Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Mods and Scenarios >> Map Mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map Mod - 7/17/2012 3:21:04 AM   
LiquidSky

Okay..I am playing around with the graphics, and have some questions.

In the graphics folder you have DC2, DC2BIG, DC2SMALL

Which contain the graphics for the map. I also notice that you have dccmodgraphics etc. Which I assume is for modders to put their changed graphics.

My question is, how can I keep the original graphics in DC2 etc, and put mine in DCCbmodgraphics etc and have them used?

As a side note I notice the file defaultmod.txt which looks promising....but I don't know how to use it. Unless it is for setting up different mod folders to be used for different mods. Which begs back to the original question, how do I load my custom graphics, without resorting to overwriting the orginal DC2 etc folders?

Just a taste of what I am working on, just a quick test...here I have only changed the plain green of the clear hexes to something more colourful

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 7/17/2012 3:23:15 AM >

What's the sense of sending $2 million missiles to hit a $10 tent that's empty?

— President George W. Bush, Oval Office meeting, 13 September 2001.
Post #: 1
RE: Map Mod - 7/17/2012 7:13:54 AM   
glvaca

Looks great! Can't wait to use it!

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 2
RE: Map Mod - 7/17/2012 9:36:06 AM   
Vic

Hi Liquid,

Check 7.6 and 7.7 in the editor walkthrough.

The walkthrough isnt complete so I will answer questions here as well.

Basically all the graphics the game needs are in the systemgraphics directories. The dccbmodgraphics directory can overload some of those and adds the nato graphics.
If you want to create a scenario using different graphics without overwriting i would copy the dccbmodgraphics directorieS and rename them liquidmodgraphics. In this directory you can than place anything to override the normal systemgraphics. If you want to change the landscapegraphics just put a any new directory inside the graphics directory go to 'LT' and reload the graphics in question from that location.

As for the defaultmod.txt you can do the following little experiment. Create a directory called 'mods' inside the same directory as the 'defaultmod.txt' file. Now add a copy of defaultmod.txt inside the 'mods' directory. If you now start up the game you will be able to chose which startup script you want to use. This can be usefull if a modder wants to make a mod that changes everything including the main game menu. Basically you can make a whole new DC game with this setup.

best,
Vic

Victor Reijkersz Designs
www.vrdesigns.nl

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 3
RE: Map Mod - 7/17/2012 12:12:38 PM   
TJD

Nice work technically but the landscape you've created doesn't look very "Soviet". It looks very Western. In the SU in those days land wasn't divided into neat private parcels of the sort shown in your mod. Much of the area covered by Case Blue was still undifferentiated steppe, and cultivated areas were typically plotted on very large scales.

I'd like to see gfx modders work first on woods and cities.

Best,

Tim

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 4
RE: Map Mod - 7/17/2012 1:21:50 PM   
redmarkus4

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJD

Nice work technically but the landscape you've created doesn't look very "Soviet". It looks very Western. In the SU in those days land wasn't divided into neat private parcels of the sort shown in your mod. Much of the area covered by Case Blue was still undifferentiated steppe, and cultivated areas were typically plotted on very large scales.

Best,

Tim

+1 but good to know that it's modifiable and that someone is willing to spend the time doing it! I would suggest that you keep a DC or WitE 'feel' to whatever you do - improve but don't radically deviate. Just an opinion...

Cyberpower tower PC
Intel Core i7-3930k CPU, 3.20GHz processor
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards, each with 4095 MB
Realtek sound card
Dell 3007WFP (running at 2560x1600) 32 bit monitor
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit O

(in reply to TJD)
Post #: 5
RE: Map Mod - 7/17/2012 1:32:02 PM   
DBeves

quote:

Best,

Tim

I kind of like the cities and forests - its just the glaring pure green of the open ground I dont much care for

(in reply to TJD)
Post #: 6
RE: Map Mod - 7/17/2012 1:47:01 PM   
Keunert

the bigger cities could do with a different city center hex. but that's probably hard to do.

(in reply to DBeves)
Post #: 7
RE: Map Mod - 7/17/2012 5:42:48 PM   
LiquidSky

quote:

Best,

Tim

:) the graphics I took from a google earth picture of the steppes :) Granted, it is 70 years later. I did the same for cities (random russian cities) and marsh (using the marsh around stalingrad - err volgograd ) when I decided playing the game was more fun then working. At the moment, all I have done is changed the colour of the florescent green to a darker, less saturated one, and made all the water a deeper blue, so my old eyes can see the streams/rivers/volga.

The big thing with the cites and woods is the way they 'bleed' into the adjacent hexes....not sure if I like that or not as it makes all the cities look kinda multihex blobby. As well, it will be a fair bit of work, as I have to take every possible combination graphic to create a selection so that I can 'stamp' out terrain from an photograph.

As for making a mod and assigning its own custom graphics, I am pretty sure I know how to do that based on the manual and my own random experiments. What I would like to do is leave the original in-game graphics alone, and have my own which override them when playing the vanilla game. I was hoping there was going to be an ini/txt file somewhere (or perhaps the game automatically searches the dccbmod folders first, then dc2 folder second when looking for a graphics file).

I do like all the different choices you provide us for modding..and will probably spend days and days doing it...but not now, not while I am enjoying the main campaign so much :)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 7/17/2012 5:46:51 PM >

What's the sense of sending $2 million missiles to hit a $10 tent that's empty?

— President George W. Bush, Oval Office meeting, 13 September 2001.

(in reply to TJD)
Post #: 8
RE: Map Mod - 7/18/2012 11:16:47 AM   
GFelz

I like your first attempt although I understand the steppe was not that developed so long ago. I look forward to your next offering!

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 9
RE: Map Mod - 7/18/2012 1:57:48 PM   
wodin

remember the soil had a pink red tone aswell I believe not brown..I'd have the current open green hex's more a subdued pink colour...try it it might work.

< Message edited by wodin -- 7/18/2012 1:59:41 PM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to GFelz)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Mods and Scenarios >> Map Mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI