Matrix Games Forums

Community impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Chess

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Chess Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chess - 7/31/2012 3:14:42 PM   
Neilster

I've recently got back into chess. Anybody else keen? Anyone with a really high rating?

Cheers Neilster
Post #: 1
RE: Chess - 7/31/2012 3:51:22 PM   
Orm

Nowdays I do not have enough patience for long chess games.

I did, however, once have a really, really low rating.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress. - Captain Eric Moody

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 2
RE: Chess - 7/31/2012 8:14:24 PM   
martok

I enjoy it, but I've never been more than an extremely mediocre player.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3
RE: Chess - 7/31/2012 9:21:04 PM   
Treale

Years ago I used to play at least several times a week. Love the game, but not too many people around to play with anymore! The same with board games....

Tony

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 4
RE: Chess - 8/1/2012 1:05:48 AM   
H Gilmer

I used to be decent. I have not played enough to keep my skills up. I can beat my cousin regularly, but he is not real good, either.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 5
RE: Chess - 8/1/2012 2:20:47 AM   
Joe 98

I too like chess.

It is best played opposite somebody over a table.

I once played a game online and the moves were so good I wondered if it was Boris Spasky !

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 6
RE: Chess - 8/1/2012 3:46:49 AM   
junk2drive

Cheese? I like cheese. Oh chess

There is a Chess forum at gamesquad if anyone is interested.

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 7
RE: Chess - 8/1/2012 4:19:31 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

I've recently got back into chess. Anybody else keen? Anyone with a really high rating? ...

Yeah, my chess computer, Fritz, is highly rated.

I haven't played against people since I was peace-keeping in Bosnia where low-tech games were still popular.

< Message edited by Joe D. -- 8/1/2012 4:20:29 PM >

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 8
RE: Chess - 8/1/2012 8:32:59 PM   
Neilster

I've got my rating up to 1515 and am showing steady improvement. I'm lazy in that I haven't learned any openings or endgame theory and to really improve my rating I need to.

If anyone's interested in learning chess, there are multiple online sources of tutorials and free software. The chess game that comes with Windows 7 is good fun and on its easy levels won't put off beginners by thrashing you. I really recommend kids learn chess because not only is it excellent intellectual stimulation, and fun, it teaches you a lot about sportsmanship and life. And it's a wargame!

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 9
RE: Chess - 8/3/2012 3:38:27 PM   
bean5671

if your having trouble finding someone for an OTB Game and really want tough high rated players try ICC
I play chess online everyday sometimes 1 min games others 5 very few are longer than 10 min

online chess is different than OTB and not everyone likes it but ICC has great teaching tools and a ton of IM's and FM's play online there

not spam so please dont target me
just trying to be helpful, chess is kind of a lost art in the the american midwest I can maybe find a game at the russian club in columbus but none of my friends even know how to play

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 10
RE: Chess - 8/4/2012 9:04:55 PM   
Alfred

quote:

I've recently got back into chess. Anybody else keen? Anyone with a really high rating?

Cheers Neilster

What exactly do you consider to be a really high rating?

I note in a post later on you say your rating is 1515. There is a real drop off in value playing chess against someone who is far too strong. Anything over a 300 rating point disparity between the players is likely to be of no value. Therefore you should be looking to play against players rated up to about 1800.

Personally, in view of the circumstances you have stated, I would recommend playing on average only against players rated no higher than 1650. Once you start meeting players rated above 1700 the chances increase substantially that your opponents do study opening theory and have some idea of endgame technique. You won't learn much if you are directed down the path of some opening book theory line which leads to a "won" position for your oponent.

Alfred

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 11
RE: Chess - 8/5/2012 10:40:47 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

Cheers Neilster

What exactly do you consider to be a really high rating?

I note in a post later on you say your rating is 1515. There is a real drop off in value playing chess against someone who is far too strong. Anything over a 300 rating point disparity between the players is likely to be of no value. Therefore you should be looking to play against players rated up to about 1800.

Personally, in view of the circumstances you have stated, I would recommend playing on average only against players rated no higher than 1650. Once you start meeting players rated above 1700 the chances increase substantially that your opponents do study opening theory and have some idea of endgame technique. You won't learn much if you are directed down the path of some opening book theory line which leads to a "won" position for your oponent.

Alfred

I'm aware of that. I was just wondering if there were any people here who had ratings of say 2000 or above.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 12
RE: Chess - 8/5/2012 6:47:46 PM   
Alfred

Yes.

Alfred

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 13
RE: Chess - 8/6/2012 2:42:02 PM   
AlanBernardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

Years ago I used to play at least several times a week. Love the game, but not too many people around to play with anymore! The same with board games....

Playing "several times a week" will hardly equate to improving your game. :)

Alan

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 14
RE: Chess - 8/6/2012 2:48:55 PM   
AlanBernardo

quote:

Anything over a 300 rating point disparity between the players is likely to be of no value. Therefore you should be looking to play against players rated up to about 1800.

Someone with a 1500 rating will get totally swamped by someone with an 1800 rating. I'd say that it would be highly unlikely that the 1500-rated player could ever beat the 1800 player, unless the latter were somehow incapacitated (e.g., drunk).

This is of course assuming that both ratings refer to same time limitations (e.g., 5 minute games, etc.).

Alan

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 15
RE: Chess - 8/8/2012 1:15:02 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlanBernardo

quote:

Anything over a 300 rating point disparity between the players is likely to be of no value. Therefore you should be looking to play against players rated up to about 1800.

Someone with a 1500 rating will get totally swamped by someone with an 1800 rating. I'd say that it would be highly unlikely that the 1500-rated player could ever beat the 1800 player, unless the latter were somehow incapacitated (e.g., drunk).

This is of course assuming that both ratings refer to same time limitations (e.g., 5 minute games, etc.).

Alan

I suppose it depends on what is meant by "swamped"

In my post I said more than a 300 rating difference would be of no real value. Furthermore I recommended that the gap really be no more than 150.

For those interested the predicted results are as follows.

In a 10 game match (where a win = 2 points, a draw = 1 point and a loss = 0 points) between two players with a rating difference of 300, the higher rated player is expected to score 8.5 points, and the lower rated player to score 1.5. I wouldn't automatically classify that as being "swamped" because the game play might have been much closer than the ultimate result would suggest.

If the rating difference were only 150 (which is what I recommended) thre higher rated player is expected to score 7 points and the lower rated player 3 points.

Alfred

(in reply to AlanBernardo)
Post #: 16
RE: Chess - 8/8/2012 12:12:49 PM   
mikkey

I like chess, especially during traveling

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 17
RE: Chess - 8/8/2012 3:45:32 PM   
jsusuja

When i am with my friends then i starting playing chess. i think chess is the good time pass and i always manage to play this games when i am free with my friends.

I want to say everybody of this site member that keep playing chess for relaxation.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Chess Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote