Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Well starting the climb towards the fifties and having a think

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Well starting the climb towards the fifties and having a think Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Well starting the climb towards the fifties and having ... - 8/3/2012 4:20:02 PM   
wodin

41 today. Funny thing is for years I never gave my age a second thought and was never bothered about getting older. Infact I hope I would look like Keith Richards...someone who looks like they've lived abit!

Anyway soon as I hit 40 this time last year I suddenly starting thinking about it to the point where i started to bother me, something I never ever thought would happen. When you get to this age and can easily think back to say your early twenties it dawns on you how quick time goes and really what a short time we have on this planet of ours. Now I do believe that death isn't the end. Not sure what happens but I'm sure something does. So it's not the fact I'm halfway through before it probably all ends on this plane it's more the fact of how quickly it goes and how you don't have time really to sit back and let life go by. So this is a message to those younger folk here say in their early twenties. Listen twenty years is nothing and before you know it you'll be forty. So get out there and do the things you always wanted to do, DON'T wait, grab life and make the most of it. Your not young long and you are probably never as care free at that age again or at least until your retirement. If you have a dream, if want a career in something or travel the world go for it, don't wait, as the saying goes Time waits for no man and though when your twenty forty seems a lifetime away honestly twenty years is nothing at all.

I'm now on the path to my fifties. I don't have regrets as such but I do wish I was more proactive in my twenties, I also wish i had had more confidence in myself and my abilities. Instead I was abit wild and went down the wrong path which i then had to contend with for most of my twenties and alot of my thirties. Though those experiences made who I am today they also meant I let many years slip away in the routine and bubble of addiction.

So again to all you younger ones and to everyone else make the most of the time you have. I say again Time waits for no man. Enjoy life, teach your kids and help them to stay away from any life draining mistakes, give them hope, don't put the down, listen to what they want and then do your damdest to support them, even if it's something that wont make loads of money and not necessarily the career you wanted for them, it's their life and all they need is their parents support in whatever they want to do. Also lets not forget they may change their minds or want to do something else, again support them, don't say "oh you'll just change your mind again like last time" their dreams and wants may change and a Parent should want what ever makes the kids happy. We know as we get older that your not young for long and we need to remember soon your kids will be forty and for me I hope she turns around at that age and says to me dad thanks for supporting me in what ever I wanted to do and trying your best to give me a happy life.

Anyway sorry for the lecture\rant or whatever. Felt I needed to say something. I'm on my own again for my birthday and sometimes you start thinking...

Jason

P.S Oh I will say this. I've said all that but if your child wants to be say be a singer tell them of course they can sing, but do it for the love of singing not to be famous. Join a band or be a backing singer, record your tracks and put them on the net. But don't just do it to be famous. This is the sort of advice I'd give. My daughter wants to be a game developer, I've told her even if she wants to go to the states to a Uni there I'd support her in it. Yet her Nan on her Mum's side tells her she will never do that and not to be silly and no way is she going to the States. she is 11, she has a dream and an attainable one. I get very angry and tell her to go for it, nothing is in your way, if you want it enough you will do it. What her Nan does is exactly what I hate and what this post is about aswell.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 1
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/3/2012 5:18:37 PM   
Rick

Happy Birthday Wodin, and you still have plenty of time!

And I hope your daughter tries to do the things she wants to do. Better to try and not succeed, than to fail before trying.

of course, it's even better to try and succeed too!

Rick

< Message edited by Rick -- 8/3/2012 5:19:42 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/3/2012 5:43:20 PM   
wodin

Thanks mate. As I said it's not the age in itself that worries just the speed the years go by.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 3
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/3/2012 7:48:46 PM   
parusski

I just turned 46 this year and have been having the same realizations as you. How did I get to be 46?? And what happened to all that "time" I had when I was 20? Of course I had three children by the time I was out of college so I never had much of a crazy youth. But it is jarring to see 50. I ran into my high school history teacher not long ago and blurted out to her that I thought she was dead. Mrs. Emerson(can't call her Julia despite her insistence) looked great...and not much older than I am. She revealed she is just 52 and was only 22 when I was in her history class.

You should encourage your daughter to enjoy those early years. Oh, and maybe she will end up developing war games.

"What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare."

1911 Poem, ‘Leisure’, by WH Davies (1871 – 1940)

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/3/2012 8:12:28 PM   
vonRocko

Happy Birthday Wodin. Live for today, tomorrow never comes!

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 5
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/3/2012 8:53:31 PM   
wodin

@Mr Steiner, yeah know what you mean mate...

VonRocko thanks mate!

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 6
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/3/2012 9:08:40 PM   
warspite1

Your opening sentence struck a chord wodin. I guess when we are younger we never think about getting old or being old. I think it was the arrival of children, rather than reaching any age, that got my mind thinking those thoughts.

A really odd thought came at me from left field the other day. I was walking along trying to think who has the next Olympics (remembered it was Brazil) and then who comes after them. It suddenly occurred that I haven't got that many Olympics left!!

Of course it's not missing the Olympics that is important; rather the fact that time is no longer on my side. Horrible realisation.....

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/3/2012 9:18:15 PM   
Jevhaddah

I just celebrated my 54th birthday.... so now I am 5.4 decades old on the outside and around 13 on the inside :D

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/3/2012 9:24:35 PM   
wodin

@Warspite yeah you see where I'm coming from.

@Jevhaddah...funny isn't it...when your young you imagine yourself when older being someone totally different and grown up and really not you...yet when you get on you realise actually your no different to that you lad all those years ago...no different at all...you just have more responsibility on your shoulders which means you have to do certain things, I never suddenly changed and became an adult as such..I just get older but inside am no different, just more real life stress.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 9
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/3/2012 9:40:51 PM   
Jevhaddah

AS I told my children 'Growing old is Mandatory, but growing up is totally optional :D

Cheers

Jev

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/3/2012 10:29:03 PM   
sulla05

" You may ask yourself, what is that beautiful house?
You may ask yourself, where does that highway lead to?
You may ask yourself, am I right, am I wrong?
You may say to yourself, my god, what have I done? "

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 11
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/3/2012 10:32:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

" You may ask yourself, what is that beautiful house?
You may ask yourself, where does that highway lead to?
You may ask yourself, am I right, am I wrong?
You may say to yourself, my god, what have I done? "

Warspite1

Same as it ever was.....

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 12
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/4/2012 1:02:00 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Happy Birthday Wodin......Hope you have many more

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 13
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/4/2012 5:29:23 AM   
jimi3

You guys got me thinking. I turned 53 this year. I retired from a 27 year career (police/fire) a couple of years ago and have started a new job path. Although I never had children of my own, I became a "pappa" last month as my stepson had a beautiful baby daughter. In my mind I still think like I am 20 yrs old. That is something I never forsaw when I was younger. I thought old meant old. 23 years ago, I never could have imagined the amazing things that life has shown me. I'm looking forward to the next 23 years years as even better. Happy Birthday and don't fear getting older. As they say, whoever they are, you are as old as you feel. Feel young. On a side note, my love of military history and wargaming (yes Avalon Hill in those days) have kept me on an even keel. Strive for knowledge, love your family, don't be afraid of change and above all drink good beer.
Cheers Wodin

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/4/2012 11:28:48 AM   
Josh

Happy birthday Jason  
I  really appreciate your posts here and on FB, so thanks for that. Eloquent and very well written, always spot on, and every time I read one of your posts I think to myself; 'hey my thoughts exactly...' If only I could express myself a bit better in the english language I probably would have written the exact same post.
Well aaanyways 51 here  so you're still pretty young  compared to me that is.
Turning fourty was ... somewhat of a turning point, you really have left your younger years behind you. There is no denying that. So the next big step is turning fifty ... always thought I would put a bullet in my head when I would turn fifty but that didn't happen either LOL. I used to be an athlete/triathlete, now I hit the gym three times a week, that really keeps you young and in shape.
I don't know what it is with ageing really, I've seen 'old" people in their seventies/eighties who still seemed young at heart, and I've seen younger folks who "looked" very much older...weird. Usually you can see it in their eyes and bodylanguage, sharp lively sparkling eyes usually mean a young spirit and vice versa.
I haven't learned much in this life other than maybe; life is a short precious gift, value the smaller things in life, and the best things in life are always for free.

Cheers Jason,

J.

(in reply to jimi3)
Post #: 15
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/4/2012 12:37:10 PM   
danlongman

Happy Birthday. I was 41 once, it was awhile ago. Ain't nothin' but a number.
I started out as a little boy, a whole bunch of sh*t happened, and here I am still me.
Children grown and gone, marriage worn out, started over a time or two, never shoulda
made it past 20 and keenly remember a few who didn't. Still playing with my "toys".
Retirement was an unexpected gift. Just enjoy your life, as far as I know it is the only one you get.
They say you are sposed to lose interest in girls....that part is a lie.
cheers

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 16
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/4/2012 1:12:22 PM   
wodin

Thanks for all the birthday wishes for yesterday. Much appreciated.

@Josh, thanks mate. Funny thing is I think I struggle trying to get my point over;). However I do think alot, you could even call it hobby I suppose! Anyway thanks again for you post made me feel good.

Infact all of you as per usual cheer me up, thanks again and thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 17
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/4/2012 7:19:02 PM   
ilovestrategy

I'm 45. I've taken martial arts since 1986 and I realized that ive had my black belt longer than some black belts have been alive. A good indicator of my age is that I huff and puff during the work outs and those young people don't even breathe hard.

Luckily I work for the school district so I'll have a pension when I retire. I never thought about it before but boy I think of it now.

I haven't done bad with my life though. I left Louisiana with only a high school education and managed to fulfill my dream of marrying a girl from another country, became a martial artist, and became fluent in another language. Not bad for someone that left Louisiana with nothing but the shirt on his back.

Trying to pay my daughters way through college is hard though.

But I have no regrets with my life.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 18
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/10/2012 8:29:22 PM   
Hertston

For some reason, this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIjKr_eRJJA

made me think of this thread.

All downhill now, m8

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 19
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/10/2012 8:41:12 PM   
Perturabo

I'm 28 and I'm still looking forward to the future time when I'll finish my studies and get a stable income and will finally be able to live carefree without worrying about starving or getting evicted. I'm especially looking forward to being able to buy more stuff.
I don't recall anything carefree about childhood and teenage years and early 20s. Just constant stress and worry and anger.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 8/10/2012 8:42:11 PM >

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 20
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/10/2012 9:11:09 PM   
kemmo

ilovestrategy if you think being a black belt at 45 is hard work wait till you hit 55, trust me it gets no easier.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 21
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/10/2012 10:26:08 PM   
Jevhaddah

I am on my way to my sixties and all I have to do to jump any queue is to smell of pee.

Getting older is great fun

Cheers

Jev

(in reply to kemmo)
Post #: 22
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/11/2012 4:14:08 AM   
Joe 98

I just turned 53 and feel 33

I started this year at an embarrassing 91 kilo! I have worked hard and am down to 83 kilo!

I cycle often and run 10k often. Its hard work but not rocket science!

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 23
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/11/2012 12:42:00 PM   
pzgndr

I'm 51. I started letting go of a lot of stuff several years ago as my job duties picked up. I love wargaming but it was frustrating the hell out of me. I'm tired of how complicated games have become and how obnoxious some in the community are. It's not worth it. I spend more free time sailboat racing now than playing monster games and getting headaches worrying about if/when the next patch will come out that might maybe make the game 'perfect'. For an old infantryman who has never been out on the ocean, it was a refreshingly fun experience to help crew a 38' sailboat back from Bermuda to Annapolis a couple months ago. You gotta find balance and happiness somehow. Cheers!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 24
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/11/2012 9:55:57 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

m 51. I started letting go of a lot of stuff several years ago as my job duties picked up. I love wargaming but it was frustrating the hell out of me. I'm tired of how complicated games have become and how obnoxious some in the community are. It's not worth it.

Have you tried Command Ops Battles from the Bulge?

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 25
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/12/2012 12:11:28 AM   
mikkey

Happy Birthday Wodin

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 26
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/12/2012 2:14:25 AM   
wodin

Thanks mikkey twas awhile ago now..but still I thank you..

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 27
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/12/2012 3:34:28 AM   
Perturabo

Happy Birthday! (belated, didn't notice the birthday part when reading the OP)

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 8/12/2012 3:35:59 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 28
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/14/2012 12:09:41 AM   
rhondabrwn

Belated Happy Birthday wishes...

Now, let me tell you something... my life didn't really BEGIN till I turned 42. Prior to that I had a conventional career in the insurance industry... successful... stable...

Then I realized that I could look around the company and see worn out executives, pigeon holed as their careers stalled, but unable to leave and do something different out of fear, financial concerns, and so forth. I thought to myself... I'm not going to be one of these people at age 55... just hanging on to retirement :(

Then I read a small article in the Wall Street Journal that said that 42 is the average age at which people start businesses (may be younger now). I took this as a cosmic sign from God and "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (remember "42" is the answer to the ultimate question).

Two months later I had resigned and launched my own company... doing a lot of different things, ultimately leading to a successful Regulatory consulting firm, and then into a software venture to build an expert system to create and track regulatory filings for the insurance industry. Had a great 10 years doing that... then made another big shift into becoming a teacher and many of you know that story... teaching on the Navajo rez... and now retired on a 40 acre horse ranch in Arizona.

I turn 65 on October 9th and I have every intention of living another 30 years full of more adventures. Life is very good!

So, my friend, you are now approaching that key point in life where you have the education and life experiences to enable you to leap forward into new endeavors. Don't feel like 41 is the "beginning of the end"... it the "beginning of the future"!

So, get to it and start making plans!

Wishing you every success!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 29
RE: Well starting the climb towards the fifties and hav... - 8/14/2012 1:28:57 AM   
wodin

Thanks for the belated wishes.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Well starting the climb towards the fifties and having a think Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI