PM   
bwheatley

Tank Losses

My first impression was **** that's a lot of losses 75(me)/15(him).
Though when i compared to ara's last game it was 65(him)/15(me) so i'm still in the ballpark.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 7
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 8:15:46 PM   
bwheatley

Northern Front
4th Panzer Army - Commander H. Hoth

General Situation - Attacking with 2nd Army towards the city of Voronezh. Bypassing enemy strong points to get into their rear and disrupt communications.

4th Panzer Korps - Commander W. Kempf
Opposition - 40A
GD PzD,24PzD - Advancing SE between RSJAWA and Stary-Oskol. Light resistance from 40A elements.

5th Panzer Korps - Commander E. Straube
Opposition - 40A,13A
82ID - Korp reserve biouvacing 10km north of Schigry for a few days to look for opportunities to exploit.
11PzD - Advancing SE with GD PzD,24PzD
385ID - Advancing east towards Kastornoye

6th Panzer Korps - Commander W. von Langermann
Opposition - 40A,13A
9PzD - Advancing NE towards Livny
3MotD - Advancing east towards Kastornoye
377ID - Attacking across the front to open exploit avenues for the 9PzD,3MotD

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 8
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 8:46:28 PM   
bwheatley

Northern Front
2nd Army - Commander H. von Salmuth

General Situation - Attacking with 4th Panzer Army towards the city of Voronezh. Bypassing enemy strong points to get into their rear and disrupt communications.

17th Korps - Commander E. Vierow
Opposition - 40A,13A
45ID - Attacking NE towards Livny
95ID - Advancing SE towards Tim to help contain a pocket of 2 soviet RD
299ID - 2 Regiments attacking NE towards Livny. 1 Regiment has moved East to help protect the flanks of the panzers.
654PzBn - Attacking east towards 40A
1SS.MotB - Attacked NE towards Livny. Then disengaged to the south to rest for the push to the East.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 9
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 9:23:51 PM   
bwheatley

6th Army - Commander F. Paulus

General Situation - Attacking all along the front

13th Korps - Commander W. Heitz
Opposition - 21A,13A
389ID,305ID,376ID - Attacking NE towards Korotscha to cut off retreat paths.

14th Korps - Commander W. von Seydlitz-Kurbach
Opposition - 38A,28A
62ID,71ID,297ID - Preparing to advance east after the bridge over the Oskol river is captured at Kupyansk
44ID,384ID - Attacking SE and secured the bridge over the Oskol at Kupyansk

15th Korps - Commander A. Hollidt
Opposition - 28A
113ID,79ID,294ID, - Attacking eastward to Valyuki

16th Korps - Commander H. von Obstfelder
Opposition - 40A,21A
57ID,168ID - Attacking across the front to open exploit avenues for mobile units.
75ID - Attacking across the front and pushing east towards Stary-Oskol

21st Korps - Commander G. Stumme
Opposition - 28A
23PzD,3PzD - Advancing NE towards Livny
336ID,29ID,100ID - Attacking across the front and pushing east towards Stary-Oskol

7th Panzer Korps - Commander E. Hell
Opposition - 40A,13A
16MotD - Advancing east towards Stary-Oskol
387ID - Attacking across the front to open exploit avenues for mobile units.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 10
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 9:36:20 PM   
bwheatley

1st Panzer Army - Commander E. von Kliest

General Situation - Attacking all along the front and trying to get closer to Rostov

1st Panzer Korps - Commander G. von Wietersheim
Opposition - 12A
14PzD,60MotD - Attacking NE towards Artemovsk.

2nd Panzer Korps - Commander L. G. von Schweppenburg
Opposition - 37A
22PzD,LahPzD,16PzD,191PzBn - Attacking NE towards Lisitchansk. We have left 2 encircled divisions behind us.

