Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arrival of new units under the new turn rules

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Arrival of new units under the new turn rules Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arrival of new units under the new turn rules - 8/8/2012 10:18:15 PM   
LOK_32MK

The new turn rules for 3.4 balance the asymmetry between the two players. However, they have created an issue for one my scenarios that I am trying to solve.

Under the new rules, new units for the second player appear at the start of his turn.
Under the old rules, new units for the second player appeared at the start of the turn, i.e. they were deployed at the same time as the first player's turn.

That is fine except in situations when the first player exercises a theater option to attack a "neutral" country. Because the second player's units do not appear until second player's turn the first player has a "blank slate" during his turn i.e. there are no units to oppose his invading armies. Under the old rules the second player's units would have deployed at the start of the turn and prevented the occupation of crucial hexes.
This may lead to unintended event triggers like the surrender of a country when the capital is occupied.

There are several ways to get around the issue (more house rules, pre-deploy some units at crucial hexes etc.) but none of them are appealing.
I was wondering if anyone has come up with a good workaround. I like the new rules so I'd rather not turn them off in the Game play options.

thanks in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Arrival of new units under the new turn rules - 8/8/2012 10:33:54 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: LOK_32MK

The new turn rules for 3.4 balance the asymmetry between the two players. However, they have created an issue for one my scenarios that I am trying to solve.

Under the new rules, new units for the second player appear at the start of his turn.
Under the old rules, new units for the second player appeared at the start of the turn, i.e. they were deployed at the same time as the first player's turn.

That is fine except in situations when the first player exercises a theater option to attack a "neutral" country. Because the second player's units do not appear until second player's turn the first player has a "blank slate" during his turn i.e. there are no units to oppose his invading armies. Under the old rules the second player's units would have deployed at the start of the turn and prevented the occupation of crucial hexes.
This may lead to unintended event triggers like the surrender of a country when the capital is occupied.

There are several ways to get around the issue (more house rules, pre-deploy some units at crucial hexes etc.) but none of them are appealing.
I was wondering if anyone has come up with a good workaround. I like the new rules so I'd rather not turn them off in the Game play options.

There is an option for the designer: Require the TO to be exercised a turn earlier. Then, the second player's forces arrive on T+1, and any exclusion zone is removed on T+2.

This is an issue we'd like to make optional eventually, though. There are some situations (like you've noted) where it would be better to have them arrive at the start of the turn like it was before. But you should understand the rationale for doing it the new way: Player two's reinforcements would arrive - usually in a large stack on a map edge - and then be subjected to heavy air attack before he could spread them out into a less concentrated condition. The new way addressed that issue.

(in reply to LOK_32MK)
Post #: 2
RE: Arrival of new units under the new turn rules - 8/8/2012 10:42:33 PM   
LOK_32MK

I fully understand and support the rationale. That's why I do not want to turn them off.

I have considered using the option you outlined: The second player's forces arrive on T+1, and player 1 attacks on T+2. It requires a house rule since I have too many neutral countries to use exclusion zones. It's probably the best option. I was just hoping for a miracle :)

Thanks for the reply

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Arrival of new units under the new turn rules - 8/9/2012 3:55:19 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: LOK_32MK

I fully understand and support the rationale. That's why I do not want to turn them off.

I have considered using the option you outlined: The second player's forces arrive on T+1, and player 1 attacks on T+2. It requires a house rule since I have too many neutral countries to use exclusion zones. It's probably the best option. I was just hoping for a miracle :)

Well, don't you have to use a house rule anyway, if you don't have enough exclusion zones?

(in reply to LOK_32MK)
Post #: 4
RE: Arrival of new units under the new turn rules - 8/9/2012 2:43:37 PM   
LOK_32MK

Yes, I do have a house rule. It just needs to be modified - no big deal.
Only reason I was asking I liked the way the previous rules worked for the deployment: the second player's unit were "caught" in their initial deployments and were vulnerable to attacks but still prevented occupation of crucial hexes. I was thinking there may be another way that I missed.

I agree this is a very small price to pay. The new rules make sense and are preferable. Keep up the good work!

btw any news on 3.5?

< Message edited by LOK_32MK -- 8/9/2012 2:44:29 PM >

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Arrival of new units under the new turn rules Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI