For future modding purposes, it would be good if you could implement the following features in a future release (maybe some are there already):
- Hidden convoy routes that deliver PP/VP between supply sources and ports, and that can be interdicted by a warship sitting on them.
- In-supply ports should act as a strategic supply source (For a % of total regime supply set by the designer) for the owner but only deliver supplies to units that can trace a line of supply to the port.
- The map should have several hidden convoy routes and the AI or player should use different ones at different times - let's say they can change weekly.
- Air recon should have a 10% chance to detect an active convoy route
- Surface vessels a 5% chance to detect route
- Subs a 2.5% chance to detect
- Anti-supply operations start after detection with different values for air, surface and sub activity
- Create an air unit that can be based on any water hex and which moves like a naval unit from hex to hex.
- At any time during movement this naval air unit can also fly missions.
- Naval air units contain a mix of fighters , DB/TB and recon AC.
- Naval air units can stack and be combined into a 'Carrier Group' (like a division) and then move as a group - group move would be their default.
- Naval air units have their escort surface units built in and can survive a weak surface attack.
- AI CGs always retreat from enemy surface groups that are detected within n hexes and maintain optimum range for air attack.
- Close recon (say 4 hexes x 360 degrees is automatic.
- Far recon is dictated by the player in a selected 180 degree arc out to maximum air range with a % detection chance that is affected by strength, morale, leadership and experience.
- The AI always has far recon active 360 degrees.
- A new leader unit
- Can stack and travel with any selected naval unit = there is no 'naval HQ unit', the Admiral travels on one of the combat vessels
- They die with the naval unit
- They can play various naval cards, etc.
- AI will conduct amphib escorted invasions of VPs that are adjacent to a sea hex (e.g. a pacific island)
- AI will only do this if it can muster a combined transport, surface escort and Air Group into an amphib task force
- Specific SFTs with amphib training (Marines) should be used for these operations (in the same way that only paras can be parachuted)
- Non-amphib capable troops should suffer a major combat hit on landing, lasting for 1 turn
- Amphib should be possible only on a new coastal hex type called 'Beach'
- No amphib move directly into port hexes or onto non-beach hexes.
- New fort type called 'coastal defences' is required.
These features will open the engine up to Pacific War modding, which is an area with a lot of interested players.