19th Korps - Commander M. de Angelis
Opposition - 28A
257ID,101ID - Attacking eastward to Lisitchansk
68ID - Korp reserve
97JD - Attacking NE towards Lisitchansk

22ndKorps - Commander K. Strecker
Opposition - 37A
1MtnD - Attacking eastward to Lisitchansk
2Rom.MtnD- Attacking NE to Lisitchansk

21st Korps - Commander G. Stumme
Opposition - 28A
23PzD,3PzD - Advancing NE towards Livny
336ID,29ID,100ID - Attacking across the front and pushing east towards Stary-Oskol

7th Panzer Korps - Commander E. Hell
Opposition - 40A,13A
16MotD - Advancing east towards Stary-Oskol
387ID - Attacking across the front to open exploit avenues for mobile units.

< Message edited by bwheatley -- 8/10/2012 9:37:44 PM >

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 11
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 9:48:20 PM   
bwheatley

17th Army - Commander R. Ruoff

General Situation - Attacking all along the front and trying to get closer to Rostov

18th Korps - Commander R. Konrad
Opposition - 18A
198ID,4MtnD - Attacking east into the foothills north of rostov.

20th Korps - Commander V. von Schwedler
Opposition - 37A
20ID,76ID,94ID - Attacking east between Lisitchansk in the north and Artemovsk in the south.
9ID - Attacking east towards Artemovsk

23rd Korps - Commander E. Ott
Opposition - 18A
111ID,370ID - Attacking NE towards Artemovsk
245PzBn - Korp reserve

3rd Panzer Korps - Commander F. Kirchner
Opposition - 56A,18A
298ID,73ID - Providing artillery support until the Trynka is breached
Wik.SS.PzD,SlovakMotD - Attacking eastward north of Rostov
125ID,13PzD- Attacking east breached the Trynka river and advancing towards Rostov

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 12
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 9:54:46 PM   
bwheatley

11th Army - Commander E. von Manstein

General Situation - Attacking towards Sevastopol

10th Korps - Commander E. Hansen
Opposition - CA
22ID,24ID,132ID,50ID,197PzBn,190PzBn,4xAR - Attacking SW into Sevastopol with heavy artillery support

11th Korps - Commander M. Fretter-Pico
Opposition - CA
72ID,170ID,28ID,249PzBn,4xAR - Attacking NW into Sevastopol with heavy artillery

12th Korps - Commander F. MattenKlott
Opposition - CA
46ID - Guarding the western side of the kerch peninsula. Training for possible seaborne invasion of the eastern side of the kerch peninsula.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 13
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 9:55:46 PM   
bwheatley

Note this time i diliberatly ignored minors since i still have some organization to do. And i was lazy. It took a lot to type all that up and make the templates so i'll finish the minors later.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 14
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 9:56:32 PM   
bwheatley

Also i think i'll keep these global updates to perhaps be every 3 turns (6 days) just to keep them from being too overwhelming for folks.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 15
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 10:02:33 PM   
rominet

Losses for each side would be interesting.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 16
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 10:07:16 PM   
bwheatley

It's at the top :)

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 17
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 10:11:21 PM   
bwheatley

Request for strategy conference

General Manstein kindly requests your attendance and input at a strategy conference to determine the best course of action for the 11A to take after the fall of Sevastopol.

Currently the thoughts are we can try to assault the east side of the kerch straits. Or we could leave one korps of romanian troops and move the bulk of the army NE to help with the assault on rostov.

Please respond with your constructive views on where our elite troops can be of most good.

With an invasion of the kerch we would have to be careful to strike when the soviet navy is least likely to interdict. Perhaps there is some sort of diversion that would help us in that regard.

Kindly,
E. Manstein

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 18
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 10:37:03 PM   
Keunert

Lieber Erich,

go to Rostov and support the siege of the city with your strength and your capable artillery. once Rostov falls, you will be needed to flood the plains before the caucasus.

Frederikus Von Sichelschnitt

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 19
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 11:36:54 PM   
starbuck310

11 Army to swing east of Rostov and threaten Stalingrad. Soviets will have to cover both options. This will split his forces and you gain the initiative and can decide on priority. I have 1 Pz Army support the drive on Stalingrad once it breaks out. Multiple directions of attacks overwhelm the Soviet command ability to respond. Be ready for 5th tank Army entry.

If he defends forward in a static defence break in with Inf Divs then pass the Pz Divs through the hole. If he tries a mobile defence keep Pz Divs in supply and use them to envelope and cut off enemy forces. A double envelopment will break his front. Create Pz Korps with 3 Pz or Motorised Div and some infantry. Support main attacks with air.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 20
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/10/2012 11:48:45 PM   
bwheatley

Good thinking. I was hoping to save up enough PP to avoid stalingrad. But unless the PP starts picking up I might never have enough PP for that.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to starbuck310)
Post #: 21
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/11/2012 4:48:20 AM   
krupp_88mm

quote:

Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulian (no abulbulian)

Greetings herr general. High command would like you to conduct a naval operation to unhinge the defense's of Rostov faster

My staff have extensive experience preparing naval operations, I ordered the production of a naval doctrinal plan for you. This operation requires you to play the 100pp naval assault card for Optimal impact, which will be well worth its cost and add the additional goal of accelerating a drive on Baku. But the operation retains flexibility and can be carried out without the card, if resources are not available.

The targeted date for this operation commencement is between turn 7-12

operational assault hubs: 2 Southern Kerch(with card only) 1 Northern Mariapol (with or without card)

Each operational assault hub will be fully prepared with

-defensive artillery emplacements, primarily 2 Kerch though (offensive ones placed at 2 Kerch).
-two landing flotillas each
-Support craft at each
-Airforces including fighters and divebombers.
-An korps or army headquarters for each landing force
-A division
-Anti aircraft guns either with the division or independent

Rear airfields will be staffed with level bombers and additional divebombers / fighters.

Air doctrine.

This operation requires airforces are flown to support it from the north a turn before the commencement. And preferably additional airforces prior to that to clear the soviet navy. Resigning their headquarters shouldn't be necessary.

Primary goal of fighters is the destruction of the soviet airforce prior to the landing assault, they will fly sweeps and recon to draw out the soviets and lower their readiness. if the soviets are not intercepting they will attack the planes on the ground from any spotted airbases. At the landing date they will all provide air cover on maximum intercept.

Primary goal of divebombers is the destruction of the soviet fleet, and during the operation attacking any opposing forces facing the landing.

Primary goal of level bombers is the destruction of the soviet fleet, the destruction of soviet airforces on the ground, additional recon.

Air transports should remain on station and on call to supply landing forces in the eventuality a port can not be secured immediately. And will fly in reinforcements once an airfield is captured.

Fleet doctrine.

Fleets are to remain in port at all times covered by defensive forces. Enemy fleets are to be harassed from air extensively and only engaged when they are close to port and with low readiness from air or naval attacks. Any soviet vessels that enter the sea of Azov are primary targets the intention of which is to turn the sea into German controlled waters. to facilitate this it will be necessary to remove the soviets port of Taman as a viable port.

Taman : Will be shelled from 2 Kerch by large caliber siege howitzers and other large caliber artillery, the intention is to sink any soviet vessels sheltering there, remove their reach from the sea of Azov and destroy the ports capacity to receive or send supply and forcing any soviet garrisons out of the city. the shelling must commence before the operation to be effected asap. The fleet is also to be re-based there under their cover asap. moving along the ports on the southern side of the peninsula from Alushta and Yalta.

From 2 Kerch under the artillery cover one half the fleet will be re-based to 1 Mariapol when the coast is clear, the fleet arriving when you play the naval reinforcements card will make its way to 2 Kerch under cover of Romanian naval escorts and aircover, following the ports again, the reinforced fleet should arrive at 2 Kerch roughly the same time the original fleet reaches 1 Mariapol.

Land force doctrine:

The divisions will be placed at the embarkation points, inside or outside the port they don't have to embark from the port if the have ap's left. The remainder that are not of immediate vitality to the attack will be placed guarding key supply points and as an emergency quick reaction force, they will remain within reach of rail transport at all times so they can be ferried to the ports for pick up when needed.

Primary assault(s):

The primary assault(s) will retain strategic flexibility and come in two main axis with a naval card, or one axis without. Northern landing zones from 1 Mariapol and southern landing zones from 2 Kerch.

Northern landing zones:

Primary Target Yeisk
Alternate target: Prihorsko, Azov

Northern landing will have Yeisk as the primary target. Two secondary targets available as alternate locations if the primary proves untenable or obsolete. The goal of this northern landing operation is to unhinge and envelop Rostov. Each port should be reconnoitered before landing to determine which target is favorable. The fleet with troops will need to end its turn prior to attack outside the port so it can affect a landing in one turn. You will envelop the port if garrisoned from the rear, and leave naval forces blockading the port entrance to prevent resupply by sea as well as guarding transports. The landing force must take anti aircraft guns either with the landing division or independent for additional air protection, all fighters will be placed on max intercept during the landing phase after being rested. After the port is out of supply if garrisoned it will be stormed from land after air attack. After the port is taken we estimate we can ferry about two divisions to the port as reinforcements every two turns.

Time for launching operation Earlier the better to unhinge Rostov. IF any of the ports are weakly garrisoned, or if the soviet navy is neutralized from the sea ahead of time this operation can launch early and or before the Southern landing operation, or alternatively, by itself without the naval reinforcement card.

Southern landing zones: (with naval reinforcement card)

Primary Target: Taman
Alternate targets: Prihorsko, Novorossik

Southern landing will have Taman as the primary target. Two secondary targets available as alternate locations if the primary proves untenable or obsolete. The goal of this Southern landing operation is to Provide cover for the southern flank of the northern landing zone, and to launch a drive to Baku earlier, as well as serving as a strategic base for further naval operations in the Black sea. Each port should be reconnoitered before landing to determine which target is favorable. The fleet with troops will need to end its turn prior to attack outside the port so it can affect a landing in one turn. You will envelop the port if garrisoned from the rear, and leave naval forces blockading the port entrance to prevent resupply by sea as well as guarding transports. The landing force must take anti aircraft guns either with the landing division or independent for additional air protection, all fighters will be placed on max intercept during the landing phase after being rested. After the port is out of supply if garrisoned it will be stormed from land after air attack. After the port is taken we estimate we can ferry about two divisions to the port as reinforcements every two turns safe from naval interdiction.

Commanders: Each primary assault will have at least one korps assigned. Commanders with the resupply card should be assigned if available. These generals will save their command points up prior to the landing assault, they can use the points to attack any roadblocks or ports, or offer resupply or movement bonus'. The headquarters should embark with the primary assault to give immediate command bonus if opposition is expected.

The earlier the operation can be launched the better. Preparations are to begin immediately.

High command trusts in you Herr general do not disappoint us.

< Message edited by krupp_88mm -- 8/11/2012 5:28:17 AM >

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 22
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/11/2012 5:54:25 AM   
bwheatley

Impressive plan Herr General. It was even more ambitious than i had even planned. I'm reviewing it now and will look into the logistics. We had hoped to secure the 2nd half of the straits and this would even threaten Rostov with the northern landings.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to krupp_88mm)
Post #: 23
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/11/2012 7:22:56 AM   
starbuck310

The Soviet player has quite large Naval forces I would simply interdict your supply lines. The AI did this when I tried a similar plan. Got my troops ashore but lost the supply line. I would also suggest that the above lacks concentration of force. Too many objectives for the forces available. As I said with 17, 11 and 1 Pz Army you should be able to capture one major objective if not two. There also tends to be less objectives in the North. I often find I have too attack in a south eastwards direction to provide freedom of manoeuvre.

I think case blue has two main objectives. Industrial, the oil fields in the south and political/morale city of Stalingrad. Either objective could be deemed to be supporting the wider grand strategic objective of winning the war. I favour taking Stalingrad because of its historical and strategic importance. The political consequences of losing Stalingrad could have been pivotal for Stalin. I think if you ignore Stalingrad then you should be driving hard to the south for the oil.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 24
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/11/2012 7:28:56 AM   
rominet

quote:

ORIGINAL: bwheatley

Oups sorry, i had missed.

So, 56 K losses inflicted against 16 K losses sustained.

In only 1 turn (2 days), but it is huge.
Where am i wrong?

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 25
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/11/2012 10:39:12 AM   
Keunert

The Pony plan is a recipe for desaster. with all due respect.
you would have to sneak your ships from Odessa to your ports without losing them
then you would need time to do the operations without them sinking them
and then you need open sea lines for supply to arrive.

if your ennemy is as good as you say, i would not do it.
it's like making a tank drive trough the ardennes without room to manoeuver and without roads for supply.

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 26
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/11/2012 7:41:26 PM   
bwheatley

quote:

ORIGINAL: rominet

quote:

ORIGINAL: bwheatley

Oups sorry, i had missed.

So, 56 K losses inflicted against 16 K losses sustained.

In only 1 turn (2 days), but it is huge.
Where am i wrong?

Heh yea i'm not as good a german as he is apparently. In our other game (me as soviets) T1 he killed 80k for 11k losses. OH well i have a long war ahead of me. :)

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 27
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/11/2012 7:44:09 PM   
bwheatley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

you would have to sneak your ships from Odessa to your ports without losing them
and then you need open sea lines for supply to arrive.

if your ennemy is as good as you say, i would not do it.
it's like making a tank drive trough the ardennes without room to manoeuver and without roads for supply.

Good point..yea with my war game exercises (AI testing against a soviet AI) it's asking a lot to have 100PP to buy the extra navy card. And even with the extra naval forces we can sneak in we were unable to go toe to toe with the Red Navy. I think the only thing we'll be able to do is a landing at ASOV to unhinge Rostov. Or just go right across the kerch strait. I wonder if even a small raid would be enough to divert sufficient communist resources to allow a better push.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 28
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/11/2012 8:25:20 PM   
krupp_88mm

quote:

The details of the plan direct, albeit maybe poorly; (punishment will be administered to the originators of unclear orders) how the navy will move under cover of land based artillery and air. Going from port to port within one turn of each-other. Allowing the force to slip past the soviet navy. Sneaking isn't necessary with Damocles divebombers hanging over the Russian head.

quote:

The reason the northern target was chosen as the priority target; was so that the soviets could not reach and sink them during the operation. If the enemy vessels can be kept out of the Azov, only one turn they must expose themselves outside cover. Than forces return back to port. After the first landing captures the port on the turn you transport fleet is reloading. The transports can unload their next shipment in the safety of the captured port with defensive artillery emplacements.

quote:

then you need open sea lines for supply to arrive.

The soviets can only interdict the supply lines of the northern target by

1 Bombing the port. This is regarded eventuality with aa cover and extensive fighter cover.

2 Naval blockade directly in front of the port. Note the supply will flow naturally form Mariapol. This eventuality is protected by the pre-condition of clearing the azov of soviet naval power from air harassment. My staff believe it would be very costly to the Russians out of port, out of aircover; and potentially within range of artillery fire and naval counter attack preferable for multiple turns. Under this possible reality my staff recommends sinking them at all cost with airpower to facilitate easier landings further south towards Baku after kerch is taken next. With the naval card Naval offensive and defensive force can be concentrated at kerch, with new reinforcements, and all under cover of massive guns that would severely punish any soviet intervention. Hopefully airpower could force the soviets to keep a healthy distance from interdiction. Naval losses are expected, that is why the reinforcement card is required. And blockading of the kerch - Taman straight will be either poorly effectual and harassed via air. or will be effectual, but have the ships devastated under artillery fire. My staff regards either outcome as favorable to future operational advantage.

quote:

I would also suggest that the above lacks concentration of force. Too many objectives for the forces available.
the northern operation has a singular objective unhinging Rostov, and retains flexible alternative goals, maybe the map is confusing with the alternate's and the priorities painted together?.

< Message edited by krupp_88mm -- 8/11/2012 8:29:21 PM >

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 29
RE: Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulia... - 8/15/2012 4:45:27 PM   
bwheatley

T2 -

Casualties inflicted

Casualties sustained

Situation Map

North

Center

As you can see 21A 28A and some of 40A tried to stay close and fight and we clamped the jaws down on top of them.
Getting to Lisitchansk is taking awhile due to poor terrain.

South
Rostov looks like we will have to take via a left hook.

Sevatopol
We are inching ever closer to the city proper. But will we take the city before it is evacuated.

< Message edited by bwheatley -- 8/15/2012 4:48:09 PM >

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to krupp_88mm)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> After Action Reports >> Case Blue: Bwheatley vs 'The Russian Rat' abulbulian (no abulbulian) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI