Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

NATO Icons confusion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> NATO Icons confusion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NATO Icons confusion - 7/19/2012 3:59:29 AM   
jomni

This is my first try in the series. But I have played ATG and I'm glad the UI is same.

But the NATO icons in DC is not dynamic. It does not conform to the elements inside the unit.
This means ARTY units still get INF or ARM NATO icons just because they are part of an INF / ARM Division.
I noticed that there's a little icon on the side to indicate that they are artillery.

Same goes with tanks, etc. I need to check the small icons on the side to see if they are PZ (tank) or Infantry to make sure what type of unit they are.
I've been fooled several times in my first game thinking that the unit is a tank unit only to find out that they are motorized infantry.

Now why not just change the NATO icon itself to skip this extra step? If you say it helps to keep organized and to easily know that they are part of a tank division, then we already have the counter highlights for that right?

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to get used to it. Sorry for the ranting.

< Message edited by jomni -- 7/19/2012 4:01:42 AM >

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator
Post #: 1
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/19/2012 5:07:08 AM   
Flaviusx

Yes this convention is somewhat confusing. Less so for the Soviets than the Axis, but it's not very user friendly either way.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 2
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/19/2012 8:29:00 AM   
PirateJock

I've fallen foul to that a couple of times as well. However the silouhette counters does show the right unit type ... unfortunately they don't have the Division designation on them like the NATO counters Otherwise I may have been able to *force* myself to play with silouhettes

Cheers

Edit: the silouhette does show Division if showing counters stacked at max zoom but not if you're showing max zoom unstacked (Key 3 toggle). Basically it would be less confusing showing the correct NATO symbol for the unit type irrespective of divisional designation.

< Message edited by PirateJock -- 7/19/2012 8:46:49 AM >

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 3
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/19/2012 10:36:15 AM   
Vic

This has been an issue of quite some debate for the previous game Decisive Campaigns : Warsaw To Paris.

Yes regimental units show their divisional NATO symbol...

Its a concious design choice and trade off. I think changing the nato graphic on a unit per unit basis makes it hard to quickly at a glance see where the whole (all units) division is.

It is something that could be quite easily modded if you really want to have more clarity. By changing the nato graphics 11.png and 16.png and give them some bright background or other large graphic to make them more obvious.

Best,
Vic

< Message edited by Vic -- 7/19/2012 10:37:14 AM >

Victor Reijkersz Designs
www.vrdesigns.nl

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 4
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/19/2012 11:18:39 AM   
balto

As Pirate Jock says, if you ZOOM in, you see.

I also ZOOM in, and toggle back and forth keys 1 and 2 several times so I get both NATO and Silouhettes. It is a little cumbersome, but there is never a misunderstanding that way.

I think it would be a good idea what when you are in the ATTACK screens and selecting units that you be able to toggle NATO (2) and Silouhettes (1). Presently, that is disabled when in the ATTACK screen.

< Message edited by balto -- 7/19/2012 11:26:56 AM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 5
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/19/2012 6:30:04 PM   
Arinvald

Yeah I think the Infantry NATO symbol for Artillery is very confusing because the Infantry symbol is so prominent and the little A beside it can get lost at a casual glance. I don't understand why the colored Division Bar is not enough to identify the parent Division. I don't have the game yet but eating up all the info I can on the game so maybe I am not understanding the issue correctly. Really need to wait until next week to order but you guys are making it very difficult.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 6
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/19/2012 11:29:17 PM   
WilliePete

I don't think it's really a big issue at all. Prior to reading this topic, I never even thought about it. Each infantry, motorized and armor unit will have it's organic artillery, and you just need to keep that in mind. After all, the main Nato symbol showing should be that of the parent unit showing what type of division it is, Infantry, Armor or Motorized. I like it fine the way it is!

If you like you can double-click on the unit name and change it! This is perfect for naming each regiment with their historical unit numbers for easier identification. However, this still will not make is easier to pick a unit out at a distance.

By the way, just buy the game. If you like this type of wargame, then CB is a no brainer. I just can't think of any other PC wargame out now that is this good!

< Message edited by WilliePete -- 7/20/2012 5:39:01 AM >

- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -

(in reply to Arinvald)
Post #: 7
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/20/2012 3:20:24 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

Yeah I think the Infantry NATO symbol for Artillery is very confusing because the Infantry symbol is so prominent and the little A beside it can get lost at a casual glance. I don't understand why the colored Division Bar is not enough to identify the parent Division. I don't have the game yet but eating up all the info I can on the game so maybe I am not understanding the issue correctly. Really need to wait until next week to order but you guys are making it very difficult.

Just buy the game. Now that you're aware of this, it's just a matter of getting used to the system.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to Arinvald)
Post #: 8
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/20/2012 4:15:28 AM   
Arinvald

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

quote:

Just buy the game. Now that you're aware of this, it's just a matter of getting used to the system.

quote:

Well I cracked and bought it tonight. Yes I am weak but this just seems too good not to grab asap.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 9
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/20/2012 7:01:41 AM   
redmarkus4

Welcome!

Here's why I like the game timescale. It gives you enough time to make smaller pockets, but it's tough to pocket a whole Soviet Army in one turn. The enemy has a chance to extract at least some of its forces, but not all.

I find this satisfying and there is a tension while you wait for the turn to resolve to see whether your pincers are still there and where the enemy is.

Attachment (1)

Cyberpower tower PC
Intel Core i7-3930k CPU, 3.20GHz processor
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards, each with 4095 MB
Realtek sound card
Dell 3007WFP (running at 2560x1600) 32 bit monitor
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit O

(in reply to Arinvald)
Post #: 10
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/20/2012 7:53:20 AM   
glvaca

quote:

Well I cracked and bought it tonight. Yes I am weak but this just seems too good not to grab asap.

No worries, you are in the company of weak men!

(in reply to Arinvald)
Post #: 11
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/20/2012 10:26:05 AM   
PirateJock

quote:

Join the club ... now have you seen the first game in the series, The Blitzkreig from Warsaw to Paris? They were doing a $10 discount on it last time I looked ... where's that devil smiley

Cheers

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 12
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/20/2012 10:29:14 AM   
PirateJock

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni
... Now that you're aware of this, it's just a matter of getting used to the system.

Agreed.

Cheers

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 13
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/20/2012 10:34:19 AM   
sanderz

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

Welcome!

Here's why I like the game timescale. It gives you enough time to make smaller pockets, but it's tough to pocket a whole Soviet Army in one turn. The enemy has a chance to extract at least some of its forces, but not all.

I find this satisfying and there is a tension while you wait for the turn to resolve to see whether your pincers are still there and where the enemy is.

Am at work at the moment so can't access the game - quick question - is the different terrain colour for enemy territory one of your mods or is it a standard in game option?

Thanks

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 14
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/20/2012 2:19:48 PM   
Arinvald

quote:

ORIGINAL: PirateJock

quote:

Join the club ... now have you seen the first game in the series, The Blitzkreig from Warsaw to Paris? They were doing a $10 discount on it last time I looked ... where's that devil smiley

Hmm, I may need to purchase that as well. Thanks for the heads-up. This system just seems so sweet.

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 15
RE: NATO Icons confusion - 7/20/2012 2:25:23 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: glvaca

quote:

No worries, you are in the company of weak men!

Hey, I cracked! Temptation was just too much for me...

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> NATO Icons confusion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI