Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

is it good for newbies?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> is it good for newbies? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
is it good for newbies? - 7/16/2012 7:45:37 PM   
gattok

I'm not totally newbe but i'm askin' if there is a good manual or tutorial?
Post #: 1
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/16/2012 7:49:09 PM   
mercho

I am in the same situation as you. I just started the game for the first time, and there is a tutorial (don'z know how good / long it is) and the manual has about 104 pages.So it should cover most parts of the game i will say.There is also a replacement guide, a reinforcment guide, order of battle guide and an editor guide.

mercho

(in reply to gattok)
Post #: 2
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/16/2012 7:57:17 PM   
Webizen

The game's complexity rating is labeled "Intermediate, Advanced." That said I believe almost any Matrix Games wargamer can learn to play this game. If you have played Advanced Tactics or its follow on, Advanced Tactics Gold, you'll have a leg up on the learning curve. Of course, if you have play Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris, you should be able to launch right into it with just a minimal learning curve.

Webizen (Matrix)
Tac2i (Slitherine)

(in reply to mercho)
Post #: 3
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/16/2012 9:30:49 PM   
sulla05

There is a lot to do in a turn but the UI and the manual etc. make it so it is not overwhelming.

It might look to complex at first but just ease into it with the smaller scenarios.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 4
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/16/2012 10:09:40 PM   
spelk

I'd say it's easy to play, once you understand the thought process involved in running a turn.

Take a look at my Warsaw to Paris AAR's here:
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?page_id=1123

And my Case Blue Preview AAR - which covers one of the short "learner" scenarios - the 2nd Battle of Kharkov.
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=38802

I try to explain every decision and action I make, so they take me a long time to knock out, but hopefully they'll give readers an idea as to the methodology of playing the game. I must stress that I'm no expert at these games, just an enthusiastic novice, who enjoys wargaming the history on offer with these titles.

spelk @ sugarfreegamer.com

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 5
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/16/2012 10:46:35 PM   
gattok

I know it's an intermediate game but i don't think it could be a problem if well explained. I asked for the quality of the manual because a friend of mine borrowed me the one of Warsav to Paris and I've found it lacking in many parts (nowhere was explained the icons of the counters for example) and the game itself, if I remember well, had no tutorial at all.

(in reply to spelk)
Post #: 6
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/16/2012 11:05:52 PM   
MikeToth

I would say a newbie should have no problems with this game. It's a gem

< Message edited by MikeToth -- 7/16/2012 11:07:41 PM >

(in reply to gattok)
Post #: 7
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/17/2012 12:10:02 AM   
LiquidSky

Well..I have never played its older sibling Warsaw to Paris, but I have played many other computer wargames. Without reading the manual I was able to jump into the campaign and move units, attack and such. After reading the manual, I was able to launch airstrikes, recon hexes.... It seems to be a fairly easy UI.

Not sure yet how to guage whether or not to launch an attack, but that will come with some experience.

I wish that when I hit the right mouse button = escape key..although I could reprogram my mouse to do that, to easily exit menu's

Lots of stuff for me to figure out, but so far it seems like a very nice game, and I am glad I spent the money to buy it.

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 7/17/2012 12:11:06 AM >

What's the sense of sending $2 million missiles to hit a $10 tent that's empty?

— President George W. Bush, Oval Office meeting, 13 September 2001.

(in reply to MikeToth)
Post #: 8
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/17/2012 2:20:01 AM   
rosseau

At $40, it is an astounding package, and learning the game system is half the fun. Being rather slow to begin with, I found the first DB quite the challenge. Even more so than WitE for me, as it's easier to push counters in that game. It seems less is "hidden under the hood" in DB, so you need to use your noodle, even against the AI.

This is the most excited I've been about a release since WitE. Have fun!

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 9
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/17/2012 3:26:05 AM   
Dale H

It is a very intuitive game engine. The mechanism for movement, artillery or indirect fire and direct combat is a little different but very easy to learn and the tutorial in the first game did a good job explaining how to do things. Compared to WitE Decisive Campaigns has a learning curve that is not so steep. I happen to think it is a good engine for a newbie to learn on. The smaller scenarios in the first game were excellent for learning. Beware, however, the number of units involved in the larger scenarios may be daunting at first. One of the best gaming experiences available imltho. There were weaknesses in the first game manual but hopefully they have been remedied. Run, don't walk, to get this game.

(in reply to gattok)
Post #: 10
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/17/2012 10:41:08 AM   
redmarkus4

"imltho"? :)

wdtsf? (what does that stand for?) ianoihsb! (its a new one I haven't seen before!)

Managers read statistics and tune processes. Leaders interpret statistics and determine strategy.

(in reply to Dale H)
Post #: 11
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/17/2012 1:30:32 PM   
PirateJock

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

wdtsf? (what does that stand for?) ianoihsb! (its a new one I haven't seen before!)

in my less than humble opinion ? Big head

Cheers

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 12
RE: is it good for newbies? - 7/17/2012 2:25:35 PM   
Dale H

lmaaho!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: PirateJock

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

in my less than humble opinion ? Big head

Cheers

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> is it good for newbies? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI