Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Olympics and London 2012

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 2:54:00 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

All in all another great evening in front of the telly. Most exciting. I mean did anyone see that German girl with the hammerthrow who got bronze? She had to wait for 20 minutes to get her results... *nailbiting*!

According to Danish media. Her appeale was initally rejected by the judges there and she was asked to leave several times. Guess standing ur ground can work!!! Go girl.

Rasmus

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 421
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 4:34:43 PM   
JW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

quote:

All in all another great evening in front of the telly. Most exciting. I mean did anyone see that German girl with the hammerthrow who got bronze? She had to wait for 20 minutes to get her results... *nailbiting*!

According to Danish media. Her appeale was initally rejected by the judges there and she was asked to leave several times. Guess standing ur ground can work!!! Go girl.

Rasmus

I wonder if the officials were told that the whole situation was being shown on the tv feed and that it was obvious that the German woman medaled. I watched it live on the streaming feed from nbcolympics.com, and the announcers came back to it several times and showed the throw (toss, fling, what do you call it?) over and over.

< Message edited by JW -- 8/11/2012 4:35:04 PM >

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 422
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 5:44:59 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

quote:

quote:

Rasmus

I wonder if the officials were told that the whole situation was being shown on the tv feed and that it was obvious that the German woman medaled. I watched it live on the streaming feed from nbcolympics.com, and the announcers came back to it several times and showed the throw (toss, fling, what do you call it?) over and over.

It was good that the officials changed their minds. It was so obvious from the TV that it was a medal toss.

"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."

(in reply to JW)
Post #: 423
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 5:59:25 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

Congrats indeed to Sweden. Disaster for the British sailors Percy and Simpson - they had it under control, beating the Brazilians and then....

Very generous in defeat though, full of praise for the Swedish crew which is great to hear. Gold at last for Fredrik Loof after two previous bronze medals. Is that Sweden's first?

Their first gold yes. From watching the race it seemed like the brits focused to much on the brazzers. Brits just needed to get in 6th to win

It wasnt until the last 2 legs when they seemed so focused on the brazzers that they got below that 6th place.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

This was indeed our first gold but no one can claim that we haven't been close to win
gold earlier in the games.

Here is a picture where Lisa Nordén is 0.009 seconds from the gold medal in triathlon.

warspite1

Yes, I watched that whole race - very unfortunate for the Swede. I thought she had done enough.

Now Swedish experts have analyzed this goal picture and their conclusion is that it is impossible to judge from it how the race ended. This because Spirig is hidden behind Nordén when you look at the portion of the body that should count according to rules. This could easily have been solved by looking at the goal picture from the camera located on the opposite side but that one did not work.

Therefore Sweden objected to the interpretation of this goal picture. But we got the answer that they did not want to change what was already decided. We took this case to the next level but the response was that that they do not change results made from individual officials on this level.

I am confused.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 424
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 7:22:11 PM   
Walloc

Just saw the "results" of the 50km walk. Ouch, ppl were in a bad shape and dropping left and right. I cant help to feel some one independant/organizers in some of the cases should have pulled those walkers some what earlier. Good that no one is hurt.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 425
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 7:22:36 PM   
Josh

So the decision stayed, solely based on the fact that it already had been decided...?? That's a bit odd IMHO. If it's *that* close they should both be awarded with gold... in my humble opinion again ofcourse.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 426
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 7:30:19 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Now Swedish experts have analyzed this goal picture and their conclusion is that it is impossible to judge from it how the race ended. This because Spirig is hidden behind Nordén when you look at the portion of the body that should count according to rules. This could easily have been solved by looking at the goal picture from the camera located on the opposite side but that one did not work.

Therefore Sweden objected to the interpretation of this goal picture. But we got the answer that they did not want to change what was already decided. We took this case to the next level but the response was that that they do not change results made from individual officials on this level.

I am confused.

Doesnt seem particular fair.

Rasmus

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 427
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 7:31:32 PM   
Walloc

Forums su...

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/11/2012 7:32:10 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 428
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 9:04:35 PM   
Walloc

Heeeey Justin, Meep Meep... 36.84!

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/11/2012 9:07:53 PM >

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 429
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 9:14:51 PM   
JW

quote:

Heeeey Justin, Meep Meep... 36.84!

Rasmus

Amazing race, great relay race. US ran a remarkable race, too, tied existing world record, couldn't ask for more from them.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 430
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 10:16:25 PM   
Josh

Yeah 4x400 was a great run, still the 4x100 was truelly awesome and lightning fast. Thankfully no one dropped the stick... I hate it when that happens.

(in reply to JW)
Post #: 431
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 11:11:12 PM   
Walloc

Ok, Parruski what did u do too Robert? no Mo comments yet. We are disappointed. Have u locked him in ur cellar?

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 432
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 11:27:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Ok, Parruski what did u do too Robert? no Mo comments yet. We are disappointed. Have u locked him in ur cellar?

Kind regards,

Rasmus
Warspite1

Hi Rasmus - been out all day so only just come in to get all the Olympic news. Mo, fantastic result - joins the greats like Zatopek and Viren with the long distance double.

The Russians continue to hunt us down, the gap is just 7 golds - despite three golds for Team GB today. No idea how many golds are available tomorrow, but in terms of us, possibly, adding to our score, I think we are down just to the two boxers.

Come on boys!

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 433
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 11:33:01 PM   
british exil

Don't think that the Russians can catch up, just looked at the shedule for tomorrow. They do have a few events where they are going to get a silver or gold, but they are no where near 7.

Looks like Team GB are going to stay third overall.

Was a great Team effort and unbelievable that they did get so many medals.

RESPECT!!!!

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 434
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 11:43:49 PM   
redcoat

Rozzers do the Bolt

Trading poses

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 435
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 11:44:21 PM   
warspite1

Okay Mat - I will hold you personally responsible if we lose 3rd

So if, as expected, there are no additional GB medalists tomorrow, we will end with 64 medals of which 28, 29 or 30 will be gold.

Considering where we were just 16 years ago in Atlanta, this has been a stonking good performance, and if you look at the progress made at each Games since 1996, then it's clear that this isn't just a one-off thanks to home advantage.

Let's keep it going into Rio please......

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 436
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 11:55:24 PM   
Walloc

Just preparing u Robert. I do think it will be lower in Rio. There has been a very natural heightened expenditure of resources for this olympic. Going back to the China standart might be more realistic, but ofc i understand u want too keep the current level or do better.

Any how Dk hasnt done better since 1948. Where the olympics were in?

Rasmus

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 437
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 12:05:10 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Just preparing u Robert. I do think it will be lower in Rio. There has been a very natural heightened expenditure of resources for this olympic. Going back to the China standart might be more realistic, but ofc i understand u want too keep the current level or do better.
Rasmus
warspite1

Sure, I fear the Chinese will continue to get stronger and that will make it tougher for all of us. I am quite sure Germany and Australia will bounce back too.

There are a few areas that need significant improvement - swimming being the main one - three medals, none gold, was a desperate return for the money invested.

1948? That would be London Glad we are good for you - sorry we won't be hosting again for another 100+ years

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 438
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 12:25:19 AM   
radic202

Now that is is almost over, I think I can wage in and from a Canadian perspective say we surpassed just barely our Beijing total of medals by 1. We are not a Summer Olympic Nation per se but still put in a great showing. Glad that the USA surpassed the Chinese in medal total and pretty excited for Team Britain to finished in the top 3.

I am still quite pissed at loosing the Women's soccer game against the USA simply by a very and most world soccer experts say the same, worst judge call they have ever seen. The USA lead the game for a mere 30 seconds thus enabling them to move on. We did come back and win the Bronze, so gratz to our Women Soccer Team, it sure felt like a Gold here in Canada despite being cheated in the previous game. This is not Sour Grapes, simply loosing to a call that has never been made before in that stage of the competition and game really felt bad.

Then coming out of nowhere to win Bronze in the men's relay race only to be DQ'd was also a very bad snake bite. A just call but nonetheless.

My only concern with Summer Games now is the complete disparity between the first 4 or 5 countries compared to the rest of the list. Hence why I prefer the Winter games (also I am a winter sports fanatic though) where the countries are closer in medal counts. This makes for more of a WORLD GAMING EXPERIENCE in my view, part of me asked why any countries with no chance of a medal show up when the USA, China and GB (at these games and similar with other countries in past Olympics) win almost 75% of all the medals. I absolutely JUMP for joy when out of nowhere a Kenyan, a Surinamian,A Togolite, heck even a North Korean and mostly Team Mexico win a Gold, Oh Boy! The are treated like heroes back home, the nation usually left out in the cold in past Olympics finally get's their day in the Sun! Woot! That is what the Olympic Games are too me, when everyone gets their day on the Podium. Alas this is not and almost never the case. I have tons of American Friends that simply don't even care about the results of the Olympics after 10 days or so as one put it to me "usual as usual, been there done that" the amount of wins seem to be expected thus no longer excited on a day by day basis. That is a shame. But on the other hand my very good Croatian friend watched it enthusiastically hoping for one of the rare medals his country will get? Unlike my Yank friend who will only check while he is watching the news.

I am not here to complain only to comment that to me the Olympic games have lost their glare, I was hoping after the fall of the Soviet Union and all the satellite countries competing on even fields on their own would add to the even distribution of winners but alas all it has done is made the Richer more Powerful Countries exceed past medal totals, not even out the field. Heck why are there so many medals in Swimming for Pete's sake, 54, heck 1 country is successful and they can lead the platoon in one event only, Australia did it in Sydney and now the Americans did it in London. 54, geez I would like to see 54 medals awarded in a discipline that more countries are involved in and can compete in then one event only.

But from across the pond in Canada I was very much excited to see the same spirit from our British hosts that we had when hosting the 2010 Winter Games. Seeing all those peeps cheer not only for their fellow compatriots but also all the competitors was very touching. It was just so nice to see. I am hoping to see the same kind of enthusiasm from Rio in 2016 and hopefully a more even medal count distribution where some less likely nations can also share in the joy that so many of us now probably take for granted.

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 439
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 4:48:57 AM   
parusski

radic202 there never has been and never will be a way to equalize outcomes. Especially in sports.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 440
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 7:21:10 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Okay Mat - I will hold you personally responsible if we lose 3rd

So if, as expected, there are no additional GB medalists tomorrow, we will end with 64 medals of which 28, 29 or 30 will be gold.

Considering where we were just 16 years ago in Atlanta, this has been a stonking good performance, and if you look at the progress made at each Games since 1996, then it's clear that this isn't just a one-off thanks to home advantage.

Let's keep it going into Rio please......
Warspite1

Just checked the timetable. For us to lose 3rd place, Russia would need to win all seven events they have the possibiity of gold in AND we get no gold in the boxing.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 441
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 7:55:50 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: radic202

I am hoping to see the same kind of enthusiasm from Rio in 2016 and hopefully a more even medal count distribution where some less likely nations can also share in the joy that so many of us now probably take for granted.
Warspite1

First radic202 I share your pain re the football. Football can be such a heartbreaking game. I really thought Canada would beat the US, they played really well. Butthen the US women have won 4 out of 5 tournaments so they are pretty good too!

Re the swimming, I do not have a problem with the number of events, or that one country dominates - after all, they have to really work for that. What I am miffed about is that the rules should be even across sports. For example in swimming and in athletics you have the best athletes competing; a country can provide a number of athletes in each event. But, for example, in rowing, cycling and sailing (three we are good at) we can enter only 1. Personally I would prefer not to have just one competitor from each country, after all, the Olympics is about watching the best, but the rules should be applied evenly.

Re taking medals for granted though, I would have to disagree there. As I mentioned earlier, it was as recent as 1996 that we ended the Games with 15 medals - and just 1 of those was gold .

Big 4 or 5? The US are always strong, Russia, despite the collapse of the Soviet Union, remain good across all sports, and China are dominant in certain sports and are starting to make big inroads into other sports too. I think the performance of those three reflect the size of the countries, and these will remain the Big 3.

After that you have a number of countries trying to keep up; Germany, France, Japan and (recently) Great Britain (plus the Aussies who punch well above their weight in sport given the size of population).

There are a number of other countries that usually come away with a decent bag of medals - Italy, South Korea, Holland, Hungary, Kenya, Jamaica, Ukraine, Spain and Romania to name a few.

One thing that really, really grates are countries - and we are guilty of this too - that "buy" athletes from other nations. Hearing post race interviews with an athlete wearing a GB vest and talking in an American accent for example, when there is no justification other than money, is just wrong. Does anyone know what the rules are?

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 442
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 8:40:51 AM   
Hertston

quote:

Hearing post race interviews with an athlete wearing a GB vest and talking in an American accent for example, when there is no justification other than money, is just wrong. Does anyone know what the rules are?

If you mean Shana Cox (400m) although she was born and raised in the US, both her parents are British so she would always have been eligible. You might speculate she 'changed allegiance' because she wasn't good enough for the US team, but I don't think money had much to do with it. The rules do seem rather more flexible than, say, soccer, though, where once the choice is made, it's made - although even then you can play junior and senior international football for different countries; a fair few have played junior for England but selected somewhere else (usually Wales or Ireland) at senior level.

It's not really an abuse if people qualify for the passport on grounds of parentage, IMHO.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 443
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 9:08:35 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Hearing post race interviews with an athlete wearing a GB vest and talking in an American accent for example, when there is no justification other than money, is just wrong. Does anyone know what the rules are?

If you mean Shana Cox (400m) although she was born and raised in the US, both her parents are British so she would always have been eligible. You might speculate she 'changed allegiance' because she wasn't good enough for the US team, but I don't think money had much to do with it. The rules do seem rather more flexible than, say, soccer, though, where once the choice is made, it's made - although even then you can play junior and senior international football for different countries; a fair few have played junior for England but selected somewhere else (usually Wales or Ireland) at senior level.

It's not really an abuse if people qualify for the passport on grounds of parentage, IMHO.
Warspite1

No that is not who I was writing about specifically. If an athlete has a blood tie to a country then I have abolutely no problem with that at all. The reason I asked if anyone knew the rule was that:

1. A few years ago there was a Kenyan competing for Denmark
2. There are a few Africans competing for Bahrain this time around
3. We have a triple jumper born in Cuba, who has represented Cuba, Sudan and now GB at the Olympics. She has recently married a Scotsman, but that does not make her British - passport or not.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 444
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 9:41:01 AM   
Walloc

quote:

1. A few years ago there was a Kenyan competing for Denmark

Shhhhh, we dont like to hear that. To be self rightious/fair i dont think Denmark uses the pratice very much i would suspect if u look at it overall we would come pretty low on the list. In particular with our "new found" fear of any thing that "refuses" to become a very narrow interpretation of what it is to be danish.
Heck my kid brother has married a russian that has gotten her masters and her PH.D and spend the last 10 years here. She cant get danish citizenship less she gives up her russian one. Which she understandbly isnt inclined to do. Aka she and well him cant stay in Denmark. Just lost 2 ppl with PH.Ds earning lots of money paying lots of taxes. Not so bright. Gratz Sweden.

INCOMMING: Erik Rutins to slap me over my wrists for politize the debate. I apologiese in advance.

Btw the guy ur talking about is Wilson Kipketer. There is a bit more to the story btw. U can read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_Kipketer

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/12/2012 10:03:11 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 445
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 10:41:22 AM   
warspite1

Rasmus - that's an interesting story and goes against the "normal" view that these are athletes that are not good enough for "their own country". Based on that article, Kipketer would have walked into the Kenyan team.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 446
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 10:55:33 AM   
warspite1

And we are officially 3rd!

If I may be allowed to sing from a Disney film:

Zipedee-doo-dah, zipedee- ay my oh my what a wonderful day!!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 447
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 12:18:55 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Zipedee-doo-dah, zipedee- ay my oh my what a wonderful day!!

Always does to keep a sense of proportion, mate. Unlike some people;

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caroline Buchanan, Aussie BMX rider on finishing outside the medals.
"It feels like a nightmare. My house has burnt down and my brother's broken his neck - I've had setbacks in my life before - but nothing compared to this."

Strewth, Sheila. Not like it's anything important, like the Ashes or something!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 448
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 12:36:40 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

Rasmus
warspite1

Sure, I fear the Chinese will continue to get stronger and that will make it tougher for all of us. I am quite sure Germany and Australia will bounce back too.

There are a few areas that need significant improvement - swimming being the main one - three medals, none gold, was a desperate return for the money invested.

1948? That would be London Glad we are good for you - sorry we won't be hosting again for another 100+ years

Here it has already been suggested that London should hold all the future Olympic games. Those who suggest it know that it will not be so but they feel that the London games are such an improvement over some countries that I will not mention.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 449
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/12/2012 1:13:28 PM   
Walloc

quote:

Rasmus - that's an interesting story and goes against the "normal" view that these are athletes that are not good enough for "their own country". Based on that article, Kipketer would have walked into the Kenyan team.

Yeah not losing a race in 1996. That would make him favorit to gold in Atlanta which he gives up in order to become danish. If any thing he gives up stuff to change "team". So this particular "poaching" of atheltes doesnt bother me much.

Rasmus

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI