Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why I mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Why I mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why I mod - 8/4/2012 5:20:38 PM   
Central Blue

So now I am working on Widening the Corridor. It builds on research I have already done on other Bastogne scenarios. But the USA 35th Infantry Division is a new unit to me. I start from the top down -- who's on first if you are a baseball fan.

Brigadier General Clift Andrus is listed as the commander of the 35th ID, and he's rated a muddler. Well, maybe he was. But in December 1944, BG Andrus was running the Big Red 1, and MG Paul Baade was running the Santa Fe, as he had been since July 1943. Was Baade a muddler?

Not complaining. Just advertising the virtues of the HMI that allows easy modding, and the joys to be derived from tracking down the wealth of primary sources that are now available on the internet.

How would you rate MG Baade? And would you rate the 11th AD as blooded, or green? I say green.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year
Post #: 1
RE: Why I mod - 8/5/2012 5:44:11 AM   
JeffK

I (well Stanton and various other sources) have Baade in charge of 35 ID.

In Dec44-Jan45 it was attacking through extremely broken terrain and had a lot of replacements in the line after its losses at Metz. Maybe Baade is downgraded to represent this.

11AD would be Green, it only laned in Normady on 17 Dec 44.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 2
RE: Why I mod - 8/16/2012 2:05:51 PM   
Central Blue

Still working on Widening the Corridor as time permits.

A great source for modding is the digital collection at the Combined Arms Research Library at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas: http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/

One of the units I have added is the 402nd Field Artillery Group, two 155mm gun battalions and an 8 inch howitzer battalion. I haven't even started looking at the German side, but I find that attached American artillery is often lacking.

Anyway, for the heck of it, I decided to add an artillery group HQ. From what I could discover, it was roughly similar to a divisional artillery HQ, so that's how I set it up. As near as I can tell, the AI Corps and divisional HQ units have no idea what to do with the artillery hidden under this subordinate HQ. At least,I never see them firing, and they always seem well rested. OTOH, if I want to drop a load of hurt on an objective or an enemy attack, all I have to do is issue orders to the group HQ and the subordinate battalions will fire away with considerable effect.

I'm still not sure how I plan to use this "feature" in the future. A two battalion group was attached to the 11th Armored Division, but the employment of those weapons may best be left to the AI, so no group HQ in that chain of command. I'll probably save it for Corps level groups since I am making his decisions for him.

I have added a few other units to the US OOB. CCA 6th Armored appears in Bastogne on its appointed day to drive on Wardin, per her historical assignment. While staring at a map from Hugh Cole's book on the Ardennes campaign I noticed the 28th Cavalry screening in the line between the 134th and 137th. Funny how so few accounts mention the appearance of Patton's "household cavalry" but I think I have found enough info from reliable sources to add them to the mix.

The two beat up battalions from the 318th have been added to CCA and CCB 4th Armored. I have also added the 188th ECB, which was attached to the 4th Armored at this time. This was a rear area unit, and in this scenario, I find enough Germans in my rear area, that it continues to operate in the rear guarding road junctions and patrolling lines of communication.

I also delete units from time to time. The 73rd AFA was in the oob for the 101st, and my foggy memory couldn't place him at the scene. His after action report is available at the afore mentioned resource, and she was elsewhere with the remnants of the 28th Infantry Division by 12/27.

One more change of note is that I have altered the lines to more closely match the 12/27 situation map for the 4th Armored as depicted in Armor at Bastogne, by Lt. Col. Summers, et. al., and the map of the 101st lines on 12/25 and 12/26 from Hugh Cole's The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge. So the 101st starts with a smaller area of responsibility and considerably tighter lines. In addition, the HQ's and support units of the 53rd and 37th are now within the perimeter as indicated by the 4th Armor map. Meanwhile, the 4th Armored's front line outside of Bastogne runs Clochimont, Hompre, Hollange, Honville. The start positions for units of CCA 9th have been adjusted and TF Brownfield has been added to her OOB per Lt. Col. Summers.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 3
RE: Why I mod - 8/30/2012 9:01:32 PM   
Central Blue

Since I have been working on Mayhem on the Meuse, I decided to have some fun with British vehicles.

I have straightened out the Humber series to my liking, so that there is a Humber Scout Car Mk II, Humber Armored Car Mk. IV, Humber Light Recon Car MkIIIA, and the Humber FWD Heavy Utility Car -- the generals were complaining about the difficulties of reading a map in an uncovered jeep.

I have also added a 15 CWT 4X2, 15 CWT Morris C8, and 15 CWT Whites, with, and without Bren, and the SP 30 CWT 40mm AA. The 3/4 ton trucks are now closer to an "average" Dodge weapons carrier.

As something of an experiment, I have created an "engineering" 3 ton truck for the bridge platoon/troop. Since I didn't want to distort supply or transport, payload is limited to 100 KG and personnel to 2. IRL, the 16 trucks would have been filled with bridging equipment. We shall see if typing these trucks as engineer vehicles can improve the bridging capacity of this small outfit.

British morale has improved considerably.

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Why I mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI