Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: South

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> After Action Reports >> RE: South Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: South - 8/3/2012 10:31:53 PM   
Blind Sniper

Here I just want to break the line and cross the river, it happens but with little damage for the enemy.
The Italian units hold the line.

In the South I'm not happy with my attacks, yes a lot of rivers and the penalty for crossing is big but still not happy, we shall see next turn.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Squad Leader; Grand Tactical Series; Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager; War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 31
Crimea - 8/3/2012 11:06:10 PM   
Blind Sniper

Here I don't want to rush because it would be costly take the enemy ground, I managed to gain a hex but using almost all my artyllery, I tryed the same tactic in a second hex but I really made very few damages, forest and mountain give a very good protection.

Rumanian leaders played cards to boost the morale and the XXXXII Corps start to trainig the 46th troops (+4 exp).

I have to think how to defend the Crimea once conquered, I think all the Rumanian troops plus a German corps.

Attachment (1)

Advanced Squad Leader; Grand Tactical Series; Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager; War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Post #: 32
Other stuff - 8/3/2012 11:46:49 PM   
Blind Sniper

My naval units will stay away from combat for a while, the enemy is too strong

I'm splitting my Hungarian/Italian/German security divisions all around the map to control the key city/ports and to contrast potential partisan activity.

All my motorized/panzer division are in 100% replacement priority and I played the Panzers card (+25 Pz IVg and 5 Marder II).

PP: 10 left

Losses
German
Infantry: 8100
Tank: 30
Gun: 45
Air: 45

Russian
Infantry: 45900
Tank: 80
Gun: 530
Air: 160

Oil left: 49K
Moving all stuff is very expensive, around 30K in just one turn!

Finally first turn end!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 33
RE: Other stuff - 8/4/2012 10:12:13 AM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

Yes, it would be nice if the air units placement was not coded, in this way for the German would be more difficult find the enemy aircrafts.
In fact, after the first attacks (of course, having played as Soviet in a test game against AI I know how the units are collocated) I stopped to attack his bases without a recon mission first, therefore even if I know where are his bomber in the South of the map I don't have attacked them (a personal house rule).

Sorry, I forget that is possible to handle this German advantage, simply start the game with free setup, the Russian player can relocate his air units (no hide them) in this way the Germans fighters have to recon the base first.

Post #: 34
Turn 2 - 8/4/2012 11:23:30 AM   
Blind Sniper

This turn start with very bad news!

Weather: clear
Orders: same
Oil: +11600
Replacements: 1200 inf and only 10 tanks

Bad news
Partisan activity immediately show up!
Then not only the C&C penalty seems don't have touch the Soviet but he was able to counterattack and destroy my 11th Panzer Division spearhead and encricled other two 71st Division regiments, last but not least almost all Russian units avoid pocket traps.

Great, this is the challenge what I'm looking for

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blind Sniper -- 8/4/2012 11:24:15 AM >

Post #: 35
RE: Turn 2 - 8/4/2012 11:44:22 AM   
Blind Sniper

North

Here the situation before my turn.

I immediately reformed the 11th Panzer subunits lost, 2 PP spents, of course they will have the best replacements priority for the next turns given that are totally empty.
Anyhow this sistem works, only panzer and motorized divisons have received fresh tropps, maybe is possible to keep a reserve for emergency preventing the replacements flow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 36
Supply - 8/4/2012 11:57:41 AM   
Blind Sniper

Here you can see the 299th artillery unit that received a good amount of supply, now with 2/3 of stockpile ready I can try to soften up an enemy unit, in the previous turn I moved it 35 AP and the I fired.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 37
T2 North - 8/4/2012 12:50:17 PM   
Blind Sniper

I'm trying to take ground with minimal losses but rarely is easy.
16th Panzer Division join the IIL Corps, now we have a good commander with beautiful units.

I don't want to push too hard because now we are well aware that Russians can ruin your day, is not WitE where you can run almost safely your units around the map.
One Russian Tank Corps has been treat badly.

Nine hexes to Voronezh, 13 turns left.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blind Sniper -- 8/4/2012 12:53:12 PM >

Post #: 38
T2 Center - 8/4/2012 1:52:23 PM   
Blind Sniper

Here you can see my poor regiments depleted and encircled, I have to rescue them and give a break.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 39
RE: T2 Center - 8/4/2012 5:04:16 PM   
Grotius

I think I see some Hungarians in your screenshots. Can I ask how you're using Hungarians and other Axis minors? I'm interested because my Minors have taken some casualties in my game, and as a result their Spirit has gone down 1-2%. Do you avoid attacking with Axis Minors?

