Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 3:43:23 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Interesting photos.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 61
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 3:44:36 AM   
AW1Steve

This is what a SH2 deploying it's MAD looks like. The MAD "bird" is the trailing thing on the wire. In it's store position it's reeled tight against the starboard side.]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 8/15/2012 3:45:07 AM >

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 62
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 3:44:37 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Ugh...midnight insomnia. Well, here's another one for those in the know (I apologize for the glare-there was a plexiglass barrier behind the pilot). What type of aircraft cockpit?

Trick Question. This is no aircraft, it's obviously an Imperial Walker.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 63
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 4:58:03 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Wolverine paddle CVT. Wolverine and Sable passing each other.
CV(paddle)?

Smart aleck!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 64
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 5:04:42 AM   
Chickenboy

Alright...

Top to bottom-class names please...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 65
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 5:06:12 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Errr... that's a SH2 lamps 1. It carries it's MAD on a "bird" on the side. The Dome under the chin is an LN-66 RADAR.

I think you're right, Steve-o. My pictures were out of sync.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 66
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 2:25:36 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Errr... that's a SH2 lamps 1. It carries it's MAD on a "bird" on the side. The Dome under the chin is an LN-66 RADAR.

I think you're right, Steve-o. My pictures were out of sync.

Not trying to be a pain. It just seems like every single #$^^%%$# rating exam I ever took had questions on the LN-66. I had to study a gadget that I'd never actually seen. It's one of those worthless bits of information you are forced to learn , then spend the rest of your life waiting for a chance to use it. I'M still waiting to use that worthless bit of data that I had to learn in 3rd grade social studies. "Bolivia exports tin".

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 67
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 5:27:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Not trying to be a pain.

Not at all. I appreciate the first hand knowledge that these sorts of pictures bring out...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 68
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 5:28:39 PM   
Chickenboy

BUMP! For those of you that are looking at this thread, please note the quiz in post 65 (above). Test your knowledge...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 69
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 7:43:51 PM   
reg113

quote:

When I enterred the USNR/USN in early 1977 all of those things were true. And it was a lot worse. We had what was called a "hollow force". A starvation force would have been more accurate. It was two years after South Vietnam ceased to exist. better than half of our surface ships had served in WW2. The draft had just ended, so there was no compulsion to join the Navy to avoid the Army. Although the economy had tanked, military pay had not been adjusted since Korea (as a E-1 I took home $300.00 a month), and you could make more money on unemployment or welfare. E-5's were leaving to work as store clerks for Sears so they could make more money. And it showed no chance of improvement. Even when ship captains started refusing to put to sea because they just didn't have enough junior non-coms.

Since there was no way to make living standards even as good as federal prisoners, DILLIGAF and BOHEICA became the watch words of the troops. Promotions were frozen horribly for senior NCOs , and wide open for juniors (petty officer 3rd in less than a year. 2nd class in two....because every one was leaving.

Precisely the reason I got out of the Navy in 1976.

"Life's a b***h, then you die."

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 70
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 11:31:03 PM   
mikkey

nice photos Chickenboy, thanks

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 71
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/15/2012 11:59:44 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Alright...

Top to bottom-class names please...

It looks like a Long Island class, Cassablanca class, and a Saganonan class (converted tankers). The bottom two are Wolverine and Sable.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 72
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 1:27:51 AM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandman455

And AW1 Steve - nice sea story about getting pulled from an S-3 flight by someone. Total BS of course. Either you are on the flight schedule or you aren't. There are no exceptions. Wouldn't be hard to get a hop if you were at NAS Cecil or NAS North Island. You could of gotten the ejection seat check on on the seat in 10 minutes. Some squadron would surely have an empty seat on any given day, you just have to keep calling squandron ops offices for a week or so until they are sick of hearing from you. Then you get your hop.

I've gone into detail , way and above what I ever wanted to, or feel that I needed to , because Sandman , in effect called me a liar. I don't appreciate it, I don't deserve it, but that has never stopped someone who wasn't there , and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, from trying to pretend he knows all, and has done it all. I reponded with this story , which in my opion is no ones business but the people involved, because I value the good will and good opinion of those other forumites who don't have the whole story. Mr Sandman's opinion means nothing to me , as I've now "green buttoned" him. His thoughs, given so freely and carelessly , are valued. And any direct response to him might be construed as a "personal attack". Frankly , he's not worth it.

WTF? do you go off the handle like this all the time? wasn't Sandman was saying the fact that you got bumped from the flight was BS and uncalled for, not that you were making up the story...geesh...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 73
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 1:54:24 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

It looks like a Long Island class, Cassablanca class, and a Saganonan class (converted tankers). The bottom two are Wolverine and Sable.

Top class (all are same class) is Sangamon Class.

Bottom is Wolverine class.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 74
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 2:02:53 AM   
Chickenboy

Here's the placard on Sangamon class:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 75
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 2:07:05 AM   
Chickenboy

Tonight's quiz:

Name the three carrier classes-top to bottom:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 76
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 2:19:19 AM   
Chickenboy

Nice model of the Gambier Bay (Casablanca class): 1 of 3 images

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 8/16/2012 2:27:43 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 77
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 2:24:50 AM   
Chickenboy

2 of 3:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 78
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 2:27:26 AM   
Chickenboy

Gambier Bay-3 of 3:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 79
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 2:58:07 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

And AW1 Steve - nice sea story about getting pulled from an S-3 flight by someone. Total BS of course. Either you are on the flight schedule or you aren't. There are no exceptions. Wouldn't be hard to get a hop if you were at NAS Cecil or NAS North Island. You could of gotten the ejection seat check on on the seat in 10 minutes. Some squadron would surely have an empty seat on any given day, you just have to keep calling squandron ops offices for a week or so until they are sick of hearing from you. Then you get your hop.

I've gone into detail , way and above what I ever wanted to, or feel that I needed to , because Sandman , in effect called me a liar. I don't appreciate it, I don't deserve it, but that has never stopped someone who wasn't there , and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, from trying to pretend he knows all, and has done it all. I reponded with this story , which in my opion is no ones business but the people involved, because I value the good will and good opinion of those other forumites who don't have the whole story. Mr Sandman's opinion means nothing to me , as I've now "green buttoned" him. His thoughs, given so freely and carelessly , are valued. And any direct response to him might be construed as a "personal attack". Frankly , he's not worth it.

WTF? do you go off the handle like this all the time? wasn't Sandman was saying the fact that you got bumped from the flight was BS and uncalled for, not that you were making up the story...geesh...

THAT is definately NOT the way I took it. If he comes back and says it is , then I will humbly apologize and fall on my sword. Try re-reading it again. "Either you are on the flight schedual or you are not". That doesn't sound like he's being sympathetic to me. What he's saying is my story is BS. And I don't particularly appreciate being called a liar.

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 8/16/2012 2:59:20 AM >

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 80
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 3:01:52 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Tonight's quiz:

Langley ,Essex and Cassablanca?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 81
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 3:35:10 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Tonight's quiz:

Langley ,Essex and Cassablanca?

Yes. Yes and yes. Good call Steve-a-rino.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 82
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 4:07:13 AM   
Whipple

quote:

THAT is definately NOT the way I took it. If he comes back and says it is , then I will humbly apologize and fall on my sword. Try re-reading it again. "Either you are on the flight schedual or you are not". That doesn't sound like he's being sympathetic to me. What he's saying is my story is BS. And I don't particularly appreciate being called a liar.

I found the problem AW1.
Every sailor knows you start off a good sea-story with, "Now this here's a no-sh$tter".

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 83
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 8:26:51 AM   
sandman455

quote:

quote:

quote:

No the AW1 has it right. Kind of. The utter truth as any 1310 would know is that you are either on the flight schedule or you are not. Forgive me - maybe the P-3's have too many seats to worry about but I doubt it. In absence of a flight schedule then he would have been penciled into the flight plan by the PIC or MC. No flight schedule, no flight plan - then they were obviously flying VFR. Did you guys fly VFR much?

Based on his 2nd post in response to mine, I guess it's reasonable to just go out VFR into the local pattern for some fam hops to recruit some AW's. After a beer or two I'd buy it. Sober though I know not many skippers would cotton to that kind of activity especially being so far from S-3 maintenance and support. The administrative wing could have sanctioned the event - I've just never heard of such a thing.

But can I have another beer, cause I need to work through the S-2 with 2xAW upgrading to the S-3 with 1xAW creating a shortage somehow? Never heard that from my 5 years in that community. Must have been the P3 community's per diem checks pulling them all away. Yo waitress, I need a refill please.

Not sure why the AW1 didn't just skip the detailed response and simply state he was on the flight schedule or it was just a cluster fam for everyone. He simply got yanked from his spot for not having his ejection seat qual. Ok by me, no need to get crazy defensive - there are some issues I guess. His first post didn't mention this pre-arranged event - just that some guy "demanded to see his ejector seat card." No squadron I've ever been in puts someone down to fly without first getting this sorted out. That's why there is a schedules officer who reports to an Ops officer. Otherwise you'd be cnx a flight for lack of crew?? And bartender I'll take whatever you have on tap.

You know it is perfectly reasonable that a guest AW from the P3 community might be a little confused about how a S3 familiarization hop was going to work so take that FWIW. Yet still sober I start to ponder why he goes on about being 500 miles from a seat simulator when any qualified PR could give him the check-in-the-box on one of those 4 real seats in the S-3 on the flightline in 10 minutes. Surely there must have been a qualified PR around? Otherwise it's hard to give fam hops. Whose ready for another beer?

Cause with no PR around who is going to do the torso harness fitting? Damn did I spill that last one, hit me again.

Oh wait, I bet they put the one-size-fits-all spare torso harness in the X-country plane. The whole ejection sequence doesn't really require a good fit. And wouldn't you know it, I'm dry - who's got this round?

Heck with having a spare torso harness. The P3 fam folks can just borrow the gear of the guy in civilian attire! Hello, are we ready to do some shots?

I must be getting drunk, because if this was just going to be a few touch-and-go's in a strange pattern with unfamiliar aircrew - you don't even need the stupid harness. Safe the seats and just work that huge P3 pattern. They do it all day without ejection seats - so can we.

Whoa, AW1 that's an awesome story. Damn I'm hammered, whose got this tap anyway?

So let's just leave it as he told it. I have no issues calling myself AFU. I know better than to get involved and hell I even busted the senior chief above me in another thread for doing much the same thing to the exact same poster. The sad truth is I'm getting senile in my old age from too many beers. That's because most of my stories were so damn good I needed everyone half in the can or they just wouldn't believe them.

So to set the record straight: the AW1 was yanked from his S-3A, no B, no experimental D . . . X, yeah that's it, S-3DX flight by some "enswine" in civilian attire because the guy was a jerk. Please pardon this drunk sailor who got his head stuck up his ass and tried to piss on a perfectly good and reasonable sea-story. Totally bad form so the next round is on me.

Carry On.

Gary S (USN 1320, 1985-1993)
AOCS 1985, VT10 1985-86, VT86 1986, VS41 1986-87
VS32 1987-90 (NSO/NWTO, deployed w/CV-66, CVN-71)
VS27 1990-91 (NATOPS/Safety)
SFWSLANT 1991-93 (AGM-84 All platforms, S-3 A/B systems)

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 84
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 12:04:56 PM   
Chickenboy

Gentlemen,

I would prefer if you took your 'call-outs' and recriminations elsewhere. The purpose of this thread is to show some of the cool pictures I took from the Midway and San Diego-nothing more.

Thanks,

Chickenboy

(in reply to sandman455)
Post #: 85
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 1:08:45 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No the AW1 has it right. Kind of. The utter truth as any 1310 would know is that you are either on the flight schedule or you are not. Forgive me - maybe the P-3's have too many seats to worry about but I doubt it. In absence of a flight schedule then he would have been penciled into the flight plan by the PIC or MC. No flight schedule, no flight plan - then they were obviously flying VFR. Did you guys fly VFR much?

Based on his 2nd post in response to mine, I guess it's reasonable to just go out VFR into the local pattern for some fam hops to recruit some AW's. After a beer or two I'd buy it. Sober though I know not many skippers would cotton to that kind of activity especially being so far from S-3 maintenance and support. The administrative wing could have sanctioned the event - I've just never heard of such a thing.

But can I have another beer, cause I need to work through the S-2 with 2xAW upgrading to the S-3 with 1xAW creating a shortage somehow? Never heard that from my 5 years in that community. Must have been the P3 community's per diem checks pulling them all away. Yo waitress, I need a refill please.

Not sure why the AW1 didn't just skip the detailed response and simply state he was on the flight schedule or it was just a cluster fam for everyone. He simply got yanked from his spot for not having his ejection seat qual. Ok by me, no need to get crazy defensive - there are some issues I guess. His first post didn't mention this pre-arranged event - just that some guy "demanded to see his ejector seat card." No squadron I've ever been in puts someone down to fly without first getting this sorted out. That's why there is a schedules officer who reports to an Ops officer. Otherwise you'd be cnx a flight for lack of crew?? And bartender I'll take whatever you have on tap.

You know it is perfectly reasonable that a guest AW from the P3 community might be a little confused about how a S3 familiarization hop was going to work so take that FWIW. Yet still sober I start to ponder why he goes on about being 500 miles from a seat simulator when any qualified PR could give him the check-in-the-box on one of those 4 real seats in the S-3 on the flightline in 10 minutes. Surely there must have been a qualified PR around? Otherwise it's hard to give fam hops. Whose ready for another beer?

Cause with no PR around who is going to do the torso harness fitting? Damn did I spill that last one, hit me again.

Oh wait, I bet they put the one-size-fits-all spare torso harness in the X-country plane. The whole ejection sequence doesn't really require a good fit. And wouldn't you know it, I'm dry - who's got this round?

Heck with having a spare torso harness. The P3 fam folks can just borrow the gear of the guy in civilian attire! Hello, are we ready to do some shots?

I must be getting drunk, because if this was just going to be a few touch-and-go's in a strange pattern with unfamiliar aircrew - you don't even need the stupid harness. Safe the seats and just work that huge P3 pattern. They do it all day without ejection seats - so can we.

Whoa, AW1 that's an awesome story. Damn I'm hammered, whose got this tap anyway?

So let's just leave it as he told it. I have no issues calling myself AFU. I know better than to get involved and hell I even busted the senior chief above me in another thread for doing much the same thing to the exact same poster. The sad truth is I'm getting senile in my old age from too many beers. That's because most of my stories were so damn good I needed everyone half in the can or they just wouldn't believe them.

So to set the record straight: the AW1 was yanked from his S-3A, no B, no experimental D . . . X, yeah that's it, S-3DX flight by some "enswine" in civilian attire because the guy was a jerk. Please pardon this drunk sailor who got his head stuck up his ass and tried to piss on a perfectly good and reasonable sea-story. Totally bad form so the next round is on me.

Carry On.

OK, you were a "bluecard". I got that. I realize that you used to "chickenshit" people to death for a living. I'm am not your "checkride victim". I was a 21 year old kid who was asked if he would like to go for a ride in an airplane. I did not study the NATOPS , or avaiation physics about it. A LT and an an AW2 asks if I wanted to take a short "joyride". Another junior officer said no. Please don't ask me contract specifications , how many pins in the parachute harness or how much ampage the XYWZ- box draws on full load. I would know more know that then the average passanger knows about the 757 he's getting on at LAX.

Could the two individuals have been "having me on?" I ain't got a clue. Nor do I care. It was nearly 30 years ago. I didn't bring the story to the forum. Andre had mentioned it , as I off handidly mentioned a year ago about my "lost chance". The next thing I know I'm being accused of lying. THAT'S why I came back, and wrote a long explaination that was none of any bodys buisness and really didn't want to spend over 30 minutes typing. That's a lost 30 minutes I'll never get back. As to the seat hardness, torso harness, phase of the moon? I have no idea.

I'm trying to locate the AW. It's been 20 years since I've seen him, but I suspect a certified statement probably wouldn't be enough to satisfy you. I don't know who the pilot was (I met him once 30 years ago....maybe the AW can ID him and contact him). My skipper, who was watching , died of prostate cancer ten years ago.

You seem surprised that I resent being called a liar and am trying to defend myself. That says a great deal more about your character than mine.

Was there a qualified PR around? Probably....I suppose I could have asked to bring one in (Being a Sunday on a non-drill weekend on a reserve base) but I didn't know I needed one. As to what he could do or not do? Damned if I know. I've never been a PR either.

The fact is , you've laid down some extremely nasty accusations, thrown out some extremely detailed technicallities that probably your the only one on the forum that can answer , then wonder "why is he so upset?" The fact is I respect the people on this forum. And their good opinion. And some "individual" (I'm trying to be polite) suddenly jumps in and screams "LIAR!" "LIAR!" In the way that you have , puts me in a tough position. How do I prove that I'm telling the truth? What does it take, what will you require? Then of course there is the old legal standard, "What would a reasonable man require?" , but we've obviously gone way beyond that standard.

Andre , I'm sorry for high jacking this thread. I certainly didn't intend to , want to or particularly need to. But I think you can understand this comes down to a matter of principal and personal honor. I'd love to take this "elsewhere". Any suggestions?

(in reply to sandman455)
Post #: 86
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 3:36:40 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I'd love to take this "elsewhere". Any suggestions?

PM comes to mind, Steve. Thanks.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 87
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/16/2012 4:04:23 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

I'd love to take this "elsewhere". Any suggestions?

PM comes to mind, Steve. Thanks.

Excellent idea! Let me take this opportunity to challenge Sandeman...If you want to continue this "pissing contest", PM (or email me, it's on my profile page) .

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 88
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/21/2012 1:36:25 AM   
Chickenboy

Tonight's carrier class quiz: Name these-top to bottom:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 89
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits - 8/21/2012 1:46:51 AM   
Chickenboy

SBD on the hangar deck: 1 of 3:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI