Yikes...Berlin -45 scenario. Help needed.

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

terje439

Yikes...Berlin -45 scenario. Help needed.

Post by terje439 »

Any tips on this one? Never thought I would have to ask for help with a scenario in this game, but this one has me lost as to how to deploy.
My main problem is that I am somewhat Panzer heavy, and there simply aren't enough open terrain for them to fight those hordes of guards and engineers in. Add that my infantry although outperforming the enemy still loses alot of health rather quickly from those urbanfighting USSR tanks, and I am in a world of hurt.

My forces;
Infantry
4 SS Grenadiers 43version (15,15,15,12 strength/exp)
5 Pioneers 43version (15,15,15,15,15 strength/exp)
Artillery
5 21cm Morser 18 artillery (15,15,15,13,12 strength/exp)
Armoured
2 JagdPanthers (15,15 strength/exp)
4 SS Panther As (15,15,15,13 strength/exp)
6 KT (15,15,15,15,15,15 strength/exp)
4 KT (10 strength, 15 exp)
1 Panther A (15 strength/exp)
7 Panther As (10 strength, 15 exp)
1 SS Maus (12 strength/Exp)
1 Maus (12 strength/Exp)
Aerial
8 Me262 (15,15,15,15,15,15,15,14 strength/exp)
2 Me410a (15,15 strength/exp)
2 Ju87D (15,15 strength/exp)
2 He117a (15,15 strength/exp)

All in all a very good force that has not had too many problems so far, but in this one with conficed space, urban hexes, high exp guards/pioneers and not to menttion those 14 strength IS2s...
Any suggestions???

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
VPaulus

RE: Yikes...Berlin -45 scenario. Help needed.

Post by VPaulus »

James Ward

Post by James Ward »

This can definately a challenging scenaio. You will probably need to put armour in city hexes, just back it up with artillery. If you can defend 'across the street' and make the Soviets attack you from the clear you can blast them pretty easy and there are a lot of Soviet units!
There are a lot of turns in the scenario so don't rush. Be prepared to give up ground initially. Just make sure you hold at least one air field and a north/south river crossing or you may find yourself in a big jam. You will most likely be running a fire brigde around the map all scenario long.
I try to fall back behind a river line in the North and let the Soviets burn themselves out. In the south, where there is a little more open terrain, I try to wipe out the initial wave as quickly as possible thne cautiously advnce. You probably can't go wrong putting few extra armour units in the south, or capable or moving south, initially.
I then go over to the offense about 1/3-1/2 way through the battle. I generally find my first advance leads me to the south east, then north east then south westthen finally north west. It my work out differently for you. Which ever way you go you will find a lot of Soviets so I would not advance in to many directions at once, even if an area seems quiet.
As far as your units go, if you have the prestige you might want to get another artillery or two as these can have a big effect on whether or not the Soviets attack your armour in city hexes. I have lost 15 strength armour units in a single turn to the Soviet infantry in this scenario, do not underestimate their combat ability. I have even purchased new infantry units for this specific scenario if I had a lot of prestige. Most didn't survive but they were useful in blunting the Soviet attacks.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: James Ward
1. I have lost 15 strength armour units in a single turn to the Soviet infantry in this scenario, do not underestimate their combat ability.
2. I have even purchased new infantry units for this specific scenario if I had a lot of prestige. Most didn't survive but they were useful in blunting the Soviet attacks.

1. Trust me, I do not [:)] Those guards are nasty for sure.
2. Yeah considered that, but my prestige is at such a level that buying new inf units will not allow me to upgrade the aux units on the map (I find that upgrading the volkssturm into grenadiers and the AT guns into StuGs is quite nice too). Hmm decisions decisions.

Thank you for the reply, will use your advice and see how it plays out.
[&o]

Terje

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Thanks, guess I should visit slitherine more often.
[&o]

Terje

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Thanks, guess I should visit slitherine more often.
[&o]

Terje

Return to “Panzer Corps”