Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

event codes in ATGold

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> event codes in ATGold Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
event codes in ATGold - 8/1/2012 6:11:08 PM   
mgaffn1

Hi all,
I am having ridiculous trouble coding events. Evidently this is a skill that I have no talent in. I am trying to create messages that appear at the beginning of certain turns, and have had not luck. Even trying something simple like this, taken from the tutorial:
exec message 2 (0,1,-1,-1) (Hi there)

Nothing seems to work.
Any suggestions? or examples I can look at (tried the tutorial Event Code & didn't have much luck).

thanks,
Mike
Post #: 1
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/3/2012 1:25:57 PM   
ernieschwitz

Did you remember to set it as a early turn event, or is it still as the default is, a no check?

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 2
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/3/2012 8:50:41 PM   
mgaffn1

Initially it was set up as a "no check". Nothing happened. Then I tried every other type of check (early turn, late turn) , and it would crash after the intro screen for the German player. I may have missed trying it as an early turn event - will try again tonight. Thanks for the response.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/3/2012 9:03:21 PM   
ernieschwitz

I can´t explain the crashes when not setting at no check, but when it is set at no check, then basically it just doesn´t get run. So that might explain why nothing happens.

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 4
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/6/2012 10:56:02 PM   
mgaffn1

Tried again, and "no check" did not effect the game in any way.
The program crashed (got a windows error message) when I set it up as early turn, late turn, and every other variable in this field.

At this stage, I'm waving the white flag, & moving on to other apects of the game editor.
Thanks again for your response.

Post #: 5
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/7/2012 5:55:12 AM   
ernieschwitz

I would report this to Vic. Windows error messages are his programs fault, not yours.

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 6
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/7/2012 5:58:44 PM   
mgaffn1

Good to know.
I'll pull some screen shots & post them.
Anything in particular I should do to make sure Vic sees my message?
thanks.

Post #: 7
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/7/2012 6:11:30 PM   
ernieschwitz

I´d put it in the advanced tactics support category. He will know what to do with the information you post. Just make sure to post the circumstances of what you have done as precisely as possible... :)

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 8
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/9/2012 5:39:35 AM   
bwheatley

mgaffn1 i would say always keep old versions of things you are modding. I've had instances where you can reorder sftypes or any small thing and it causes a crash because you're not really supposed to move stuff around. So just good future advice save a new version everytime you change something. Then you have something to fall back on worst case. :)

-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

Post #: 9
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/13/2012 7:20:38 PM   
mgaffn1

Thanks for responses, everyone.
Installed update 11 this weekend, and had somewhat better luck with event codes.

After coding this, it worked! The message and the custom graphic appeared. But wait.... the message appeared on the first turn for the German player, AND the second turn for the German player. Then on the third turn, the message no longer appeared.

Am I getting something wrong here? Perhaps mistaking the definitions of "turn" vs. "round"?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 10
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/13/2012 8:32:10 PM   
ernieschwitz

You play a turn, each round. The round ends, when everyone has taken their turn.

The event you have coded will run once every turn, in the first round. I´m guessing you had a two player test game :)

< Message edited by ernieschwitz -- 8/13/2012 8:33:04 PM >

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 11
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/14/2012 5:51:35 PM   
ernieschwitz

Sorry if i posted a bit hastily, and a little too curt.

Here is what i meant to say.

Every round consists of turns. I had trouble with this myself and still do sometimes. The code you are using initiates every turn. That is because it is an early turn check.

Your message is only posted to player 1. Because of the setting ExecMessage(0...) In game terms player 1 is always regime 0.

Your message is repeated on round two turn one, because it is executed on round 2, turn 1 as well as round 1 turn 1. So you see it the first time, and then when it is the opponents turn, it is executed again.

There are several ways to make sure it is only posted once.

For instance, make it a round check, and it will only initiate in round 1.
Or make extra lines, Check: CheckTurn == 0 ... End Check, along with the round check of course.
Or using the Block Event code after it has executed once.

to name a few...

I hope this was more enlightening than my first post.

< Message edited by ernieschwitz -- 8/14/2012 5:52:35 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/14/2012 5:59:52 PM   
mgaffn1

Just double checked it, and in fact I was getting the same message 2 rounds in a row for the German player. So now message 1 appears to German player on turn 1 and turn 2. On turn 3, no more message.

Then I created a second message, CheckRound = 2, to be viewed by the German player. What happened? The 2nd message played on turn 2 and 3. On turn 4, no more message 2.

very odd....

I'm going to re-read the Event Code tutorial, and dabble some more this weekend.
Getting closer....

Post #: 13
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/14/2012 6:01:03 PM   
mgaffn1

In the meantime, here is an example of a custom unit I've created in the graphic style of the original ATG:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 14
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/14/2012 6:05:33 PM   
mgaffn1

Fantastic - I'll give your suggestion a try! Disregard post from a few minutes ago ... hadn't read your second response yet! cheers,

FYI: didn't perceive your response as curt - just pressumed that like the rest of us, your schedule is pretty busy. Thanks for your suggestions.

Mike

Post #: 15
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/14/2012 6:18:04 PM   
ernieschwitz

No problem, and i must say thats a very nice graphic you made for the SIG-33! :D

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 16
RE: event codes in ATGold - 8/14/2012 7:22:21 PM   
bwheatley

Ya looks nice!

-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> event codes in ATGold Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI