Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The BAOR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> RE: The BAOR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The BAOR - 4/13/2013 11:58:12 PM   
Gunnulf

Further to above on 1 QDG. Arm Recce Regt orbat in 1990 listed as:

RHQ 4 Sultan, 4 Spartan, 2 Land Rover FFR
HQ Sqn
LAD REME 1 Sultan, 1 Spartan, 1 Sampson, 1 wheeled recovery vehicle
Sqn HQ 2 Sultan, 1 Spartan, 2 Land Rover FFR
Recce Troop x3 4 Scimitar/Scorpion
GW Troop 4 Striker
Support Troop 4 Spartan
Recce Sqn x4
REME 1 Sampson, 1 Spartan

Generally tough to get exact on unit by unit basis but by the end of 80s much higher proportion of scimitars. Scorpions were not so useful and eventually turrets replaced with that of the Fox armoured car to produce the Sabre CVRT

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 31
RE: The BAOR - 4/14/2013 12:17:04 AM   
Gunnulf

You should also be aware of the Battle Group concept or BG.

Basically Arm & Arm Inf units marry up and swap sub units. So from above ORBAT as example:

For 7 Arm Bde
SCOTS DG is challenger
2 RTR is challenger
1 STAFFORDS is warrior

So SCOTS DG & 2 RTR both swap one squadron for one company with 1 STAFFORDS.

SCOTS DG BG will then be 1 x Arm Regt HQ 3 x Arm Sqdn 1 x Arm Inf Coy 1 x Arm Support Sqdn
2 RTR BG will then be 1 x Arm Regt HQ 3 x Arm Sqdn 1 x Arm Inf Coy 1 x Arm Support Sqdn
1 STAFFORDS BG will then 1 x Arm Inf Regt HQ 1 x Arm Inf Coy 2 x Arm Sqdn 1 x Arm Inf Support Coy

All tank heavy, though Staffords less so.

12 Arm Bde:
4 RTR is Chieftain
1 R IRISH is Fv432
1 RGJ is Fv432

4 RTR will then be 1 x Arm Regt HQ 2 x Arm Sqdn 2 x Mech Inf Coy 1 x Arm Support Sqdn
1 R IRISH 1 x Mech Inf Regt HQ 2 x Mech Inf Coy 1 x Arm Sqdn 1 x Mech Inf Support Coy
1 RGJ 1 x Mech Inf Regt HQ 2 x Mech Inf Coy 1 x Arm Sqdn 1 x Mech Inf Support Coy

Doing a similar swap they end up with 1 balanced & 2 Mech heavy battlegroups

22 ARM BDE:
QOH is Chieftain
1 RTR is Chieftain
1 SG is Fv432
2 R ANGLIAN is Fv432

When these four form BGs you end up with 2 tank heavy and 2 mech heavy

Battle groups is the key part of BAOR tactics. Very similar to the US 'Team' concept obviously and not rocket science. BG all also would then have various other attachments from Division and Corps depending on task. You probably already knew this but thought worth mentioning. But in summary battalions and regiments would not operate in their entirety (though sure there would be exceptions to the rule as always ;) )

But overall you can see that the Divisional structure and TOEs is such that the 10 BG's it forms are very varied.

< Message edited by Gunnulf -- 4/14/2013 12:34:24 AM >

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 32
RE: The BAOR - 4/14/2013 4:07:17 AM   
wodin

British have never fielded whole regiments together preferring to use brigades which consisted of four battalions from different regiments. Again though this is not news I'm sure and I'm only thinking upto WW2..not sure how they do it now as we don't have some many regiments anymore.

Just looking at the post above it looks like it's made of three battalions these days..infact not even sure it's a whole battalion thats mentioned above..seems abit small like one or two coys to small. Though again modern OOB's I've no idea how they work.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/14/2013 4:11:37 AM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 33
RE: The BAOR - 4/14/2013 12:23:35 PM   
Gunnulf

As covered above 'Regiments' in British terms applies to battalion sized units of Armour, Artillery, Engineers & Army Aviation.
Infantry units are battalions. Regiment as in 'Royal Anglian Regiment' is strictly administrative for recruitment & training of a group of battalions largely (but not always) based on geographic recruitment area.

Brigades are usually 3 but sometimes 2-4 teeth arm units (btln/regt) plus attached support units and sub-units. However as detailed above in practice within that brigade composite battlegroups are formed for combat purposes. Effectively sub-units (companies & squadrons) will almost always be split and mixed within units on operations in BAOR.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 34
RE: The BAOR - 4/14/2013 3:43:05 PM   
wodin

Well lets remember they have their own colours and battle honours..they are abit more than an administrative title. It's just unlike other countries where a regiments battalions would fight together in the UK they didn't maybe on a rare occasion two battalions from the regiment would fight in a brigade but on the whole they would be spread out.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 35
RE: The BAOR - 4/14/2013 6:16:42 PM   
Gunnulf

As an organisation they are administrative organisation pure and simple. Zero combat function. RHQ will be an old retired colonel and a few staff handling admin & recruitment. The colours and battle honours are an important part of the regimental families identity but thats ceremonial. For example the Royal Anglians currently have 1st and 2nd battalions, plus a 3rd Territorial reserve btln. In 1989 there were 3 regular and 3 reserve battalions. There will be some exchange of personnel within this regimental family especially with officers through there career. But essentially they are totally separate entities. There are less now but in '89 there were plenty of regiments with just a single regular battalion. But still with an RHQ for admin. I served with 3 regiments over 14 years as as NCO then as an Officer.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 36
RE: The BAOR - 4/14/2013 7:58:12 PM   
Capn Darwin

A good bit of info. Thanks Gunnulf.

Working Mod Guide 4 and waiting for the Installer package to test it.

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations Developer,
and resident Rocket Scientist

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 37
RE: The BAOR - 4/14/2013 11:26:47 PM   
Gunnulf

My pleasure Cap'n, all towards the greater glory of a good product :)

(in reply to Capn Darwin)
Post #: 38
RE: The BAOR - 5/12/2013 3:01:26 AM   
Mad Russian

Please see the thread in the Flash Point Campaigns: Red Storm forums relating to BAOR.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3323864&mpage=1&key=�

All comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> RE: The BAOR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI