Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Political Points? Where are you when I need you?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Political Points? Where are you when I need you? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 3:02:30 PM   
Auchinleck

I had a good game going as the allies. Everyday now, I have 0 political points. I thought I read you get new ones everyday. I can't tell when I'm using them up, or where they've all gone to. Yes I changed some commanders at the beginning of the game, but now I'm finding out the hard way that the game is useless without them. My carriers are low on aircraft as a result of steady combat ops since the beginning of the war, and some badly needed squadrons that I could use to replace them with, are sitting on airfields on the west coast at 'restricted' commands, doing nobody any ggod just 'parked' there. So I can't access them. This, from what I can tell, has ruined my war. I get no replacements for my carrier aircraft, so U.S. carriers can no longer face enemy carriers, because their aircraft numbers are too depleted. It's only April of 42. Manila and Bataan are holding out in the PI. Batavia and Soerbaja are my only two major bases still holding out in Java. Rangoon is holding out, but probably not for that much longer. Singapore and Palembang have fallen. All those stats are historically semi accurate, and seem to give the game a nice historical feel, but the 0 political points thing is killing my game. Is this a salvagable situation? Will I start to see some carrier aircraft reinforcements in 1942?
Post #: 1
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 3:09:31 PM   
Hermit

Why don't you disband some of the West Coast squadrons so their planes return to the pool? In a few days those plane will be available as replacements for your carriers squadrons.

(in reply to Auchinleck)
Post #: 2
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 3:20:06 PM   
Sardaukar

Did you check if you had ships to be withdrawn or squadrons to be withdrawn/disbanded? If that is not done, each one eats Political Points daily.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Hermit)
Post #: 3
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 3:20:13 PM   
bk19@mweb.co.za

Hello Auchinleck,

Presumably you are playing a standard campaign scenario, if not first begin by checking the scenario setup for this information. If you are in fact playing a full campaign (stock or custom) you can expect that you will receive Political Points every day. The amount may change depending on the custom/stock scenario though. I am currently in progress with the Reluctant Admiral 3.4.2 which provides 60 PP for both the Allied and Japanese player each day.

If you are playing a campaign scenario, and you are not actively spending the your allotment then the following ways of burning PPs need to be remembered.

1. Change of unit commanding officers may cost PP's
2. Change of aircraft type in air squadrons may cost PP's
3. Change of command HQ's for Land Combat Units may cost PP's
4. Failure to garrison locations with sufficient strength will cost PP's as well as trigger damage to local infrastructure.

There may be a couple of other ways... those are the ones I remember of the top of my head...

Aha, that is another expensive cause for missing PP's... Nicely done Sardaukar!!

< Message edited by bk19@mweb.co.za -- 7/24/2012 3:21:37 PM >

(in reply to Hermit)
Post #: 4
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 4:16:23 PM   
USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Did you check if you had ships to be withdrawn or squadrons to be withdrawn/disbanded? If that is not done, each one eats Political Points daily.

99% likely to be the problem!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 5
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 4:20:03 PM   
Canoerebel

The Allies never have enough political points. It is critical, therefore, that the Allies timely withdraw (or disband) aircraft squadrons and withdraw ships. Failure to do so is a grievous offense (meanwhile, don't ask who has a big xAP overdue for withdrawal but stuck in the Capetown channel...)

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 6
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 4:29:39 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

99% likely to be the problem!

No doubt........check two things on the Intel Screen:

1. "Group Withdrawl Schedule". If any units are OVERDUE, withdraw them immediately; I bet anything this is the problem, you didn't withdraw any of the west coast restricted US Army air units. There are alot of them
2. "Ship Withdrawl": Same deal; anything OVERDUE, get it to a major port and withdraw immediately. Colombo, Karachi, Sydney, San Fran I think are the places you can do that on-map

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 7
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 4:40:09 PM   
Canoerebel

Yeah, you can't withdraw ships from Pearl Harbor (that catches players all the time). I believe you can withdraw from Melbourne and I wouldn't be surprised if you can from other major West Coast ports in addition to San Fran.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 8
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 4:51:52 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: bk19@mweb.co.za

Hello Auchinleck,

Presumably you are playing a standard campaign scenario, if not first begin by checking the scenario setup for this information. If you are in fact playing a full campaign (stock or custom) you can expect that you will receive Political Points every day. The amount may change depending on the custom/stock scenario though. I am currently in progress with the Reluctant Admiral 3.4.2 which provides 60 PP for both the Allied and Japanese player each day.

If you are playing a campaign scenario, and you are not actively spending the your allotment then the following ways of burning PPs need to be remembered.

1. Change of unit commanding officers may cost PP's
2. Change of aircraft type in air squadrons may cost PP's
3. Change of command HQ's for Land Combat Units may cost PP's
4. Failure to garrison locations with sufficient strength will cost PP's as well as trigger damage to local infrastructure.

There may be a couple of other ways... those are the ones I remember of the top of my head...

Aha, that is another expensive cause for missing PP's... Nicely done Sardaukar!!

#4 is a new one for me. Was this introduced in one of the patches (and I missed it)?

The last I knew, not meeting garrison requirements simply resulted in damage to the airfield and/or port and a loss of victory points. I had no idea political points were also involved.

(in reply to bk19@mweb.co.za)
Post #: 9
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 4:52:57 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hermit

Why don't you disband some of the West Coast squadrons so their planes return to the pool? In a few days those plane will be available as replacements for your carriers squadrons.

But attempting to disband some restricted air units on the west coast you get a pop up that states you will permanently loose the pilots and planes if you proceed... Thus these planes DON'T go into the pool... why does this happen to some and not to others???

(in reply to Hermit)
Post #: 10
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 4:53:34 PM   
foliveti

I was not aware that failure to garrison or changing the aircraft type had a pp cost. Is this in the manual.

Frank

(in reply to bk19@mweb.co.za)
Post #: 11
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 5:50:28 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: foliveti

I was not aware that failure to garrison or changing the aircraft type had a pp cost. Is this in the manual.

Changing aircraft costs PP only in for certain squadrons changing to certain other types. The main/only one I can think of is for Japanese single engine bombers changing to 2E. For example, Sonias changing to Sallys. I believe the cost is almost always 75 PPs to do so. Considering that the Japanese player has plenty of other things to spend those PPs on, it doesn't happen much.

Like you though, I'm puzzled by the garrison thing. Another poster mentioned it above, but I'm waiting for confirmation or rebuttal.

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 12
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 5:54:28 PM   
Canoerebel

Many bases on the map have garrison requirements. If you fail to meet the minimum garrison you lose victory points (not political points) and your base suffers damage. Not every base has a garrison requirement.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 13
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 5:55:15 PM   
Lecivius

I have seen low garrison cost PP's in game.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 14
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 5:55:39 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hermit

But attempting to disband some restricted air units on the west coast you get a pop up that states you will permanently loose the pilots and planes if you proceed... Thus these planes DON'T go into the pool... why does this happen to some and not to others???

The ones lost permanently are going to the ETO.

The Moose

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 15
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 6:01:53 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Auchinleck

I had a good game going as the allies. Everyday now, I have 0 political points. I thought I read you get new ones everyday. I can't tell when I'm using them up, or where they've all gone to. Yes I changed some commanders at the beginning of the game, but now I'm finding out the hard way that the game is useless without them. My carriers are low on aircraft as a result of steady combat ops since the beginning of the war, and some badly needed squadrons that I could use to replace them with, are sitting on airfields on the west coast at 'restricted' commands, doing nobody any ggod just 'parked' there. So I can't access them. This, from what I can tell, has ruined my war. I get no replacements for my carrier aircraft, so U.S. carriers can no longer face enemy carriers, because their aircraft numbers are too depleted. It's only April of 42. Manila and Bataan are holding out in the PI. Batavia and Soerbaja are my only two major bases still holding out in Java. Rangoon is holding out, but probably not for that much longer. Singapore and Palembang have fallen. All those stats are historically semi accurate, and seem to give the game a nice historical feel, but the 0 political points thing is killing my game. Is this a salvagable situation? Will I start to see some carrier aircraft reinforcements in 1942?

Good answers elsewhere on where your PPs are likely going. You need to do your withdrawls or pay the piper. Your daily Ops Report will tell you if you're overdue to withdraw either planes or ships and how much it has already cost you in PPs. Get in the habit of reading the Ops Report after every orders resolution phase.

On aircraft replacements, under the I key on the task bar you'll find a report detailing your current pools, as well as the introduction date for future models along with their produciton quantities. It took the US some months to ramp up production after Pearl Harbor. You can't play loose with your carriers in 1942. You won't have a lot of replacements, especially Wildcats.

If you have not, stop doing turns and get familiar with each of the task bar buttons and the reports under them. Figure out how to do data sorts. You can't play the game without data, and it's all up there under those buttons.

The Moose

(in reply to Auchinleck)
Post #: 16
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 8:37:50 PM   
bk19@mweb.co.za

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

#4 is a new one for me. Was this introduced in one of the patches (and I missed it)?

The last I knew, not meeting garrison requirements simply resulted in damage to the airfield and/or port and a loss of victory points. I had no idea political points were also involved.

quote:

no

You are absolutely correct, the error is all mine... apologies to all.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 17
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 8:40:36 PM   
Lokasenna

I'd like to add that one of my favorite ways of getting some cheap PPs is to watch the withdrawal schedule for air units and withdraw ones I am not currently using or know I won't be using as soon as they hit 59 days to withdrawal. This often grants PPs for withdrawing early, and seems to be based on the number of pilots and/or planes in the unit - for example, around 30 PPs for withdrawing a unit with 20 or so pilots and planes, and around 20-25 PPs for a smaller unit. Since the allies have so many groups to withdraw, over time this can add up to being able to buy out a whole division...

If you're having trouble with planes on your carriers, I would go into the air units screen (hotkey is 'A') and filter by type, then sort by model. Turn off replacements for every squadron that uses the same type, to be sure that your replacement pool goes where you want it to.

You can also look on the Aircraft Replacement Pool screen in the [I]ntelligence window. If the plane you're using is listed with a red date for availability, you won't be receiving any more of that particular airframe and you'll have to upgrade the squadron... I had this happen with VF-6 and F4F-3As in early/mid 1942.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 18
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 8:52:32 PM   
Nikademus

I tend to do this as a matter of habit just to ease the management burdens......the additional perk is yeah...you get add'l PP's for the effort . having been burned one too many times by late withdraw penalties I like to keep well ahead of air and sea units sceduled to leave so i can focus on other aspects. One has to be especially mindful of the sea units because they have to be in certain home ports to withdraw.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 19
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/24/2012 9:41:54 PM   
jmalter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
I'd like to add that one of my favorite ways of getting some cheap PPs is to watch the withdrawal schedule for air units and withdraw ones I am not currently using or know I won't be using as soon as they hit 59 days to withdrawal. This often grants PPs for withdrawing early, and seems to be based on the number of pilots and/or planes in the unit - for example, around 30 PPs for withdrawing a unit with 20 or so pilots and planes, and around 20-25 PPs for a smaller unit. Since the allies have so many groups to withdraw, over time this can add up to being able to buy out a whole division...

you can cheese yourself some add'l PP for early withdrawal by splitting the group & withdrawing the 3 components separately, you'll get ~30% more PPs.
be careful, though - if the group is scheduled to return, i'm not certain that the game-engine will recognize that the withdrawn subgroups should be re-combined & added to the reinforcement pipeline, you might forfeit the group's return.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 20
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/25/2012 1:08:45 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

If you're having trouble with planes on your carriers, I would go into the air units screen (hotkey is 'A') and filter by type, then sort by model. Turn off replacements for every squadron that uses the same type, to be sure that your replacement pool goes where you want it to.

The "N" key works for ALL aircraft groups on ships and transports.
the "A" key works for just those air groups on land.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 21
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/25/2012 2:06:56 AM   
zuluhour

Refer to my post in the Kangaroo court to see just how much you can actually pay the piper!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 22
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/25/2012 2:53:08 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

I would say check the intel screen to see if any withdrawals are in effect for the brits which you aren't seeing. Also you will get carrier reinforcements when new carriers arrive. If by "reinforcements" you are referring to replacement planes for ones lost then you should slowly get them to start and then as time goes and the Allies crank up production and their presence on the map you should start getting a lot more replacement planes. Also you can check the air group reinforcement queue to see what's around the corner and what's still a long ways off. Any and all reinforcements you get will be in the queue.

My WitP webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/garyswitpsite/

(in reply to Auchinleck)
Post #: 23
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/25/2012 6:26:01 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

quote:

The "N" key works for ALL aircraft groups on ships and transports.
the "A" key works for just those air groups on land.

Erm, yes, this.

< Message edited by Lokasenna -- 7/25/2012 6:32:45 AM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 24
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/25/2012 6:30:56 AM   
rjopel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
In a related question - I'm coming up on BB Valiant's withdrawal date. It ate a couple of torpedoes last month and the repair time was huge...given that she was set to withdraw, I gave shipyard priority to other ships. She's got 53 Flt damage and I sent her to Karachi...withdraw is in 5 days, but I don't see the withdraw option. The manual says nothing about damage under withdrawal, but it seems this is going to hurt me... Anyone been in a situation like this before?

Can't withdraw from Karachi. Send him to Bombay and should be able to withdraw him.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 25
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/25/2012 6:34:14 AM   
Lokasenna

Well, usually I withdraw from Colombo because it's closer to the front... Found a thread that says offmap withdrawal is allowed at any level of damage, however. It's a 6 day trip to Abadan, so I should only be dinged for one day of PPs.

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 26
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/25/2012 7:07:39 AM   
rjopel

Send it off map and as soon as it enters the corridor try and withdraw.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 27
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/25/2012 8:08:21 AM   
jmalter

i was gonna say that rjopel was wrong, that a ship can only be withdrawn from a port - but manual 6.9 sez "To withdraw a ship, the ship must be off-map or at any national home base except the NEI and PI." so mebbe you can w/d as soon as you've entered the channel!

& another thing is, check if your Brit ship is scheduled to return - if not, skim off its floatplanes to the base, set them to train for whatever you prefer. some Brit ships (both at-start & reinf) lack FPs, use the skimmed groups to provide empty ships w/ FPs (re-size the group as req'd).

any carrier air-groups should be flown to base and set to train/att/def missions, even if the CV is scheduled to return. there's no penalty for hanging on to these assets, the ship (only) must to be withdrawn. why should you send valuable stuff back to those fools in the ETO or Med? let'em get their own planes.

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 28
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/25/2012 11:23:49 AM   
Sardaukar

You can withdraw if ship is in off-map channel (not if ship has too much damage).

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 29
RE: Political Points? Where are you when I need you? - 7/25/2012 2:08:46 PM   
KPAX

quote:

I... are sitting on airfields on the west coast at 'restricted' commands, doing nobody any ggod just 'parked' there. So I can't access them.

Hopefully ALL those retricted groups (sitting on the WC or anywhere else), are "training" your pilots.

In order to fill out the airgroups on a CVTF (other then later in game) they have to be sitting in a port with a certain level of supplies, right?

"War makes Heros on both sides." Hero (the movie)

Thanks !!

KPAX

(in reply to Auchinleck)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Political Points? Where are you when I need you? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI