Chess

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Neilster

Chess

Post by Neilster »

I've recently got back into chess. Anybody else keen? Anyone with a really high rating?

Cheers Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Orm

RE: Chess

Post by Orm »

Nowdays I do not have enough patience for long chess games.

I did, however, once have a really, really low rating. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
martok

Post by martok »

I enjoy it, but I've never been more than an extremely mediocre player. [:'(]

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Years ago I used to play at least several times a week. Love the game, but not too many people around to play with anymore! The same with board games....
Tony
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I used to be decent. I have not played enough to keep my skills up. I can beat my cousin regularly, but he is not real good, either.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I too like chess.

It is best played opposite somebody over a table.

I once played a game online and the moves were so good I wondered if it was Boris Spasky !

junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Cheese? I like cheese. Oh chess

There is a Chess forum at gamesquad if anyone is interested.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

I've recently got back into chess. Anybody else keen? Anyone with a really high rating? ...

Yeah, my chess computer, Fritz, is highly rated.

I haven't played against people since I was peace-keeping in Bosnia where low-tech games were still popular.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

I've got my rating up to 1515 and am showing steady improvement. I'm lazy in that I haven't learned any openings or endgame theory and to really improve my rating I need to.

If anyone's interested in learning chess, there are multiple online sources of tutorials and free software. The chess game that comes with Windows 7 is good fun and on its easy levels won't put off beginners by thrashing you. I really recommend kids learn chess because not only is it excellent intellectual stimulation, and fun, it teaches you a lot about sportsmanship and life. And it's a wargame! [:)]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
bean5671

Post by bean5671 »

if your having trouble finding someone for an OTB Game and really want tough high rated players try ICC
I play chess online everyday sometimes 1 min games others 5 very few are longer than 10 min

online chess is different than OTB and not everyone likes it but ICC has great teaching tools and a ton of IM's and FM's play online there

not spam so please dont target me
just trying to be helpful, chess is kind of a lost art in the the american midwest I can maybe find a game at the russian club in columbus but none of my friends even know how to play
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

I've recently got back into chess. Anybody else keen? Anyone with a really high rating?

Cheers Neilster

What exactly do you consider to be a really high rating?

I note in a post later on you say your rating is 1515. There is a real drop off in value playing chess against someone who is far too strong. Anything over a 300 rating point disparity between the players is likely to be of no value. Therefore you should be looking to play against players rated up to about 1800.

Personally, in view of the circumstances you have stated, I would recommend playing on average only against players rated no higher than 1650. Once you start meeting players rated above 1700 the chances increase substantially that your opponents do study opening theory and have some idea of endgame technique. You won't learn much if you are directed down the path of some opening book theory line which leads to a "won" position for your oponent.

Alfred
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Cheers Neilster

What exactly do you consider to be a really high rating?

I note in a post later on you say your rating is 1515. There is a real drop off in value playing chess against someone who is far too strong. Anything over a 300 rating point disparity between the players is likely to be of no value. Therefore you should be looking to play against players rated up to about 1800.

Personally, in view of the circumstances you have stated, I would recommend playing on average only against players rated no higher than 1650. Once you start meeting players rated above 1700 the chances increase substantially that your opponents do study opening theory and have some idea of endgame technique. You won't learn much if you are directed down the path of some opening book theory line which leads to a "won" position for your oponent.

Alfred
I'm aware of that. I was just wondering if there were any people here who had ratings of say 2000 or above.

Cheers, Neilster

Cheers, Neilster
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Yes.

Alfred
AlanBernardo

Post by AlanBernardo »

ORIGINAL: Treale

Years ago I used to play at least several times a week. Love the game, but not too many people around to play with anymore! The same with board games....

Playing "several times a week" will hardly equate to improving your game. :)

Alan
AlanBernardo

Post by AlanBernardo »

Anything over a 300 rating point disparity between the players is likely to be of no value. Therefore you should be looking to play against players rated up to about 1800.

Someone with a 1500 rating will get totally swamped by someone with an 1800 rating. I'd say that it would be highly unlikely that the 1500-rated player could ever beat the 1800 player, unless the latter were somehow incapacitated (e.g., drunk).

This is of course assuming that both ratings refer to same time limitations (e.g., 5 minute games, etc.).

Alan
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: AlanBernardo
Anything over a 300 rating point disparity between the players is likely to be of no value. Therefore you should be looking to play against players rated up to about 1800.

Someone with a 1500 rating will get totally swamped by someone with an 1800 rating. I'd say that it would be highly unlikely that the 1500-rated player could ever beat the 1800 player, unless the latter were somehow incapacitated (e.g., drunk).

This is of course assuming that both ratings refer to same time limitations (e.g., 5 minute games, etc.).

Alan

I suppose it depends on what is meant by "swamped"

In my post I said more than a 300 rating difference would be of no real value. Furthermore I recommended that the gap really be no more than 150.

For those interested the predicted results are as follows.

In a 10 game match (where a win = 2 points, a draw = 1 point and a loss = 0 points) between two players with a rating difference of 300, the higher rated player is expected to score 8.5 points, and the lower rated player to score 1.5. I wouldn't automatically classify that as being "swamped" because the game play might have been much closer than the ultimate result would suggest.

If the rating difference were only 150 (which is what I recommended) thre higher rated player is expected to score 7 points and the lower rated player 3 points.

Alfred
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

I like chess, especially during traveling
jsusuja

Post by jsusuja »

When i am with my friends then i starting playing chess. i think chess is the good time pass and i always manage to play this games when i am free with my friends.

I want to say everybody of this site member that keep playing chess for relaxation.

Return to “General Discussion”