Post #: 40
RE: T2 Center - 8/4/2012 5:13:21 PM   
Keunert

i think you had extremely bad luck to lose your panzer unit. would you mind giving some more info how this happened? what was your loss acceptance? the best i managed was to push back axis units, but your Panzer wasn't even surrounded?? did it surrender while retreating?

my soviet units in this sector have suffered massive ap and combat penalties so far.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 41
RE: T2 Center - 8/4/2012 6:10:43 PM   
abulbulian

Why does lone artillery fight so well? Earlier in your post you mentioned this strange feature and to never attack it without an arty barrage or air strike. But you didn't explain why. Is this a bug or problem in the game mechanics that needs to be fixed? In theory it should be much easier to overrun such units with tanks and or masses of infantry.

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha Tester WitW

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 42
RE: T2 Center - 8/4/2012 6:33:53 PM   
Blind Sniper

Heavy rain here, I can continue to play

quote:

Can I ask how you're using Hungarians and other Axis minors? I'm interested because my Minors have taken some casualties in my game, and as a result their Spirit has gone down 1-2%. Do you avoid attacking with Axis Minors?

At the moment they play a difensive role but the armored divisions that are good enough, I'm playing card to boost their morale.

quote:

i think you had extremely bad luck to lose your panzer unit. would you mind giving some more info how this happened? what was your loss acceptance? the best i managed was to push back axis units, but your Panzer wasn't even surrounded?? did it surrender while retreating?

He attacked my weakest point, a lonely regiment unit with Nebel as support that withdrew, then he surrounded the panzer units and attacked the regiments with everything, art, air and a massive amount of units, they lost the combat and no space left to retreat...
Good move by him because even if has been costly for both is a Russian victory anyway.

quote:

my soviet units in this sector have suffered massive ap and combat penalties so far.

I think the luck is rather important for the Soviet, huge penalty in the first turn in the key sectors and you are toast, if he is free to move can withdraw and able to counterattack like Krupp.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 43
RE: T2 Center - 8/4/2012 6:54:50 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

Why does lone artillery fight so well? Earlier in your post you mentioned this strange feature and to never attack it without an arty barrage or air strike. But you didn't explain why. Is this a bug or problem in the game mechanics that needs to be fixed? In theory it should be much easier to overrun such units with tanks and or masses of infantry.

Because it has several infantry subunits but they shoud not fight so well, I don't know if is a bug or works as intended.
Basically if a full division attack it should be retreat and not stand even if well entrenched, imho.

Anyhow it happens agains but this time with a AT unit, low ent value in the plains & fields, readiness around 70 (?) and only 20 AT guns left, no infantry or other type of guns in the unit, only these two subunit and stop.
Well, it repulsed a whole infantry regiment without a single loss, about 2400 men and 25 guns (I lost 100 men), if I remember correctly I attacked this unit with 60 APs left.
Ok, another reggiment, same target but this time I destroyed it.

The kind of units are too strong for my taste, but it is only my personal sensation after some turn played, too early to tell if is only bad luck or something wrong.

Post #: 44
RE: T2 Center - 8/4/2012 7:33:45 PM   
Blind Sniper

A little revenge at least!

The regiments surrounded are free!
These troops have been able to hold against the odds, this heroic action give the chance at the German corps to enclose and then destroy the enemy, around 9-10 enemy units have been wiped out from the map.
The enemy has been pushed behind the river.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 45
RE: T2 Center - 8/4/2012 7:34:04 PM   
abulbulian

I've posted a thread about how to determine if your units will be able to attack after they move. I've trying to determine an approach that will help me in moving the right units (APs left) in position where I want to attack. It's happened a few times I've guessed wrong and moved a unit and it could not attack due to insufficient APs. Knowing the sufficient APs to still attack is my holy grail. In hind-sight it's a move I would want back because I planned to attack with it after the move.

Thanks for any advice. Nice AAR.

< Message edited by abulbulian -- 8/4/2012 7:35:14 PM >

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha Tester WitW

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu

Post #: 46
RE: T2 Center - 8/4/2012 8:09:40 PM   
Keunert

He was able to kill two of your 11th Panzer regiments?

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 47
RE: T2 Center - 8/4/2012 8:11:09 PM   
Blind Sniper

Thanks Abulbulian

quote:

Knowing the sufficient APs to still attack is my holy grail. In hind-sight it's a move I would want back because I planned to attack with it after the move.

I think until you have enough points to enter an hypothetical hex you can attack, therefore if you have a unit with 100 APs and want to attack an enemy unit two hexes away and one hex (all terrain are plains) at the start of the turn was occupied by the enemy you have to pay 25 for the first, 40 for the second (enemy ZOC) and you still have 35 AP to attack the enemy, I think will be three rounds of combat.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 48
RE: T2 Center - 8/4/2012 8:12:03 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

He was able to kill two of your 11th Panzer regiments?

Yup, are you kidding me?

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 49
T2 South - 8/4/2012 8:20:25 PM   
Blind Sniper

In this sector he managed to push back the 16th Panzer, another situation where lonely unit can be repulsed if heavily attacked, this guy is defending every inch of the of mother Russia.

He is using the 9th Army like a carpet, this defence surely will eat my AP but not all these units are in good shape.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 50
RE: T2 South - 8/4/2012 8:26:52 PM   
Keunert

no sorry, this Pony makes me feel like an idiot.

Post #: 51
RE: T2 South - 8/4/2012 9:01:23 PM   
Blind Sniper

I'm trying to cut is carpet and pocket another 5-6 units, I attacked a big stack with LBs to reduce their readiness, this time I don't want another cutoff spearhead, 16th Panzer takes a break.

The unit on the hills will be in trouble If I can get Lisitchansk and its bridge, again no direct attack on them.

Anyhow I changed my tactic, no more front line hexes with a single unit, always two or more; surely my advance will be more slow but the enemy counterattack will be costly as well.

I need more infantry here therefore the 340th Division under 4th Panzer Army will join the XI Corps.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 52
RE: T2 South - 8/4/2012 9:18:29 PM   
Blind Sniper

A few enemy units destroyed and a solid bridgehead.
56th Soviet Army seems very strong, Rostov will not a esay affair.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 53
T2 Partisan - 8/4/2012 9:21:05 PM   
Blind Sniper

Here you can see the partisan activity behind my lines, I hope to destroy it next turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 54
T2 Crimea - 8/4/2012 9:25:10 PM   
Blind Sniper

Erich von Manstein plays Gamble, wonderful card!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 55
RE: T2 Crimea - 8/4/2012 9:36:59 PM   
Blind Sniper

This time the Soviet has been able to hold the position but lost a lot of men.

Another +4 XP for the 46th Division, they are training hard.

No hurry.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 56
RE: T2 Crimea - 8/4/2012 9:49:53 PM   
Blind Sniper

PP: 23 left

Losses
German
Infantry: 18900
Tank: 255 !!!
Gun: 220
Air: 80

Russian
Infantry: 84000
Tank: 340
Gun: 1025

Oil left: 40K

Be careful when you move your ships, they eat a lot of fuel especially when you move them without check the available ports

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blind Sniper -- 8/4/2012 9:50:59 PM >

Post #: 57
RE: T2 Crimea - 8/5/2012 8:43:10 AM   
rominet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper
Losses
German
Infantry: 18900
Tank: 255 !!!
Gun: 220
Air: 80

Russian
Infantry: 84000
Tank: 340
Gun: 1025

Ouch
In 4 days only and before the soviet turn, rather high as losses report.
Thanks for AAR.

Post #: 58
RE: T2 Crimea - 8/5/2012 9:35:24 AM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

Ouch
In 4 days only and before the soviet turn, rather high as losses report.

Yes, he wants to fight for every hex therefore respect the other AAR the losses are very high.

I just opened the third turn, overall losses:
Russian: 91.300
German: 24.300

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 59
T3 - 8/5/2012 9:43:57 AM   
Blind Sniper

Again no good news for me!

Weather: Heavy precipation
Orders: same
Oil: +16600
Replacements: very few respect the previous turns, now I think it will be the normal rate
Reinforcement unit: 13th Romanian Division

Attachment (1)

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> After Action Reports >> RE: South Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI