OT: WitE Forum

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Bullwinkle58

OT: WitE Forum

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Not for nothin', but I just looked in there and it's crickets. Compared to last winter the forum is not unlike Monty Python's parrot.

This one limps along, but I can count on something to read when I come in daily. The other one? It looks like players wrung out what was there in the game and have moved on.
The Moose
Canoerebel

RE: OT: WitE Forum

Post by Canoerebel »

I think AE can satisfy my gaming for another decade or so. There are still many potential opponents out there I'd love to take on. There are mods I haven't tried. There are still many twists and turns in the game that I haven't experienced. The game is massive yet nuanced and a flat blast. So my fondest hope is that the AE Forum remains vibrant and active and well populated.

Stepping aside for a moment, though, what's the next big thing to come from Matrix? Or is there anything on the horizon? In more than a decade with Matrix, I've purchased but three games. UV. WitP. AE.

Since there isn't even a whisper of a WitP II, what might attract my attention next? If there isn't anything even in the "we're thinking of it" stage, I'll be content to carry on with AE long into the future...as long as most of you guys stick around!

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

4... everyone forgets WPO. [;)]

Ed-
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I think AE can satisfy my gaming for another decade or so. There are still many potential opponents out there I'd love to take on. There are mods I haven't tried. There are still many twists and turns in the game that I haven't experienced. The game is massive yet nuanced and a flat blast. So my fondest hope is that the AE Forum remains vibrant and active and well populated.

Stepping aside for a moment, though, what's the next big thing to come from Matrix? Or is there anything on the horizon? In more than a decade with Matrix, I've purchased but three games. UV. WitP. AE.

Since there isn't even a whisper of a WitP II, what might attract my attention next? If there isn't anything even in the "we're thinking of it" stage, I'll be content to carry on with AE long into the future...as long as most of you guys stick around!

Matrix announced a boatload of coming games at their recent conference in Europe, including a hard turn into tablet-based games. None of them interested me.

I play AE; I don't play wargames. I bought WitE for as much money as I've ever paid for a computer game of any type from any publisher, and it left me cold. If Matrix would get up a team to make WITP2 I'd give them money for that, including more than I paid for WitE. But this past weekend Steam had "Fallout:New Vegas" on weekend special for $4.99. I paid $40 for it eighteen months ago, have played through three times including once heavily modded. At five bucks--a fast-food meal--it's criminally underpriced for what it delivers. Steam is where my gaming dollars go now.

Unless I see WITP2. [:'(]
The Moose
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Not for nothin', but I just looked in there and it's crickets. Compared to last winter the forum is not unlike Monty Python's parrot.

This one limps along, but I can count on something to read when I come in daily. The other one? It looks like players wrung out what was there in the game and have moved on.

I bought WitE last November. I don't think I ever even started a game. Not sure why I bought it now that I think about it. Just to have it I guess.

I just had a look and there were about ten people in the forum just now. Which is a lot better than many of the other Matrix games forums, even some that are only a few months old. I defintely have to say that the WITP forum has been a special forum for Matrix. It's been busy since day one and stayed that way through AE and hopefully beyond. I think WITP will always be my most cherished Matrix game.
The Gnome

Post by The Gnome »

Matrix announced a boatload of coming games at their recent conference in Europe, including a hard turn into tablet-based games. None of them interested me.

I play AE; I don't play wargames. I bought WitE for as much money as I've ever paid for a computer game of any type from any publisher, and it left me cold. If Matrix would get up a team to make WITP2 I'd give them money for that, including more than I paid for WitE. But this past weekend Steam had "Fallout:New Vegas" on weekend special for $4.99. I paid $40 for it eighteen months ago, have played through three times including once heavily modded. At five bucks--a fast-food meal--it's criminally underpriced for what it delivers. Steam is where my gaming dollars go now.

I spend the majority of my gaming money over on Steam as well, more for the convenience, and the feeling that any game I have ever bought is free to be reinstalled and played again at a later date.

The thing I dream about though is WitP2 though. I'd prepurchase just to get development started - that gives me an idea, maybe a kickstarter project! (http://www.kickstarter.com/ for those who don't know what that is)
DD696

Post by DD696 »

I bought WITE on the day of release and played around with it for about six months. Initially I had great hopes for the game, but was terribly disappointed by it. Haven't fired it up for quite a while now as I don't believe anything they do at this stage can revive it.

Oh well, maybe they learned something from it and the next one in the series will be vastly improved.
USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: The Gnome

I spend the majority of my gaming money over on Steam as well, more for the convenience, and the feeling that any game I have ever bought is free to be reinstalled and played again at a later date.

The thing I dream about though is WitP2 though. I'd prepurchase just to get development started - that gives me an idea, maybe a kickstarter project! (http://www.kickstarter.com/ for those who don't know what that is)
There are a number of issues related to having a witpII.
[*]It is unlikely to be profitable- Esp. Not knowing how many people actually bought AE & having worked in IT - the cost of startup-delivery of the program would be fairly high.
[*]AE was made by a team that got very little monetary reward/royalities. This mostly wouldn't be the case with WitpII - unless it just had a huge interface makeover using some of the core-code or there was an expansion on this game.
[*]KickStarter is a good idea but there needs to be a team in place, a design doc (which I would guess would be hotly debated on here - all of us have varying views from the conservative to radical changes).
[*]Remember witp-ae was an evolution of coding from PacWar - UV - witp - AE.

I'd be willing to be involved in any capacity - but if we are going to push for a witpII - the ideas would need to be fleshed out first, deals made with GG and matrix to have access to the code, a team of 2-3 programmers brought in or sought from the forum users, a review of the changes and then coded to a point where Kickstarter could be utilised.

Anyway - I'm in ... 'cause GG obviously won't be. THey canned Carrier Strike and the plans they have already for WITW,WITEII,WIW,WOW,WTF ETC will last another 10+ yrs.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

ORIGINAL: The Gnome

[*]It is unlikely to be profitable- Esp. Not knowing how many people actually bought AE & having worked in IT - the cost of startup-delivery of the program would be fairly high.
[*]AE was made by a team that got very little monetary reward/royalities. This mostly wouldn't be the case with WitpII - unless it just had a huge interface makeover using some of the core-code or there was an expansion on this game.
[*]KickStarter is a good idea but there needs to be a team in place, a design doc (which I would guess would be hotly debated on here - all of us have varying views from the conservative to radical changes).

I'd be willing to be involved in any capacity - but if we are going to push for a witpII - the ideas would need to be fleshed out first, deals made with GG and matrix to have access to the code, a team of 2-3 programmers brought in or sought from the forum users, a review of the changes and then coded to a point where Kickstarter could be utilised.

Anyway - I'm in ... 'cause GG obviously won't be. THey canned Carrier Strike and the plans they have already for WITW,WITEII,WIW,WOW,WTF ETC will last another 10+ yrs.

The main improvement I'd like to see with a WITP2 would be more flexibility with certain things in the editor. The ability to have more than two axis factions (this could even be applied to Royal Thai forces and puppet forces for the Japanese). I think part of the formula for gaming success is how mod friendly a game is. Right now it's a little difficult to use AE for a WAr in the Atlantic as there really isn't much way to effectively portray the broad array of nationalities on the Axis side.

Other than more flexibility in editing I think AE is a pretty good platform. The artwork is good. I don't see any advantage in delving into 3D bells and whistles. Realism can always be improved to reflect different armor ratings for various parts of ships etc etc etc. But I would think that could be done within the current program somehow (with a number of tweaks of course).

Another thing I think which would be neat is a garrisoning requirement for the Allies similar to what the Japanaese have to do with Manchukuo. In other words allow the Allied commander to choose which ships he wants to send to the Pacific and which he wants to leave in the Atlantic to fulfill his garrison quota for the European front.

Sorry to turn this into a WITP2 wish list thread.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Never say never. WITW will probably sell due to it being, well, the West, and that they've sold disappointed WitE buyers they'll actually have an air model this time. But a WitE2? I'm in show-me mode on that one.
The Moose
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

WitE, has been on my machine since day one and still play it. I like the game.  How ever I have a love/hate relationship with Witp/WitpAE since release, and ive played it non stop.  The only reason I continue with WitpAE is my love of the pacific theater during ww2 and data base in the game....the play of it, is a whole different story.[:o][:-]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
fcharton

Post by fcharton »

The peculiarity of the AE audience, older than your average video gamer, with a long term commitment (I was here for almost two years and still feel like a newbie), might offset the financial difficulties.

The main problem, as I see it, would be specs and project management, probably, also, having a development team split over interface, engine, game play, AI, etc...

I'd sign for that as well (as others here, I make a living writing pieces of software).

Francois
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

WitE forum is doing just fine - thanks for asking! [:)]

The WitE, as per Joel, sold similarly to WitP and is expected to have same grand total in long run...

Also please note that most players play WitE vs. AI (same case as with UV / WitP and WitP-AE)!

BTW, the number of post in WitP-AE forum is rather constant but, apart from AAR section, almost all post are "OT" (i.e. general military / historic stuff) and made by the very same core of old posters... [:D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

WiTE just doesn't have the same feel to it. That's the only way I can describe it really. I find it a bit mundane compared to AE and the fiddly bits are nowhere near as interesting [&:]
intel i9 13900k 128 GB RAM, RTX 4070 ti GFx card
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: moonraker

WiTE just doesn't have the same feel to it. That's the only way I can describe it really. I find it a bit mundane compared to AE and the fiddly bits are nowhere near as interesting [&:]

WitE is primarily ground combat - UV / WitP / WitP-AE are not! [;)]

BTW, the WitE is the first in the new series - the WitP-AE is 3rd in new series (UV / WitP / WitP-AE)... most of people here are veterans of UV / WitP forums... [:D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I bought WitE and Don to Danube-addon partly to support GG & Matrix Games and partly because I have interest in Eastern Front. I think it's good game vs. AI. Still playing my first campaign game as Soviets and getting trounced... [:D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

double tap
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Banzan

Post by Banzan »

I got both and i also like both. [:)]
But besides both being strategic wargames, you can't really compare them.
I really like the ability to stay away from WitE for some weeks and then just continue an old game. In WitP you need to read through all your notes about your future plans after a break for some weeks. [:D]
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

BTW, the WitE is the first in the new series - the WitP-AE is 3rd in new series (UV / WitP / WitP-AE)... most of people here are veterans of UV / WitP forums... [:D]

Leo "Apollo11"

For me, the biggest problem with WITE is that it uses the IGOUGO format rather than WEGO. Prior to UV, I had never played a game that used the WEGO style. Since then, it almost literally hurts to play IGOUGO. WEGO is just so much more realistic.

I could just picture if in real life WWII played out like IGOUGO - the axis forces move and shoot while the allied forces stay put and get shot at. Then, the allied forces move and shoot while the axis forces stay put and get shot at. Rinse and repeat.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Icedawg
ORIGINAL: Apollo11

For me, the biggest problem with WITE is that it uses the IGOUGO format rather than WEGO. Prior to UV, I had never played a game that used the WEGO style. Since then, it almost literally hurts to play IGOUGO. WEGO is just so much more realistic.

I could just picture if in real life WWII played out like IGOUGO - the axis forces move and shoot while the allied forces stay put and get shot at. Then, the allied forces move and shoot while the axis forces stay put and get shot at. Rinse and repeat.

Gary and Joel decided to use IGYG instead of WEGO (that they used in UV and WItP) because it would be very hard to plot all the movements for all hundreds and hundreds of on-map counters!

The UV and WitP are so much simpler (sounds strange isn't it but it is that way [;)]) because all ground combat is simplified in fe HEXes and naval and air combat is also happening in "packets" (i.e TFs for ships and waves for aircraft strikes) - in WitE there can be combat in literally hundreds of HEXes each turn including hundreds of individual counters...

Also they told us that IGYG would give better "feedback" for attacking player - it sounded strange for be as well in the beginning but after few weeks in ALPHA/BETA I got adjusted very quickly to the new system (and I used to play TOaW a lot years and years ago)!

Leo "Apollo11"

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”