Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AP and what to save to attack

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> AP and what to save to attack Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 4:53:58 PM   
abulbulian

One of the concepts I'd like to nail down is the ability to know that I can move to a hex and still attack. What do people use to determine ho many AP are needed to attack. I'm trying to find a chart, but all I've found so far is the movement cost chart. Is there something else to know what a unit(type?) would have to pay in AP to attack a certain terrain?

I guess what I need is the minimum AP to attack, because it seems the AP expenditure varies with the success level of the attack as well (how many rounds?).

I would have expected this type of information to be in the Combat section (6.1 How to Initiate an Attack), or at least a reference to another section that has it. But nothing

Thanks

< Message edited by abulbulian -- 8/4/2012 5:03:03 PM >

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha Tester WitW

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
Post #: 1
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 4:59:22 PM   
Grotius

I'm curious too. The manual seems to suggest you could attack with as few as 10 APs, but if I have less than, say, 30 APs, I can't attack.

Also, I assume the chances of success decrease with fewer APs?

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 2
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 5:05:27 PM   
abulbulian

Well one of the first issues I ran into is thinking 30 would be enough, but it wasn't in my situation. Thus, my moving a unit in that hex was a complete waste of time and not smart because it could not even attack. Without knowing if a unit can still initiate combat after a move is a HUGE disadvantage. Pref not to 'fly blind' when it comes to this important battle concern.

- Alpha Tester WitW

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 3
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 5:06:05 PM   
Treale

I think that you need 10AP's plus enough to enter the hex?

Tony

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 5:06:50 PM   
abulbulian

Ok, that sounds plausible. I will test out your theory.
Thanks

- Alpha Tester WitW

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 5
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 5:12:50 PM   
James Ward

Don't the red arrows that appear on hexes when you pick a unit to move indicate you can move and attack there?

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 6
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 5:12:56 PM   
rominet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

I don't think so; i have already seen a unit with 16 AP left but no possibility to attack and it was in plain.
It is a good question.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 7
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 5:21:08 PM   
Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: rominet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

I don't think so; i have already seen a unit with 16 AP left but no possibility to attack and it was in plain.
It is a good question.

I think that you have to take into consideration of terrain and ZOC's, and maybe weather?

Tony

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 8
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 5:23:15 PM   
jnpoint

And then it is important too to have enough AP's to have an attack that last long enough to win. I have some times made that mistake and attacked with too few AP's and the battle last for only a few seconds.

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 9
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 5:25:07 PM   
map66

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

Don't the red arrows that appear on hexes when you pick a unit to move indicate you can move and attack there?

Yes, and that is pretty much the only way I can figure out if an attack is going to be allowed or not--- it's a very nice interface feature that took a while for me to notice. That said, I'm still confused on calculations such as whether playing a speed card or such would allow an attack.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 10
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 5:27:13 PM   
abulbulian

quote:

Yes, but that does me and others no good when trying to determine if AFTER a move you can still attack a given hex. Sorry if I didn't make that more clear from the initial post. Unless there's some secret way to UNDO a move. Then all would be fine.

- Alpha Tester WitW

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 11
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 5:47:11 PM   
rominet

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

And then it is important too to have enough AP's to have an attack that last long enough to win. I have some times made that mistake and attacked with too few AP's and the battle last for only a few seconds.

Yes but even with only 1 round, it can be important to be able to attack in order to have for example, a concentric bonus and an enhanced stack limit.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 12
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 8:28:28 PM   
map66

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

quote:

Yes, but that does me and others no good when trying to determine if AFTER a move you can still attack a given hex. Sorry if I didn't make that more clear from the initial post. Unless there's some secret way to UNDO a move. Then all would be fine.

Now I'm confused--- when clicking move, all available hexes to move to are highlighted, and red arrows from any high lighted hexes show any possible attacks. The only instance where you shouldn't know is when there is a concealed unit in a hex.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 13
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/4/2012 8:38:11 PM   
elmo3

I believe you are correct map66. A red arrow from any hex you can reach means you can also make an attack into the hex where the arrow points when you get to that hex.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 8/4/2012 8:39:33 PM >

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.

WitE Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to map66)
Post #: 14
RE: AP and what to save to attack - 8/5/2012 12:26:55 AM   
abulbulian

ok I was wrong, you can see the hexes with red arrows a unit can attack (in move mode) beyond enemy units adjacent. Very nice....

Thanks

< Message edited by abulbulian -- 8/5/2012 12:32:25 AM >

- Alpha Tester WitW

(in reply to map66)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> AP and what to save to attack Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI