Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Disbanding perm restricted allied air

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Disbanding perm restricted allied air Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disbanding perm restricted allied air - 7/19/2012 7:27:01 PM   
jb123

I'm playing my first game started under the 6th official patch. Most of the changes are awesome, some are a headache, like all of the changed garrison requirements (made my LCU allocation spreadsheets obsolete).

One thing that I am now unsure of it disbanding permanent restricted allied air units, especially all those annoying groups on the West Coast.

My question: if I disband certain groups early, will I ever have to pay pps while they are in the reinforcement queue as long as I select NO when it asks me if I want to reform the group? I usually disband all the HQ groups, because I can use the airframes in the rest of the squadron. I also usually disband the B-17 group that withdraws almost right away (it used to give me PPs when I did that, no more. That's a bummer, because those PPs used to really help in December '41).

Anything I need to think about with the new patch? This is PBEM, so the margin of error is much less than playing the AI. I don't want to be bleeding PPs all of a sudden in mid '42.

(I know... I've read the manual and the update readme, I've also played about a million games, so I'm familiar with how the system used to work, I'm just wondering if anything gets funky because of the new official patch).

Thanks,

JB
Post #: 1
RE: Disbanding perm restricted allied air - 7/19/2012 8:26:46 PM   
Nikademus

if you disband/withdraw a group early that is slated to be "withdrawn" at some future point, you'll actually gain PP's.

Don't believe you gain any PP benefit from disbanding a unit that is not slated to withdraw. Me, first thing i do is disband all the annoying 2 plane units on the West coast and in other areas. I'd rather have the planes be availble for full squadrons.

Disbanding permanently restricted West Coast units is a good way to decrease your management duties by shortening the air groups list but be careful as there's always a slim chance that a sneaky Player One might try a raid of some sort.

(in reply to jb123)
Post #: 2
RE: Disbanding perm restricted allied air - 7/19/2012 8:43:59 PM   
jb123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

if you disband/withdraw a group early that is slated to be "withdrawn" at some future point, you'll actually gain PP's.

That's how it used to be, but in this game (The first one I started under the latest official patch) I do not gett PPs for disbanding the units. Like I said, it's a huge bummer.

I'm disbanding a few annoying squadrons and telling them to not reform. I always used to do this, but everything is so whack with the new PP rules in the new update that I want to make sure I'm not going to be losing PPS.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 3
RE: Disbanding perm restricted allied air - 7/19/2012 9:12:36 PM   
geofflambert

Nikademus generally knows a lot more than me, also a lot better than me, but it's always been the case that you get PPs only for selected units scheduled to withdraw but not all units scheduled to withdraw. Can't say I know why that is. Also, you never get points for units where you're not allowed to withdraw, but must disband. I always put all the pilots in general reserve before I do that so they're not lost. The important thing is you're not losing points for failing to do it.
Also, I never disband/withdraw anything I don't have to (like when their base is going to be captured and they have nowhere to escape to), but max out the pilots in the unit and set them to training, and you can get a lot of training done with only 2 planes in the unit. I understand wanting to have more airframes in the pool for replacements to the front line units, but I try to avoid it. Also I don't think those Bolos and Texans and etc. are worth much for anything other than training.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/19/2012 9:14:23 PM >

(in reply to jb123)
Post #: 4
RE: Disbanding perm restricted allied air - 7/19/2012 10:27:03 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: jb123

quote:

That's how it used to be, but in this game (The first one I started under the latest official patch) I do not gett PPs for disbanding the units. Like I said, it's a huge bummer.

I'm disbanding a few annoying squadrons and telling them to not reform. I always used to do this, but everything is so whack with the new PP rules in the new update that I want to make sure I'm not going to be losing PPS.

make sure its a unit that is slated to withdraw. post it to the tech forum. Last time I early withdrew a unit (ship or air unit) before it's depature date, I saw my PP count go up as it should.

(in reply to jb123)
Post #: 5
RE: Disbanding perm restricted allied air - 7/20/2012 1:09:42 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jb123

quote:

make sure its a unit that is slated to withdraw. post it to the tech forum. Last time I early withdrew a unit (ship or air unit) before it's depature date, I saw my PP count go up as it should.

This still works correctly for me too. Last night I disbanded three units a bit early in March 1942. I got 22 PPs for one and 7 for another, and don't recall the third.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 7/20/2012 1:12:07 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Disbanding perm restricted allied air Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI