Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 7/18/2012 3:51:48 PM   
Mobius

I looked at the Tutorial in the patch and played it a number of times. The mortar battery has been nerfed so much there were almost no mortar hits scored. I think the loses tony luke experienced were due to hits from the 45mm AT guns.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 31
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 7/18/2012 8:27:27 PM   
k9mike

I was going to say....My experience with arty in this game prior to the patch has been very fair and accurate...most of the time doesnt hit too much, but helps pin soldiers and button up tanks and stuff. Like its supposed to. My biggest complaint with game before was the AT gun movement, and infantry movement stuff. But, still good debate none the less. ;)

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 32
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 7/19/2012 9:44:34 PM   
Yoozername

I have played that demo and find it hard to believe anyone could get more than one hit, let alone two meaningful hits. As Mobius has posted, once a hit is secured, then it has to be a turret hit, and then it only has a small chance to do damage.

I am actually fine with the small damage percentage (4%) since turret roof armor includes a fan that naturally would have some direct opening to the interior, the hatches may have had VERY thin armor or edge areas, and possibly a chance of getting a hit right behind the gun shield. I still say fragmentation from a typical cast iron mortar bomb would have little to no chance of making penetrations on armor.

(in reply to k9mike)
Post #: 33
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 7/20/2012 12:10:42 AM   
Mobius

I don't object to try to tweak the 81-82mm iron shell mortars more. See how that plays.
As it is right now they are singled out to penetrate 6% less than steel body shells.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 34
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 7/22/2012 8:26:59 AM   
Yoozername

quote:

ORIGINAL: k9mike

I was going to say....My experience with arty in this game prior to the patch has been very fair and accurate...most of the time doesnt hit too much, but helps pin soldiers and button up tanks and stuff. Like its supposed to. My biggest complaint with game before was the AT gun movement, and infantry movement stuff. But, still good debate none the less. ;)

I thought it was productive. This game, to me, should be as precise as possible as far as weapon's effects. I am very much keen on having 'MikeyD' type yahoo posts NOT being here. As much fun as it may be for fanboys to back up any contentious issue with a 'I knew a guy that read once about something like this..." post, meant to sway the silent majority, being my main concern. I can certainly post data to back up my side of any argument. I hope others can too. I think Mobius at least appreciates that it isn't personal. MR probably thinks everything is personal. But it isn't. I am just disappointed at the level of technical discussion at so called wargame websites.

(in reply to k9mike)
Post #: 35
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 7/22/2012 4:40:40 PM   
Mobius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yoozername
I am just disappointed at the level of technical discussion at so called wargame websites.
Wargames sites don't have a motivation to look too closely at what might be technical challenges to their game system or data.
The most open discussions on technical issues would be sites on tanks, ships, aircraft, wwII or computer or miniatures games in general.
Though the ability to care about some small point, which may be important in the context of a game, might be lacking.

I would like to say we enjoy with the xml data collection the ability to easily try what-if changes. Most other games have their data hidden in encrypted files or hard coded in their exe so it is much harder to make data changes.

< Message edited by Mobius -- 7/22/2012 6:00:59 PM >

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 36
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 8/14/2012 3:35:24 AM   
Yoozername

I suppose it's like 'Hollywood'. They are not as motivated as making a precise war movie as they are at making some entertainment.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 37
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 8/14/2012 5:06:34 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

MR probably thinks everything is personal. But it isn't. I am just disappointed at the level of technical discussion at so called wargame websites.

I don't think the technical discussions get personal. Sometimes, IMO, the comments and the tones do.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 38
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 8/14/2012 5:08:51 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

I suppose it's like 'Hollywood'. They are not as motivated as making a precise war movie as they are at making some entertainment.

There is always the issue of how much game and how much sim goes into each offering you get to choose from. No game will please everyone no matter what it has in it or what model you use, how your interface works, etc...

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 8/14/2012 5:09:57 AM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 39
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 8/14/2012 11:15:18 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

There is always the issue of how much game and how much sim goes into each offering you get to choose from. No game will please everyone no matter what it has in it or what model you use, how your interface works, etc...

Good Hunting.

MR

So very true

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 40
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 8/18/2012 5:12:36 PM   
Yoozername

Some interesting data in regards to US armor casualties and repair. They list the cause of the damage and the repair success.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 41
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 8/18/2012 9:10:22 PM   
Rick

Those are interesting stats. Does the document indicate if mortar included other Art types?

thanks
Rick

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 42
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 8/18/2012 9:56:34 PM   
Yoozername

UNIT RECONSTITUTION - A HISTORICAL
PERSPECTIVE
by Dr. 'Edward J. Drea

It's available online.

I don't think it's specified. I take Gunfire to include both direct and indirect guns/howitzers. Clearly mortars are not tank killers or even damaging that many tanks.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 43
RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still - 8/18/2012 11:24:45 PM   
danlongman

I am pretty sure the gunfire number is from direct and indirect fire.
The number of repairable indicates a lower number of catastophic hits
by gunfire. In many armoured units the greatest number of human casualties
were caused by indirect fire, even when the units had been in tank to tank
engagements. Direct hits by Panzerfaust, Panzerschreck and Tank guns are frequently
fatal to the vehicle. On the other had indirect fire causes repairable damage
and personnel losses since the tank crews did not spend all their time inside
buttoned up when they weren't expecting to move.
cheers

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> RE: Off Board Arty - Way too Effective ... Still Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI