Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Olympics and London 2012

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 7:27:06 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

And now to the taekwondo

Not possible for me to follow taekwondo at the moment. I have the option to watch women basketball or women handball. And in neither game Sweden is involved.
Warspite1

That's a bummer when you get to the pointy end of competitions your country is no good at....

I got home last night and the choice was:

BBC1 - France vs Spain (Handball). No didn't want that so switched to BBC 3 and,
BBC3 - France vs Spain (Basketball).

Mmmmm I think I'll go read a book .

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 391
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 8:05:03 PM   
Walloc

Rofl. 800m mens final. 8 runners, 8 personal bests, 1 world record....

Thats one for the books, Gratz to Kenya's David Lekuta Rudisha, well gratz to every one

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/9/2012 8:09:18 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 392
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 8:29:06 PM   
Walloc

41.65 Ladies 4*100 in initial run. 0.05 sec from the DDR old OR. 17.81, 3rd best men tri jump EVER or what ever u call it in english. Ppl seems on fire tonight. 200m mens to come...

Rasmus

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 393
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 9:26:45 PM   
warspite1

Clean sweep for Jamaica in the 200m - Bolt, Blake and Weir.... Quality performance lads

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 394
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 9:52:12 PM   
Orm

quote:

Clean sweep for Jamaica in the 200m - Bolt, Blake and Weir.... Quality performance lads

Indeed. Quality performance.

But the most impressive performance so far in the Olympics is by the American runner Manteo Mitchell who run around 200 meters on a broken bone. Ouch!

Olympics relay: Broken leg for Manteo Mitchell of US

"It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever," he said.
"Have you thought of going into teaching?"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 395
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 10:12:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Indeed. Quality performance.

But the most impressive performance so far in the Olympics is by the American runner Manteo Mitchell who run around 200 meters on a broken bone. Ouch!

Olympics relay: Broken leg for Manteo Mitchell of US

Warspite1

Goodness I bet that hurt a bit.... Top man to finish for his team mates in the relay, but presumably could have crippled himself...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 396
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 10:18:35 PM   
warspite1

No bronze for Martin Stamper beaten by the Afghan. So its the turn of Jade Jones..... dare we dream?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 397
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 10:26:21 PM   
Bamilus

Surprised no one has mentioned the US winning the Men's Decathlon, Women's Water Polo, and Women's Football.

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 398
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 10:35:52 PM   
warspite1

ITS A GOLD FOR THE LOVELY JADE JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 399
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 10:39:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

Surprised no one has mentioned the US winning the Men's Decathlon, Women's Water Polo, and Women's Football.
Warspite1

Well we had one US contributor to the thread but he seems to have disappeared recently.....

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 400
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 10:48:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Amazing result for the 19-year old. What a little star. The first Taekwondo gold for Great Britain - and she did it the hard way, beating a couple of World Champions on the way.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 401
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 11:28:17 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Amazing result for the 19-year old. What a little star. The first Taekwondo gold for Great Britain - and she did it the hard way, beating a couple of World Champions on the way.

Tell me oh great Ambrose disciple, has the projectile vomiting contest occurred yet??

This clip is from the 2011 Olympiks:

Olympik Vomiting, only 1:51

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 402
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/9/2012 11:28:42 PM   
warspite1

Right - two and a bit days to go and GB has 52 medals. All our main events have gone but can we get to 60?

We have four medals (colour unknown) guaranteed in boxing and two (silver or possibly gold) guaranteed in sailing. That takes us to 58 so we need to find 2 more from somewhere....

Mo Farah and Lisa Dobriskey in athletics are possibles. We also have a couple of contenders in Taekwondo, although no idea if they are fancied for medals.

Mmmm.... its going to be touch and go.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/9/2012 11:30:31 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 403
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 5:07:18 AM   
Hertston

quote:

We also have a couple of contenders in Taekwondo, although no idea if they are fancied for medals.

I assume Lutalo Muhammed at least must be, as he was picked ahead of Aaron Cook. Anything short of the final will leave egg on somebody's face.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 404
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 6:38:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

We also have a couple of contenders in Taekwondo, although no idea if they are fancied for medals.

I assume Lutalo Muhammed at least must be, as he was picked ahead of Aaron Cook. Anything short of the final will leave egg on somebody's face.

Warspite1

This was a controversial decision indeed. Puts huge pressure on Muhammed...

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 405
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 6:22:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Whoops......

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 406
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 7:51:59 PM   
warspite1

Disqualified in the 100m relay

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 407
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 7:56:10 PM   
warspite1

We've lost our sailing crown But well done to the Aussies for being the most successful this time around.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 408
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 8:02:56 PM   
warspite1

Well the BMX was a complete let down....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 409
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 8:43:41 PM   
Walloc

Meep, Meep.... 40.82

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/10/2012 8:44:27 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 410
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 9:39:06 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

Whoops......
warspite1

....and then he goes and bags a bronze.... Why didn't he fight like that earlier? But well done Lutalo

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 411
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 9:48:22 PM   
Bamilus

USA about to win the Olympics total medal and gold count (again)....China can subsidize its federation and all of its players but still can't keep up.

Been very happy with the host country and always root for the UK, who have done stellar as well.

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 8/10/2012 9:53:37 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 412
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 9:54:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

USA about to win the Olympics total medal and gold count (again)....China can subsidize its federation and all of its players but still can't keep up.

Been very happy with the host country and always root for the UK, who have done stellar as well.
Warspite1

Cheers Bamilus. We got our guaranteed 60th medal tonight - that's a great feeling

Well done to the USA - only once have they finished outside the top 2 - and that was in the dark days of East German institutionalised cheating....

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 413
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 9:58:28 PM   
Bamilus

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Cheers Bamilus. We got our guaranteed 60th medal tonight - that's a great feeling

Well done to the USA - only once have they finished outside the top 2 - and that was in the dark days of East German institutionalised cheating....

Call me naive, but I'm still a big believer in the special relationship between our countries. Half my ancestry is English, too (Mayflower and other early colonial settlers, which might explain my bias...)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 414
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 10:17:57 PM   
JW

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Well we had one US contributor to the thread but he seems to have disappeared recently.....

I think it would be impolite to mention every US gold. But since you mentioned it....

...the decathlon 1-2 was remarkable. Decathlon used to be more glamorous. The American media doesn't pay as much attention to it these days.

Our women's 4x100 relay team did a fantastic job today, shattering the world record. We always wonder in the US if the relay teams have practiced enough to make good exchanges. That is what we do in the US during Olympic relays, just hope for good exchanges. Of course I wonder if our men's team will even medal. I know that Bolt and his guys are going to win going away if they get their exchanges down.

The men's 4x400 team made a great effort for silver, with essentially a substitute team running due to injuries.

Several other track medals I could mention, but I personally am still proudest of the silvers in the men's 10,000 meters and 1500 meters.

I was on the road and did not get to see the women's soccer (er, football) final, just the highlights. But the semifinal US-Canada was a magnificent game. I'm one of those rare Americans who played a lot of soccer (er, football), mostly at keeper, and I really appreciate the game. I also know the Canadians got a raw deal from the officials.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 415
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 10:28:45 PM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

I think it would be impolite to mention every US gold. But since you mentioned it....

...the decathlon 1-2 was remarkable. Decathlon used to be more glamorous. The American media doesn't pay as much attention to it these days.

Our women's 4x100 relay team did a fantastic job today, shattering the world record. We always wonder in the US if the relay teams have practiced enough to make good exchanges. That is what we do in the US during Olympic relays, just hope for good exchanges. Of course I wonder if our men's team will even medal. I know that Bolt and his guys are going to win going away if they get their exchanges down.

The men's 4x400 team made a great effort for silver, with essentially a substitute team running due to injuries.

Several other track medals I could mention, but I personally am still proudest of the silvers in the men's 10,000 meters and 1500 meters.

I was on the road and did not get to see the women's soccer (er, football) final, just the highlights. But the semifinal US-Canada was a magnificent game. I'm one of those rare Americans who played a lot of soccer (er, football), mostly at keeper, and I really appreciate the game. I also know the Canadians got a raw deal from the officials.

Well said. I fully agree. The decathlon is an amazing event; I also love the pentathlon (which gets no attention by the US media). Canada vs USA I unfortunately couldn't watch because I was at work but the replay was crazy. I don't even like football but that was one heck of a game.

(in reply to JW)
Post #: 416
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/10/2012 11:29:16 PM   
JW

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Call me naive, but I'm still a big believer in the special relationship between our countries. Half my ancestry is English, too (Mayflower and other early colonial settlers, which might explain my bias...)

I join Bamilus in saying I have been cheering for Britain at every opportunity.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 417
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 7:45:24 AM   
warspite1

Less than two days to go, but still plenty of medals to be won.

Can Team GB hold onto 3rd place? Its likely that (in terms of number of medals) Russia will remain ahead of us, but in terms of no. of golds (how we have always tabled it) we remain 10 ahead - but they are catching up fast.

There was a stat a couple of days ago that said if all Beijing results in the last couple of days were replicated in London, then Russia would overtake us.

Come on Team GB - one last big push please!!!

(in reply to JW)
Post #: 418
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 10:13:04 AM   
warspite1

.......and a gold in the canoeing this morning helps our cause! Well done Mr McKeever

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 419
RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 - 8/11/2012 10:33:34 AM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Did you see the cameraderie between the decathletes once the contest was over? Most impressive, all posing together for a picture.
The womens realy was tense as *ever* ... you can't even breathe when watching it because it's over before you know it... amazing race and a new WR!! Flawless

yeah the 4x400 had me wonder too... what's happening here? Especially runner number three... what's going on? Then I heard about the injuries and all. Well that's sports really, your body can only take so much.

All in all another great evening in front of the telly. Most exciting. I mean did anyone see that German girl with the hammerthrow who got bronze? She had to wait for 20 minutes to get her results... *nailbiting*!

(in reply to JW)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Olympics and London 2012 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI