Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Easy Fix for Next Patch - Industry

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Easy Fix for Next Patch - Industry Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Easy Fix for Next Patch - Industry - 8/4/2012 3:48:22 AM   
hfarrish

I love WITE, but one thing that bothers me is the fact that both sides have perfect intel into the production of the other; granted the real impact of this is on the Soviet side, but nevertheless its a bit ridiculous.

In '41, the German player always knows which cities have evacuated factories and which have not, so he is able to avoid launching fruitless offensives against emptied cities, since he already knows the valuable targets have already been evacuated. Is this in any way, shape or form realistic? Its related to the crazy rule that merely moving a unit of any kind adjacent to a city without cutting the rail line prevents you from moving factories at all. Is it really realistic in any way that a brigade of German motor troops could prevent any factory evacs?

Why not just make factories dark to the opponent except for a list of what exists at the beginning of the game? Even if reality is somewhere in between (yes, German recon could probably identify, vaguely, where factories were being moved to a limited extent), darkness would be closer to a true picture of things than the current full disclosure...

Just my two cents. I am a pure Soviet player so if I am wrong and somehow there is a FOW mechanism around this, I will stand humbly corrected.
Post #: 1
RE: Easy Fix for Next Patch - Industry - 8/4/2012 12:54:31 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: hfarrish
In '41, the German player always knows which cities have evacuated factories and which have not, so he is able to avoid launching fruitless offensives against emptied cities, since he already knows the valuable targets have already been evacuated. Is this in any way, shape or form realistic?

Dont disagree

quote:

Its related to the crazy rule that merely moving a unit of any kind adjacent to a city without cutting the rail line prevents you from moving factories at all. Is it really realistic in any way that a brigade of German motor troops could prevent any factory evacs?

I could be wrong Hugh, but since i made lots of bug reports on this initially. I think what happened is that it could never be made so that the AI wouldnt/couldnt evac when the rail was cut or even pocketed. So the easy solution was made that u could block evacs with going adjecting. Presumably alot easier to code.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/4/2012 12:58:47 PM >

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 2
RE: Easy Fix for Next Patch - Industry - 8/5/2012 2:06:30 PM   
hfarrish

I'm less bothered by factory raiding than the intel point - factory raiding seems to have gone out of style anyway (even though it is, and remains, a ridiculous concept as currently conceived). I think the fix would be to have Soviet factories just shown as question marks or something - that way the German knows generally what is where, but not exactly and not exactly what may or may not have been evaced (and vice versa, of course, even though its not as critical to the game).

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 3
RE: Easy Fix for Next Patch - Industry - 8/5/2012 2:27:34 PM   
Denniss

Apply the recon rules for air units vs land units to cities and their production/data?

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 4
RE: Easy Fix for Next Patch - Industry - 8/6/2012 2:26:47 PM   
jaw

Since you get victory points for capturing CITIES, not factories, exactly what city is it fruitless to capture?

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 5
RE: Easy Fix for Next Patch - Industry - 8/6/2012 5:15:35 PM   
Denniss

I assume it's "you always know where to bomb to hit something valuable" and "you always know what to capture first to destroy production".

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 6
RE: Easy Fix for Next Patch - Industry - 8/10/2012 12:48:37 PM   
hfarrish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

I assume it's "you always know where to bomb to hit something valuable" and "you always know what to capture first to destroy production".

Correct - of course capturing cities has value (manpower, VPs, etc.) - but I did exaggerate here. I think the game would be well served by just putting ? after the first term on all the evaccable items (this would not change if a factory had, in fact, been taken east). That way you could broadly track what was there but wouldn't know for sure if you were chasing ghosts in terms of industry.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Easy Fix for Next Patch - Industry Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI