Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Case Blue: Blind Sniper (Axis) vs Krupp_88mm (Soviet)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> After Action Reports >> Case Blue: Blind Sniper (Axis) vs Krupp_88mm (Soviet) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Case Blue: Blind Sniper (Axis) vs Krupp_88mm (Soviet) - 8/1/2012 8:55:42 PM   
Blind Sniper

Hello all,

I will try to write an AAR for my first campaign game, my opponent will be Krupp_88mm and this game will be a learning experience for both.

Settings:
FOW ON
High Command Rules ON
Dismissal Defeat Rule ON
Axis Minor Rules ON
C&C Rules ON

All the rest OFF

Using the beta patch 1.01

Any comments, hints or whatever are very welcomed

Advanced Squad Leader; Grand Tactical Series; Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager; War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Post #: 1
RESTRICTED AREA - 8/1/2012 9:02:20 PM   
Blind Sniper

Attachment (1)

Advanced Squad Leader; Grand Tactical Series; Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager; War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 2
RE: RESTRICTED AREA - 8/1/2012 9:18:31 PM   
Blind Sniper

First thing to check: REPS tab.

We have three high command orders:
- take Voronezh by July 28 (8 PP)
- take Millerowo by July 30 (8 PP)
- take Rostov by August 5 (8 PP)

and another minor order:
- take Kushevskaya by July 16 (4 PP)

I'm not happy with the command given that I have very few turns to take the city and I have to come through Rostov first.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: RESTRICTED AREA - 8/1/2012 9:25:00 PM   
Blind Sniper

Not so bad, good amount of tanks.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
OKH - 8/1/2012 9:59:44 PM   
Blind Sniper

Time for OKH, first I changed the replacements at 25%, in this way all units on the map will have the same setting, I want to controll my limited resources.
Then I played Personnel card on XXXX Corps, Stomme's staff now has 52 experience points and +6% as combat bonus.

This Corps is very good but not so much his commander, therefore after his last order (card Attack on 3rd Panzer Division) he felt ill (maybe heart attack) and Erhard Raus took the command.

COM: +30%, MOR: +20% all stats over 70 but Organisation (no problem given that all his cards don't use this stat).
Total a wonderful +97% combat bonus.

Edit: 5 Political Points spent

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blind Sniper -- 8/1/2012 10:21:31 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: OKH - 8/1/2012 10:15:17 PM   
Blind Sniper

Looking the Axis OOB we quickly discover that our troops are in good shape but far from an optimal situation, before to start we need the following replacements to fill the ranks:

- Infantry (first line): 69500
- Cavalry: 900
- Gun: 885
- Tank: 280
- Air: 120

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: OKH - 8/1/2012 11:20:20 PM   
Grotius

I'm looking forward to this! I will follow with interest.

One question. How does setting OKH's replacement request to 25% "even things out"? Does that automatically set all units' replacements to 25%? Then you increase to 50% those units that are hurting most?

Post #: 7
RE: OKH - 8/1/2012 11:56:00 PM   
Blind Sniper

Another officer think that his place is far from the front, Erich Straube handovers the XIII Corps to Joachim Lemelsen, another good officer that increase the combat bonus to 85% and can play good cards; +5 PPs spent.

I'm still not happy with my Generals and Richard Ruoff is the right man in the wrong place, better sent him to command a Corps, Josef Harpe took the 17th Army (interesting Strategic cards); +5 PPs spent.

Now we have the IV Corps that is very important for my plans, therefore Ruoff will be the new commander and Viktor von Schwedler will join the Fuhrer Reserve; +5 PPs spent.

Ok, I spent 20 PPs so far, 35 left.

Post #: 8
RE: OKH - 8/2/2012 12:08:45 AM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I'm looking forward to this! I will follow with interest.

One question. How does setting OKH's replacement request to 25% "even things out"? Does that automatically set all units' replacements to 25%? Then you increase to 50% those units that are hurting most?

Yes all units down to 25% and then I will select the specific unit to send replacements, it is more tedious but I absolutely want to avoid that infantry fill the ART, HQ and so on ranks.
Manpower will follow the offensive units, the others can wait.

< Message edited by Blind Sniper -- 8/2/2012 12:10:03 AM >

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 9
RE: OKH - 8/2/2012 3:04:46 AM   
Alikchi

Really enjoying your discussion of PP use, this is something I don't think about as much as I should.

"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Post #: 10
RE: OKH - 8/2/2012 6:14:53 AM   
Micke II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

Looking the Axis OOB we quickly discover that our troops are in good shape but far from an optimal situation, before to start we need the following replacements to fill the ranks:

- Infantry (first line): 69500
- Cavalry: 900
- Gun: 885
- Tank: 280
- Air: 120

How do you get this interesting screen ?

Post #: 11
RE: OKH - 8/2/2012 9:07:48 AM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

Really enjoying your discussion of PP use, this is something I don't think about as much as I should.

Thanks, of course I don't have idea if is it worth spent points for Leaders or if better to play cards like reinforcements.

quote:

How do you get this interesting screen ?

Under the tab STATS (top of the screen near OOB), I don't remember the correct menu, have to check this night.

Edit: found it, STATS -> Regime Statistics -> Replacements Requested

< Message edited by Blind Sniper -- 8/2/2012 9:28:51 AM >

(in reply to Micke II)
Post #: 12
Air Warfare - 8/2/2012 1:52:09 PM   
Blind Sniper

I don't like how my airforce is placed, I think is better to split it to cover all the map and therefore I created four hypothetic Luftflotte that will follow the Armies.
Given that the air units don't get malus or bonus from their HQ I will reassign them to specific HQs just for my pleasure.

North sector, 4th Army
FIG 115 (three units), LB 125 (four units), CAS 70 (two units)

Central sector, 6th Army
FIG 80 (two units), LB 120 (four units), CAS 70 (two units)

South sector, 17th Army
FIG 105 (two units), LB 130 (four units), CAS 70 (two units)
Plus Italian unit with 50 FIG and 35 LB, I think I will use this unit to hit enemy airfiled

Crimea sector, 11th Army
FIG 100 (two units), LB 100 (three units), CAS 110 (three units)
Maybe too many CAS and FIG here...

< Message edited by Blind Sniper -- 8/2/2012 1:53:28 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Air Warfare - 8/2/2012 2:46:18 PM   
balto

Looking forward to this one.

I was surprised the AIR was not tied to HQs because the AIR provides the HQ Power in the details and it sort of make sense to have them tied to HQ etc.., But it certainly is easier manage that way.

When you did all of the HQ changes, I am pretty sure you lost all the Command Points of the Commanders you replaced. So I am thinking you are not only paying signficant Politcal Points, you are also losing about 10 Command Points. It will be interesting to see how that works out for you. I assume you used some of the Command Points before retiring them.

Post #: 14
RE: Air Warfare - 8/2/2012 4:37:40 PM   
Blind Sniper

Yes, before to change the commander I play a card, all points left are lost.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 15
Air War - 8/2/2012 10:24:17 PM   
Blind Sniper

Ok, stop to talk and start the war!

I attacked his airfields with a good result, I lost 25 fighters for 160 enemy aircrafts shot down.

Now time to attack the enemy lines, I will start from the North sector.

I don't want to attack the 13th Army around Livny but focus on 40th Army instead, more easy as target and if lucky I could pocket most of its divisions.

I managed to encircle Tim with 5 units inside and destroy almost three whole divisions.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
North - 8/2/2012 10:39:15 PM   
Blind Sniper

Here the same tactic, ignore the 21st Army and attack the more weak 28th Army units.
VIII and XVII Corps opened the way for the XXXX Corps that was able to push its Panzer divisions destroying almost 5 divisions and a tank brigade.

Note: the Soviet artillery required an incredible amount of units to retreat it

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blind Sniper -- 8/2/2012 10:53:46 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: North - 8/2/2012 10:48:50 PM   
Blind Sniper

Here the final situation in this sector, not everything go well and I suffered some setback, two or three very costly in losses.
Anyhow my losses so far are 3000 men, 15 tanks and 5 guns against 23500 men, 25 tanks and 250 guns for the Soviet side.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blind Sniper -- 8/2/2012 10:57:49 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: North - 8/3/2012 1:38:27 AM   
Grotius

Good stuff. I haven't tried any airfield attacks yet. Did you use fighters only, or bombers as well? How many did you use per airfield attack?

Post #: 19
RE: North - 8/3/2012 10:48:31 AM   
balto

Great!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 20
RE: North - 8/3/2012 2:15:12 PM   
Keunert

you airfield attack will knock out the soviet air units for a month or two. they get roughly 20 planes a turn but the airforce is in a very bad state and your attack made matters even worse.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 21
RE: North - 8/3/2012 3:58:32 PM   
balto

A comment. As I looked at your post #18 I was thinking to myself "If Sniper used a Speed Card on the 24th, he could have severed that rail line just south of the 24th and te Russian 45th and 62nd would have been out of supply." But then I realize that the town NW of NOwy Oskol (??? Tscha) could be providing supply thus the 45th and 62nd would still be in supply. So I then sit there with my tables and I add up how much supply get to what hex and how much.., aggravating. Bottom line is only the 1/45 is in trouble.

My point is, do you think it would be helpful if there was a SUPPLY OVERLAY that would also work for enemy units? I think it would. For example, wouldn't it be great to click on the 1/45 Inf Reg and see the Supply situation, then plot your moves as such? Otherwise you have to do that adding up stuff as I was doing.

Great AAR. I cannot wait to see how that "Replacements at 25%" works for you.

< Message edited by balto -- 8/3/2012 3:59:36 PM >

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 22
RE: North - 8/3/2012 5:11:24 PM   
Grotius

I dunno, balto, shouldn't we be guessing about the enemy's supply lines? I kinda sorta like things the way they are, but not sure yet.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 23
RE: North - 8/3/2012 5:30:28 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

Did you use fighters only, or bombers as well? How many did you use per airfield attack?

Only fighters but Italian squadron because there are fighters and level bombers in the same unit.
How many? It depends, the big units (around 50 a/c) when the airports have a strong defence.
I prefer to use LB and CAS to soften up the enemy defensive lines.

quote:

you airfield attack will knock out the soviet air units for a month or two. they get roughly 20 planes a turn but the airforce is in a very bad state and your attack made matters even worse.

Yes, it would be nice if the air units placement was not coded, in this way for the German would be more difficult find the enemy aircrafts.
In fact, after the first attacks (of course, having played as Soviet in a test game against AI I know how the units are collocated) I stopped to attack his bases without a recon mission first, therefore even if I know where are his bomber in the South of the map I don't have attacked them (a personal house rule).

quote:

As I looked at your post #18 I was thinking to myself "If Sniper used a Speed Card on the 24th, he could have severed that rail line just south of the 24th and te Russian 45th and 62nd would have been out of supply.

Not enough points for this card (IIRC are necessary 14 points), anyhow I don't have used all my card yet, especially for two corps with panzer divisions.

quote:

My point is, do you think it would be helpful if there was a SUPPLY OVERLAY that would also work for enemy units? I think it would. For example, wouldn't it be great to click on the 1/45 Inf Reg and see the Supply situation, then plot your moves as such? Otherwise you have to do that adding up stuff as I was doing.

Uhm...I would not, usually I prefer more FOW and guessing where the enemy supply are active or not is part of the funny

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 24
RE: North - 8/3/2012 6:17:30 PM   
Vic

Actually you can select an enemy held hex and the press the supply layer button to get a prognosis how supply would flow out of the selected hex.

best,
Vic

Victor Reijkersz Designs
www.vrdesigns.nl

Post #: 25
RE: North - 8/3/2012 6:25:09 PM   
balto

Hmmm, I will try that tonight. Thank you.

Sniper, there is no FOW element to Supply because your forces are the ones that block supply. So in reality, you have to do the math instead of the software.

I can tell no one likes this idea, so I will stop.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 26
RE: North - 8/3/2012 6:32:55 PM   
Keunert

an ennemy supply overlay would need a lot of recon.

in the mentioned situation west of Oskol the Soviet player has a usable rail line for supply or troop evacuation, two intact bridges and several roads. we can assume that the supply level will be full or high. no overlay or calculation needed so far.

In Tim there are units completely cut off from supply. but units have supply with them that allow two more turns of limited movement and fighting. the supply penalty will next turn easily be matched by the high (auto) entrenchment of inf in a city. if possible a two turn wait will make an attack on this hex costless.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 27
Center - 8/3/2012 8:49:42 PM   
Blind Sniper

I don't want to fight everywhere but I can hit the weakest points.

LI Corps will hold the line behind the river and will attack the 9th Guard Division in open ground, Von Seydlitz-Kurbach is overloaded (staff troop ratio below 1) and I transfered the 62nd Divison to XVII.
Moreover he has a very high intuition rating therefore I played the Promotions card on 71st Division, +8 exp!
The enemy division has been totally destroyed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 28
RE: Center - 8/3/2012 9:27:40 PM   
Blind Sniper

In this sector I avoid every forest or hill hex (even if the enemy units were weak), better to attack the plains & fields hex and moreover I want to take the bridge intact.
Unfortunately the 275th Soviet Division was well entrenched and with full organic, I send two LB units, made four artillery barrages but with scarce result, I taken the bridge wiped out almost all the enemy unit but I lost about 1000 men!!

I played the Speed card on 16th Panzer Division and its advance destroyed an infantry reggiment putting in danger the units in the forest.
Two panzer and one infantry divisions crossed the river.

Romanian Corps hold the line.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 29
South - 8/3/2012 10:11:07 PM   
Blind Sniper

Now my target will be the 12th Army because between Lisitchansk and Artemovsk the terrain is suitable for a panzer attack and if I can get the bridges close at the cities his 37th Army will have supply problem.

Again artillery/LB not so incivise trying to soften up the target but especially again an artillery unit was able to save his units from destruction because it hold against a full motorized division inflicting huge losses
Remember: never attack a hex with artillery without barrage/air support, even if you win the losses will be high

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> After Action Reports >> Case Blue: Blind Sniper (Axis) vs Krupp_88mm (Soviet) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI