Grand Campaign Unit Revisions (Update to v1.11.1, Mar 4 2013)

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

deducter

Grand Campaign Unit Revisions (Update to v1.11.1, Mar 4 2013)

Post by deducter »

March 4, 2013
Updated to v1.11.1, including GC45West!

This mod adjusts the unit stats for the released Panzer Corps Grand Campaigns 1939-1945. My intention is to make the units more balanced, historically accurate, and interesting, so that all units can serve a useful role in the player’s core.

For more information, please consult the detailed manual included in the zip file. It should answer almost any question you may have about the hundreds of changes in this mod.

Grand Campaign Unit Revisions revises the equipment and rules files for the Panzer Corps Grand Campaigns (GCs), also known as the DLCs. Almost every single unit in the game has been adjusted. This mod is designed to find a balance between gameplay and historical accuracy in to order to make the GCs a more challenging and realistic simulation of the German perspective of the Second World War.

Major features:

• Almost every unit has been adjusted for historical accuracy and gameplay balance.
• Almost every unit has more distinctive strengths and weaknesses.
• Many more German units are now viable to keep in the player’s core.
• Experienced infantry are significantly better than green infantry.
• Infantry is less fragile in 1943-1945.
• Medium tanks and tank destroyers are much more useful during 1943-1945.
• Advanced weapons, such as the Tiger tank and Me 262, are still very powerful, but now no longer save prestige.
• Certain units, such as the Panzer IV, are reduced in price in 1943 and 1944 to reflect increased German armament production.
• Tougher Red Army, especially during 1943-1945.
• Tougher American and British forces, especially their air units.
• Battles in 1943-1945 are significantly more challenging, but should feel more historically accurate.

Both core choice and battlefield tactics are vital to success for all years of the war. The player is rewarded for using a balanced core of infantry, armor, artillery, and air units. However, the player will have more options within each unit family to build his core. It should not be immediately obvious which unit is the best choice, rather, each unit has its strengths and weaknesses. The pace of the growth of the player’s core strength is also slower.

Because of the lower average core strength, tactical skill is much more important in 1943 and beyond. The successful player will pay close attention to terrain and the type and quality of enemy forces encountered. It is also assumed that he is familiar with all game mechanics, such as mass attack and retreat/surrender rules.

The difficulty the GCs increases moderately in 1939-1942 and significantly in 1943-1945. However, a player who considers himself average will still have ample resources on General difficulty. An expert player can play at a higher difficulty for an appropriate challenge.

The main discussion thread is at the Slitherine forums:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 47&t=40391

Installation:
Download the attachment and unzip it.

Copy the “DLC” folder into the Panzer Corps base directory and override all
files when prompted.

To install the softcore option, copy the contents of the “softcore” folder into the base Panzer
Corps directory and override all files when prompted.

To uninstall this mod, copy the contents of the “uninstall” into the Panzer Corps base directory
and override all files when prompted.

All constructive feedback and comments welcomed!
Attachments
GC Unit Re.. v1.11.1.zip
(891.84 KiB) Downloaded 2592 times
gunnergoz

RE: Grand Campaign Unit Revisions (for more "realistic" gameplay)

Post by gunnergoz »

I'm impressed with the work you have put into this: your well-written justification for all your changes fits well with the historical record as I understand it. If that much of the vanilla game needed changing, then why bother playing it? I just started the grand campaign 39-45 and am a couple of cycles into it but will start over with your mod and see how the whole thing works out. I'll leave you feedback here, but since I have little experience with vanilla, it will be hard to compare the two.
"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

You can look at his thread in Slitherine forum, how much of effort he has dedicated to this mod.
It's one of the finest threads in Panzer Corps section.
Kudos to you deducter. [:)]
deducter

Post by deducter »

For main post/discussion see here, replacing the _ with a .

slitherine_com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=30708

For some reason Matrix did not allow me to link to my main post on the Slitherine forums...

This project was started about 8 months ago and has consumed hundreds of hours of time to make. However, don't be so harsh on the DLCs as they are made. If you go visit the Slitherine forums, tons of players like the default settings where you can destroy the content with the best super elite units and vehemently oppose any official changes to that. I love the GCs, I consider them masterpieces of mapmaking. But the developers had to balance the game with the average player in mind.

I designed this mod to challenge myself. I change these equipment/rule files specifically with the very best players/powergamers in mind, such that even if you find Manstein difficulty not much of a challenge, you should find this mod challenging on Rommel. Furthermore, these changes result in a more "realistic" experience during the war, both in terms of combat results and core composition. 1939-1942 are harder but still not meant to be overly challenging. If you think this mod is too easy in 1943-1945, well, I'd be happy to make it even harder for you without resorting to gimmicks like +5 strength to the AI.

Note: Given the extremely high difficulty post-1943, it is recommended that any new players try 1943 on General setting. It should be suitably hard even then.

Edit: I don't want to scare off too many players though. There's always the softcore option to remove the various experiences penalty, and there's still plenty to go around if you play on General. If you like a historical experience, playing on General works great too, and it's not too punishing. However, even on General you'll need to use good tactics to win DVs in 1943-1945 as opposed to just moving a bunch of Tigers forward and automatically getting victory.

However, I'd be shocked if anyone finds 1943-1945 "too easy" if they play on Rommel for that year.
gunnergoz

Post by gunnergoz »

So far I'm playing into 1940 France and am pleased with the evident historical restrictions. With losses I'm having to run 2-3 units below core limit just to begin a campaign battle with my units leveled up and if possible overstrength. I could play with my full allotment of core units, but they would suffer from the inexperience and would basically all be 10 strength and under 100 XP. Even with decisive victories, I'm not getting sufficient prestige to build up as much as I'd assumed I would be...that tends to reflect historical realities. You don't always get what you want. You fight with what you have on hand. But in a given scenario, if I gain sufficient prestige from taking cities, I can sometimes buy a new core unit with it...which generally replaces a loss somewhere else.

I like it!
"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
deducter

Post by deducter »

ORIGINAL: gunnergoz

So far I'm playing into 1940 France and am pleased with the evident historical restrictions. With losses I'm having to run 2-3 units below core limit just to begin a campaign battle with my units leveled up and if possible overstrength. I could play with my full allotment of core units, but they would suffer from the inexperience and would basically all be 10 strength and under 100 XP. Even with decisive victories, I'm not getting sufficient prestige to build up as much as I'd assumed I would be...that tends to reflect historical realities. You don't always get what you want. You fight with what you have on hand. But in a given scenario, if I gain sufficient prestige from taking cities, I can sometimes buy a new core unit with it...which generally replaces a loss somewhere else.

I like it!

I'm glad you are enjoying this mod! It's interesting that you are choosing to have a smaller but more experienced core. I like to promote choices like this throughout the game. This is especially true once you get to 1943. However, I think the game might be a bit too hard in 1939-1941 if you don't play with the full number of core slots, and you really should use this time to build up a number of experienced units in preparation for the later years. Don't forget to use the "reform units" cheat at the beginning of every scenario.

On your first playthrough, don't be afraid to play on General difficulty or even use the cheat codes to give yourself a bit more prestige if needed. I tuned the mod to challenge even the toughest players.
deducter

Post by deducter »

Updated to v1.81 based on feedback on the Slitherine forums. Changes include:

I've completed the following changes:

1. All years Ju 87 series and Hs 129 GD +1
2. Ju 87B/R HA +1 in 1942
3. Ju 87B/R/D cost reduced by 10% in 1943.
4. Ju 87G and Hs 129B-2 HA no longer penalized in 1943 (full value of 14 and 12 respectively).
5. Most Soviet AFVs AD reduced.
6. KV-1 series nopurchase flag added.
7. Pe-8 and Il-4 AA significantly reduced.
8. Sdkfz 7 cost 150 to 100.
9. Panzer II Flamm cost 560 to 448.
Waffenamt

Post by Waffenamt »

Many thanks deducter!

I restarted the DLCs a few months ago because of this and your mod is a major improvement to the whole experience. I'm up to 1942 but I've also gone back to the '39 one with this release because it really does add a more realistic flavour. I can't believe how much gameplay i've gotten out of this.

Regards
deducter

Post by deducter »

ORIGINAL: Nick Schieben

Many thanks deducter!

I restarted the DLCs a few months ago because of this and your mod is a major improvement to the whole experience. I'm up to 1942 but I've also gone back to the '39 one with this release because it really does add a more realistic flavour. I can't believe how much gameplay i've gotten out of this.

Regards

Glad you are enjoying this mod! For technical reasons there's no need to go back (unless you like GC39-42 the most). You can keep playing in 1942 since as soon as you load a new scenario the files are automatically updated. The changes I made in v1.81 are minor for 1939-1942 compared with v1.8. I am especially eager for feedback post-1943.
Waffenamt

Post by Waffenamt »

Yes - I've still got 1942 ready to roll with all my core, I'm just curious to see how I handle 1939 now after having gone through all those battles - but I don't think it's enough to make me want to start over. I did restart a few months back, but that was because I'd started without your mod and was already into France 1940 - and was not doing so great by Wassigny [:@]. I learned the hard way, as they say.

There are certainly things i would have done differently, but as you say, the changes are relatively minor for the early period. I play at FM and I still find it pretty tough but have gotten mainly decisives up to this point, with the exception of Vyazma and that brutal weather! I also play both campaign branches and then take the one I did best with i.e. against the French in 1940 (2nd time round!) and the Kiev branch in 1941. Thanks also for the videos of your DLC battles that you've put online. I especially like to see your setup and get some initial insights, and rather than look too far ahead, enjoy comparing notes after the battle.

Regards
deducter

Post by deducter »

ORIGINAL: Nick Schieben

Yes - I've still got 1942 ready to roll with all my core, I'm just curious to see how I handle 1939 now after having gone through all those battles - but I don't think it's enough to make me want to start over. I did restart a few months back, but that was because I'd started without your mod and was already into France 1940 - and was not doing so great by Wassigny [:@]. I learned the hard way, as they say.

There are certainly things i would have done differently, but as you say, the changes are relatively minor for the early period. I play at FM and I still find it pretty tough but have gotten mainly decisives up to this point, with the exception of Vyazma and that brutal weather! I also play both campaign branches and then take the one I did best with i.e. against the French in 1940 (2nd time round!) and the Kiev branch in 1941. Thanks also for the videos of your DLC battles that you've put online. I especially like to see your setup and get some initial insights, and rather than look too far ahead, enjoy comparing notes after the battle.

Regards

If you have thoughts/suggestions about this mod, I've love to hear it. I will try to incorporate good ideas into my mod ASAP.
deducter

Post by deducter »

Updated again based on discussion in the Slitherine forums.

Changes Part 1:
1. Upped the exp gain rate for 200-500 exp a bit more. Now the effect is more noticeable, and this should make it more reasonable to use normal reinforcements for your experienced units. If exp gain seems a bit fast in 1941-1942, that's okay, because you'll be thankful for this in 1943.
2. 7TP nopurchase added.
3. Panzer II recon models cost reduced.
4. 7.5 cm Pak 40 cost slightly increased.
5. Tiger II fuel 12 to 14.
6. Kavallerie re-enabled with a 43 variant. I'm a bit worried about balancing this unit, since it has very, very good mobility in the snow and it can move through 2 forest hexes at once, which no other german infantry can. However, its high cost, low GD, and very low AD should balance things out.
7. Ju 88A ammo 4 to 3. This unit is really nice, anyone else think so?

Changes Part 2:
1. Panzer IIIN GD +2 in 1944 to encourage its use.
2. Motorcycle troops GD +1, ammo -1, cost very slightly increase.
3. StuG IIIB cost reduction in 1942-1943 and StuH 42 cost reduction in 1943 removed. The StuG IIIB was never produced in mass numbers, and the StuH 42 is already plenty effective at its original cost.
4. Panzerwerfer 42 entry added, ammo -1
5. Late war fighters tweaked a bit more.

The changes are relatively minor, so don't feel the need to restart a campaign. Remember, after you update, as soon as a new scenario is uploaded the changes will be implemented. So simply update and keep playing!
deducter

RE: Grand Campaign Unit Revisions (more historical/realistic gameplay)

Post by deducter »

Updated to v1.831 based on feedback from the Slitherine forums. Major changes include:

1. Includes an updated manual
2. StuG IIIB, StuH 42, Brummbar, StuG IV costs reduced by 5-10%.
3. Panzer IIC upgradeable to the Panzer IIF as a tank in 1941.
4. Numerous bug/inconsistency fixes.
deducter

Post by deducter »

Updated to v1.84 based on discussion on the Slitherine forums.

Changes:

1. Various late war advanced German weapons cost reduced by 10% or slightly more.
2. Deployment stage elite reinforcement cost in 1944 to 90, while 1945 remains at 100. Scenario elite reinforcement costs are double these values.
3. Soviet 76.2mm ART range 2 to 3.
4. Il-2, Il-2M3, and Il-10 AD reduced.
5. Yak-3, La-7, Yak-9U AA reduced slightly.
6. Fw 190F and Fw 190G AD increased.
7. Recon unit cost reduced by 10-20%.
8. The strategic bomber cost increase in 1943-1945 is removed.
9. SU-76M attack stats in both AT and ART mode made consistent with the 76.2mm M1942.
deducter

Post by deducter »

v1.9 Summary of Major Changes

Game rules
GreenReplacementsExp up to 40 in 1942 and 50 in 1943-1945 purely as balance changes
ScnEReplaceCost now always 25 higher than CamEReplaceCost, the same difference as using green reinforcements

This should make using both normal and elite reinforcements in battle and during deployment viable while keeping overstrength costs very high. Using normal reinforcements should save you prestige while not crippling your experience levels too much, while using limited elite reinforcements in battle during late war is affordable. No longer should elite reinforcing at the deployment stage feel like the only viable choice. In fact, I don't think there'll be any obvious choices with regards to reinforcement/overstrength now for all unit classes. For instance overstrengthing artillery was for the longest time the best use of prestige, but now, due to the presence of substantial Allied air power/artillery and the high cost of overstrength, this should no longer be the case. It'll be up to the player to decide what to do.

Western Allies units redone, highlights include:
-Consistent modeling of the various Western Allies guns
-All Western Allies AFV overhauled
-Bren carrier and M3 Halftrack changed to soft targets
-Powerful, durable American and British planes
-Western Allies infantry on par with those of the Germans
-Recon units tweaked, including moving various light tanks such as the Vickers and M3/M5 Stuart to the recon class
-British artillery has +1 ROF due to superior fire control
-American 155mm Long Tom has range = 4
-M7 defenses upped to the same as the M3 Lee
-Most British and American SP artillery have more appropriate defense values
-M16 MGMC ROF 10 to 12, so as to make this unit a 2cm Flakvierling 38 equivalent
-American AT guns have different images
-LRDG renamed SAS mobile grp

Soviet tweaks:
-Yak-1b introduced in 1943, Yak-1 and Yak-1b adjusted
-T-60 and T-70 have more historically correct armor
-Only the SU-76M and SU-122 are allowed to switch, all other Soviet assault guns are not.
-The SU-76M has range = 3, all other Soviet assault guns have range = 2
-76.2mm artillery and SU-76M in art mode ROF reduced from 11 to 10

Germany tweaks
-The introduction of many pieces of equipment is delayed on the Western Front in 1943. Furthermore, the costs for these units are generally higher than in GC43East. This is because of the high demand for AFVs on the Eastern Front.
-Air units use GC43East values for both cost and combat power. In addition, the FW 190A is available immediately in 1942, as is historically correct.
-Captured French equipment available for purchase during the first 5 missions of GC43West
-1944 Panther costs reduced by 5%
-Halftrack-mounted Flak cost reduced by 20-30%
-17 cm artillery ROF 6 to 7, 21 cm artillery attack slightly reduced

Italian troops adjusted. Highlights include:
-Italian Infantry have 15 strength but 7 ROF. In game terms, they have extra hit points but very little offensive combat potential.
-Bersaglieri has move = 4.
-Alpini upgraded to 43 variant.
-The cost for most non-infantry units are reduced by 33% to make them cheaper to reinforce.
-G.55 Centauro’s defenses very significantly increased.
-Most Italian armor are still of poor quality.
deducter

RE: Grand Campaign Unit Revisions (Update to v1.91, Dec 5/2012)

Post by deducter »

Updated to v1.91 new version with many changes:

1. 7.5 cm FK 16 nA range increased to 3, cost increased slightly to compensate.
2. Various adjustments of German artillery costs, most notably that towed rocket launchers, Grille, Wespe, and Hummel costs are reduced.
3. German SPAAG costs significantly reduced.
4. 3.7 cm FlaK and 12.8 cm FlaK AA slightly reduced
5. Bofors 40 mm AA attack increased.
6. Standardization of the IN and ground attack values of all AA for all nations. Mostly cosmetic in nature and not likely to impact gameplay significantly.
7. Standardization of the effects of Schurzen. In general the effect is + 2 CD, although the Hetzer has a weaker Schurzen and hence only + 1 CD.
8. In general Schurzen is harmonized with unit graphics where possible. The exception is the Panzer IIIM.
9. Panzer IVG and Panzer IVH costs increased in 1943, but unadjusted for 1944-1945.
10. Panzer IIIM GD lowered to 13. Nevertheless, an experienced crew in 1943 can still perform well against T-34s due to its high INI and decent HA.
11. Panzer IIIN CD increased to 6 in 1942 and 8 in 1943. This tank is now highly resistant to infantry attacks in close terrain.
12. StuG IIIG, JagdPanzer IV, and Hetzer GD increased by 1 due to their low profile.
13. StuG IIIG and JagdPanther are given spotting = 2 to faciliate their roles as tank killers.
14. StuG IIIG IN + 1 to 7. This means that on the defense against tanks in clear terrain, it will benefit fully from experience. Cost increased slightly to compensate.
15. Hetzer cost significantly reduced. This unit is now truly a diposable tank destroyer.
16. Marder series HA increased but GD lowered.
17. Cost adjustment of various German tank destroyers.
18. German soft recon units GD increased in 1943.
19. All combat engineers have + 2 CD compared with basic infantry. These units are meant to be true urban warfare specialists. In particular, starting in 1943 combat engineers garrisoning many of the AI-held VH are incredibly difficult to root out.
20. Minor adjustments to Soviet infantry.
21. StuG IV HA reduced in ART mode.
22. Nashorn defense boost in 1944-1945 removed. This unit relies on its high IN and HA to survive. It is very vulnerable to air attacks. Note that this unit is mostly useful on the Eastern Front, since the Western Allies have a more significant air presence.
23. P-51 and P-47 AA increased, P-47 SA and HA increased.
24. Soviet late war fighters improved slightly. La-7 now has the highest AA, while the Yak-3 and Yak-9U have the highest IN and AD. All three models are extremely dangerous and durable.
25. Many late war Soviet fighters GD improved. They are harder to shoot down with FlaK now, so targetting Soviet bombers to force them to withdraw might be a better use of FlaK.
26. German fighters AD boost in 1944 removed.
27. German fighter costs in late war slightly adjusted.
28. Russian TAC made much more vulnerable to FlaK.
29. Nopurchase flag added to Churchill tanks.

I've temporarily removed the manual since it was out of date and my revision is taking a very long time.
deducter

RE: Grand Campaign Unit Revisions (Update to v1.91, Dec 5/2012)

Post by deducter »

New for v1.10.1

New for v1.10.1

* Completely revised Manual.
1. Panther AD 12 to 13.
2. Jagdpanther cost slightly decreased.
3. SU-76M ammo 8 to 6.
4. Fixed oversight of Soviet artillery ROF.
5. Nashorn ammo 6 to 7. Note that the Nashorn is the Hornisse in 1944. In other words, in 1943 this unit has ammo = 6, in 1944 this unit has ammo = 7.
6. Bf 110 AD and GD tweaked.
7. GD of almost all fighters increased by 1 to make them less vulnerable to AA.
8. Tweaked German AA a bit more. 3.7 cm FlaK slightly weakened, 8.8 cm FlaK slightly improved.
9. Defenses of German half-tracks increased.
10. Many adjustments to Allied air units. In general, bombers are more vulnerable to fighter interception now.
11. Jumbo Shermans have lower fuel/ammo.
12. Many standard German tanks and tank destroyers are unavailable in 1942 for GC42-43West. The exception is that SE units can still receive these units on time, and at a lower price. Historically several SS divisions were indeed kept in France during this period to counter a possible Allied landing, and they were well-equipped, but all other armor went to the Eastern Front.
13. All American TDs have full IN, since they have rotating turrets.
14. Yak-3 and La-7 IN reduced by 1.
15. Many consistency fixes.
deducter

RE: Grand Campaign Unit Revisions (Update to v1.10.2, Feb 16 2013)

Post by deducter »

v1.10.2 (Feb 6, 2013)

Balance changes:
-Most German infantry ammo +1
-Grenadier and HW Infantry HA -1
-Pioniere SA -1, HA +1 in 1939-1942, +2 in 1943-1945, cost increased
-Allied infantry HA adjusted accordingly
-Conscript 43 IN +1
-Soviet Mnt 43 IN +1
-Volkssturm HA 5 to 4
-Kradschützen and Kavallerie reconmove flag added, cost increased
-155 mm M12 GMC range 4 to 3
-US Infantry and US HW Infantry GD -1
-US Infantry and US Airborne HA +1
-Bersaglieri SA 5 to 4, HA 2 to 1 (note Bersaglieri 43 unaffected)
-Italian Inf GD 7 to 6
-Panzer II SA 2 to 4, HA 4 to 3, M 6 to 5 in 1939-1941, cost slightly increased
-All recon units equipped with the 20 mm Kwk 30/L55 are also adjusted, costs slightly increased
-Panzer IIIF SA 4 to 5
-Panzer IIIN has SA 8 in 1942, SA 10 in 1943-1945
-SE Panzer IIIN now only available in 1943 in GC42-43West
-Panzer IVF/2, Panzer IVG, StuG IIIF, StuG IIIF/8 costs slightly increased in 1942
-Panzer IVH, Panzer IVJ, Panther AD 13 to 12
-obsolescence date tweaked for various panzers
-SOMUA S35 fuel 24 to 19
-Char B1 renamed Char B1 bis
-Panhard 178 renamed AMD 35 Panhard in French service, Panzerspähwagen P204(f) in German service
-15 cm sFH available for GC39
-3.7 cm Pak 36 SA 1 to 2
-5 cm PAk 38 SA 2 to 3
-QF 2 pounder SA 2 to 1
-47 mm SA 37 IN 2 to 3, SA 2 to 1
-47 mm FRC changed to 25 mm FRC, to reduce the silliness of the Belgians/Dutch being equipped entirely with the best French AT weapon
-Archer IN 8 to 7
-M10 Wolverine IN -1 penalty
-Achilles rott flag added, IN -2 penalty relative to Sherman Firefly
-SU-85 CD 1 to 2
-Sd.Kfz. 234/1 cost decreased
-New Zealand, Canadian, and Free Polish Inf adjusted for GC44West
-Spitfire, Tempest defenses slightly decreased

Oversight/Bug Fixes:
-Panzer IIF correctly in the tank class in 1941
-Panzer IIIN correctly has GD 13 in all years
-Jagdpanzer IV/70(v) graphics shown with side skirts, hence its CD 2 to 4
-Brummbär in 1944 correctly has improved fuel/ammo
-Fw 190F/G AD made consistent across all years
-8.8 cm Flak 36 in AT mode correctly has CD 2 in 1943-1945, name corrected
-Ju 87B/R correctly has HA 6 in 1942
-Hs 129 correctly costs 490 prestige in all years
-numerous manual corrections
-British AT weapons GD and CD corrected in GC44West
deducter

RE: Grand Campaign Unit Revisions (Update to v1.10.2, Feb 7 2013)

Post by deducter »

v1.10.3 (Feb 7, 2013)
-P38(t)A correctly upgradeable to the Marder III in 1942
-corrected "Table of German Recon Units 1939-1942"
Vease101

RE: Grand Campaign Unit Revisions (Update to v1.10.2, Feb 7 2013)

Post by Vease101 »

Just downloaded the mod and checked out the manual...it looks like an awesome piece of work, just one question - this cannot be used with the original Panzercorps Wehrmacht game, is that correct?

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”