Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship Side Art from RevRick

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Ship Side Art from RevRick Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship Side Art from RevRick - 8/1/2012 9:01:02 AM   
Gary Childress

RevRick sent some stuff to me and gave me permission to post it for him. He's having some SNAFUs (situation normal all FOULED up) with his computer but this is some really great stuff so I asked him if I may post it on his behalf to which he agreed.

This is basically an assorted grab bag of ship art he's been working on. Unfortunately it looks like a few corresponding shils are missing to go along with some of his sides but he's searching his computer trying to find the remaining files. In the meantime for any modders out there interested in some alternative designs, the pack includes some sides, shils and a text document outlining a bit of alternative history he's been working on. Toward the end of the text document you'll find some specs inlcuding refit histories for some of the various ships in the batch. As RevRick finds more of his stuff hopefully he'll send it to me so a more complete set can be posted. For now, here's what I have so far.

I'll try to put together a preview pic and post it behind this post shortly.

EDIT: OK, I did some editing and everything should be fine with the ship sides and shils now. File is back up.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 8/1/2012 1:39:03 PM >

Favorites and/or other Great Games from Matrix :

1. War in the Pacific/ Admiral's Edition
2. Panzer Corps
3. Commander: Europe at War
4. John Tiller's Campaign Series
Post #: 1
RE: Ship Side Art from RevRick - 8/1/2012 12:26:17 PM   
Gary Childress

Here's a preview of the ships in the files above. These really are well done. My favorite is the USS Milwaukee. Definitely looks like an early 1930s US cruiser.

Attachment (1)

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship Side Art from RevRick - 8/3/2012 1:24:02 PM   
Gary Childress

Received some more stuff from RevRick. Several more sides compiled in a zip file. File attached.

Attachment (1)

2. Panzer Corps

Post #: 3
RE: Ship Side Art from RevRick - 8/3/2012 1:25:14 PM   
Gary Childress

And the preview of the ships above.

Attachment (1)

2. Panzer Corps

Post #: 4
RE: Correction to error in transmission.. - 8/3/2012 6:12:21 PM   
RevRick

The files I sent Gary yesterday had some errors because files were shifted around in my computer when we changed hard drives (a less desirable activity I find rather rare - perhaps a root canal.)

The Milwaukee which was sent is actually in my mod a change in design for the USS Pensacola. The Chief of BuShips took one look at the original design and said. “I don’t care how many eight inch guns it has. The armor isn’t enough to stop two mad Chinese river pirates with a .45. Sh*t can this and get me a ship that John Paul Jones (cue angelic choir as in Blazing Saddles "Randolph Scott!" AHHHHHH!) would not be afraid to take into harms way!”

So, the Pensacola’s come back with 8-8/55 Guns in 4 twin turrets, 8-5/25 as a sec/AA battery, 96mm of plate armor, 50mm of deck armor, and something resembling a citadel with 62mm armor on 9400 tons.

The actual Milwaukee CL in the mod is a rebuilt Omaha with all of the casemate guns taken off and turned into shore batteries somewhere (Midway, Wake Island, Guam?!) The superstructure reworked and bridge moved back to allot for two twin mounts for the 6/53’s fore and aft. They also carry a catapult amidships, or at least abaft the funnels, for three scout planes. Ships: Milwaukee, Memphis, Marblehead, and Macon.

The extra two mounts came from the Omaha class which also was reworked into a class of CLAA. In the supposition that Stimson never became SecState, and therefore never shut down Yardley and the Black Chamber, the continuous reading of the Imperial Japanese mail revealed how many flightdecks the IJN was preparing, and that cause no small stir in the USN – both brown shoe and black shoe Navy.

Airedales wanted more flight decks. Skimmers wanted more AAA. They each got some more of both, including the transformation of the almost useless Omaha CLs as originally built into a class of CLAAs. Each had 5 – 5/38 tw mts. With several lighter AAA mounts added over time. There were no catapults, but they did retain torpedo tubes port and starboard. These will more than likely be landed as the need for more AAA becomes apparent. Class: Omaha, Richmond, Trenton, Concord, Detroit and Raleigh. Having both Detroit and Raleigh at Pearl Harbor on 07DEC41 does cause a small disturbance in the IJNs plans.

The two RN ships – the Queen Elizabeth class and the Hood Class have divergent courses. Jutland caused the RN to really take a close look at what happened to the BCs. Which led to two things. The quickest sailors of the newer BB’s at that time were the QE class. However, with their bow looking more as if it were designed to plough up sandbars, and the hull form almost as tubby as the USN BB’s afloat, that was still very short compared to the other ships (IJN!) being allowed by the modified WNT.
Therefore, they were almost entirely rebuilt in the name of repairs, maintenance, and overhaul. (AS were the Big Six in the USN in this Mod.) The main guns had their elevation increased, a new bow was formulated, and an exchange of information with the USN on boiler technology and turbine technology lead to more efficient boilers in the RN – which were incorporated into the overhaul of each of the five QE class BBs. Thus, the twin funnel appearance. The Bow was also replaced with a more seaworthy bow which would make them a little less wet forward, and as well enable them to maintain a speed more in keeping with the new battle line which was taking shape in the late 20’s and early 30’s – before the utter collapse of Naval limitation talks when the IJN would have nothing more to do with limitations in the face of the Japanese belief in Hakko Ichiu.

Thus the rebuild of the Queen Elizabeths makes a tough battleship even more formidable, and useful.

The planned Hood Battlecruiser and the Renowns were cancelled on the ways very shortly after construction is started. Whitehall was somewhat less than happy with the performance of the battle cruisers at Jutland, and some wiser heads realized that speed is not armor. In the place of the Hood as a BC, a quartet of ‘fast’ battleships are planned and built with virtually identical main batteries (albeit with 15/50 cal guns instead of 15/42s on the QE class) with a much more balanced combination of speed, offensive power, protection, seakeeping, range, habitability, at a very similar cost to the originally planned Hoods. These begin to take their place in the battle line as the older, now undergunned, dreadnoughts are retired, on a ton for ton basis. This class is the Hood, Nelson, Rodney, and Beatty.

The other two ships, the HMS Renown and Repulse are built the battleships which were allowed to be built by the RN to bring them up to the new WNT treatly limitation of 625,000 tons for capital ships. They are to balance the IJN’s being allowed to build the Tosa and Kaga as battleships which were completed well before 1930. Renown and Repulse were built to a 39,975 standard with three triple turrents with 3-16/45 mk I guns. (In effect, these replace the historical Rodney and Nelson), but with much more tonnage and new engine and boiler technology, these are much more capable ships. 13.5 side armor, 4.5” deck armor, 30 Kt speed, and almost 10,800 mile range.

For these six ships in the 40 Kton range, the RN retired Thunderer, King George V, Ajax , Centurion, and sent Tiger to Australia, to reach 20 BB’s and remain under the WNT limit of 625,000 tons until 1931.

This is an ever evolving mod… so there are lot more small changes in the ships on both sides. Such as, the Porter Class DDs are not 1850 tonners with 5/38 SP guns in tw mounts. They are 2250 tons with 8 5/38 DP in tw mts. They are built as DD squadron flags, which is why they are scattered throughout the fleet. The Somers class is virtually identical, but there are few of them, and they show up somewhat later since they spend most of their time in LANTFLT in this mod.

The IJN begins with eight fleet carriers, with 13 more building – some of which begin to show up early in 1942 – specifically two more Shokakus, and Junyo and Hiyo are built up more as an aircraft carrier should be . More will be sent later

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Post #: 5
RE: Correction to error in transmission.. - 8/3/2012 6:30:44 PM   
DOCUP

Nice Art RevRick.  Interesting changes to the ships mentioned.  Can you say more about the changes to the Big 6?

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 6
RE: Correction to error in transmission.. - 8/3/2012 7:08:08 PM   
JuanG

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick
Renown and Repulse were built to a 39,975 standard with three triple turrents with 3-16/45 mk I guns. (In effect, these replace the historical Rodney and Nelson), but with much more tonnage and new engine and boiler technology, these are much more capable ships. 13.5 side armor, 4.5” deck armor, 30 Kt speed, and almost 10,800 mile range.

This is too much ship for ~40,000tons standard; unless you these are rebuilt in the late 30's with USN engine technology of the time, and the range and speed are for post rebuild.

Suggest comparing what you propose as stats for this with the historical King George V and South Dakota classes to see why its a stretch. Something has to give if you intend the design to be realistic: either speed to ~28.5knots; or guns to 6x16/45 (maybe 8x15/50, though this means 4 turrets -> more weight per gun); or armour down ~10%; or alternatively, have the UK cheat and real tonnage at ~42-43,000tons standard.

< Message edited by JuanG -- 8/3/2012 7:09:59 PM >

Coral Sea HDM
AltWNT Scenarios

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 7
RE: Correction to error in transmission.. - 8/3/2012 9:30:17 PM   
RevRick

Hi, Juan..
I went back and checked again in my editor...
And I made a mistake in the date listed in the initial ship configuration. The Speed is listed at 28 kts. for the rest of the class upgrades, and she winds up at 41,500 tn in late 44 (if she survives that long!)

I do have some major rebuilds built into the time line because both the RN and the USN realize that the IJN will be showing them their heels - the USN by a wide, wide margin.

This also feeds into the rebuilds for the big six. In the longer version, they are taken in hand in the early 1934-36 or thereabouts and begin the upgrading process. The biggest is that they are completely re-engined and re-boilered. The the bow form is rebuilt and lengthened by 50 feet, and torpedo bulkheads added to the beams. Also, the decision was made to do away with the casemate secondary battery and 01 level AA guns and replace it entirely with 8 TW 5/38 DP mts since they armored deck had to be pierced to do the engine and boiler room reconstruction. The plan I originally wanted was to equip them with the engine sets from the old planned So. Dakota class. However, the hull according to Springsharp now has a natural speed of 25.65 kts, but it takes almost 80,000hp to reach it. Since the increase of the fleet is already planned due to the intelligence coming from the Japanese code being broken, and the Black Chamber not shut down, creating engines of that size should not be a problem.

Keep in mind also, that all of this was done after the four redesigned South Dakotas were in the water and worked up. Doing so leaves the USN with 2 New Yorks, 2 Nevadas, 2 Pennsylvanias, 4 New Mexicos (Minnesota and Kansas were sold to Brazil and Argentina respectively to add the USS Kansas to the OTL Mew Mexicos) in a slow group of 10, the now quicker 2 Tennessees and 4 Colorados at 25-26 kt, and a new grouping of South Dakota's at 30 kts for the alternative Treaty limitation of 20 BB's and 625,000 tons. As opposed, the IJN has four Kongos, 2 Fusos, 2 Hyugas, 2 Nagatos, and 2 Tosas. [In an expanded edition, the IJN fusses and fumes enough that in they reach the 10:10:7 ratio instead of the 5:5:3 ratio in the OTL WNT. That would add the Kii and Owari as repeat "improved Tosa's.]

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 8
RE: Correction to error in transmission.. - 8/3/2012 11:17:25 PM   
DOCUP

I am finally understanding some of this stuff about ships.  Pretty cool.   Sounds interesting RevRic.  Is this on a stock scen or one of the modded ones like DaBabes?

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Ship Side Art from RevRick Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI