Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

basic questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> basic questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
basic questions - 7/29/2012 5:38:14 AM   
Pocus

Hi,

I'm trying to rediscover this game, having it on a shelf since far too long. For that matter, I'm trying a small scenario, the Campaign for North Africa 41-43, Axis side (Desert Fox start).

Some questions if you please:

1- despite what is in the manual, I can't manage to find the order to move an entire stack at once. Where should I look?
2- I have 2 units with supply symbol, each with 999 trucks. Where should I put them? On a big city, close to my troops? I don't know.
3- Before launching a series of attacks, I must make sure that all my units have spend some portions of their move, or it will be lost, when the first attack 'eat up time' for the entire turn, right?

Thanks in advance!

AGEOD Team - Lead Developer
Check our historical strategy games on the American Civil War, the Roman Republic, Frederick the Great, War of American Independence and others!
Post #: 1
RE: basic questions - 7/29/2012 5:47:23 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

Hi,

I'm trying to rediscover this game, having it on a shelf since far too long. For that matter, I'm trying a small scenario, the Campaign for North Africa 41-43, Axis side (Desert Fox start).

1- despite what is in the manual, I can't manage to find the order to move an entire stack at once. Where should I look?
2- I have 2 units with supply symbol, each with 999 trucks. Where should I put them? On a big city, close to my troops? I don't know.
3- Before launching a series of attacks, I must make sure that all my units have spend some portions of their move, or it will be lost, when the first attack 'eat up time' for the entire turn, right?

Thanks in advance!

1) Select the stack you want to move. Right-Click at destination and select 'Move All' in the pop-up menu.
2) See CFNA complimentary document and house rules of Bob Cross. Supply units enhance your supply radius and in the scenario description they have to end their move on an improved road. They ONLY contribute with their transport assets the turn they are NOT moved.
3) See thread 'Attack Planner' at: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3135439&mpage=1&key=Attack%2CPlanner�

Klink, Oberst

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 2
RE: basic questions - 7/29/2012 12:39:16 PM   
Menschenfresser

To expand upon Herr Klink's answer:

1) I recently took this game up again after being away. It took me a few missteps before remembering that I had to hold down the right mouse button a split second for the menu he mentions to appear. I believe with the old COW it came up right away. Perhaps that's because of my settings. Not sure.
2) IIRC, units with the supply icon increase supply by one level in all surrounding hexes. So in order to benefit, a unit needs to be next to it or stacked with it. Different scenarios use them differently, but I believe in this one, they move fast enough to keep up with your advance. When on the move forward, I keep them in the middle of the pack, trying to have the most units end their turns adjacent to them. When on the attack or defense, I keep them slightly in the rear, where I can supply my artillery and pull back any units needing a faster resupply.
As to the trucks, Klink mentions transport assets. Again, IIRC, units that have transport assets, like trucks or horse teams, will contribute them to the pool to move supplies if the unit owning them has not moved.
3) As you get better with planning attacks, you will start to feel comfortable leaving units partially moved. I don't know if CFNA has its Max Rounds Per Battle set, or not. I'm a 3 rounds per turn guy. I almost always shoot for three. Round 1, units that haven't moved at all (or very very little) attack. Round 2, anything with less than 50% of its movement points, depending on unit density I might hold some units back for a second wave. Round 3, "Fire Everything!" I exaggerate, but in general, I kicked the excessive round micromanagement habit years ago. There were a few old school COW players who could squeeze a million rounds out of every turn, but A) it imbalances almost every scenario & B) it's no fun. I believe the record was 26 on a high shock turn in Europe Aflame.

Sorry if I ramble.

I'm bored.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
RE: basic questions - 7/29/2012 4:58:30 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

Hi,

This is discussed in the "What's New" item IX 40: Skipping the Unit Movement Popup. When first installed, this feature is turned on, and you must hold the right mouse button down for the specified delay (in seconds) to get the popup. You can turn the feature off, though, by setting the "Menu Show Delay" to 1 (see the advanced rules dialog). Then a right-click will always bring up the popup.

quote:

Those are supply units. They enhance your supply trace by reducing the distance to a supply point by one supply radius, for all locations within a supply radius of them. Their effects are not cumulative, though. So, keep one of them within a supply radius of the front lines (25 in this scenario). Note that this scenario is designed to use the new supply rules - so that radius is 25 MPs (it would be 25 hexes under the old supply rules). Keep the other unit elsewhere as a spare, or to enhance some other part of the map. Note that supply units also provide a supply benefit to adjacent units, just like an HQ, as well.

quote:

Correct, and this is best viewed using the Attack Planner. So always use that when setting up attacks. This is also visible in the "Circle of Stars" on the Control Panel, and in the Info Panel, if the cursor is held over that circle area. I have an article available (see the Article Index sticky thread) about maximizing combat rounds.

I also have an article on CFNA in that index as well.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 4
RE: basic questions - 7/29/2012 7:03:06 PM   
Pocus

Thank you all for the detailed and courteous answers!

AGEOD Team - Lead Developer
Check our historical strategy games on the American Civil War, the Roman Republic, Frederick the Great, War of American Independence and others!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> basic questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI