Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT Proud dad

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OT Proud dad Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 12:02:34 PM   
wodin

Some of you may know I'm a single parent of an 11 year old girl called Freja.

I'm feeling quite proud so want to share.

She starts High School in September and the school have classed her as Gifted\Talented.

She wants to be a games developer when she is older;)

I've made lots of mistakes and I have definitely under achieved and not fulfilled what I could have done during my adult life one reason has been I've been abit unlucky with illness from neuropathy from a young age to a pituitary tumour I'm still dealing with another major reason was battling a serious drug addiction problem etc. However if there is one thing I'm proud of is that through it all I think I've done a pretty good job and couldn't be a prouder parent.

I hope she gets to my age and looks back and feels she hasn't wasted any time like I do.

Anyway here is to all the parents on here. Lets hope our kids have great lives and actually live but most of all are happy!

< Message edited by wodin -- 7/19/2012 12:06:14 PM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 1
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 12:28:56 PM   
Emir Agic

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I hope she gets to my age and looks back and feels she hasn't wasted any time like I do.

Anyway here is to all the parents on here. Lets hope our kids have great lives and actually live but most of all are happy!

Amen to that.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 12:29:03 PM   
Orm

quote:

Hear, hear.

quote:

Thank you for sharing and you have reason to be proud.

quote:

I hope that she becomes what she wants and have a lot of joy in her life.

Cheers Wodin.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress. - Captain Eric Moody

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 1:52:11 PM   
vonRocko

Hi Wodin, nothing is more important than family. She sounds lovely. I wish her well in high school!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 1:55:13 PM   
doomtrader

Congratulations wodin

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 5
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 5:05:16 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Congrats Wodin...you must have done something right she is still in school  Question....they call highschool in England Highschool?   I don' know what the levels of the English schools, levels are called.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 6
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 6:24:59 PM   
Walloc

quote:

I've made lots of mistakes and I have definitely under achieved and not fulfilled what I could have done during my adult life one reason has been I've been abit unlucky with illness from neuropathy from a young age to a pituitary tumour I'm still dealing with another major reason was battling a serious drug addiction problem etc. However if there is one thing I'm proud of is that through it all I think I've done a pretty good job and couldn't be a prouder parent.

Hi Wodin,

Well, no one but u can change how u feel. From what i hear it doesnt sound to me like u have wasted ur life. Most ppl will at some point in time of their life run into difficulty and problems. Be it self created, created by others or stuff seemingly comming out of the blue. The severity of such difficulties will by the nature of it vary. The possibilites are endless.

It seems u have turned ur life around, not to dimmish any problems or residue of them left in ur life. Non the less there have been points in ur life where u could have chosen differently. The path u could have taken could have been very different. Its far from all with drug addiction problems that make the decsions leading to a more productive life. You could have chosen that way too. Doesnt sound like u give ur self the credit for that. Well, i will.

Every choice we make have ramificantions. Seems like u made bad ones and u have or will have to deal with that. But u also made the ones that lead to u having a daugther with promise and ur are still here. Sounds like u have promise too. Doing better than if other paths/choices had been made.
Sure its only human wishing things could have been done differently. Different could be better, but different could just as well be worse. It could as easily be said that u have overachieved. Ego'es just tend to focus on the one over the other. Depence on how you view it.
Perceptions creates reality, reality creates perception.

Any how preaching over and congratulation on ur daugther and the good decisions made.

Rasmus

P.S Could the energy that feeds into feeling like having underachieved be used differently? (not that some thing like that is easily changed, many never can)

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/19/2012 6:46:32 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 7:27:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Some of you may know I'm a single parent of an 11 year old girl called Freja.

She starts High School in September and the school have classed her as Gifted\Talented.

Warspite1

Nice post wodin Nice that you want to share your good news too.

Hope you have brought Freja up to follow the Spurs?

Just one bum note re your post - High School? Really?

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 7:38:06 PM   
wodin

Always called it high school mate. It's actually a catholic Secondary school. Her Mums side being catholic. These days they usually are very good schools and this seems to be aswell.

yes she follows Spurs, also due to he Mums side who are devout followers of Everton she likes them aswell.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 7:45:24 PM   
wodin

@Walloc thanks for your thoughts. I was someone who never thought about age and getting older ever. Never bothered me at all. yet as soon as I hit forty last August I suddenly started thinking about it and how time just seems at times to slip through fingers. Especially if you where a Heroin addict which sorts of bubbles you off for however long your on it for. Years can go by and you barely notice. Also due to the severe pain I suffer I was kind of self medicating for neuropathy. plus I had the tumour which stops producing a certain chemical that heroin use replaces, so I suppose my body\brain was also missing this and wanted it on a sub conscious level. My tumour has indented the back of one eye and was not far from making me blind before I went about other related symptoms. Still shrinking it through emds before they take it out through my nose. I'd obviously had it years without knowing.

Anyway thats all in the past now. I will always be and addict, but so far it's been four years in September I think. Breaking free of an on and off heroin from '91 and crack use came into the mix in about '98.

Anyway this thread should be about our kids..or grandkids..

If your proud of your kids or grandkids put down their name and tell us why!! Just for being your is enough of a reason..

< Message edited by wodin -- 7/19/2012 8:05:27 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 8:49:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

If your proud of your kids or grandkids put down their name and tell us why!! Just for being your is enough of a reason..
Warspite1

I won't give their real names - but if I'm Warspite, let's just call my girls Coventry and Penelope.

The decision to go for chidren was the best thing that Mrs W and i did. We are immensely proud of them both.

I don't think either will trouble the scorers in the brains or sport dept (which is down to god) but they are well behaved, have good manners and speak nicely (which is down to
them).

Since they were born I have lived my life with one goal; when they are grown up, if they
think of me like I think of my dad, then I have succeeded as a father.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 10:22:36 PM   
wodin

Nice one Warspite..maybe I shouldn't have said her name..but I doubt anything could come from it..was abit silly then though.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 11:01:56 PM   
Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I won't give their real names - but if I'm Warspite, let's just call my girls Coventry and Penelope.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 13
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 11:10:37 PM   
ilovestrategy

I hear ya. My daughter is 18, has her own car and has a full time office job. There were times where she hated my guts for forcing her to go to school, come home on time and do her homework.

I ended up taking her bedroom door off the hinges once to show her who the master of the house was. My wife didn't read these forums so I can lie and say its me.

Or the time I went to her classroom in 8th grade and told her teacher in front of all of her classmates that I was talking away everything that she owns until the teacher called me and said she wasn't failing anymore. I'm lucky my daughter didnt hire a hitman after me!

She fought me all the way to graduating high school. She literally wore me out. It wasn't until about 6 months after she graduated that I physically felt strong again.

There is no way I could raise another teenager again.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/19/2012 11:12:38 PM   
ilovestrategy

And Wodin, a dude with a cool avatar like yours cannot be all that bad!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 15
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/20/2012 12:21:28 AM   
Zap

quote:

It's actually a catholic Secondary school. Her Mums side being catholic. These days they usually are very good schools and this seems to be aswell.

Good for her Moms choice on the school. Glad your in favor. Catholic school is Very good environment for your daughter to develop and grow in. It will give her a balanced growth in the arts and spitual side.
She will have a good foundation to meet lifes challenges and that "for sure " will increase her odds for happiness.

< Message edited by Zap -- 7/20/2012 12:45:16 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/20/2012 5:52:56 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap
quote:

It's actually a catholic Secondary school. Her Mums side being catholic. These days they usually are very good schools and this seems to be aswell.

Good for her Moms choice on the school. Glad your in favor. Catholic school is Very good environment for your daughter to develop and grow in. It will give her a balanced growth in the arts and spitual side.
She will have a good foundation to meet lifes challenges and that "for sure " will increase her odds for happiness.
Warspite1

Agreed. Both my little cruisers went to a catholic primary school (Mrs W is of that persuasion, and i am happy for my girls to follow that path) and the standard of teaching and discipline were excellent. Coventry passed the 11+ and got into a grammar school and we are hoping little Penelope will do the same. However, had Coventry failed or should her little sister not pass, there is an excellent Catholic secondary school down the road which we are more than happy with in terms of the standard of teaching, dress
code, discipline etc.

I am sure there are some not so good examples but from what I have heard and witnessed, catholic schools do a damn good job.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 17
RE: OT Proud dad - 7/20/2012 2:28:43 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Great post, Wodin! Hear hear!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OT Proud dad Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll