Random Question

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

rich12545

Random Question

Post by rich12545 »

Maybe I'm getting this wrong, I don't know. But it seems to me that when setting up a random battle, I can't pick a map to play on. I have to pick a template? So how do these work in the game? What's the difference between a template and a map?
junk2drive

RE: Random Question

Post by junk2drive »

For a map to work in the random programs, it must have a template made for it that has locations that units can be placed on that map. The templates are not automatically made during the map making process.

So yes, picking a template is the same as picking a map, but your troops should show up in logical places. Hopefully [:D]
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

Heh. Hopefully. Well, there are 59 templates so, for me, I think the best way is to setup everything and then pick a random template.

Right now I'm still playing the tutorial scenario and getting wiped out.

Btw, I installed all the mods. Didn't fool with that program. Just backed up the files and overwrote them. I didn't notice a difference with your hud icons mod. What's it supposed to do?
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

They go in the Buttons folder inside the Media folder just to make sure you got them in the right place.

Screenshot in this thread

tm.asp?m=1236977
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: rich12545

Heh. Hopefully. Well, there are 59 templates so, for me, I think the best way is to setup everything and then pick a random template.

Right now I'm still playing the tutorial scenario and getting wiped out.

I think there may still be a few maps that for one reason or another do not have templates. You can also have more than one template for a map if you wanted to create a limited but still random setup, or if you thought that some of the setup locations were not very good. You wold just need to map a unique name for the template.

Also, you can select the template in the Random Battle generator, the Template you select will affect what dates are available (ie either winter or summer dates).

For the Tutorial Battle, have you tried following the tututorial narative?

One thing you will want to do is take out the AT guns as soon as you can. They can really really cause you some grief. Then close on the farmstead. Also make sure you get your HT's and Infantry into the woods cover and out of LOS of the enemy to avoid getting slammed with mortars.

Thanks
rick
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

Junk, I can see what changed and why I didn't notice anything.

Rick, I tried following the narrative but my battle didn't go the way it went. I'm continuing and will try different tactics like using one tank to scout and then using artillery to at least suppress the AT guns.

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”