Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to kill P-47D2??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How to kill P-47D2?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 1:07:14 AM   
ny59giants

I'm in late Sept '43 and my opponent is sending in multiple sweeps of P-47D2s at max altitude (we don't have a house rule on altitude). Is there a combination of fighters that do well against them?? I keep my fighters at 20k or below so I lose some when they get a bounce on me. Do I need to max out my fighter altitudes even if it is still lower??

Post #: 1
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 1:19:20 AM   
SuluSea

Hi Micheal, have you given thought to staggering cap and either----

Use mediocrity (both pilots and airframes) as your lowest altitude with some of your better pilots/fighters 4-6K above it
Your best defensive jocks in the most maneveurable fighter at the lowest level and you better pilots/fighters 4-6k above it

It's a safe assumption trying to beat the P-47 at that height is bad news.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 1:23:14 AM   
Commander Stormwolf

air model is biased towards the high-alt fighters

they get a) max speed b) high alt mvr c) max alt

if that were the case in the war.. then the mig-3 would have been the best fighter in the world

best fighters actually were corsair / ki-84 / spitfire XIV that had their top speed at about 20,000 feet with reasonable wing loading

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 3
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 2:40:16 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Stormwolf

if that were the case in the war.. then the mig-3 would have been the best fighter in the world

best fighters actually were corsair / ki-84 / spitfire XIV that had their top speed at about 20,000 feet with reasonable wing loading

This contributes to the op's post how exactly?

Sadly Michael I haven't encountered P-47's yet in the game. My guess would be as Sulu suggests, crappy fighters and pilots at low alitude to draw them down so your better fighters may have a chance to get a higher altitude pass.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 7/26/2012 2:44:07 AM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Commander Stormwolf)
Post #: 4
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 3:31:07 AM   
Sardaukar

SuluSea has the answer.

Partial answer to high-altitude sweeps is "layered CAP". It's not perfect answer, but brings the fight to more even ground.

Allied example is F4F Wildcats at 20k, P-40Es at 15k and P-39D at 10k in same base.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 5
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 3:32:40 AM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Stormwolf

Look, dude. Your mod is fine an all, and you're free to any opinion you have on anything.. however, you ALWAYS take the chance to drive off topic with this stuff.. Start your own mod thread in the mod place and call it good.

Staggered alt on cap would do I would think... however the high alt is a big adv for the P47 in this case..

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to Commander Stormwolf)
Post #: 6
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 6:01:43 AM   
PaxMondo

The only thing that works for me is numeric superiority.  You're prolly still with Zero/Tojo.  I find I have to have minimum 2:1 odds* to be able to handle the Thuds.  So if he is sweeping with 35 Thuds, then I need 70 Tojo's in the air ... since only 1/3 of your a/c on CAP are actually in the air, that means I need 210 Tojo's in my groups on the ground flying at 100% CAP.  Lower CAP settings mean more Tojo's.  If you have 45 Tojo's per group, that's at least 5, but more likely 6 groups.  Hard to do, but the results have always been worth it for me.  I would expect to knock down over half of the Thuds that first day .. I doubt they will return after that.

* George/Frank would need lower odds ... say 1.5 -> 1.75:1

Pax

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 7
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 7:06:46 AM   
John 3rd

Staggered CAP and numbers PLUS a thermonuclear device to detonate over their home bases!

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 8
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 7:27:18 AM   
LoBaron

I agree with what is being said here, but Pax Mondo and John hit the nail IMO.

- You need absolute numerical superiority, sadly this really means 200+ airframes to counter an elite 30+ Tbolt raid, depending on detection range.

- listen to John 3rd. He is absolutely right. To effectively fight back you need to threaten their homebase. If you stay passive, you make every single enemy
fighter airframe available for sweeps (the exact opposite of what you want), and you completely cede the initiative. That is equal to losing already.

- As an addition, I am not a fan of the "symmetric" layered CAP, meaning regular alt bands @10, 15, 20k. Try to modify it a bit if you use something similar.
The best combination in my opinion is to put the majority of fighters at their best alt bands, staggered only a few thousand ft apart, and then a thin layer
of max alt top cover (e.g. by Georges, if not available, Tonys) to exploit any sweeper that gets pulled down into the fray below.

This could look like: 40% 12k, 20% 14k, 30% 19k, 10% 32k, depending on the airframes you are using. Simple chance should pull most of the enemy fighters
down low, and your (hopefully) best pilots then have a chance to dive on them.

One of the most important traits of a Japanese late war pilot is def skill btw.

That said, if you think the P47 is ugly, wait for the Spitfire VIII. That is a beast...

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 9
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 7:57:40 AM   
ny59giants

I have the Tojo IIa and just getting the IIc into production and the Frank for Army airframes. For Navy, I have the M5 and the M5b is just replacing the M5 on my CVs along with the George. The Thud has such an advantage in speed and ceiling, it is going to be hard to overcome. I will be experimenting over the next few days to see if I can kill more once I lose the numerical advantage I have on the first few sweeps. It was the 4th and 5th sweep that had me lose 20 airframes for 0 Thuds!!

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 10
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 9:12:14 AM   
tony luke

Rob and I see similar results with even Frank and George against H/Alt P47. We actually often achieved our best results putting everything down at 6000ft! Seems to screw the Thuds up a fair bit; however, don't know why.

Courage,

AKL

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 11
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 10:18:03 AM   
Sardaukar

Frankly, P-47 should be a beast when high. It was arguably the best high-altitude fighter of WW II. When high, maneuverability just does not count much, raw power does.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to tony luke)
Post #: 12
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 10:35:35 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

- You need absolute numerical superiority, sadly this really means 200+ airframes to counter an elite 30+ Tbolt raid, depending on detection range.

- listen to John 3rd. He is absolutely right. To effectively fight back you need to threaten their homebase. If you stay passive, you make every single enemy
fighter airframe available for sweeps (the exact opposite of what you want), and you completely cede the initiative. That is equal to losing already.

- As an addition, I am not a fan of the "symmetric" layered CAP, meaning regular alt bands @10, 15, 20k. Try to modify it a bit if you use something similar.
The best combination in my opinion is to put the majority of fighters at their best alt bands, staggered only a few thousand ft apart, and then a thin layer
of max alt top cover (e.g. by Georges, if not available, Tonys) to exploit any sweeper that gets pulled down into the fray below.

This could look like: 40% 12k, 20% 14k, 30% 19k, 10% 32k, depending on the airframes you are using. Simple chance should pull most of the enemy fighters

That said, if you think the P47 is ugly, wait for the Spitfire VIII. That is a beast...

LoBaron, I usually use best MVR altitude of fighter, since altitude also counts with bounce, thus my example.

And I second what LoBaron says..never neglect Def skill..it is difference if your pilot comes home and gains exp or burns.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 13
RE: How to kill P-47D2?? - 7/26/2012 2:12:19 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Good advice. I tend to it a bit differently, putting each fighter unit at a different band, even if it is only 2k above or below, so that no 2 units are at the same altitude. It's the whole 'don't put all your eggs in one basket' approach.

By the way, this also works for airfield raids with the 2Es.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How to kill P-47D2?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI