Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Building Soviet rail network

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Building Soviet rail network Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Building Soviet rail network - 7/15/2012 2:19:45 PM   
jamesm

I am looking for some advice on how to speed up Soviet railway construction after capturing large amounts of territory. It seems to be taking along time to build it up. I have tried different strategies such as putting allot of railway construction brigades into front HQs and then into STAVKA, all that seem to do is to allow the game to place most of those units into the Military Districts HQs.

I tried placing Front HQs in areas where the rail network is not operational with allot more RR construction brigades, in the hope that the rail network would radiate from this location to no avail (I eventually learned that you have to RR construction brigades adjacent to already functional tracks for them to work).

Even after 8 months after capture the progress is slow (Smolensk to Warsaw is not connected by rail), with only 4 NKPS Corps you can not do much manually.
Post #: 1
RE: Building Soviet rail network - 7/15/2012 2:34:44 PM   
delatbabel

Keep your HQs locked.

I find nothing works as well as having a RR construction brigade in each forward army HQ. You need more than just the front HQs, I build a lot more RR brigades than most people and it seems to work for me.

--
Del

(in reply to jamesm)
Post #: 2
RE: Building Soviet rail network - 7/15/2012 3:07:39 PM   
Walloc

Hehe, the periodes before u get NKPSs are even "funnier".

My tricks of the trade are, but understand RR bde a manpower drain. So ppls opinions will differ on this, ofc depending on how much manpower u have/how desperate u are in need of it for frontline units. Supply situasion and so on.

Have 6-8 RR bdes in each front HQ and keep them there(locked HQs) from the time u need to advance. No need to buy them/have em front HQs before that.
U can do with less, 4 not being a bad number, but since i like my RRs, espcially what they do to save my truck pool so i make sure every possible hex gets repair each turn, also in bad weather turns. Since i never found my self in desperate need of manpower i guess its been a luxury i've have been able to afford.

Here are the actual tricks. As u learned u can only repair a hex that is adjcent to an alrdy repaired one, this is importand to understand.

I'll look each turn at the map/RR lines, see what hexes that are up for repair the next turn(between turns). Its a chore, takes time but that is the way it is. U want maximum effeciency, it takes time.
Make sure u never EVER block reparing of rails(behind the actual frontline hexes). Let say u have 3 units on the next hex in line for repair. Stacking wise there is no room for RR bde/bdes to be in the hex. So u wont get any repair done. Note depending on weather some times u need 1 RR bde to fully repair a hex in other weather conditions u need more. Make sure u always have room for the bde in the actual RR hexes that is about to be repaired.(if u understand in what weather u need how many u can actually manipulate the system. Many times the AI puts more RR bdes in a hex than needed. Well what if there stacking wise "magicly" is only room for exactly how many is needed. Well then the AI cant use to many, possibly saving the unit for other hexes.)
Ill need 10$ for revealing that one

Once u start to get NKPS units it obviously get easier. One tends to use those units espcially when u only have 1 or 2 of them to support u advances and nothing wrong in that. Non the less there are times where ones use of them can require some more thot process.
Repairing a RR line that has many "branches" allows for the RR bdes to start repairing the branches after/while the NKPS repairs the main line.
Especially if u have enough of NKPS units that when advancing u make intersections of branches between the main lines that RR bdes than can repair for each side. In essence "doubling" the speed of repair. U cant always use this, some times the events dicates what main RR u have to repair with NKPS units, but as long as this is in the thot process it can help.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/15/2012 3:25:06 PM >

(in reply to jamesm)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Building Soviet rail network Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI