Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Olympics and London 2012

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:05:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

"Simples" my arse. Cheating I'd call it. We might join up with New Zealand and, bugger it, Indonesia at the next Olympics and call ourselves Australasia. There ought to be an enquiry.

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Join up with New Zealand? What like you did for the first few Olympics?

Warspite1

1908 and 1912

Yes, well that was some time ago. Your scam is ongoing

Cheers, Neilster

It's not working particularly well. Their kingdoms/united kingdoms/united kingdom/countries are getting beaten by other singular nation states. They are being gracious hosts though.
Warspite1

Of course its not working well - we're British, we don't do winning stuff

Mind you, nor do we not allow competitors the same access to facilities as our own athletes before the games.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 151
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:07:33 PM   
Chickenboy

Goodness, the Chinese are back in the medals lead over the US: 30-29. I suspect that this will end with the start of the track and field events later on, but they're really keeping pace nicely.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 152
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:08:46 PM   
warspite1

Depends how you look at it - we've always done the table based on Golds first, not number of medals.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 153
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:09:40 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

"Simples" my arse. Cheating I'd call it. We might join up with New Zealand and, bugger it, Indonesia at the next Olympics and call ourselves Australasia. There ought to be an enquiry.

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Warspite1

1908 and 1912

Warspite1-are you quoting yourself in a sordid effort to amass additional posts?
Warspite1

No I was clarifying my earlier comment about an Australasian team in the early Olympics - it was 1908 and 1912

So, did that include the DEI, P/NG, Australia and New Zealand?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 154
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:10:11 PM   
Neilster

quote:

Oh my! American Nathan Adrian upsets Australia's James Magnussen to win the 100 freestyle! It's OK, Aussies, there's nothing wrong with being second best.

Actually, we're joking about how pieces of crockery are hitting the wall at the Nine Network's HQ. Plucky losses do not for good ratings make. The broadcaster is hating it (and that's worth a laugh, because they're knob-ends). We are more phlegmatic. We've underperformed and have got the results we deserve.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 155
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:10:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Warspite1

1908 and 1912

Warspite1-are you quoting yourself in a sordid effort to amass additional posts?
Warspite1

No I was clarifying my earlier comment about an Australasian team in the early Olympics - it was 1908 and 1912

So, did that include the DEI, P/NG, Australia and New Zealand?
Warspite1

No - just the Kiwis and the Aussies

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 156
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:11:42 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Depends how you look at it - we've always done the table based on Golds first, not number of medals.

Yes. I imagine that if you calculated # bronze/#silver x #gold divided by pi you would have another formula that some may find useful as well. But they'd be silly.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 157
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:21:30 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Yes. I imagine that if you calculated # bronze/#silver x #gold divided by pi you would have another formula that some may find useful as well. But they'd be silly.
Warspite1

You may think that, but you would be wrong. As Ambrose proved in his 1999 blockbuster "How Great Britain and (Northern) Ireland won every Olympics ever" D K Head Publishing Co.

Check out these extracts:

Chapter 4

......If you look, not just at no. of medals won - or no. of golds won, but instead factor in a plethora of other items, then it is clear that Team GB are the greatest Olympians ever.

Chapter 6

......Of course I do not intend here to go through the plethora of other items as these are patently obvious to anybody with a brain, all I will say in conclusion is that I am right. FACT

So there you have it, conclusive proof from the great man Ambrose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 158
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:23:57 PM   
redcoat

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

At least he wasn't hit by lightning while helplessly dangling, making patriotic (well pro-British...it's all a bit schizophrenic) exhortations. #Physics_fail #What_a_pillock

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Schizophrenic?

England is a country, right? So what's with this Team GB? Then there's confusion about what bits of the UK are in it. Northern Ireland? Wales? British Overseas Territories? Say what?

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

No confusion. We are four countries - three kingdoms and a principality. Together we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. For the Olympics the whole of the UK is in it - e.g. Mark Cavendish is a Manxman I believe; Guernsey and Jersey would be included too. For the Commonwealth Games we compete as our individual countries - no idea why, but its the same for football. I think if you are from the Channel Islands you can play for any of the home countries (not 100% on that). Simples.

Actually it is even more complicated than that. LOL.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 159
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:25:10 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

At least he wasn't hit by lightning while helplessly dangling, making patriotic (well pro-British...it's all a bit schizophrenic) exhortations. #Physics_fail #What_a_pillock

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Schizophrenic?

England is a country, right? So what's with this Team GB? Then there's confusion about what bits of the UK are in it. Northern Ireland? Wales? British Overseas Territories? Say what?

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

No confusion. We are four countries - three kingdoms and a principality. Together we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. For the Olympics the whole of the UK is in it - e.g. Mark Cavendish is a Manxman I believe; Guernsey and Jersey would be included too. For the Commonwealth Games we compete as our individual countries - no idea why, but its the same for football. I think if you are from the Channel Islands you can play for any of the home countries (not 100% on that). Simples.

Warspite1

How so?

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 160
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:36:24 PM   
redcoat

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Schizophrenic?

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Warspite1

How so?

I'm just quibbling about the details. LOL. The three kingdoms were merged into the United Kingdom. Man and the various Channel Islands are not part of the UK.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 161
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:40:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Schizophrenic?

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Warspite1

How so?

I'm just quibbling about the details. LOL. The three kingdoms were merged into the United Kingdom. Man and the various Channel Islands are not part of the UK.

Warspite1

Indeed - they are Crown Dependencies, but their occupants compete for GB, unlike in the Commonwealth Games where they have their own teams and in football they dont have a team.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 162
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 10:57:57 PM   
parusski

Chickenboy screamed:

quote:

He does this all the time. There have been numerous punishments by the admins that have each removed thousands of his superfluous posts...had they not, warpedspite would have close to 200,000 posts.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 163
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 11:00:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

Chickenboy screamed:

quote:

He does this all the time. There have been numerous punishments by the admins that have each removed thousands of his superfluous posts...had they not, warpedspite would have close to 200,000 posts.
Warspite1

Wow - I'm upset. I don't think I have ever posted a superfluous post in my life.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 164
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 11:00:59 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Chickenboy screamed:

quote:

Warspite1

Wow - I'm upset. I don't think I have ever posted a superfluous post in my life.

Warspite1

Have I?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 165
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 11:01:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chickenboy screamed:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Have I?

Warspite1

I mean really?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 166
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 11:02:42 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

Chickenboy screamed:

quote:

Warspite1

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 167
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 11:19:53 PM   
redcoat

quote:

That's true. We use the gold first system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_medal_table

China have led the way since day one.

We would be higher up the table if we cheated and used the total number of medals won.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 168
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 11:20:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

We would be higher up the table if we cheated and used the total number of medals won.

Warspite1

or indeed used the Ambrose method.....

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 169
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 11:31:20 PM   
warspite1

Boxing - Good performance from Anthony Joshua in the Super Heavyweight class against yet another talented Cuban - it was close though 17-16.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 170
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/1/2012 11:53:16 PM   
redcoat

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

So, let me get this right. If you're in the Army you can bunk off an operational tour of duty to paddle a canoe in a competition but if you're a Royal Navy submariner you can't miss an operational patrol to be at home for your daughter's birth? Just checking.

Well I'm glad that Captain Heather Stanning 'bunked off' from risking her life and limbs in Afghanistan to win Team GB's first Gold medal.

I'm also glad that her comrades - from 32 Regt. Royal Artillery - were able to watch her victory over in Helmand.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 171
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/2/2012 12:44:32 AM   
parusski

quote:

Warspite1

I am not sure I approve what you are implying...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 172
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/2/2012 1:38:42 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Interesting quote from the IOC chief what:

"I believe each country will highlight what suits it best. One country will say, 'Gold medals.' The other country will say, 'The total tally counts.' We take no position on that."

IOC President Jacques Rogge[5]

So my question to the Britishers: which methodology makes you feel better about your traditional underwhelming Olympics performance-the Gold count that you didn't win or the total medals count that you didn't get within a whiff of*?

Just having a bit of fun. You lot are good fun and good hosts.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 8/2/2012 1:44:42 AM >

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 173
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/2/2012 1:41:18 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Chickenboy screamed:

quote:

Warspite1

Maybe.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 174
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/2/2012 1:41:44 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chickenboy screamed:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Have I?

Yes.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 175
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/2/2012 1:42:12 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chickenboy screamed:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Have I?

Warspite1

I mean really?

YES!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 176
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/2/2012 9:53:18 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprier
So, let me get this right. If you're in the Army you can bunk off an operational tour of duty to paddle a canoe in a competition but if you're a Royal Navy submariner you can't miss an operational patrol to be at home for your daughter's birth? Just checking.

Well I'm glad that Captain Heather Stanning 'bunked off' from risking her life and limbs in Afghanistan to win Team GB's first Gold medal.

I'm also glad that her comrades - from 32 Regt. Royal Artillery - were able to watch her victory over in Helmand.

warspite1

Me too

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 177
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/2/2012 9:54:59 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

I am not sure I approve what you are implying...
Warspite1

Que?

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 178
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/2/2012 10:19:55 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interesting quote from the IOC chief what:

"I believe each country will highlight what suits it best. One country will say, 'Gold medals.' The other country will say, 'The total tally counts.' We take no position on that."

IOC President Jacques Rogge[5]

So my question to the Britishers: which methodology makes you feel better about your traditional underwhelming Olympics performance-the Gold count that you didn't win or the total medals count that you didn't get within a whiff of*?

Warspite1

As I've said, we consistently use the Golds first method. We don't change the method to make us feel better or enhance our position (unless we used the Ambrose method it wouldn't do us much good anyway ).

As to traditional underwhelming performance, well yes, but more so in the past. It's only recently that someone realised you need to put money and effort into a co-ordinated approach. Yes we've had some stinkers - 1952 (Helsinki) 1 gold - won in showjumping, the last competition of the last day and, more recently, 1996 (Atlanta) - just 1 gold again, this time in the rowing, but I think we have given much to the Olympic movement - outside of just winning medals.

It is recognised we not only stepped in when Italy suffered their earthquake in 1906 - but those London games, held in 1908, are also regarded as having saved the Olympic movement after the unfortunate events of Paris (1900) and St Louis (1904).

Despite London being a bomb site, having absolutely no money, and the islands still undergoing rationing (imagine training under those conditions) we successfully held the 1948 (austerity) games too.

And finally, I repeat the comment made previously. In the name of fair play we did not go down the route of Vancouver by restricting access to courses for overseas athletes.

These achievements were recognised by Jacques Rogge in his speech at the opening ceremony.

It has been commented on by overseas athletes how fair our supporters have been, recognising the greatness of athletes regardless of nationality in terms of applause and cheering.

We don't always win - well, truth be told, we rarely win - but we play fair (mostly) and do our bit.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/2/2012 11:28:35 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 179
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/2/2012 11:23:08 AM   
warspite1

Well done to Becky Addlington on reaching the 800m freestyle final with the fastest time - Lotte Friis of Denmark was second fastest qualifier.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI