Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions about Modding a Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Maps, Models and Mods >> Questions about Modding a Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/17/2012 7:27:53 AM   
tony luke

Greetings,

I am currently looking at making/editing a random campaign and was seeking some guidance from those with knowledge before committing. For ease of reference my questions are in bullet point format as follows:

• Firstly and most importantly can we add more units to the core force when editing that first scenario. The manual states; " For campaign purposes, the core units in all campaign scenarios should remain the same. The first scenario in a campaign sets the core battle group for the campaign, but changing the core units in future campaign scenarios will cause issues." This could be interpreted as either you cannot alter the core units at all or alternately you can add or delete as much as you want as long as it is only in the first scenario as the force will then carry over. Therefore, can I add more core units at the beginning? Was hoping to create a square battle group of a Tk Coy and an Inf coy with some supporting elements which would probably blow out to about 30 + units.
• Does the map size alter to match the increased force (if it is allowed?)?
• If I add units do they naturally update into better versions and models i.e. PzIII's to PZ IV's? and if so how do you determine their upgrade path so I know what units to have? For example if I wanted a core of a full Pz coy of Panthers is there a certain unit (platoon) to choose which has that upgrade path?
• Is there a limit to the core force in numbers?
• Does the AI automatically upgrade it's forces points wise to match your force if you (if you can) increase your core force?
• How would I get a Tiger platoon as part of a core force in a campaign that went from 42 to Aug 44???
• Lastly, is there any legendary modders out there who have already created some Div specific Long random Campaign games that we can access? Would love to see a Gross Deutschland or Wiking long campaign.

In thanks for anyone who can help guide me with some answers.

Regards,

AKL
Post #: 1
RE: Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/17/2012 8:14:54 AM   
Rick

quote:

ORIGINAL: tony luke

Greetings,

I am currently looking at making/editing a random campaign and was seeking some guidance from those with knowledge before committing. For ease of reference my questions are in bullet point format as follows:

• Firstly and most importantly can we add more units to the core force when editing that first scenario. The manual states; " For campaign purposes, the core units in all campaign scenarios should remain the same. The first scenario in a campaign sets the core battle group for the campaign, but changing the core units in future campaign scenarios will cause issues." This could be interpreted as either you cannot alter the core units at all or alternately you can add or delete as much as you want as long as it is only in the first scenario as the force will then carry over. Therefore, can I add more core units at the beginning? Was hoping to create a square battle group of a Tk Coy and an Inf coy with some supporting elements which would probably blow out to about 30 + units.
• Does the map size alter to match the increased force (if it is allowed?)?
• If I add units do they naturally update into better versions and models i.e. PzIII's to PZ IV's? and if so how do you determine their upgrade path so I know what units to have? For example if I wanted a core of a full Pz coy of Panthers is there a certain unit (platoon) to choose which has that upgrade path?
• Is there a limit to the core force in numbers?
• Does the AI automatically upgrade it's forces points wise to match your force if you (if you can) increase your core force?
• How would I get a Tiger platoon as part of a core force in a campaign that went from 42 to Aug 44???
• Lastly, is there any legendary modders out there who have already created some Div specific Long random Campaign games that we can access? Would love to see a Gross Deutschland or Wiking long campaign.

In thanks for anyone who can help guide me with some answers.

Regards,

AKL

I'll try to answer some of these. But the answers may take more than one message.

1. Core units in first scenario. -- When you create your first scenario, you decide which units you want to have as "core"units. As many of them as you like can be core. You can change the equimpent type of the core unit, as long as the uniq unit ID doesn't change.

2. No the map size is random, although you can restrict which maps are used for diferent periods in your random campaign.

3. In order for units to upgrade equipment, you have to create a "key" battleplan for the date that they upgrade. Then use the unit unit ID with the upgraded equipment. not all platoons have to upgrade at the same time. subsequent battleplans must use the upgraded equipment.

4. No limit to number of core units, but more tends to get hard to manage.

5. yes AI force points will be adjusted based on your force points, but that means you need to make sure you allocate enough points for you core force.

6. You can create the platoon with some lower equipment, then in Feb 44 create a battle plan that gives that platoon Tigers. Then the final battle plan that runs from 2/44 to 8/44 would have them using tigers.

You can check any of the random campaigns for some examples. I'm pretty familiar with the 3rd Pz, but it doesn't have equipment upgrades in it.

These are pretty short answers, but please feel free to post more questions and I'd be glad to help.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to tony luke)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/17/2012 10:42:33 AM   
tony luke

Hi Rick, and thank you for you the response and answers.

I thought that I could just modify an existing Random Campaign? For example just take the 7th Pz Div Long Campaign and then edit the core units in the first scenario and let the rest remain unchanged (but change name, intro, epilogue etc). Though I must admit I cannot find any file as described in the manual: 14.9. EDITING SCENARIOS We’ll use a simple example of wanting to change the victory points and location of an objective and add a tank platoon to the first campaign scenario. Open the file “Level01.xml” in the \Data\Scenaros\ folder. The first section of text looks as follows I Can't find any file matching that desription/characteristics!

So are you saying that I have to create 50 + scenarios of my own to create a Campaign? i.e. build it from scratch all the way through?

You use the term Battle Plan? is this your own terminology for how you plan a campaign? or am I missing something in the manual.

I suspect that I am not fully across the required steps to create a campaign and am missing a few key steps, but have read the instructions several times and they seem clear enough ..... Need more of a step by step idiots guide!

Diving back into the manual for another read.

Again, thanks for the assist .

Cheers,

AKL

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/17/2012 7:22:40 PM   
Rick

quote:

Hi Rick, and thank you for you the response and answers.

I thought that I could just modify an existing Random Campaign? For example just take the 7th Pz Div Long Campaign and then edit the core units in the first scenario and let the rest remain unchanged (but change name, intro, epilogue etc). Though I must admit I cannot find any file as described in the manual: 14.9. EDITING SCENARIOS We’ll use a simple example of wanting to change the victory points and location of an objective and add a tank platoon to the first campaign scenario. Open the file “Level01.xml” in the \Data\Scenaros\ folder. The first section of text looks as follows I Can't find any file matching that desription/characteristics!

So are you saying that I have to create 50 + scenarios of my own to create a Campaign? i.e. build it from scratch all the way through?

You use the term Battle Plan? is this your own terminology for how you plan a campaign? or am I missing something in the manual.

I suspect that I am not fully across the required steps to create a campaign and am missing a few key steps, but have read the instructions several times and they seem clear enough ..... Need more of a step by step idiots guide!

Diving back into the manual for another read.

Again, thanks for the assist .

Cheers,

AKL

Tony,

Sorry, I think I misunderstood. I didn't catch that you wanted to edit an existing Random Campaign.

What you will want to read is the Readme.rtf or the What's new document. I think there are instructions in there that will enable you to do what you want much easier than creating a new Random Campaign. Also there is another document in the Manuals folder named Random Battle and Campaign Generator Addendum. I would read it first, then read the What's New pdf in the game folder for a simplified procedure for editing an exising random campaign.

But also, a new random campaign can be created without creating 50+ scenarios (or Battleplans) Battleplans are what I call the files that are found in the Battles directory. The Battles directory hold the files that are similar to scenarios, but only contain some of the information.

I think you're right though. A step by step guide would probably be a good idea.

Sorry for confusing the issue.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to tony luke)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/18/2012 9:57:17 AM   
tony luke

Rick,

Again many thanks for the info and advice. I'll check the read me in the file, the other document in the manuals folder wasn't much good that I could see. Will let the forum know how it goes, and if anyone out there has achieved the goal let us know the process, please.

Regards,

AKL

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/18/2012 3:49:07 PM   
Mobius

wrong thead.

< Message edited by Mobius -- 7/18/2012 3:51:27 PM >

(in reply to tony luke)
Post #: 6
RE: More Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/22/2012 4:03:23 AM   
tony luke

Hi Rick (or Anyone else interested),

I followed the Info in the read me file and have seemed to successfully create my own core force and get it to load etc. Now, the only file I modded was the Campaign Core units file, and I added several new upgrade paths in there; such as upgrading a couple of Pz Platoons to PzIIIJ/1 in 1/42 (first date available, 1/1/42), and the PzIVE changing to a Tiger I Platoon in Fall 42 (1/9/42). Will these upgrades occur without changing any other file??? My concern is that I note that in the original files for the 1st Pz Div Long Campaign, which I used as my shell/stucture, that certain scenarios in the Random Campaign File were called Upgrades as opposed to attacks, defends, mix etc. Grateful for any confirmation or advice.

Regards,

Tony

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 7
RE: More Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/22/2012 4:15:49 AM   
Rick

quote:

Hi Rick (or Anyone else interested),

I followed the Info in the read me file and have seemed to successfully create my own core force and get it to load etc. Now, the only file I modded was the Campaign Core units file, and I added several new upgrade paths in there; such as upgrading a couple of Pz Platoons to PzIIIJ/1 in 1/42 (first date available, 1/1/42), and the PzIVE changing to a Tiger I Platoon in Fall 42 (1/9/42). Will these upgrades occur without changing any other file??? My concern is that I note that in the original files for the 1st Pz Div Long Campaign, which I used as my shell/stucture, that certain scenarios in the Random Campaign File were called Upgrades as opposed to attacks, defends, mix etc. Grateful for any confirmation or advice.

Regards,

Tony

I think those should be the only files you need to modify.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks!
rick

(in reply to tony luke)
Post #: 8
RE: More Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/22/2012 4:47:47 AM   
tony luke

Keeps crashing whilst running the "Building Campaign" phase at the same point stating - unable to place core platoon (s) "Nebelwerfer Bty" with this template. The first time it couldn't place two Platoons (this Bty - a core unit I created) and a Pz platoon. The next two attempts it just couldn't place the Nebelwerfer Bty. Happens at the same point in the same template (Kessel) Summer 44. Dam, don't even know what to look at to try and fix it. Any one know???

Regards,

Tony

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 9
RE: More Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/22/2012 5:06:40 AM   
junk2drive

General answer

The Summer 44 xml picks a map from a list of possible maps. One or all or the choices does not have a nebelwerfer location on it.

(in reply to tony luke)
Post #: 10
RE: More Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/22/2012 6:04:06 AM   
tony luke

Greetings Junk2drive,

So .... the method of correction would be? Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Tony

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 11
RE: More Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/22/2012 6:13:51 AM   
junk2drive

In the battles folder, I couldn't find a file named German Summer 44 (kessel), did you create one?

Did you add the nebelwerfer to your units list? It is possible that none of the templates have nebelwerfers but not likely.

See if you can narrow it down from the error log or the on screen message. Maybe Rick can fix the template.

(in reply to tony luke)
Post #: 12
RE: More Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/22/2012 6:33:12 AM   
Rick

Tony,

If you have a Nebelwerfer as part of your core force, try removing it and see if it runs then. there are actually two kessel templates, one with "support" and one without. if you have support units that include Offmap artillery, then the kessel with support SETUP file should get used, but otherwise, it might use the kessel with no support SETUP file.

If you want to zip up your Campaign Core unit file and upload it here I can take a look at it. This iwas a modification of the 1st Panzer Long Campaign Right?

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 13
RE: More Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/25/2012 8:56:19 AM   
tony luke

Hi Guys,

The scenario that it failed on said something like Kessel Cut off, and was in Summer or late summer 44. I took the Nebelwerfers out and the scenario loaded and checked out fine - so I assume it is a template issue as mentioned. And, yes, it was a modified 1st Panzer campaign.

Looking forward to seeing if the upgrades I put in work, first one occurs in Jan 42 as a Platoon will upgrade from IIIH to IIIJ/1, will let you know.

I really need to add up the points the AI gets! My core force is 14 x Tanks (10 x IIIH and 4 x IVE), 9 x PzGdr Squads, and 4 x SDFZ 222. My last battle number 4 or 5 (?) I counted some 20 x ATG (6 x 76mm, and 14 x 45mm), 12 x squads, 2 x KV-2, 3 x BA10, about 12 - 15 x BT5/T26, 4 x HMG, and 2 x 122mm HOW. Bloody Hell! in my curent one if have just seen 4 x KV-1, in July ........... not looking good...............

Regards and thank you for all the advice and help,

Tony

< Message edited by tony luke -- 7/26/2012 9:03:13 AM >

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 14
RE: More Questions about Modding a Campaign - 7/25/2012 4:48:29 PM   
Rick

quote:

Hi Guys,

The scenario that it failed on said something like Kessel Cut off, and was in Summer or late summer 44. I took the Nebelwerfers out and the scenario loaded and checked out fine - so I assume it is a template issue as mentioned. And, yes, it was a modified 1st Panzer campaign.

Looking forward to seeing if the upgrades I put in work, first one occurs in Jan 42 as a Platoon will upgrade from IIIH to IIIJ/1, will let you know.

I really need to add up the points the AI gets! My core force is 18 x Tanks (14 x IIIH and 4 x IVE), 12 x PzGdr Squads, and 4 x SDFZ 222. My last battle number 4 or 5 (?) I counted some 20 x ATG (6 x 76mm, and 14 x 45mm), 12 x squads, 2 x KV-2, 3 x BA10, about 12 - 15 x BT5/T26, 4 x HMG, and 2 x 122mm HOW. Bloody Hell! in my curent one if have just seen 2 x KV-1, in July ........... not looking good...............

Regards and thank you for all the advice and help,

Tony

yes, please do let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!
Rick

(in reply to tony luke)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Maps, Models and Mods >> Questions about Modding a Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI