Matrix Games Forums

Hannibal: Terror of Rome goes into BetaBattle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and Salute
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it possible for German player to match historical German performance?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Is it possible for German player to match historical German performance? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it possible for German player to match historical Ge... - 8/1/2012 7:41:11 PM   
sandman2575

Guess the thread title says it all. I am wondering what folks think about this.

In my current full Case Blue campaign, playing as Germany against "Normal" Soviet AI, I am struggling to see how it is possible for the player to match how the Germans did in real life. I consider myself a reasonably competent player, having spent lots of time with Warsaw to Paris, but recognizing pretty quickly that the Soviets are a much harder opponent than anything faced in the previous DC game. I've achieved several modest-sized encirclements and have driven 'cautiously aggressively' (if that makes sense) toward Voronezh, Rostov, Millerowo etc. But it's now July 26, and I am by no means on the brink of taking Rostov, which is protected by a steel curtain of tank corps, arty, AT guns etc. etc., although I am rushing 11th Army elements as fast as possible to help out. I've been at the gates of Voronezh for a few turns but despite some gambles have not been able to break through. My best progress has been with XIV Corps, taking Vorosilovgrad, but 1st Panzer Army is by no means on the verge of a breakthrough, as I can already see Russian hordes assembling to block any thrust toward the Don.

On one hand, I'm of course pleased to see such a tough AI opponent. On the other hand, the Soviets do seem to be somewhat overpowered -- in how the AI uses them, if not in historical numbers -- than compared to real life.

...thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/1/2012 7:56:23 PM   
elmo3

The Soviet AI on Normal has been kicking my butt. I'm guessing (hoping ) the game is more historical with the AI on Easy.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.

WitE Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to sandman2575)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/1/2012 8:05:57 PM   
jjdenver

I'd have to check to be sure but I think the AI gets a bonus on "normal" setting. That's probably why you are having problems. I think it's a 25% combat bonus and a few other things which seems pretty significant.

AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1735661

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/1/2012 8:59:11 PM   
olivier34

AI on easy gets nothing but here is the bonus on a normal setting. Not bad at all ! I prefer to play a human opponent...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/1/2012 10:44:15 PM   
oldspec4

My two cents..I'm playing full campaign on easy and giving the Russian AI more time.

Currently in round 28 and have pocketed large numbers of Russians. Russian casualties around 680k and Germans about 112k. Have not used the cards too much because of my success so far.

I'm probably an average to below average player w/ WtP experience.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to olivier34)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/1/2012 10:48:10 PM   
Flaviusx

Soviets are pretty tough in this game.

If Case Blue as the Germans is frustrating you...fire up Uranus and play as the Soviets! You'll crush the AI.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to olivier34)
Post #: 6
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/1/2012 11:30:17 PM   
rosseau

Yep, more about balance than the AI. Has anyone won an MP game as German in Drive on Voronezh?

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 7
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/1/2012 11:35:14 PM   
starbuck310

I am doing ok against the AI. Once you can break out and start pocket significant units you find your advance quickening. You must drive your panzer Divs forward. If mine are blocked I pull them back and try else where. Its 18 July and last week I was given Stalingrad as an objective. Rostov is hard to I have bypassed it and going for Stalingrad! I have attached my southern Pz Divs to Manstein 11th Army. The obvious choice really to lead the attack :-)

Nortmal AI

I tried a amphibious attack to see what would happen and I lost all my cargo and barges. Got troops ashore so I have drawn a large number of his troops away. Good to see how it would work and will try it again with the 11th Army.

< Message edited by starbuck310 -- 8/2/2012 12:19:53 AM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 8
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/2/2012 2:07:31 AM   
sandman2575

Okay -- WOW Oldspec. that is some dominating game you've put together! Impressive.

I'm playing on Normal with Full Time for the AI (which is vastly improved from WtP, where Full Time AI, esp. on Fall Gelb, could mean AI turns lasting near 45 minutes.... Vic has definitely streamlined AI time in Case Blue).

I'm not trying to suggest that the Soviet AI is overpowered from a standpoint of OOB, rather, that it puts up a more rugged, coordinated defense in summer '42 than the "real life" Soviet army was able to.

***By the way, how are folks taking screenshots? Fraps does not seem to work with Case Blue -- ??

(in reply to starbuck310)
Post #: 9
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/2/2012 2:49:37 AM   
Grotius

I'm using FRAPS for screenshots, Sandman. It's working fine for me. I think the FPS indicator does not show up on the screen, but I still get good screenshots. Maybe it helps to put FRAPS into "Monitor Aero Desktop" mode?

I'm liking the AI a lot in this game. It does a lot of good things, and it even surprises me sometimes. I gather some scenarios have been tweaked to give us humans more of a challenge, and of course the AI gets bonuses on Normal. I'm cool with all that.

Post #: 10
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/2/2012 3:08:18 AM   
oldspec4

For screenshots I still use "print screen" on keyboard and then paste into paint (and usually save as a jpeg).

Post #: 11
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/2/2012 3:47:43 AM   
sandman2575

I was premature -- I'm on turn July 16 -- anyway, as you can see, the Soviet AI is solidly defending the entire front from Voronezh to Rostov... prospects of my breaking through with 1st / 4th Panzer Armies still seem slim --

**thanks for the screenshot tips --

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sandman2575 -- 8/2/2012 3:48:23 AM >

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 12
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/2/2012 1:14:12 PM   
Vic

The problem with the Soviet AI is that it always chose defending almost all territory. A human player would chose to fallback for the first month or two before making a stand and not giving any ground anymore (absorbing upt 300-400k extra troops), the AI does not. And this is a very risky strategy for the AI. Yeah if the AI holds the German player fails, but if the AI breaks it will be in a terrible position and probably not be able to make a stand further to the east and south anymore.

The AI misses the very long picture view... its an AI... lets be fair. But it is something i would like to improve upon if I get around to a DC3 game and backport to DC2.

It might also be interesting for a modder to see if you could fool the Soviet AI into retreating at the start by modifying some rulevars for the Soviet AI in the initial month or so (rulevar 943 would be the ideal choice to fool around with). Either making it retreat a full month or maybe letting it hold for a week... retreat for a week.. hold for a week.. I am not sure.. But there is defenitely potential here for modding creating some better AI behaviour in a strategic sense for a specific scenario. Also the rulevars dictating how and if it uses reserves in depth could be interesting to change to different values in different phases of the game.

best,
Vic

< Message edited by Vic -- 8/2/2012 1:18:18 PM >

Victor Reijkersz Designs
www.vrdesigns.nl

Post #: 13
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/2/2012 3:42:28 PM   
redmarkus4

I am about to re-start Case Blue on Easy. On Normal I created several pockets and made a number of breakthroughs but, man, the Soviet AI fought like a trapped animal. It cut off my spearheads, counter attacked to free trapped troops and filled every gap I could make in the line. I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

This is a compliment, not a complaint! Although Vic says it doesn't play as a human would, it almost feels like playing a human to me...

Managers read statistics and tune processes. Leaders interpret statistics and determine strategy.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 14
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/2/2012 4:01:00 PM   
sandman2575

Thanks for the explanation, Vic. Just to second redmarkus, my reason in starting the thread was not to voice a criticism, but to see how other German players were faring. I'm happy to see such a robust AI of course! In some ways the Soviet AI plays a counterfactual scenario, "What if the Russian army had responded aggressively, free of Stalin's interference, at the start of Case Blue?" It's a gamble, but so far in my game, it seems to be working!

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 15
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/2/2012 6:48:30 PM   
Keunert

i am running a second case blue full campaign against a soviet ai on normal and slow: the soviets are pretty much beaten on mid july. rostow will not be taken on time but Voronesh is taken long ago and the soviets no longer have a front line. like Vic posted: once you get the hang the AI is too weak on astrategical level.

this will be the time to switch to pbem. thats the best part of such games anyway.

Post #: 16
RE: Is it possible for German player to match historica... - 8/3/2012 9:28:16 AM   
redmarkus4

Case Blue Turn 2 (on EASY).

Breakthroughs and pockets - concentration of force is essential. I don't attack everywhere, just at selected breakthrough points. Once the dug in Soviet units start to pull back to avoid pocketing and their entrenchment score falls to zero, then I attack them with my intermediate infantry units and air strikes.

Also, I launch air strikes with only JG and ZG units on Soviet airfields. This does a lot of damage to Soviet fighter strength and makes my later attacks more effective.

Attachment (1)

Managers read statistics and tune processes. Leaders interpret statistics and determine strategy.

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Is it possible for German player to match historical German performance? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI