Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance - 8/4/2012 8:36:06 AM   
Gareth_Bryne

Well, both of the personas involved smile in a similar way...

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to defekt)
Post #: 31
RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance - 12/4/2012 6:26:49 PM   
vonHart

Recently I had some problems with my machine which I fixed by disabling all active services.
A few hours ago I once again started to play Distant Worlds, only this time with all unnecessary services still disabled and e voilà, the game runs as smooth as a buttered baby.
Star Amount: Huge, Physical Size: Huge, Expansion: old, AI Empires: 19, Nebula Detail and Star Density: Max
Performance: just like the ocean under the moon

There will be no sleep for me tonight...

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 32
RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance - 12/5/2012 2:21:06 AM   
Cruis.In

what is active services and how do you disable?

I too have this issue. I suspect it is not as bad as the OP's own. But I posted about this when I first bought this game. This game is too great to be held back by this. Using .NET and XNA are probably its major issues. The fact that its tied to those.

DW needs a new rendering engine which uses the GPU and not the CPU. Should be fairly easy for a developer to do a rendering engine or license a cheapish one, you don't have to replace or recode the game logic.

But the decision to leave DW running on this crappy engine, after all these years and three expansion packs doesn't surprise me from a developer who releases no demo for their game and charges outrageous amounts compared to similar games. They shoot themselves in the foot, my only reason for it could be they do not want too many people playing DW.

DW is so awesome even with the engine flaw, the cumbersome UI. A demo of this game would surely get more people to fork out. Who is gonna fork out 100 dollars for a game with no demo?

Anyway I digressed. My Core i7, nuff ram, nuff everything gets sputter issues on large scale combat, when the ships start to shoot. Yet people are here saying they get no issues on all settings, large galaxies, large combat with low end computers.

These reasons make it difficult for a fix for one person to fix for another. Could be firmware, mb drivers, multiple core issues, windows issues, all those issues in one, some of those issues.

I've heard someone say turning star density to lowest and setting FPS to like 15, smooths it out, try that along with the other suggestions see if it helps you out.

(in reply to vonHart)
Post #: 33
RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance - 12/5/2012 4:18:31 AM   
Shark7

Active services are all the little 'helpful' programs that run in the background. Many of them are necessary, but some of them really are just system baggage that can be done without.

I know how to turn them off, but my advice is that unless you are 100% sure what you are doing, its best not to mess with it. You can really mess things up if you get to messing around in the system configuration.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 34
RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance - 12/5/2012 12:02:27 PM   
vonHart

@Cruis.In
Maybe I misread your last line so just let me make things clear. I do not have any performance issues once I disable all unnecessary services. The ocean under the moon moves smooth... ;-)
Shark7 is quite right if he says that you can badly mess up your OS by tinkering with the services. However, the Devs of Windows have thought of this possibility and supported us with a safety switch, in case we are in the mood of tinkering.

1. Open the run box. Either by clicking on the "start button" and "run" or by pressing the "windows button" on your keyboard while simultaneously pressing "r"
2. Type the command "MSCONFIG" into the run box and press Enter
3. Click on "Services"
4. Make sure the box "hide all microsoft services" is ticked. Now you only see services non vital for Windows
5. Click on "disable all"
6. Click on "Accept changes"
7. Restart your computer and test the performance in DW
8. Give us some feedback :-)

Be aware however, that if you keep these settings you need to start every service manually if you need them. The service starts automatically if you try to run the program which is in need of the service. But if you have any programmes who runs themselves during the system start (like anti-virus or firewall) you have to activate them manually. Of course you can also activate the corresponding services via the MSCONFIG command to keep them running. Or, if this solution works, you can only disable the services while you are playing DW.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 35
RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance - 12/20/2012 11:59:09 AM   
Grimnirsson

quote:

And DW IS a singular case, it runs smoothly on otherwise low-end computers with enough processing power, and sometimes has problems on high-end systems.

So after reading this thread and some reviews that say that DW is needing a high end PC... I actually don't know whether my notebook will run this game smoothly or not - what do guys think?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP305E7A-A03US-specs

8Gb Ram, Dual Core, HD6480G integrated gfx chip (http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6480G.55685.0.html), motherboard version 305E4A

Armada 2526 is running fine btw...

< Message edited by Grimnirsson -- 12/20/2012 12:00:09 PM >

(in reply to vonHart)
Post #: 36
RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance - 12/20/2012 12:13:22 PM   
Bingeling

It should be a problem. You may want to avoid the largest galaxy settings due to pace, though, but all depends on various stuff...

It is a lot of game to be had even if you avoid more than 700 star galaxies...

(in reply to Grimnirsson)
Post #: 37
RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance - 12/20/2012 7:24:57 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

May lack processing power.

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 38
RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance - 12/22/2012 10:32:03 AM   
Buio

According to an official post about the expansion, performance is getting a boost. I hope it will get back-patched to people without the Shadows expansion too (even though I personally will get the expansion immediately).

I don't think I can link yet, new user limitation. It is in the "Distant Worlds: Shadows" topic on page 6 (with default forum setting).

Here is a quote of the post;

quote:

One thing I have not mentioned is that we've made some major improvements to the underlying graphics engine which _should_ mean a significant performance improvement for everyone. So far, in my testing, much less graphical lag and higher fps on low and mid-range systems, though until we start the wider beta test we won't know if that's the case for most players.

quote:

Performance overall is quite improved, we'll have to see if it's enough. As always, we tend to improve performance and then find new ways to slow it down again with new features.

Anyway, performance is indeed low even though I have a high end system. Have no idea why. I've tested some things I though might affect it, but no change.

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 39
RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance - 12/22/2012 4:56:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grimnirsson
8Gb Ram, Dual Core, HD6480G integrated gfx chip (http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6480G.55685.0.html), motherboard version 305E4A

It should run fine, better at the smaller galaxy sizes.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Grimnirsson)
Post #: 40
RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance - 12/22/2012 6:11:05 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grimnirsson

It should run fine, better at the smaller galaxy sizes.

Regards,

- Erik

If that runs 'fine' what would a systems specs need to be to run DW at 'optimum' then? Curious as I have upgraded to XP (SP3) 32bit, a dual core, 4gig and a GeForce 8800 GT (1gig) to play it and that didn't differ much from the single core and 512mb that is now running my music box and fish tank.

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 12/22/2012 6:15:07 PM >

Darkspires's File Repository

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> RE: 1.7.0.6 Performance Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI