Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: WitE Forum

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: WitE Forum Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/24/2012 8:46:00 PM   
Titanwarrior89

yea you do....didn't mean to hit the wrong side off you. And I know what the topic is. I don't need you telling me that....get over it. I was just comparing.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

WitpAE has custom build in it as well(to a certain point) on the Japanese side of things(air power) and thats not mentioning the Super Carrier Group KG(so why not build a custom army). Which is not a game breaker but certainly not histoical at all. So my question is why do some, see the faults of that game but incline not too see them in WitpAe. Just a thought and my opinion.

Topic of the thread was WiTE. I own it and have played it so i weighed in. Since your asking about AE, I've long said that I don't like player manipulable economies and would prefer neither side in AE have the ability to alter things except in a specific alternate scenario.

As for "super carrier groups", I don't know what your referring too. Both sides can stack CV's together far in excess of what was done in real life. Both sides can stack land air groups though AE introduced penalties to reign this in.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/24/2012 8:47:50 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

Could u expand on that or specify?
i know ur love for AE and well I wouldnt call AE a no micromangement game. So im curious what part of WiTE u found to detailoriented/control.

AE is a micromanagement game. It gives the players considerably more detail control than stock WitP. Not all of it do i personally consider a good thing. In regards WitE, an example would be the need to supliment an exp level for each and every subunit thats part of a division or a brigade/regiment, even though on average the #'s only variable by a few points between them. It creates a hell of a screen clutter and is remenicent of looking at a spreadsheet. I prefer a simple singular exp value to cover a unit. Getting to various parts of a unit org or structure requires drilling down through several menus.

quote:

About the custom build its really a myth created at some point. Ppl see a choice and conclude that a choice is per default better, than no choice. Instead of comparing to what the reality would be if there wasnt that choice.

I don't see it as a myth based on reading some of the AAR's and playing around with it myself. Its natural that some types of units built en-mass work better than others. Like the manipulable economy, the more you tinker and change the farther removed from historical constraints and realties one gets. Thus in AE and in previous 8-bit versions of Grigsby games you got odd situations like for example, all FW190's with 109 production halted, then early jets. Or in WitP's case (stock more than AE), hordes of Franks and other advanced airframes. In WiTE, i've seen arguments about the mass deployment of small units to create situations that prevent or retard breakthrough. I've found that Fortified units can reap unusual benefits.

Yes some people like that along with the detail but then complaints range along lines of, why can't the German side customize it's formations and units as well? (similar to the AE argument about a US manipuable economy.)

All in all......i felt the game was overly bloated on details and player choices. Based on playing and on developing i see this as an ongoing issue. Building a better wargame doesn't necessarily indicate that one must increase detail levels to the point where one isn't just being the General or Admiral, but production manager, Army staff in charge of organization and quartermaster general of all armed forces.

At least WitE preserved the one week turn, otherwise there'd be no getting through the monster campaign. Like i said.....i enjoyed some aspects of it and appreciate the work that went in to it, but ultimately i felt it tried rather too hard to reinvent the wheel and instead of solidifying game play by correcting the faults of older versions it adds too many fancy bells and whistles. Thus it failed to keep my interest. I put in hundreds of hours on the last two versions that Grigsby made. They were far more playable IMHO. I know others like the morass of choices given to them though i think they're a small minority. Myself, i'd rather focus on generaling vs. managing. I have a day job for that.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/24/2012 8:49:34 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

yea you do....didn't mean to hit the wrong side off you.

excuse me?

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/24/2012 9:25:28 PM   
FatR

I might be interested in playing WitE seriously if two things happen:

1)If it ever leaves "huge, sweeping balance changes can arrive with every new patch" phase. The last time I looked at the WitE forum about a month ago, it still didn't.

2)If by the moment the balance settles down it will be giving a roughly historical feeling. Again, the last time I looked at WitE, for example, active defense/counterattacking for USSR in 1941 was still not viable, even though IRL the same was true for passive defense.

< Message edited by FatR -- 7/24/2012 9:43:46 PM >

The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/24/2012 9:36:49 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc
About the custom build its really a myth created at some point. Ppl see a choice and conclude that a choice is per default better, than no choice. Instead of comparing to what the reality would be if there wasnt that choice.

I don't see it as a myth based on reading some of the AAR's and playing around with it myself. Its natural that some types of units built en-mass work better than others. In WiTE, i've seen arguments about the mass deployment of small units to create situations that prevent or retard breakthrough. I've found that Fortified units can reap unusual benefits.

Thx for answering Nikademus,

There are potential issues in the tactic u descripe. Problem is ppl see this as a cause of the build system. Its not. What is the alternative to the build system. its using a historic oob like its done at the axis side. Where when units die, they come back for free but with out manpower. As the historic OOB have tons more units than what ur able to create in the build system, this only makes the points, you point out worse. Hench the problem u point out isnt attribuated to the build system, but other mechanics of the game. Ppl just dont realize this, not that i blame them. Most ppl prolly dont know the historic oobs by heart and therefor have nothing to compare too.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/24/2012 9:42:43 PM >

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/24/2012 9:48:29 PM   
janh

Rasmus is right, there wasn't an AAR yet where a player was able to built an Soviet Army that could outfight the historical one. The starting scenario for 1944 has a huge Soviet OOB, much more sophisticated than any GC 1941 AAR has produced yet.
Most players end up with more specialized Armies, but much smaller due to Prestige Point limitations (which are needed for so many things from building fort zones, assigning leaders, reassigning units and HQ etc, which renders them more than much too scarce to both built units and optimized command structures at the same time; in fact, they are probably even too scarce if you just focused on building the units the Soviets raised historically). So far the more "specialized" Armies leaving out units that based on game stats are less useful haven't proven the key since only very few Soviet players have made it into Berlin by summer 1945 yet. And those mostly because of major errors on Axis side at some point.

As FatR mentioned, there still are balance issues. One is that the Soviets are pretty weak in 1941 presently, basically unable to survive a harsh counterattacking strategy and very forward defense we know from the books. The Germans are highly mobile as the supply system is very forgiving on the offensive, and also since any kind of reaction moves during the opponent movement phase are present. They just can overun the slow and weak Soviets and capture huge numbers. Combined with the latest tune-down in Soviet replacements (manpower), they hardly can recover and most games show both Leningrad and Moscow lost by November while even in the South no compromise in progress has to be made as Axis player. Certainly with more than historic infrastructure losses for the Soviet, a smaller Army is a logical consequence.

< Message edited by janh -- 7/24/2012 9:50:48 PM >

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 6:42:07 AM   
Puhis

I can't play WitE because mud map is so ugly...

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 37
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 7:41:06 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

WitE forum is doing just fine - thanks for asking!

The WitE, as per Joel, sold similarly to WitP and is expected to have same grand total in long run...

Also please note that most players play WitE vs. AI (same case as with UV / WitP and WitP-AE)!

BTW, the number of post in WitP-AE forum is rather constant but, apart from AAR section, almost all post are "OT" (i.e. general military / historic stuff) and made by the very same core of old posters...

I understand your attachment to the game, but I've been looking in there for about 18 months and traffic is nowhere near what it was as recently as Feb. Some people read, but few post. I see 3-4 new posts per day outside the AARs, and of those there are only a couple of active ones whereas last winter there were a dozen or more. (About half of them Q-Ball's. )

I also don't see a lot of newbie posts, as you say.

On Joel's numbers, I note he says sales are versus WITP, not WITP and AE. If WitE sold as many as both WITPs I'd be very surprised.

The test will be WitW. I think there will be more who wait and see how the balance works than there were for WitE, especially at the price point.

First of all I have no understanding with stand:

"US" vs. "THEM"

(and "US" meaning "WitP-AE")

Why would one even think of undermining our Grognard community with stand like this at first place?

The "elitism" of "US" leads nowhere...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 38
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 3:42:14 PM   
crsutton

I never picked up WITE. It was not the money thing or interest it simply is that I just decided that I did not have the time to commit to another monster. I have a job and wife to appease.

Frankly, I played PAC WAR to death and have been immersed in the UV,WITP,AE mess for a decade now. (just look at my post numbers-all on this forum) I am an old board gamer but this one has been my focus for a good while now. I just like the game and the Pacific Naval war in general. I never in my life thought that a game of this scope was possible. (well playable) Computers have made a big difference. But how many computer games have a life longer than a year or two? This is a rare one and for that reason I would love to see it continue. I am reluctant to invest a lot more that 50 bucks into a computer game because quite frankly, I find that only about one in ten is worth the money. However, I have no problem with investing in another WITP game as I know it is a proven system and that the various people who have worked on over the years have a proven record of turning out quality products and support.

I would have no trouble spending $200 on a new WITP. Yesterday, I spent $12 bucks on a burger at Five Guys. It was good but only lasted me about 15 minutes and was then gone. We don't think twice about dropping $200 bucks on a new smart phone every two years. I have spent less than $200 on this system in the past decade. It the best deal I have seen since "free government cheese."

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 4:02:02 PM   
SuluSea

I purchased WITE on the day it was released. It's collecting dust right now but have to admit the game has probably changed quite a bit since I last played it but it seemed to me the Soviets benefited too much from hindsite and Germany was almost hardcoded to their past mistakes. Before anyone jumps to conclusions please note it's been a long time since I played and I understand at this stage with the new patches the game probably has changed and improved to a degree.

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 4:26:45 PM   
Canoerebel

I think crsutton and I must've been separated at birth. I agree with everything he says (except the Smart phone thing - I wouldn't own an electronic phone or other handheld communication device if you paid me).

WitP:AE really is a magnificent creation. :)

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 4:38:48 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I think crsutton and I must've been separated at birth. I agree with everything he says (except the Smart phone thing - I wouldn't own an electronic phone or other handheld communication device if you paid me).

So I'm guessing that something like this adorns the Canoe Boathouse ("Mabel, Mabel, get me Andy right away!").

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 42
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 4:45:29 PM   
Canoerebel

I'd take that over a cellphone any day!

"Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 43
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 4:59:37 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

WitE forum is doing just fine - thanks for asking!

The WitE, as per Joel, sold similarly to WitP and is expected to have same grand total in long run...

Also please note that most players play WitE vs. AI (same case as with UV / WitP and WitP-AE)!

BTW, the number of post in WitP-AE forum is rather constant but, apart from AAR section, almost all post are "OT" (i.e. general military / historic stuff) and made by the very same core of old posters...

I understand your attachment to the game, but I've been looking in there for about 18 months and traffic is nowhere near what it was as recently as Feb. Some people read, but few post. I see 3-4 new posts per day outside the AARs, and of those there are only a couple of active ones whereas last winter there were a dozen or more. (About half of them Q-Ball's. )

I also don't see a lot of newbie posts, as you say.

On Joel's numbers, I note he says sales are versus WITP, not WITP and AE. If WitE sold as many as both WITPs I'd be very surprised.

The test will be WitW. I think there will be more who wait and see how the balance works than there were for WitE, especially at the price point.

First of all I have no understanding with stand:

"US" vs. "THEM"

(and "US" meaning "WitP-AE")

Why would one even think of undermining our Grognard community with stand like this at first place?

The "elitism" of "US" leads nowhere...

Leo "Apollo11"

Offering a temperate response to this semi-attack . . .

As the OP I opened this thread for two reasons:

1) To the extent Matrix management ever reads this forum (probably not), to inform them that I, a buyer of BOTH games, have noted that WitE seems to have worked through its avid player phase, while AE has not. Thus, why not devote some/any resources to extending this franchise rather than promise GG & Co., in advance of evidence their current line has the staying power of the PTO, multiple guaranteed titles with concurrent funding and corporate support?

2) To congratulate the AE forum for its support and offer a comparison to the other mega-game currently at the forefront of Matrix's product portfolio.

Note that I do not consider myself a part of "the grognard community." I play AE; I don't play wargames. I bought WitE for educational reasons, but found the game mechanics so dense and the combat results presentation so antiseptic as to remove all enjoyment from the experience. But, as above, I spent my $80 so I get an opinion. And my opinion includes a portion which states that Matrix should consider leveraging the sales volume and extreme goodwill in the AE franchise by extending it. I have engaged in discusisons of game industry mechanics since the early 1990s on Usenet, when that was the predominate Internet channel for such, and I have had calm, respectful discussions with Erik R. there on several occasions concerning Matrix's business and marketing practices. We have never agreed on them, but he does have his reasons and I don't have perfect data. Still, I soldier on trying to get Matrix to devote some measure of operating capital and management time to extending this one, great game franchise which I am interested in above all others.

So, is it an Us vs. Them? Defined in one way, yes. Us is those who want a WITP2. Given that it's a zero-sum proposition where resources directed at other games are not directed at "our" project why would a sole-focused gamer such as me advocate for development of something I will never buy or play? Customers vote with their wallets and secondarily with their voices. And while I don't know the size of WitE's "wallet" I can see which game has the loudest and longest-lasting voice. This thread was yet another attempt to invite Matrix to notice us. That it went in alternate directions is fine--I'm from Usenet; I don't "own" a thread I start--as is the fact that you wish it hadn't gone there at all is fine too. If someone on the WitE forum wants to start a "We're the best!" thread they can. I predict they won't though.

Pax.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 7/25/2012 5:01:51 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 44
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 5:24:52 PM   
Nikademus

There does tend to be a little defensiveness when WitE is criticized. I can understand it. In the end I stand behind my views of the game having given it a good spin. I do fire it up once in a while. The smaller scenarios are a nice change of topic. I'm glad to hear that the product continues to be improved via patching.

Post #: 45
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 5:25:04 PM   
Lecivius

I purchased WitE, but to quote The Moose

"but found the game mechanics so dense and the combat results presentation so antiseptic as to remove all enjoyment from the experience."

This sumed things up very well.  I played this for about 45 min, then shelved it.  I watched the boards for a bit, & noted far to many bugs being reported.  So I never looked back.  I spent over $70 on the Distant Worlds series, and again found far to many bugs.  In AE, we have some very serious technichal support.  And it's unpaid support, which gives a person a very real feeling that folks care about getting it "right", or as right as can be done.  Considering the cost of games purchased, that has very real value.  I find this value lacking in other Matrix products I have purchased so far.

Post #: 46
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 6:05:19 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

+1

He hit the nail on the head. I wish I didn't have a smart phone some times... business never leaves you alone, ANYWHERE..

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 47
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 6:07:36 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

quote:

+1

He hit the nail on the head. I wish I didn't have a smart phone some times... business never leaves you alone, ANYWHERE..

I don't like phones that are smarter than I am...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 48
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 6:41:06 PM   
Speedy

Being an avid player of both AE and WitE I'd like to add a few things.

There's no doubt about it I do get a stronger 'buzz' and excitment from watching the CR and hence the WEGO system that AE has.

I do feel AE has a slightly better UI and a more 'realistic' game model.

There are 2 main areas for which WitE is deficient (which are known by the people that need to know) and these areas dramatically effect the play of the game.

1.) Logistics - Quite simply put there's not enough of a realistic Logistical model in place so that attacking sides can attack for too long over too big a distance.

2.) Air War - The air model is not great, not detailed enough and results can be far too lopsided. On the flip side the lack of detail pervades such areas like stopping specific attacks or wiping out whole columns by interdiction etc. There's not enough of a human influecne as to what goes on in the Air War.

Now. Having said that there is something about WitE that makes me keep playing. It has many things going for it to a Strategic Wargamer:

1.) The most detailed simulation of the War in the East ever.
2.) Detailed OOB
3.) The ability to try out different thing to a certain extent.

It's still a very good game but IMO WITP and AE shade it overall.

If I have to grade them:

WITE - 7.5
WITP - 9
AE - 10

As an FYI WitW will be the next iteration then there'll be War In France/War in Africa genre and ultimately a WitE 2.0 with the added features of better Logistics and Air War which WitW will have in them.

WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 49
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 6:45:17 PM   
Lecivius

"As an FYI WitW will be the next iteration then there'll be War In France/War in Africa genre and ultimately a WitE 2.0 with the added features of better Logistics and Air War which WitW will have in them. "

It appears I will await 2.0 then.

(in reply to Speedy)
Post #: 50
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 6:54:13 PM   
Speedy

I will say this as well. WitE now is a much better version than WitE 1.0.

WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 51
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 7:57:04 PM   
Sardaukar

WitE is a good game..I enjoy it..AI is quite decent. I think main problem is the balance issues in PBEM.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Speedy)
Post #: 52
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 8:12:26 PM   
Omat

Hello

I think it is not very fair comparing WitE with WitP AE. WitE AE had two predecessor (UV, WitP). I also think WitP AE set very high standards for such a kind of a game.
Peronaly I think WitE is good. I do not see a game with this scope which is better.

Omat

< Message edited by Omat -- 7/25/2012 8:14:03 PM >

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another."
Anatole France

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 53
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 8:45:48 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Overall I would agree with you. Their both good games....which have their faults. I play both, with most of my time geared toward WitpAe.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Omat

Hello

I think it is not very fair comparing WitE with WitP AE. WitE AE had two predecessor (UV, WitP). I also think WitP AE set very high standards for such a kind of a game.
Peronaly I think WitE is good. I do not see a game with this scope which is better.

Omat

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Omat)
Post #: 54
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/25/2012 9:43:14 PM   
crsutton

quote:

Mom always said I was the smarter...

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 55
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/28/2012 3:49:35 PM   
Dili

quote:

War In France/War in Africa genre

I'll believe it when i'll see it. I expect abstraction going over the top...

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 56
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/28/2012 7:29:29 PM   
LowCommand

I suspect that managing the Japanese production system is a good playability feature. As in, it gives the Japanese player something positive to do as his empire crumbles around him. Besides, the Japanese economy really, Really needed help. The US economy needed some help too, but not in the same way. Other than switching a few plants from manufacturing dud products like the Buffalo to something more useful. (And even that wasn’t realistic. The company management was even worse than the aircraft. It was pretty much the only major US manufacturer shut down for incompetence during WWII.) There just isn’t that much realistic for Allied player management. Most of the things a player would desperately want were as accelerated as possible or plagued with really bad luck, like the P38 program. It was set back a year or so by getting the prototype destroyed in an Army record setting attempt.

I miss the equivalent feature in WitP, the ability to rescue Allied units trapped behind Japanese lines. It was nice to send a sub or PBY to grab the last remnants of some Dutch unit and spirit them off to Oz to get rebuilt into something useful. It gave me something positive to do while the Japanese hordes smashed, well everything in sight. I would like to see a realistic way to recapture that feature. Yes, dragging two squads and the regimental flag back to Australia and getting a full regiment in a few months was unrealistic. On the other paw, there should be some sort of ability to pull these units out. I especially miss the ability to pull the remnants of the Dutch air force out. They have a nice collection of PBY’s etc that the Allies desperately need. Yes, there were good or rather bad reasons it didn’t happen IRL. Pulling the Air Force units out of the Philippines was a huge morale hit. Doing the equivalent to the Dutch might have caused mass surrenders. Still the ability to fly out was there and made prefect military sense. Well except that the Dutch high command seems to have been in a pretty hopeless state by that time.

"Mines reported in the fairway,
"Warn all traffic and detain,
"'Sent up Unity, Cralibel, Assyrian, Stormcock, and Golden Gain."

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 57
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/29/2012 2:05:17 AM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

WitE is a good game..I enjoy it..AI is quite decent. I think main problem is the balance issues in PBEM.

+1

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 58
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/29/2012 5:11:41 AM   
PaxMondo

In WitE, I miss the ability to tweak the Axis air like in WIR.  I enjoyed that facet in WIR quite a bit.

Pax

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 59
RE: OT: WitE Forum - 7/29/2012 10:04:30 AM   
JocMeister

I played WITE a lot just after release. Its a very good game in some aspects but sadly lacking in others.

As Speedy says the lack of a functioning airmodel and the almost complete absence of a supply model killed the game for me. Doing a "War in the East" and not do two of the most important things properly is hard to understand. I guess they ran out of time and money. Unfourtunanly the UI is very poor as usual with GG games. No "shift click", "ctrl click and other standard things that have been the norm for the last 20 years. Many of the things ingame requires almost as much clicking as AE does. This should not happen in a modern game and its very hard to understand why GG can´t enter the modern era of UI design.

They have said they will add a better air and logistic model in the next game but I doub´t much will be done with the UI.

That being said there are some fantastic things about the game. The way it handles the OOB, the simple but stunning graphics. The AI is one the best out there if you don´t abuse it too much and its competent up until the end game. That gives the game alot of replayability. I really like the fact that they included a 41 up to 44 start. How many here arn´t dead tired of playing 41-42 in AE?

I will almost certainly buy the next game aswell. But this time I will wait for a year or two after realese before doing so. There were ALOT of major bugs after release.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: WitE Forum Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI