Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dismiss Mod Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Dismiss Mod Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dismiss Mod Question - 8/7/2012 10:34:31 PM   
bwheatley

Vic,

Dismiss is just a script event that calls end game right? If thats the case we could probably mod the scenario to make dismiss just set a gamevariable that would show a REPORT every turn that says congrats...or sorry you won/lost. But it would let you keep playing if both players wanted to.

-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Post #: 1
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/9/2012 4:26:51 AM   
bwheatley

Any word on this vic? I've been digging through the scen and i see a gamevar being set but i don't see any event tripping based on it. I even exported the events then searched the txt files looking for the verbiage about "DISMISSIAL IMMINENT" but came up with nothing so it makes me think it could be something you hard coded?

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 2
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/9/2012 4:41:17 AM   
bwheatley

Durr nm i forgot you can't search for the txt of a execmessage

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 3
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/9/2012 4:45:05 AM   
bwheatley

Ok finally on the right track looks like it will be moddable to just give you an info notice instead of ending the game completely ;)

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 4
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/9/2012 4:46:03 AM   
bwheatley

H:\Matrix Games\Decisive Campaigns Case Blue\logs\Case Blue Campaign_event 161.txt(3): 2)      SETVAR: Gameslot_Dismissal Defeat Rule(#47) = 0
H:\Matrix Games\Decisive Campaigns Case Blue\logs\Case Blue Campaign_event 162.txt(4): 3)    CHECK: Gameslot_Dismissal Defeat Rule(#47) > 0
H:\Matrix Games\Decisive Campaigns Case Blue\logs\Case Blue Campaign_event 71.txt(3): 2)        CHECK: Gameslot_Dismissal Defeat Rule(#47) > 0
H:\Matrix Games\Decisive Campaigns Case Blue\logs\Case Blue Campaign_event 71.txt(17): 16)                 SETVAR: Gameslot_Dismissal End Game(#75) = 1
H:\Matrix Games\Decisive Campaigns Case Blue\logs\Case Blue Campaign_event 71.txt(39): 38)                 SETVAR: Gameslot_Dismissal End Game(#75) = 1
H:\Matrix Games\Decisive Campaigns Case Blue\logs\Case Blue Campaign_event 79.txt(149): 148)    CHECK: Gameslot_Dismissal End Game(#75) > 0
H:\Matrix Games\Decisive Campaigns Case Blue\logs\Case Blue Campaign_event 79.txt(155): 154)    CHECK: Gameslot_Dismissal End Game(#75) > 0
Found 7 occurrence(s) in 4 file(s)

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 5
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/9/2012 7:10:23 AM   
redmarkus4

Are you planning to mod it?

Managers read statistics and tune processes. Leaders interpret statistics and determine strategy.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 6
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/9/2012 12:18:59 PM   
alex0809

I don't think the rule has any place in the game anyway, even if it would just give a disadvantage. After all, the reason why you would be dismissed/punished is if you play bad. And making someone worse because he plays bad? Never a good idea.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 7
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/9/2012 4:15:04 PM   
bwheatley

quote:

ORIGINAL: alex0809

I don't think the rule has any place in the game anyway, even if it would just give a disadvantage. After all, the reason why you would be dismissed/punished is if you play bad. And making someone worse because he plays bad? Never a good idea.

I forgot the name but someone had the point it could be seen as a mercy rule too. Maybe to let you save face and end a game w/o the humiliation of bailing early. I guess i see both sides of it but having it end the game w/o at least the option of going on seems wrong to me.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to alex0809)
Post #: 8
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/9/2012 4:44:03 PM   
Keunert

alex not necessarily: a good player will have strategy and having high command orders forced upon you can create a dilemma: adopt a riskier strategy, sacrifice men or sacrifice prestige? if it is done right the dismissal rule can add a lot of drama and dilemma.

but the mechanism is there to some effect even without this rule: a running soviet player will soon hit zero prestige and this will cause a very low or even non existant pp production. and to make things worse: the german player will soon swim in pp that allow him to influence high command orders.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 9
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/9/2012 5:02:25 PM   
alex0809

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the high command system.
But as you already explained, if you fail to fullfill the OKH's requests you lose prestige and this means you also lose political points. I'd say that's more than enough of a punishment.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 10
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/9/2012 6:06:45 PM   
rominet

The system of prestige points is really a good idea but it is too manichean.

For example, you play with German and Uranus and Stalingrad must be held until January 20 1943 and you earn 16 prestige points if you are successful.

Now, there are two types of behavior of German player.

The first does not care about orders and decides to withdraw the 6th Army before it is too late.
He lose Stalingrad in november 42 and lose 16 prestige points.

The other tries to follow the order and is fighting to keep the 6th Army at Stalingrad.
He managed to keep it until december 24 but ended up losing anyway the city: so in the current game, he immediately loses 16 prestige points.

From this perspective, the game is not fair with the second player because he kept the city much longer.
So I think he should be rewarded because he tried to follow orders.

A linear and very simpler system of reward can be imagined.
I continue with the same example.

18 november 42: 16 prestige points if Stalingrad still german the january 20 1943.
OK.
So, if german player loses Stalingrad the november 18, he loses 16 prestige points.
If he loses Stalingrad the november 20, he loses 15 prestige points.
The 22, 14 prestige points.
The 24, 13 prestige points.
And so on.
The december 20 1942, the counter is at 0.
If he loses the city at this moment, he doesn't earn or lose any prestige points.
But from the december 22, he begins to be able to earn points: 1 point if he loses Stalingrad this day.
The 24, 2 prestige points if he loses Stalingrad this day.
The 26, 3 prestige points if he loses Stalingrad this day.
And so on until january 20 where he earns 16 points if Stalingrad is still in german hands.

That's an example.

The same can be used for orders to capture some places.

You have to take Rostov the july 20 1942 in order to gain 8 pts.
If you have taken Rostov this day or before, very good, you earn 8 pts.
But if you take it the july 22, you earn 6 pts only.
If you take it the july 24, you earn 4 pts and so on until the july 28 where you don't earn or lose anything.
Now, if you take the town the july 30, you lose 2 pts.
But if you take it the august 2, you lose 4 pts.
If you take it the august 4, you lose 6 pts but if you fail to take it this day, you lose definitively 8 prestige points.

The game should show us each day the changing valor of prestige points associated to a town.

< Message edited by rominet -- 8/11/2012 9:05:45 AM >

(in reply to alex0809)
Post #: 11
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/9/2012 6:22:07 PM   
olivier34

+1 Very interesting Rominet.

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 12
RE: Dismiss Mod Question - 8/11/2012 8:38:46 AM   
bwheatley

Yea that's a really neat idea!

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to olivier34)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Dismiss Mod Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI