Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!Reinforcements on the Frontline!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No-A-game plz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No-A-game plz Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/11/2012 12:03:11 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

AGC

TBH a successful attack on Moscow is not happening this year. While Ive suffered no major defeats the Northern Flank really delayed me. The last few turns I sent 3 pz Group North to unhinge VL. This really slowed me a lot. Last turn I trapped 3 infantry divisions only to see him blast a hole in the encirclement. I am going to make progress to buy me time and space for Winter. Hopefully Tula, Kalinin, and Kaluga fall before Blizzard.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Disgruntled Veteran)
Post #: 31
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/11/2012 12:06:45 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

South.

Here things are a bit sexier. T14 and 15 saw me do my 3rd HQBU and anchor the entire 1pz Group on Refit. I had a wide open flank and A-Game has ignored the southern front. I figured I could seize the industrial area, but instead i turned straight South and bagged 25ish military formations. While this delayed my drive to Rostov it will net me some more communist laborers.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 32
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/11/2012 12:08:27 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

Obituary

Attachment (1)

Post #: 33
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/11/2012 12:26:24 AM   
Walloc

If u avoid losing tons of moral in the Blizzard/to many unit u will be in greate shape for the 42 offensive. He wont be if u keep up the grinding. Dont even let the mud stop u. If he has 1-2 weak units in a hex with out forts or more than 1. U can succesfully attack if u have firepower enough. As sad as it is u cant take more than 3 mil losses pre blizzard as russian and have the army u need come july 1942. Grinding is in ur favor now.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/11/2012 12:27:35 AM >

Post #: 34
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/12/2012 2:07:41 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

Thanks for the tip.

While Moscow isn't going to fall in 41 I am making great progress. A-game has fought a good defense. He's fought forward enough to stall me, but far enough away to avoid catastrophic losses. I've noticed some of my weaknesses and will learn from them come next campaign season. Just submitted T16 back to him so Ill post T17 when it comes back.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 35
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/13/2012 12:41:06 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

T17 After German Moves

As you can see the Neva River is crossed. It took about a dozen pre-Deliberate/Hasty attacks to draw out his reserves and exhaust his defense. Then the 75CV stack of 6 blasted him off the line. He is now isolated in Leningrad with 11 eleven rifle divisions, an Army HQ, and the usual FZ's.

Ill wait till after Mud to try attacking the Urban provinces so for now were going to rest the units and wait for the freeze. The line on the volkhov is lvl 3 and should survive the winter. I've never played into Blizzard before.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 36
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/13/2012 12:44:16 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

T17 Center

So last turn I used 3pz Group to unhinge him and try to encircle some units but he turned the tables on me. He cut off 2/3 of 3pzG and so they exhausted their mp's just getting back to safety. While I wanted to withdraw the panzers for refit during mud it looks like they will be manning front line duty. Good play to A-game.

Otherwise we took Tula, Kaluga, Kalinin and have pushed him to within 4 hexes of Moscow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 37
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/13/2012 12:52:47 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

T17 South

Earlier we bagged about 25 units and have now destroyed about 16 of them. We also isolated Stalino and took it this turn. Im in a good position to take Rostov and Vorishlagrod. I withdrew the tank divisions to rest up during the mud.

The Crimea isn't going to happen this year so we'll likely fort off the straights and economize on military might. The Southern Front has been my saving grace in late 41. While AGN took Leningrad the Center front has been lackluster. I followed the Art of War maxim of attacking where he is weakest to avoid pitched battles. I knew A-game was expecting a heavy push to Moscow (doesn't everyone?)And although I have been attacking towards Moscow it hasn't been my Schwerpunkt by any means. I kept 1pz Grp heavy with Das Reich, 60th motor, and 1st Cav to keep them strong. In hindsight I wish I had kept the whole 2nd Pz Grp in the South but I couldn't have kept A-game thinking I was gunning for Moscow so it worked out well. We'll save Moscow for 42 or maybe Ill turn 1pz Group North...not sure yet. Depends on him probably. Either way I should be able to raid Rostov and V-grad before Blizzard.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 38
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/17/2012 5:38:01 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

T19 North

Still starving Leningrad until Mud ends and still digging on the Volkhov. The Soviets have thinned their lines all over the North. Probably regrouping them for blizzard. PzGrp 4 is only a shell with a single pz Corps remaining..now withdrawn for refit. They will probably take over a infantry Corps or two to ease the command burden on AGC. Manstein is returned to the command pool awaiting further assignment.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 39
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/17/2012 5:43:47 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

Center-North

3PzGrp is falling back to pull armor off the line. We hold Kalinin bug the Russians are hugging it tightly. Basically Im waiting on the flanks to be cleared so 3pz can refit for the rest of mud. The 9th and 4th armies continue to grind..producing outstanding results. Im bunching 3-5 divisions per attack and causing 20-30k losses per turn in straight battle. Not bad for mud!

Further South the 2Pz Group pulls off the line to rest. Tula turns into a fortress city and Im contemplating my next move. All reinforcements head to the Center front and I've transferred a few divisions there. Going to do my best to encircle Moscow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 40
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/17/2012 5:46:18 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

Center-South

Not much happening here. Big gaps where both of us have left empty. Im starving Kursk right now and will take it soon. Otherwise 2nd Army is just laying low. The bulk of 6. Army has turned South but 1 Corps remains to keep the line honest.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 41
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/17/2012 5:47:55 PM   
Flaviusx

You were asking why any Soviet player would waste an army holding back the Finns at the chokepoint. Look at your map now and you'll see why. Imagine those same Finns at the Svir river.

Soviet players now count on Leningrad falling. It's practically an autoloss if the German really wants it.

But with the Finns contained up north, the loss can be managed and the line immediately stabilizes at the Volkhov river.

Not everybody agrees with this, a distressing number of Soviet players still buy into the false economy of a runaway to the Svir (which turns into a runaway to Yaroslavl) but more and more players are switching over to a forward defense up north.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 42
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/17/2012 5:52:55 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

T19 South

The Crimea is sealed off but he has some decent numbers buried inside. Not sure If I trust the Romanians to hold that gap or not. Im kind of in a dilemma as 11. Army is spread out everywhere. Were pushing to Rostov and holding the trapped Southern Front divisions. I've eliminated 2 of them so far but the rest can wait until November.

Right now I count 4 pockets awaiting destruction:
Leningrad: 11 Rifle divisions, 5 FR's, HQ staff
Kursk: 1 Rifle Division
South: 2 pockets containing 11 military formations with 10 being divisional level. The last may be a HQ..couldn't recon it.

He's at 2.93m losses so far and so when these units are destroyed it should knock off at least 200k more.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 43
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/17/2012 10:07:06 PM   
hfarrish

The Romanians won't hold anything against a determined Soviet assault. I'd be wary of leaving them without pre-planning some reserves to send in case they break down.

Post #: 44
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/18/2012 12:35:46 AM   
Pelton

The only person worse at Garrisoning citys then you is me

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 45
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/19/2012 9:51:09 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Disgruntled Veteran

sorry to disappoint but Lgrad is not isolated or starving as A game still controls the port and it is being supplied across the lake

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

Post #: 46
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/19/2012 9:52:10 AM   
sillyflower

and you seriously need to garrison cities properly

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 47
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/19/2012 4:18:32 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Disgruntled Veteran

sorry to disappoint but Lgrad is not isolated or starving as A game still controls the port and it is being supplied across the lake

Isolated. Map might be a bit too abstracted to see correctly. The only supply hes getting is air.

Post #: 48
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/19/2012 4:21:58 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

T22 North

Leningrad is ours. 5 Divisions destroyed. Sweet!

X Corps is castling to 16. Army right flank and I. Corps will move to winter vacation spots. LVI Panzer Corps has moved to Koenigsburg to act as a deep strategic reserve. The Grind in the Valdai hills has won the AGN/AGC some good defensive terrain and some breathing space. Winter positions going up everywhere.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 49
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/19/2012 4:28:16 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

Center

Let's face it. Moscow is perfectly safe this Winter. All Im doing is grinding away his blizzard strength. Ive set up winter positions but the line isn't manned so its going to get dicey in December. I didnt have time or initiative to position 2nd PzGp anywhere truly effective so I just had them attack to destroy units and win space. I really didn't play AGC correctly in the late summer.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 50
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/19/2012 4:32:40 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

South

The last of the pockets are gone. Rostov wont hold past next turn. AGS has done well. To answer my critics about garrisoning...most of my security brigades were used to box in that 25 division encirclement while AGS kept pushing East. He still managed to cut my line with one of his damned cav units before he died. I believe waiting until November to destroy these units was a mistake in hindsight. Having my Romanian units tied up really hurt my overall advance. In Leningrad it made sense but not here. Either way...

Im moving more 11. Army units to backdrop the Crimean "Gates" I'd hate to have a strong Soviet breakthrough in the Deep Flank.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 51
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/19/2012 4:34:50 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

Obituary

5 divisions still bagged in Leningrad with HQ and FZ's

Attachment (1)

Post #: 52
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/19/2012 5:14:55 PM   
Seminole

Are you going to secure the cities that give you Army Groups A and B?
You have your neck sticking out there at Rostov come blizzard, and I believe A-Game may have learned a thing or two about the utility of cavalry corps in our game (he's Axis).

Post #: 53
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/19/2012 5:18:58 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

Are you going to secure the cities that give you Army Groups A and B?
You have your neck sticking out there at Rostov come blizzard, and I believe A-Game may have learned a thing or two about the utility of cavalry corps in our game (he's Axis).

I'd love to but I dont think I can get all 3 and get back to safety before blizzard. Not with the major river in my way and all. Do you have to hold the cities for a turn or is merely raiding them good enough to release the AG? I just used one turn of snow and made good progress but If I have to hold those 3 for a turn it ain't happening.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 54
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/19/2012 10:49:42 PM   
sillyflower

You have to have all 3 at the start of a turn to get AG A+B.
Dnepr not an obstacle to your retreat ( or his advance ) come blizzard.

web exchange

Post #: 55
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/21/2012 1:24:50 AM   
Pelton

Good game looks to be a draw so far.

You plan on with drawing a hex or 2 a turn or stand and fighting?

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

Post #: 56
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/21/2012 2:23:06 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

Good game looks to be a draw so far.

You plan on with drawing a hex or 2 a turn or stand and fighting?

Not sure. I just read several AAR's during blizzard and its quite scary. Not sure the best approach tbh.

One thing I couldn't find in the manual. Is December particularly bad for the axis during first Winter or are all blizzard months the same? Either way I really don't want to lose ground.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 57
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 8/21/2012 2:36:26 AM   
Flaviusx

Each month the blizzard becomes progressively weaker. By February you can actually stand your ground. In December and January it's best to give ground, though, and limit the number of units that can launch attacks on you. Basically if you give up 2 hexes a turn most rifle units won't have the movement to catch you and attack. Only limited numbers of mech, cavalry and mountain units will be able to keep up.

All that being said, the blizzard isn't near as scary as it used to be. Look at Kamil's game. He wrecked the Germans, killed literally dozens of divisions, and the Wehrmacht bounced back quite smartly in summer of 42 and he's rather in trouble. The Germans did preserve their mech, the landsers took it in the chin.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 58
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 9/1/2012 11:35:56 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

Just a heads up! A-game and I decided to do a restart so this AAR is going to conclude. The Reason?

Well we were both doing well. I think we were at a operational tie depending on how blizzard went. The main reason was that we both learned a lot and we just wanted a redo. Another big reason is that we decided upon Random weather instead of non-random. I realize that by doing this I am probably going to regret it, but the idea of knowing every single weather turn does seem kind of silly.

Right now were in T7. Once A-game returns next turn I'm going to start another AAR. After all most of the first few opening turns are the same sequence anyways. Were off to a good start so look for my next AAR posting soon!

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 59
RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No... - 9/2/2012 1:10:05 AM   
bigbaba

bad news: we will miss a very intresting blizzard.

good news: the game is going on.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) No-A-game plz Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI